Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Class60lover, I think it all depends on how we remember them. We mainly saw them at Peterborough on the Ratcliffe to Fletton fly ash trains in the mid to late 80s when the majority of the 58s were in Original Railfreight. This is probably why I like them best in that livery, and I think it really suited them. Perhaps it is also the livery that they were released from Doncaster in. They did look good in that livery!
I only remember the 45s in their last few years in traffic, nice locos. Long body and bogies, nice sounding engine, I too am a big fan of them!

Thanks class66.

Last week I treated myself to another DVD, The Diesel & Electric Diaries Vol 7, which contains some excellent footage from York between 1986 and 1990. Lots of Peak action on the Trans-Pennine services and also some nice Brush 4s. But this was not the reason why I purchased said DVD, it was because of the video taken around Toton in 1991 and 1992. Some nice shots taken in and around the depot including a clip of 31423 arriving with some TTAs for the fuelling point. I have been thinking of modelling this 31 before and now after seeing the clip it will definitely be making an appearance at Boxenby, may be to deliver the fuel oil!

Yesterday evening I heard from Cav to say that the Industrial High Bay lights had arrived from the printers. He then kindly sent me a couple of photos and I am very excited to see them in the flesh as they look superb. Just what I had hoped to achieve before even considering 3D Printing. Thanks Cav!

Grimley Senior is preparing the next board for the dimmer for the two dead end road pits. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks the LEDs can be installed for these two inspection pits.

In between taxi duties yesterday evening, I managed to find a few minutes to start measuring up for the next pieces of the depot floor. This meant getting out the wheel lathe pit,  I cannot believe that it is over three years since I was working on the wheel lathe. How time flies. I really do need to get cracking on this project!

A few photos for Mr Crisis Rail:

15701865734_80abb649b2.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16138087839_f4ce72cb0b.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16323424702_41c92ed12f.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16323424412_e556d6f6fb.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

This evening I hope to get the measuring finished and then get the artwork started in preparation for getting the pieces laser cut.

Once the floor is down properly, I can then get the wheel lathe weathered and installed with the relevant detailing bits and bobs.

Just catching up Alex - the Lathe is quality as ever - even the correct Machine Green colour I was so familiar with.

Thanks for that  - all good.

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, I am glad that you like it. Once the floor pieces that will sit around the lathe pit arrive, I will start weathering the pit, wheel lathe and relevant equipment etc. ready for final installation. Not sure if the wheel lathe green needs to be a bit lighter?!

In reality it is much darker than it appears in the photos.

• Like 1

Grimley Senior has finished the dimmer for the inspection pit lights that will be installed in the two dead end roads. This has now been successfully tested on the warm glow LEDs.

Hopefully I can get the LEDs sat in their relevant holder and a dry fitted under the board to see how they look.

The PCB:

16403743611_f2f806e83a.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

The dimmer will control the pit lights in Road 5, which the 58 is currently occupying:

16217864398_c5b5609128.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

And Road 14 which also has reinforced concrete to allow for the lifting jacks:

15783022094_63ab62bbf2.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 3

Hi Peter, thanks I am really pleased with the floor and it isn't even finished yet! I agree the Peak does look at home, it reminds me of this photo on Flickr:

https://flic.kr/p/bncvPb

Your visit must have been just before the Peaks got transferred to Tinsley. Were they swapped with Tinsley's 56s? Sorry cannot remember!

Hi Alex,

I had a quick look at my slides, my last visit was about 4th or 5th month in 1986. I think the Peaks were at Tinsley late 86 early 87. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Ian, I am glad that you like it. Once the floor pieces that will sit around the lathe pit arrive, I will start weathering the pit, wheel lathe and relevant equipment etc. ready for final installation. Not sure if the wheel lathe green needs to be a bit lighter?!

In reality it is much darker than it appears in the photos.

Maybe a dry brush over in white to lighten it up? - looks fine TBH - there is a colour "Machine Green"

Unsure what type of Machinery this is.

post-7252-0-21212800-1422696305.jpg

Ian

Hi Anthony, thanks for your kind comments. I do like late 80s/early 90s BR traction. Especially if it is Type 5!

Hi Peter, according to http://www.derbysulzers.com/peakend.html, all the Peaks were transferred to Tinsley in November 1986.

Hi Ian, That is exactly the sort of green that I had in mind for my wheel lathe. The colour that I have used is definitely too dark, I might try adding a few drops of Matt White to get it closer to your photo. Then I can make a start on weathering them up.

https://flic.kr/p/gnx978

https://flic.kr/p/gnxPJx

https://flic.kr/p/kcca4L

• Like 1

Not too much to report at the moment.

I thought that I would produce a drawing to show how the LEDs will be installed.

16248554579_b2f2e9a888.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

The below drawing shows the following; The inspection pit sat on the 6mm ply wood, mdf to represent the concrete depot floor, the wooden battens that run either side of the inspection pits to help support the weight of locos sat on the pits and the LEDs in their holder which is held in place by metal brackets.

16240619518_1e11e781a2.jpgphoto(2) by AP474, on Flickr

I have just received the below photo from Grimley Senior showing the first four brackets which will be used to hold the LED holder in position underneath Road 3.

16433046801_b2ddb77ace.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

You can also see in the photo 5 LEDS. Unfortunately the Christmas lights set that we have used for Roads 3 and 5, did not have enough to cater for all three inspection pits. So to cover the shortfall five LEDs have been sourced from another set of lights, and whilst a slightly different style, they are still warm glow LEDs.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up - superb work on the floor. If my depot has a floor half as good as that, I'll be happy.

I may need to contact Cav - A few high-bay lights could be useful for my project!

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, I am very pleased with the floor so far and it isn't even painted yet!

I can highly recommend the high bay lights Mick, they really are the business. Cav has done a superb job, they are exactly what I was after. I can't wait to get them painted!

A few years ago I spent quite a while coming up with ideas for how best to produce them, needing a couple of hundred of them was the main issue. So I needed a way to make large numbers, fairly easily and cheaply. Thanks to 3D Printing here they are and with stunning results. I will definitely be using 3D Printing for more parts on my project in the future.

Glad they fit the bill Alex.

Mick I'll be making them available to buy from my shapeways shop soon if you want some. I'll let you know when they are up. I need to change the file so that they contain less lamps as not everyone will be wanting over 200 of them!

• Like 4