Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

All these Peaks... when I'd just started at Norwood depot in South London as a secondman, we had a strange visitor dumped in our rather scruffy loco sidings after failing on a railtour or footex:

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45115norwood85.jpg

from this page:

http://www.derbysulzers.com/peakseverywhere.html

I remember being nosey and climbing up for a better look as we didn't have any locos with "bonnets" and these things were certainly unusual around Croydon! Not my picture but I do wish I'd taken some at the time.

Edited by Pete 75C

I suppose I had better get back to some modelling!

The concrete walk ways are now ready for primer. A few photos showing them in position:

22692218192_527794cc26_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22084630313_9b3c262288_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

After seeing the prototype photos posted recently of Coal 56s and 60s, I thought it would be nice to put out a couple of what will be the normal traction for Boxenby. I am awaiting rail from C&L so the locos have just been plonked on the board:

22084658323_3a8e22b6d6_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22692260942_445311717b_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22517902030_43f1a57875_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22679826166_ea1be1fbf5_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

This should give an idea of how it will look with the concrete sleeper track in between the walk ways:

22679843366_766b4aab64_z.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

Now hopefully if the weather dries up a bit, I might actually be able to get the depot floor pieces sprayed.

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 3

Be careful now youre starting to lay track as that will slow your progress down no end. The urges to start playing trains will be too great.

Haha!!

Seriously though it's looking great. Can't wait to see the shed building with a line up of loco's out side. That should be pretty impressive.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Alex,

Loving the Peak pics, the first on in the snow is superb.

Your Peak looks right at home and will look even better with a bit of weathering. The layout is looking good too, nice work on the walkways I am sure it wont be long before it all painted up.

Cheers Peter. 

Be careful now youre starting to lay track as that will slow your progress down no end. The urges to start playing trains will be too great.

Haha!!

Seriously though it's looking great. Can't wait to see the shed building with a line up of loco's out side. That should be pretty impressive.

Cheers

Marcus

I know what you mean Marcus, that is why I have tried to make decent progress before getting any power to the tracks. As you know it has been five years before a loco actually moved, good job really, as you say otherwise I would have been playing trains instead of modelling!

Thanks, to be perfectly honest, that is exactly what I am looking forward to! Recreating a typical Sunday scene with lots of Type 2s and 5s stabled. Perhaps I should have just made a diorama with a hollow shed.......much easier and less time consuming!

Hi Alex,

Loving the Peak pics, the first on in the snow is superb.

Your Peak looks right at home and will look even better with a bit of weathering. The layout is looking good too, nice work on the walkways I am sure it wont be long before it all painted up.

Cheers Peter.

When I saw the photos Peter, I thought that you might quite like them!

Thanks, I agree, it needs to be converted to a 45/1 and then weathered up. Cannot wait!

I am really pleased with the ramps and floor. Just need some dry weather to allow me to start painting it all!

This evening with the help of Grimley senior the four through roads, roads 1 to 4 have been put in what will be their final resting place. The wiring was changed slightly to accommodate the final depot floor pieces. Hopefully over the weekend the dead end roads can have similar treatment and then the track for the front of the shed can be prepared.

Very pleased with progress now.

When I saw the photos Peter, I thought that you might quite like them!

Thanks, I agree, it needs to be converted to a 45/1 and then weathered up. Cannot wait!

I am really pleased with the ramps and floor. Just need some dry weather to allow me to start painting it all!

Just remember you will need to do a few mods to the body for a 45/1. I bet you can't waits it must have been a few years since you have done any work on your loco fleet.

Cheers Peter.

Just remember you will need to do a few mods to the body for a 45/1. I bet you can't waits it must have been a few years since you have done any work on your loco fleet.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I remember a few years ago you kindly pointed out the different modifications that were required. I cannot wait to get a few locos weathered and ready to blend in. It has been a long time!

But I do feel that with the floor nearly done, progress should be made pretty quickly after that. Fingers crossed!

Sorry can't find date, got lots of photos but can't find my notes, but your timescale is about right.

No problem GRUNFOS. If you do have any other photos that might be of interest and you are able to post them that would be great. I always enjoy looking at photos of Toton!!!

Over the weekend the dead end roads had the power wires adjusted to allow the inspection pits to sit in what will hopefully be their final place. The depot floor pieces were laid out properly and I just need to sort out the pieces where the rails go from the inspection pits to the concrete sleeper track.

