Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

On 11/06/2024 at 18:01, The Johnster said:

Siphon, not GUV, with the open door, different roof profile and outside framing on lower body sides.  I think the working is probably an up empty newspaper stock, which would mean it is on the up relief; it looks as if it has picked up dribs and drabs of the down working which were dropped off the previous night.  The curvature of the formation is correct for this, and the photo is taken from 'Duffield's Bridge'.  IIRC the line speed on the relief was 75mph in those days, but even that would be pushing the limit for a 31 hauling a load like that; I count 13 bogies, about 390tons trailing.  This is probably why the train is routed on the reliefs, 90mph stock or not.

Definitely on the up relief heading towards Padd, most likely the afternoon Plymouth - Old Oak empty papers job. Interesting that the 31/4 is an Eastern Region machine and not the more usual Old Oak one, note also the red buffer beam and white handrails. At the time of the photo 31 406 was allocated to March but moved to York the same month. With thirteen on and having probably been stopped at Reading it was probably doing no more than 40mph when photographed.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steven B said:

One for the prototype for everything I think, the first six vehicles all in different liveries...

Blue GUV, RES BG, IC BG, All red BG, RM BG, blue/grey BG, then more RES and RM at the rear.

And the weathering on 47471, been through the carraige washer frequently, but not recently. Clean bits of roof above the cab doors, with missing black around the windows, and a blue patch showing through by the bodyside window, and not forgetting the ghost arrows of indecision from its blue days....

It was still like that, but somewhat cleaner over 18 months later on a TPO in Penzance.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Davexoc said:

... the ghost arrows of indecision from its blue days....

There is absolutely nothing indecisive about the BR logo. In fact the complete opposite.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've probably already posted this one in the Class 47 photo thread but anyway here goes - photo by (I think) Martin Loader : 47 081 'Odin' on southbound vans passes through the middle road at Oxford on 27th August 1983...

47081ODINOxford27thAugust1983.jpg.2447411eb73a354ba38147b102934a66.jpg

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Following the link to the last picture leads to an interesting Flickr album put together by Brian Bennett - 'Brighton Mainline - 1970s'. There are some gems here including this one.

SX73 106

What are the first two vans behind the 73?

Edited by Will Crompton
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Will Crompton said:

Following the link to the last picture leads to an interesting Flickr album put together by Brian Bennett - 'Brighton Mainline - 1970s'. There are some gems here including this one.

SX73 106

What are the first two vans behind the 73?

Hi Will

LMS CCTs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2024 at 21:37, Flood said:

Another photo from Brian Bennett's collection on Flickr.

Looks like one of the old deicing units over on the left, withdrawn about 1978/79ish

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Andyvee said:

There are not too many pictures out there of Collett full brakes in corporate blue, hence a first post from me of a recent slide purchase (it's more use on here than squirreled away in my collection), plus a sort of recreation of the scene as a 1/32 finescale model.  K42 diagram no.W276W is seen at Leeds on 6th January 1968, and is marked as 'gas heated', presumably to allow for use by guards on trains without through steam pipes.  Some, but by no means all were thus marked.  This is the one preserved at the South Devon Railway, it was apparently withdrawn in 1977 but survived as a tool van at OOC until 1990.  The last went early in 1978, but several became departmental or weedkiller vans.  When in regular use they ranged all over the BR system in the blue era, including Scotland.  No. 130 even took up residence at Thurso in departmental use in the 1980s after withdrawal.  Not to be confused with diagram K41 (earlier and subtly different) or the K44 (longer).

img339-DeNoiseAI-standard - Copy.JPG

454996516_1017014499827064_8910890244508887635_n.jpg

That's fabulous information and a beautiful looking set-piece, set slap bang in Transition Era esoterica. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's my next one when/if I get 86500 finished!

Mike.

Soon after that it was altered to E85000, but still hung out at St. P https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpccs/e1d9e6f1e  and others

Later I'm not the only person to have photographed it at Banbury https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpccs/e9c3b99a

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1