Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pair of ex Izal palvans over the back.

Paul

3 at least Paul, along with the coke hoppers, horse box and a full variety of box vans and minerals, aah, those were the days.

Edit.

Thinking further, wouldn't these still be in Izal service at this date?

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Pair of ex Izal palvans over the back.

Paul

Hi Paul

The LMS van in the train still has its roof vents and no diagonal strapping on the body sides, which most had received by the date of the photo.  I was wondering could it be a passenger rated van, like a meat van? 

Hi Paul

The LMS van in the train still has its roof vents and no diagonal strapping on the body sides, which most had received by the date of the photo.  I was wondering could it be a passenger rated van, like a meat van? 

Were the earlier vans retro-fitted with diagonal strapping, or was it simply that those vehicles with it of a later vintage? Looking at Paul's site, there is an example of a Diagram 1812 or 1830, built in 1931, in internal use at Wakefield in 1981, lacking straps and still fitted with roof vents. Another shot, taken in 1980 at Horwich, has a D1812 wagon without straps. The later, D1891, wagons seem to have been built with diagonal strapping, as well as an angle upright midway along each side panel.

Looking at Paul's site, there is an example of a Diagram 1812 or 1830, built in 1931

Could be. It could also be a diagram 1814 looking at the flatter roof profile along with the Horizontal planking. I guess we'll never know.

That yard looks far too tidy for 1964. I can only see one piece of track side rubbish. The prefabs on Kingsway look tasty and what are were those three pylons in the Galvanising works used for?

P

Could be. It could also be a diagram 1814 looking at the flatter roof profile along with the Horizontal planking. I guess we'll never know.

That yard looks far too tidy for 1964. I can only see one piece of track side rubbish. The prefabs on Kingsway look tasty and what are were those three pylons in the Galvanising works used for?

P

The 'galvanising works' (Painters) used to prefabricated pylons- the structures visible were used as part of the test erection and stress-testing before finished pylons were dismantled for despatch to site. The company apparently did a lot of work for the Air Ministry prior to WW2, manufacturing things like prefabricated hangers. Their address is still given as Hereford, though the test rigs have gone, presumably replaced by computer modelling and Finite Element Analysis. The nearby Hereford United football ground was one of the very first to be furnished with floodlighting towers.

• RMweb Gold

The nearby Hereford United football ground was one of the very first to be furnished with floodlighting towers.

Bramall Lane was the first floodlit stadium, powered by batteries and generators, but I don't know if there were towers. More research needed.

Mike.

This is exactly what happened on the 02.15 Manchester/Leeds newspapers. The train would be routed into the normally westbound platform and whilst the driver nipped to make brew the rear 2 vehicles were detached and later shunted by an outstationed Healey Mills jocko. I'm not aware of how the empty vans returned. At Dewsbury the same train propelled back off the viaduct through a groundframe worked crossing to use the west bound platform for unloading. Using the westbound platforms was done for the ease of access, direct to waiting WH Smith vans I worked this train just before the demise of the traffic. Usual power by this time was a class 31 with eth and 6 vans about 4 of which were GUVs with tables and lighting. The train carried newspaper staff doing bundling, loco returned light to Victoria. Another regular parcels/postal working we worked was a York/Cardiff, from my time(late '86) the routing changed slightly, intially the train detached a van at Staylebridge and then continued to Crewe via Denton and Stockport. The Victoria bank engine was diagrammed to bring the single van down to Vic, this changded and a Victoria driver travelled out pass to York to work it as far as Stockport. This changed to going via Guide Bridge direct to Piccadilly, where an electric was backed up. For modellers train usully loaded 9 including a TPO(2?) eth 47 for power except on one occasssion where it rolled into York with a coal sector 37. Train came from Heaton.

During the 1960s in Scotland, BR created the Glasgow Parcels Depot in Salkeld Street, according to the carriage working books of the day, any train heading towards Glasgow Buchanan Street or Queen Street that had any parcels vans in the consist had them removed at Stirling or Perth, these were then combined to form a parcels train that would run via Coatbridge and Rutherglen to Shields Junction for reversal into the depot, The 1964 Carriage working book is fascinating and there are BGs being transferred from one service to another at almost every major station.  The last real marshalling of any mail working was the West Coast Postal at Carstairs, where four vans were added from Aberdeen and a single BG added from Edinburgh, often hauled by a class 87, how is this for an over powered parcels service!!

post-188-0-91308600-1494940858.jpg

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

An  interesting comment in the caption about the Tartan Arrow service.

https://flic.kr/p/URsrHB

P

Hi Porcy

Lockstock Hall is a bit off route for the Arrow. I am not sure when the train finished, or if the van portion finished before the container train, was the van still in Tartan Arrow service?

Lockstock Hall is a bit off route for the Arrow. I am not sure when the train finished, or if the van portion finished before the container train, was the van still in Tartan Arrow service?

That's why I found the comment interesting.   :wink_mini:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...