Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Don't forget the old with the new! Not sure if I posted this for you before.

post-4133-0-20643500-1417210893_thumb.jpg

Hi class60lover, I do like 58s, especially in Original Railfreight. I have to confess that, if you hadn't noticed, I quite like type 5 traction, 56s, 58s and 60s! Eventually I will get those two Grids, 56002 and 56024, replaced with the newer version of the class 56.

Thanks. I am pleased with how the platforms have turned out, in fact very happy thanks. Better than I had hoped!

Yes, I am really looking forward to getting the floor down.

Thanks David, will post some photos later of an earlier test.

Before we started looking at the inspection pit lighting, I took some measurements for the concrete pad which will sit to the front of the depot shed.

This will give you an idea of what I am working towards,

15861454115_cc62efb082.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

I am looking forward to being able to have all the doors down and closed with a fine line up of traction outside the shed front.

• Like 3

Hi Class66, oh may be I will only have a couple of 20s with sound!

Which sound chips have you got in yours please?

Thanks David, I do like 20s. Need fading and weathering though!

Thanks for posting Grunfos, lovely photo. I don't recall seeing it before but appreciate you sharing it with us.

Whilst the main depot shed is sat on board 2 this was the best that I could do to recreate your photo I under the circumstances:

15285111064_24e2af1204.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

I look forward to having another go at recreating the scene next year when hopefully more progress will have been made.

• Like 7

Thanks Grunfos, much appreciated.

Hi Ian, I like your comment. Not so much whistling as whining! Especially when finding out about expenditure!

I do enjoy spending time searching Flickr and YouTube, there are some real gems on the internet.

Wow, that really does show how far this project has come. Nearly five years ago……at times it seems like I haven’t made much progress but that does put it all into perspective. Hopefully this time next year it will have moved on a lot more. Fingers crossed!

It is hard to believe that the shed started out as a few sections of plywood!

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon, after watching some youth football and browsing through some excellent photos taken at Toton in the 80s and 90s I decided to head out to the train room. I wanted to try and get several lights working to see how it looked. This was achieved, I managed to get two lights on each wall working and I am quite pleased with the results so far.
Whilst the colour issue is being investigated and researched it is nice to see a few of the pits lit up.

A few photos:

Two lights on each wall lit up:

15916752705_5079597888.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15914800151_190798c7a0.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

A few photos of a Peak on the pit:

15294517254_7466103fb9.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15890966986_dbb1fa5b7c.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15729297838_fb70f02e6d.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15730745209_b814756518.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15914799911_ac306a7f25.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15294516904_dbbe469f5a.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15730744909_87c48d4833.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Hopefully later this week we can experiment with different colour LEDs and try and get more lights lit.

• Like 6

Thanks David, I would like to be making more progress to be honest. The lights are holding things up!

Please accept my sincere apologies Ian, if you would prefer I will not post any additional photos containing said Peak. I guess a photo with two of them might not be a great idea?!!

They fetch ridiculous money these days, surely someone at Bachmann can see that there is demand for these bad boys?!!
I cannot be the only one that sees this?!! With manufacturer’s being very careful that they are producing models that will sell and provide a return, surely producing a sealed beam Peak is long overdue?!!

Bloody Hell Ian, you got a bargain there. One of the bargains of the year! Even Black Friday cannot compare to that!

When are Bachmann going to release one, 2015 has to be the year!

Thanks David, I would like to be making more progress to be honest. The lights are holding things up!

Please accept my sincere apologies Ian, if you would prefer I will not post any additional photos containing said Peak. I guess a photo with two of them might not be a great idea?!! :ireful:

They fetch ridiculous money these days, surely someone at Bachmann can see that there is demand for these bad boys?!!

I cannot be the only one that sees this?!! With manufacturer’s being very careful that they are producing models that will sell and provide a return, surely producing a sealed beam Peak is long overdue?!!

Bloody Hell Ian, you got a bargain there. One of the bargains of the year! Even Black Friday cannot compare to that!

When are Bachmann going to release one, 2015 has to be the year!

Yesterday evening I had a call from a rather excited Grimley Senior. He had something to show me and wanted to come around to explain more about his find. I am glad he did! He duly arrived with some Christmas lights which were made up of warm glow LEDs, perfect for inspection pit lighting!

All change now, we are no longer going to use optical fibre cable but instead these superb Christmas lights! Yesterday saw all the pit lights in road 3 lit up, whilst the LEDs need dimming it was still an impressive sight.

I am very excited now…….

I will post some photos later.

• Like 1

Yesterday evening I had a call from a rather excited Grimley Senior. He had something to show me and wanted to come around to explain more about his find. I am glad he did! He duly arrived with some Christmas lights which were made up of warm glow LEDs, perfect for inspection pit lighting!

All change now, we are no longer going to use optical fibre cable but instead these superb Christmas lights! Yesterday saw all the pit lights in road 3 lit up, whilst the LEDs need dimming it was still an impressive sight.

I am very excited now…….

I will post some photos later.

Were they the ones from Poundland Alex, there really good for £1 :)

Hi Neil, no I don't believe they were. But most of my modelling normally looks like it could be from Poundland!

HAHA thats certainly not true mate, i would have never had the patients to build what you have in such great detail

Here are a few photos of road 3 lit up.
As mentioned earlier the LEDs are very bright and require dimming down, you can see how bright they are here!

15751001037_da8f639dc5.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

You can see here how the light from the LED is so bright that it is penetrating through the plastic of the pit! There is some bleed around the edges of some light frames but this will be dealt with as the LEDs are dimmed down. Some appear brighter than others, this is due to how they have been taped in place. These particular ones are facing straight at the pit wall and so the brightest part of the LED is in contact with the plastic.

15749311828_63173f44db.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Some photos showing the light frames

15317112803_6040369617.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15314497944_562d423919.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Looks like Doncaster works had a bit of a nightmare with numbering the locos off the production line, there appears to be two 58037s!

15749467160_e20f828e25.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15750707939_07bc13b178.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15936097892_d442ecac70.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15934787261_f6c142de07.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Overall I am very pleased with the results. The colour is much better than the blue hue LEDs that we were testing with and it certainly will be a lot easier to install these lights. Now to get them dimmed down and in position.

Progress at last!

• Like 11