Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Premium

Struggled to orientate that Gloucester shot initially but can now see its Eastgate looking north

I think the birdcage van is an illusion - another vehicle behind the train perhaps?

Phil

Possibly taken from the roof of the swimming baths?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

An interesting thread. Lots of great photos.

On about page 15 there was a photo posted of Coventry, about the 60science guess? Oh how different it is now, and how very different the area around it is even compared to a few years ago, totally different skyline now!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here are a few trains of NPCCS:

29395433476_0084540cf7_z.jpg70039_Preston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

4489331103_7672bfbcb7_z.jpg42072_LeedsCity_parcels_20-7-63 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2872323099_95aff02779_z.jpg?zz=1D823_Woodborough_31-12-64 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

5129369276_bfa80b9867_z.jpg40075_York_Parcels_9-8-79 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

10563465984_b7f7751125_z.jpg4935_LeamingtonSpa_1950 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Now those were the days.  The York photo is taken from 'Dickie Bridge', which spans the main lines and down reception sidings south of Holgate junction.  About 10 mins walk from school, I spent many lunchtimes sitting on the steps with classmates, often next to two or three class 37s and 40s on the head of freight trains awaiting authority to proceed into the yards.   The bridge was renewed prior to electrification, i remember that the old one was covered in rude jokes and stories !!  The up Flying Scotsman came through just after 1pm, Deltic hauled, which we would risk waiting for hoping to make it back in time for the next lesson. 

Edited by coronach
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Triang did a southern one with opening doors, dont know what it is or how highly it is thought of.

great thread so far chaps, must admit Im not well up on all the acronyms and Im sure others might be too.

dont think a TPO has been mentioned yet?

7081432793_62b44c56e1_c.jpg

73128 Manchester Exchange Stn. 28.4.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

someone did mention DMU car on the rear of a train, take a look here.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8076533487/

I have one of the old TriAng SR vans in my 'pending' box.  The body is reasonably correct, but the opening doors are very thick and the underframe and bogies are off the 10" long 'mk 1' stock of the day, complete with BR 1 bogies with too short a wheelbase and tractor tyres.  It needs a new u/frame (I believe Roxey do the necessary), and LSWR bogies; apparently the originals were converted from LSWR suburban coaches.  An odd little quirk is that the planking is represented by raised lines between the planks, so these will have to be filed down and scored with a sharp blade.  But it'll look good posed in a bay platform with the doors open...

I am not sure what they would be classified as. It is not a BG because it has no guard's compartment, and not a GUV because it has corridor connections.  I believe the Southern called them luggage vans and used them in connections with boat trains, Southampton liners as well as the ferries.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have one of the old TriAng SR vans in my 'pending' box.  The body is reasonably correct, but the opening doors are very thick and the underframe and bogies are off the 10" long 'mk 1' stock of the day, complete with BR 1 bogies with too short a wheelbase and tractor tyres.  It needs a new u/frame (I believe Roxey do the necessary), and LSWR bogies; apparently the originals were converted from LSWR suburban coaches.  An odd little quirk is that the planking is represented by raised lines between the planks, so these will have to be filed down and scored with a sharp blade.  But it'll look good posed in a bay platform with the doors open...

I am not sure what they would be classified as. It is not a BG because it has no guard's compartment, and not a GUV because it has corridor connections.  I believe the Southern called them luggage vans and used them in connections with boat trains, Southampton liners as well as the ferries.  

Roxey do a kit with the full bag oif mashings in it, bogies, etches and all.

Mike.

• Like 1

They were classed as Parcels and Miscellaneous Vans. Built on redundant passenger coach underframes in the 1920s, they had largely gone from revenue service by the dawn of the 1960s. Certainly, none would have been painted blue, though given the normal state of SR NPCCS, it would have been difficult to tell.

Don't know if this has been up before but would you get away with it at an exhibition?

30712457724_7491a7a059_z.jpg

W50862_W50872_W-Ealing_4-1-75 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Class 116 power twin with a through-wired GUV between and a tail load of what looks like two 12T vans and a PMV.

I think this may have been the set labelled 'Rail-Air Express Parcels'- there seems to be some lettering on the sides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this may have been the set labelled 'Rail-Air Express Parcels'- there seems to be some lettering on the sides.

The original Rail-Air set, used between Bristol and Hayes IIRC, had two GUVs and was withdrawn around 1972. The GUVs lasted a little longer in general DPU use around London 

The original Rail-Air set, used between Bristol and Hayes IIRC, had two GUVs and was withdrawn around 1972. The GUVs lasted a little longer in general DPU use around London 

Et Voila!

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/parcels

Quite a bit earlier than a lot of the trains depicted on this thread but this is running on my layout at the moment heading to Brighton, It's supposed to be parcels & dairy (also a beer wagon there too.) Most of the wagons belong to Brighton companies so I guess most of them are probably empties making the return journey from Eastbourne/Hastings way. :P

post-29051-0-01895300-1481630172_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-09121400-1481630174_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The power cars branded for RailAir were 51137 and 51150.  Several other 116 power cars were stripped of their seats and put to parcels work, either in pairs or as one plus a 128.

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

Only two vehicles and yet one is of SR origin. is it obligatory? - darned Southerners, get everywhere they do :jester:

But note that the caption makes much of the infrastructure, tells us the loco class, not a mention of the vans and their origins.

But note that the caption makes much of the infrastructure, tells us the loco class, not a mention of the vans and their origins.

This is distressingly common of captions.  While I admire the diligence of those caption writers who give a life of each loco worthy of a published obituary, I for one am heartily sick of the practice because it is so unbalanced.  Against this, at a time when we are spoon-fed with so much, we still have the opportunity to view the photograph and discover for ourselves what else it shows.

Chris

• Like 1