Hopefully this can be done during the week, if not at the weekend.

Here is how it is looking, I laid out some concrete sleepers to see how it will look:

22272514664_6b991bfaa0.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22881775802_79bf634eee.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22476884098_985da91a31.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 4

Yesterday evening saw something significant happen on my layout and whilst it could be argued that it was not that big an event, to me it was very important nonetheless. The main shed building was put back on the board. Not only was this the first time in many months that the shed had sat on the main board, but it was also the first time that the depot building had been married up with the floor pieces.

A couple of days ago I was thinking about the depot floor pieces and it suddenly dawned on me that despite many weeks spent working on this part of the project, the shed had not been put on the layout board since the floor pieces had arrived. I then started to worry and ask the question: What if I had got the design and measurements wrong? This in turn would seriously impact progress. I certainly didn’t want to get the floor painted and weathered, put in position with the shed sat on top, only to find that it was not right. All kinds of thoughts started running through my mind and a bit of doubt and concern crept in.
There was only one thing to do, put the shed back on the board and see what happens with fingers firmly crossed! I have to confess to being a little apprehensive before the shed was moved!

So the roof pieces were removed and the shed was then ready for movement.
With a little help, the depot shed was put on the main board. To my relief it sat down nicely and there were no issues with the floor pieces. I am very pleased, it certainly gives you an idea of how it should look when eventually finished. The floor looks great and it isn’t even painted yet.
Seeing the concrete floor not only inside the shed but around the main shed really does finish it all off. I am now really starting to feel this project coming alive!

Now to get on with the track for the front of the shed.

I must try and resist the temptation to run a couple of locos in and out of the shed, I would like to just see how it looks. Now what I mean is, purely for testing purposes only of course….perhaps I should….just to be sure that everything is working properly…..

• Like 5

Photos, Alex, photos please! You can't describe how good it looks and then not show a piccie or two!  :jester:

Great to hear your Eureka moment, Alex. To be honest, you do everything so precisely, I'm not at all surprised it fitted well. I, on the other hand, generally have to file the bottom of my sheds to fit the contours of my concrete depot floor.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the floor painted. I'm sure, like me, you'll find motivation so much easier as it all comes together.

Cheers

Dave

PS Love the photos of those Peaks. It's a shame they weren't regular visitors to Haymarket in the 80s, although they weren't exactly unusual.

Edited by Waverley West

Photos, Alex, photos please! You can't describe how good it looks and then not show a piccie or two!  :jester:

Great to hear your Eureka moment, Alex. To be honest, you do everything so precisely, I'm not at all surprised it fitted well. I, on the other hand, generally have to file the bottom of my sheds to fit the contours of my concrete depot floor.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the floor painted. I'm sure, like me, you'll find motivation so easier as it all comes together.

Cheers

Dave

PS Love the photos of those Peaks. It's a shame they weren't regular visitors to Haymarket in the 80s, although they weren't exactly unusual.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-15546100-1447415881_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes some shots this weekend please Alex.

Nearly coming up to Boxenby anniversary next month.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:38

Whilst doing some planning for Grimley depot I was thinking about putting a lightweight overhead crane (as per the ones normally found in many of the small maintenance depots around the country) in the other shed. Then I got thinking that this would stop me having the new Bachmann lifting jacks, unless I just had one road with the overhead crane. This then got me thinking of perhaps having a larger depot shed and my thoughts turned to Toton?

Ian

Looking forward to seeing the floor painted. I'm sure, like me, you'll find motivation so much easier as it all comes together.

Cheers

Dave

Apologies Dave, it has been a bit of a manic week and unfortunately I didn't have much time to take photos. However, I will make sure that I take some over the weekend. Hope you aren't too disappointed!

Not always Dave, there have been several occasions where I had finished or so I thought, a particular part of the project, only to realise that I had forgotten something or some adjustments/redesigning were required. So it doesn't always work out as you would expect. Only the other day when putting the shed in position, I realised that I had forgotten to cut a piece of mdf for the rear corner......

From the photos that I have seen, your depot has turned out pretty well. (Understatement of the year!). At the end of the day that is the joy of scratch building, it isn't the easiest option and if you want to model something different it is the only way. Did I say joy? What am I on about......

Now that I am preparing the track for the front of the depot, I can really see progress which in turn is providing huge amounts of motivation to get this finished. The thought of being not too far away from having the main board finished does get me slightly excited!

Edited by Grimleygrid