Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

"DD is K9P", as they used to say.

Yep, that was in response to Allied's promotion of Double Diamond with badges with slogans on like DD4Me in the 70s. I had one of the anti reactionary badges with DDisK9P.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing that's disappeared in the first photo and won't be missed, Double Diamond.  :no:

But what a wonderful photo, the poster is almost square on and doesn't have anything in its way. Ideal for adding to a period layout.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really am liking the 70s era photos, but it seems like it's becoming a prototype images thread!

True, but hopefully it is the inspiration from prototype photos that enables modellers to create their own realistic train. Formations shown are often a bit rag, tag and bobtail, rather than uniform rakes of CCTs or whatever.

There was the other one going round at a similar time. 'There's more hops in a dead frog than a pint of Watneys Red Barrel '

Wasn't that about Truman's - didn't they advertise 'you can taste the hops in Ben Truman'? Often the 's' on hops was scratched out to infer they only used one hop.

The one about Grotneys was that it 'was like making love in a punt as it was . . . . '

G

Wasn't that about Truman's - didn't they advertise 'you can taste the hops in Ben Truman'? Often the 's' on hops was scratched out to infer they only used one hop.

The one about Grotneys was that it 'was like making love in a punt as it was . . . . '

G

Ah you could be right there grahame. Think I'll go break out a party 7   :jester:

• Like 1

Bob,

Probably the Manchester Area Saloon usually kept in the bays at Victoria or Red Bank - never saw it at Newton Heath

Again as part of an empty parcels train for Red Bank

25042, DB999503 ManVic 010685

attachicon.gifDB999503,25042 MV 010685.jpg

I was based at Vic as a driver and your quite right, although I have took it upto NH for a quick wash and to stock up particularly after Red Bank closed.

The first shot is almost certainly a Newspaper train, being formed almost entirely of Siphon Gs. At the time, most WR 'Papers' were so formed, sometimes with a BSK for the sorters to kip in on the journey to London (the Bristol being formed like this), otherwise with a BG. This one looks to have a Stanier BG towards the rear, so is possibly the West-of-England, which had a specially-branded one.

One thing that's disappeared in the first photo and won't be missed, Double Diamond.  :no:

Indeed - but a fantastic and rarely captured thing in any photographs, from pretty much any era - the counter-intuitively ubiquitous advertising hoarding.  One for the archive, this!!!  :angel:

• Like 1

Indeed - but a fantastic and rarely captured thing in any photographs, from pretty much any era - the counter-intuitively ubiquitous advertising hoarding.  One for the archive, this!!!  :angel:

And if locally  here in York is typical, fast disappearing. I only realised last week that the last of those which used to face traffic going over the Holgate railway bridge in York had gone. Is this true elsewhere - there had been others but they went when the land was redeveloped into non affordable houses.

paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Isn't the first vehicle in the shot at Moses Gate a CCT in Tartan Arrow livery?

Chris

Certainly appears to be. Seen the odd photo of short trains just in Tartan Arrow colours, did they run in "normal" parcels trains too I wonder, or did this only happen after the Tartan Arrow contract ended, prior to repainting in BR colours?

Certainly appears to be. Seen the odd photo of short trains just in Tartan Arrow colours, did they run in "normal" parcels trains too I wonder, or did this only happen after the Tartan Arrow contract ended, prior to repainting in BR colours?

I do wonder if this might be a train taking stock to/from Horwich Works? Can't think I've seen many parcels  trains carrying headcodes indicating an empty stock working.

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if this might be a train taking stock to/from Horwich Works? Can't think I've seen many parcels  trains carrying headcodes indicating an empty stock working.

Hi Brian

The caption says it is newspaper empties so a class 5 headcode would be appropriate in 1973.

That could equally be in the prototype for everything thread; for when the LEDs in your model are too bright and they shine through the black headcode panel.

ps I know that the effect in the pic above is likely exaggerated by a long exposure time.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1