Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

This afternoon I have added dummy lights to three more inspection pits.

14295518469_2e583c66cf.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

14295714807_695aa0a6a3.jpg

Here you can see the outer wall of the inspection pit where the depot floor is lower:

14459050396_156fc48e1a.jpg

14478772451_57964dc3b9.jpg

Hopefully during the week I can get dummy lights added to the others.

• Like 4

Hi Alex,

The inspection pits are looking great, like the blue Grid and Tractor too. Is the Grid a new model or one you have had for a while.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Class60lover, shhhhh, not yet they don't!

Thanks, the weathering does make a difference.

Thanks Jinty, I do like BR blue Romanian Grids.

I like the Large Logo 47 in your signature photo, she looks very nice.

Thanks David.

Yes that 47 is my baby at the moment, it started life as a Bachmann 47301 in R/F Red stripe, repainted and Biffo sound onbord.

I must get a couple of Grids but 37's keep coming up!!!!!!!!

Jinty :-)

Edited by Jintyman

Thanks Porkie, glad that you like it.

Thanks Peter, they are getting there. Not overly looking forward to adding working lights though!

Grid 6 is a model that I have had for a while, one from Grimley Works. Have you seen Black and Blue from Locomaster Profiles? It follows 56006 from Immingham to Scunthorpe and return working HAAs. Quality!

Nice work Jinty, I always liked 47s in Large Logo.

You simply must get some Grids, I am looking forward to Hornby’s Large Logo release later this year.

I managed to get lights fitted to another inspection pit this morning.

• Like 1

Those pits are looking very good Alex keep up the good work. Nice to cop my ex tractor on Boxenby too. Its always nice when you still get to see your work out and about rather than hidden away in some dusty old loft that never sees the light of day.

Thanks Cav, looking at the pits last night I am really pleased with them.

I should think it is nice to see your work again, and it is a beast! When I eventually get Boxenby finished you will have to pay a visit to see 707 on shed. I remember seeing 707 or it may have been the 37/5 you also did and was blown away by how good the windows looked. Whilst in the past the front windscreen didn’t bother me, seeing the difference has made me have a rethink!

Nice choice of livery Jinty! Hope you get your hands on one soon.

Yesterday I managed to get another inspection pit fitted with dummy lights, just two more to go now. Then the real fun begins, adding working lights to the other three......

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, they are getting there. Not overly looking forward to adding working lights though!
Grid 6 is a model that I have had for a while, one from Grimley Works. Have you seen Black and Blue from Locomaster Profiles? It follows 56006 from Immingham to Scunthorpe and return working HAAs. Quality!

Hi Alex, I did wonder if it was an older model as it's been a while since you have weathered any stock.

I haven't seen the DVD I will keep a look out for it.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, you are right, it has been a long time since I last weathered anything. There have been several occasions when the paints, brushes, airbrush and powders have almost come out of the box! I wouldn't mind getting back to some stock weathering but really want to get the layout finished first. Well, that is the plan anyway!

As previously mentioned, dummy lights have been added to 12 out of the 15 inspection pits and in doing so I have used 298 of them. I now have three painted lights left. Luckily my calculations were correct and I still have extras although these are unpainted. I have just finished spraying 101 of them with Halfords grey primer.

14548149293_ee9b9d6aea.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting, I can get the lights sprayed with a top coat.

• Like 4

The extra inspection pit light frames have been given a top coat and earlier this evening a couple of washes of weathered black. After a bit of tidying up they will be ready for gluing on.

14544903706_8078c85d84.jpg

Now to get the holes cut out of the three remaining inspection pits ready to fit the working lights. Not overly looking forward to this part!

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, I am just glad that I decided not to have them all working as fitting the dummy ones was bad enough! Although the lights really do make a difference so it is definitely worth the effort.

I packed the locos away that were sat out the front of the shed yesterday, it certainly gives you an idea of how it should look once finished. I am looking forward to seeing lots of weathered locos sat outside Boxenby awaiting their next duty.

Yesterday evening with the help of Grimley Senior the piece of wood used for holding the inspection pits in place whilst the dummy lights were fitted was modified ready for the next stage. In order to cut out the opening for the working lights, the inspection pit needs to be turned through 90 degrees to allow a drill to cut a hole.

First a piece of wooden batten was added in the channel, this then provides a small groove for the inspection pit sides to sit in.

14592051424_870f209945.jpg

14407307030_85a0139533.jpg

Then another piece of wood was screwed on, this will hopefully allow the inspection pit to sit vertically by the rails touching the wood. The inspection pit will be clamped to this piece of wood to hold it firmly in position whilst drilling occurs.

14407345168_63165ca4ee.jpg

14407364799_0294f9b6a9.jpg

14407364679_bf38ce48fd.jpg

As you can see, I have left the guide on the piece of wood to aid us with drilling the holes in the correct position.

Hopefully either today or tomorrow a test can be carried out on a spare piece of inspection pit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress over the past couple of weeks as we have been getting ready to move house which has happened quite quickly. Boxenby has been loaded up and moved to its new home.

14698094632_f7767f45fd.jpg

Thankfully it appears that nothing has got damaged in the move, I am very relieved!

Our new home has a very nice out building which would make a lovely model railway room!.....

• Like 4