Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Me too!

A fiver says I won't! :scratchhead:  :mosking:   It has taken my five years to get here so I very much doubt that......still the number of loco numbers on the sheet means a very large fleet, eventually and subject to winning the lottery!

Now, please stop procrastinating and get on with those depot buildings!   :taunt:

Last night, with the help of Will and a glue gun, I managed to get a bit of modelling done. The LEDs for the working inspection pit lights have now been fitted permanently. Now to get the inspection pits wired up.

I mentioned before that I had finished sorting out loco numbers in order to have some transfers produced, here are the first batch:

19114426986_06a0046d74_z.jpgBoxenby-loco-numbers-21Jun1 by AP474, on Flickr

You can get an idea of some of the traction that will be seen at Boxenby.

Great idea to do spares Alex, Nothing worse than messing up and not having another one to go at! I find the rub ons easier to mess up for some reason, they are very easy to get wonky and unlike waterslide you cant poke em around with a cocktail stick. They simply have to come off and be redone! Mind you I am doing 2mm scale numbers!

Edited by RBE

Hi Cav, no matter how hard you try, it isn't always possible to get them right first time so good to have a few spares just in case!

You are right about not being able to move them around like the water slide which is a downside to the dry rub down ones!

They are due to arrive today so I am looking forward to seeing them later.

The transfer duly arrived the other day and I am very pleased with how they have turned out:

Tinsley Peaks, nice! Oh and a few class 20s.....

19277456359_90f6a5e3f6_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Original Railfreight 58s and a few Grids.....

19276034760_b07593185d_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Yesterday evening I managed to find a few minutes for a bit of modelling. I needed to get the plastic sheet glued down for the lower floor area. This is what the inspection pits and the inspection platforms will sit on when finally installed.

18842964723_5332fd3b08.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Hopefully a few more of the inspection pits can be wired up now that the lower floor area is ready for them.

• Like 8

The transfers look good Alex,

I just noticed two of your class 20s 121 and 169 are a pair I modelled a while back using old Lima models. I remember seeing them at Barnetby in the 90s when they were beginning to lose all their work to class 60s. 20117 and 20169 roll through Barnetby on the same trip, I may have posted this one before.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-50892400-1436261335.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter, I am really pleased with the transfers, they have come out really well.

Choppers at Barnetby, lovely! I do like them with ploughs.

As you can see I plan to model 117, 121 and 169.

7984749568_51992c2397.jpgClass 20 by Valiantoz, on Flickr

10587401816_0ce44939ba.jpgClass 20 by Valiantoz, on Flickr

8229896107_355c266859.jpgClass 20 by Valiantoz, on Flickr

And this one as well:

8374875536_9441157dba.jpgClass 20 by Valiantoz, on Flickr

If I can get my 20s to look half as good as your Lima ones then I will be a very happy bunny!

• Like 6

With the help of Tim, the design for the depot floor pieces have been changed slightly, although still going to use mdf. As usual Tim has done a superb job and here is a photo showing two of the new pieces placed in position to see how it would look:

19365090709_f3880dff58.jpgphoto(3) by AP474, on Flickr

Very pleased with how it looks. Now to find the time to get the pits wired up and down permanently!

• Like 8

I'm afraid to say that it is, just visiting for a very short period of time though. I very much doubt you will see one of those at Boxenby once the layout is finished!

Thanks, slow progress at the moment as it has been a busy time with work and family commitments.

Whilst it is nice to see class 20s operational and on the mainline, to me it is not the same as during the BR days......

Looking good Alex,

This is quite a major step really, once the pits and floor are glued down the next stage is painting and adding detail.

That's some great pics above of the class 20s. I would love to know what the fitters are doing to 20214, look at the tools and wood etc laying about the depot floor.

Cheers Peter.

Looking good Alex,

This is quite a major step really, once the pits and floor are glued down the next stage is painting and adding detail.

That's some great pics above of the class 20s. I would love to know what the fitters are doing to 20214, look at the tools and wood etc laying about the depot floor.

Cheers Peter.

Yes - thought that myself - that's a diorama on its own.

Ian

Good to see the flooring laid Alex.

Have you tried oil staining experiments - or any ideas?

Spray a test sheet of Plasticard in Railmatch Grey let it dry thoroughly and harden.

Wash thinner lightly on the sheet then add droplets of Railmatch Black on the wet thinner see what happens - you will be surprised

Worth a try.

Looking good.

Ian

Thanks Peter. I keep thinking that once the pits, platforms and depot floor are safely down, I will almost be there. However, when you actually sit down and think about it, there are still loads of jobs to do after that! But it will be a huge step forward once the floor is down.

Yes indeed, perhaps the old girl wasn’t getting much in the way of TLC!

Looking forward to seeing some battered class 20 action at Boxenby!

You are right Ian, that would make a great diorama! Froddingham shed would make a nice depot to model, but then so would quite a few of BR’s depots!

Not as yet I haven’t but plan to experiment over the coming weeks ahead of working on the proper floor pieces. Thanks for your suggestion I will certainly give that a try.

Thanks David.

Yesterday evening I decided to get a couple of 58s out and see how they looked with the new floor pieces in position. As mentioned before, I really liked the 58s and so they will play a big part in the Boxenby fleet.

19425931500_9e0c631ee3.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

19425877878_f1f369f990.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

19427314939_b407766913.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

19613914915_3ec0c49657.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

18991345384_6130610288.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 8

Another parcel has arrived from Mr Tim Horn which included the final floor pieces. These particular pieces have holes cut out to accommodate the H and I section girders.

Here are a couple of photos showing a dry fit:

19581052748_c33f42e970.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

19148179883_5e93b644bd.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I then put some H section girders in to see how it looked

19581036300_ce7f61dfb0.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Here you can see how it will look once the floor and inspection platforms are in position

19581035160_2823aa6492.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Over the weekend I plan to have a dry fit of all the floor pieces.

• Like 9

Well Alex, you can probably tell from you're notifications box that I've spent far too much time today sat in goods loops.

I've started reading your thread from the very beginning and the only word I can find to describe this is. AMAZING!!

As some of the early comments said you must have been mad to contemplate this but you've pulled it off brilliantly.

I've been lucky enough to go into Toton shed on a number of occasions and you've got it absolutely spot on.

Even down to the shift supervisors office in the rear corner. Been in there a couple of times to sign in and the view out of the window is pretty spectacular when the sheds full.

Will definitely be following along now and steadily work my way through the last 60 pages. Pushing the "like" button doesn't really do it justice.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

All looking rather good Mr Grimly,

I like the picture of the two 58's, staple diet for Broxenby I take it? As well as 20's, 60's, 56's and pretty much everything else after seeing those transfer sheets.

You'll soon pass a milestone when the floors are down, I look forward to it.

Jinty ;)

With the help of Tim, the design for the depot floor pieces have been changed slightly, although still going to use mdf. As usual Tim has done a superb job and here is a photo showing two of the new pieces placed in position to see how it would look:

19365090709_f3880dff58.jpgphoto(3) by AP474, on Flickr

Very pleased with how it looks. Now to find the time to get the pits wired up and down permanently!

Does look so good in that livery -  Pugsley has (had) the battered "celebrity?" version 47706 paint flakes rust and all - I was reviewing his Chittle thread last night how good did that look.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail