Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi David, to be honest, it is probably me not explaining myself very well!

When I first started this silly project, I made two boards; Board 1 which has the inspection pits and houses the Main shed, and Board 2 the main stabling area out the front of the depot. The latter became more of a work bench and storage area for the project which is why the depot floor pieces have been put on it. It proved very useful for putting things on for painting and spraying!
So at the moment the depot floor pieces have been laid out on it from when I sprayed them, it will also allow me to weather them in some sort of order!
Recently I decided to replace the original Board 2 with a new one and also build Board number 3.
Hope that makes sense!

Hopefully this will help, a few photos:

Board 1

post-7236-0-75628400-1525511963_thumb.jpg

post-7236-0-71839700-1525511944.jpg

Boards 1 and 2

post-7236-0-77263400-1525511992.jpg

Board2

post-7236-0-27914300-1525512009.jpg

post-7236-0-03575800-1525512018.jpg

Boards 2 and 3

post-7236-0-28838400-1525512038.jpg

Looking at old Board 2 sitting on Board 3

post-7236-0-76109200-1525512054.jpg

Here is a basic track plan which will hopefully show the three Boards and my planning for the depot project. This is taken from my track plan which will eventually be used to produce the final track plan in Templot. Hopefully later this year!

post-7236-0-73553600-1525512064_thumb.png

• Like 6

Yesterday, Will kindly helped check the wiring for the inspection pits. A few minor issues which were easily rectified, disconnected/unsoldered wires, and all pits have power. Normal service has been resumed!
I am really pleased, it seems like a long time ago that I actually ran something on Boxenby!

A few photos to show that power really is there!

41951590131_fb0446f97c_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

40145066680_cebfac2f8c_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

41951589081_7f9c556a46_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I have to say the 47818 does look good sat on the inspection pit!

• Like 6

Finished assembling some builders trestles this evening, these are now ready for the new boards to be put up on.

40971997485_57aaf9fff0_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

My plan is over the next week to get the electrics checked to make sure that all the pits still have power to them after the house move, then to make a start on weathering the depot floor. Deja Vu?.....

Lol

post-7252-0-80392400-1525725196_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Crisis Rail

Hi

This will be huge when its completed, it reminds me of Toton or it will do...

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie, hopefully it will be a decent representation of Toton, albeit a smaller version. Well, that's the plan!

A long way to go yet but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Snap Ian!

I wonder if they are related?!!

Hi Jamie, hopefully it will be a decent representation of Toton, albeit a smaller version. Well, that's the plan!

A long way to go yet but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Snap Ian!

I wonder if they are related?!!

Not bad £26 a pair.

All good for the new garage project - thing is Alex you need at least 4 more with a SWL of 3 Tonnes for all that ballast :D

Ian

Not bad £26 a pair.

All good for the new garage project - thing is Alex you need at least 4 more with a SWL of 3 Tonnes for all that ballast :D

Ian

Not bad at all, they do make good trestles.

Can you tell us more about your new garage project?

Don't mention ballasting......

Hi ya

This will look good to photograph when its full of locos with the roof on it. Have you made the platforms to cab door height yourself or is it a WILLS kit of some kind...?

Great work.

Regards

Jamie

Hi ya

This will look good to photograph when its full of locos with the roof on it. Have you made the platforms to cab door height yourself or is it a WILLS kit of some kind...?

Great work.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I am looking forward to seeing the inside of the shed once the depot floor has been weathered, that will make a big difference. As you say, once the roof is on it should really come together then.

The inspection platforms were scratch built to sit at cab door height. Let me know if you need further information.

Last night I got out one of my Blue Romanian 56s, Boxenby just wouldn’t be complete without a Grid!

41337126714_02abf26436_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

42057324491_eabb4a3258_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

41337130554_7953360974_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I am looking forward to being able to line up some traction in the depot.
41337136304_cf8fbc9d33_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

28184382638_fdaafa381b_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

Some movement, might have to get a sound chip for this Grid.
41157136895_d90ea695a8_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 4

The inspection platforms were scratch built to sit at cab door height. Let me know if you need further information.

Thanks for the information... class 31 looks great as does the class 56 a real work horse on coal from my childhood memories, the 31 in Rail Freight livery is one of my most loved along with BR Large Logo...

Regards to the platforms, what materials did you use and also use to make the risers to the door height, are some part of the up right RSJ's to hold the roof up so to speak, look great.

Regards

Jamie

A Romanian Grid on depot for repairs? again?

Poor quality control I’m sure.

Ian

But oozing with character! The more Romanian Grids the better that's what I say!

https://flic.kr/p/df3Kdh

Looking great, I agree. Definitely can't beat a grid just had mine at the head of an mgr train. If your looking at sound I can definitely recommend legomanbiffo,

David

Grid on MGRs, now you are talking David!

I think that I might have to get a Legomanbiffo chip for one of my Grids.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information... class 31 looks great as does the class 56 a real work horse on coal from my childhood memories, the 31 in Rail Freight livery is one of my most loved along with BR Large Logo...

Regards to the platforms, what materials did you use and also use to make the risers to the door height, are some part of the up right RSJ's to hold the roof up so to speak, look great.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You are welcome. I do agree, Original Railfreight was a nice livery and suited most classes; 20, 31, 37, 47, 56 and 58.

Thanks I am really pleased with how they turned out. The platform tops are laser cut mdf, these were cut to size and shape with holes also cut out to allow the H and I section girders which replicate the steel framework for the shed to fit through. The base is plastic and the smaller H section girders are plastic.

I am sure that I have some photos somewhere of the pieces, almost in kit form, before assembly. I will see if I can dig them out, might help give you a better idea of how they were made.

Further the 56 sound I’ve just put up a video 56127 with legomanbiffo sound up on my layout thread If you’re interested,all the best

David

Hi David, superb! I will definitely be getting a Legomanbiffo chip for one of my Grids......love it!

Takes me back to my teens!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After being surrounded by excellent layouts over the weekend, I left DEMU Showcase suitably motivated.

Just before the show closed I managed to visit C&L and get a few bits.

post-7236-0-63521600-1528265921_thumb.jpg

This will be quite a milestone to get started on laying some track, something I have been waiting a long time for.

Now to get the track plan into Templot and printed out to put down on the boards to allow work to begin on the first points.

• Like 2