Lyon and the South of France, 2004.

Afternoon All,

I had a short holiday in the South of France in October, 2004. We travelled by train (of course) and a small selection of pictures is now on Flickr. If anyone is interested to have a look, this is the first one and, as usual, clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8320916751_5ffb6c3294_m.jpg
R14553.  A pair of BB67400s arrive at Aix-en-Provence with a train for Marseille. 11th October,2004. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Aix is just down the road from us and that train above would have come from Briançon in the Alps, via our town Manosque. It's a very scenic line, but sadly not loco hauled anymore.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I got a Loco hauled (pushed) train today.

From Lyon Part Dieu to villefranches sur saone. (The train continued on.)

I quite enjoyed it.

The loco was 522209, which means nothing to me. It was in all grey livery but I have no idea if that is normal, except for the lack of graffiti that is!

Kev.

post-12815-0-63915400-1364247740_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I got a Loco hauled (pushed) train today.

From Lyon Part Dieu to villefranches sur saone. (The train continued on.)

I quite enjoyed it.

The loco was 522209, which means nothing to me. It was in all grey livery but I have no idea if that is normal, except for the lack of graffiti that is!

Kev.

attachicon.gifIMG-20130325-01407.jpg

I think that the base livery for SNCFs non TGV intercity service (Voyages ?) is silver with vynals on top. I guess this loco was probably needed back in traffic before the vynals could be applied.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Kev,

These locos are probably the most numerous in France, belonging to the BB 7200 class and it's variants. The livery in your photo is just one of several new gimmicky type schemes SNCF like trying out, usually linked to a particular division of freight or passengers service. They belong to a generic group of locos known as "nez cassés" or "broken nose", because of the odd shaped front ends. They're quite powerful and fast. Loco push pull services are very common in France on electrified routes. Lyon Part Dieu is a very busy and important station with several very complex junctions either side, plus large marshalling yards. Many TGV services stop there and a constant succession of freights pass through daily... so worth spending some time there if you can.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

I was in Lyon Part Dieu station for about 20 minutes, and yes, it is very busy.

I saw 5 TGVs, (various). 2 of which were already there, plus another 3 which came and went.

Several 3 and 4 car units but no freight in that short time.

The “broken nose” BB 7200, class of locos, are what I would call “typically French”!

Although, I could never quite get my mind around the aero-dynamics(!), I quite like them.

Kev.

I think that the base livery for SNCFs non TGV intercity service (Voyages ?) is silver with vynals on top. I guess this loco was probably needed back in traffic before the vynals could be applied.

SNCF had a problem with the licence from the designers for further use of 'Voyages' livery, and so have been obliged to leave locos in the silver base scheme. This is also the livery for Akiem, who are SNCF's loco-hiring subsiduary, though their examples lack the SNCF badge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The “broken nose” BB 7200, class of locos, are what I would call “typically French”!

Although, I could never quite get my mind around the aero-dynamics(!), I quite like them.

I too am a fan of these nez cassés locos. The BB6500 (electric) and CC72000 (diesel) locos are similar, all designed by Paul Arzens.

In case you haven't noticed, BB7200 (1500vDC) + BB15000 (25kv AC) = BB22200 (AC/DC) .

Not sure, but it works like this:

BB7200 work on DC lines.

BB15000 work on AC lines.

7200 + 15000 = 22200.

BB22200 are Bicourant, can work both systems.

If you are interested in SNCF, I can recommend the Platform 5 books.

The first one I had was printed in both English and French in the same book, so helped me no end with the understanding of their railways and in talking to railwaymen.

The latest one is about two years old, they are published about every five years, but aren't cheap, at around 320 for a softback.

Simpler than that, the basic classification (as modified post 1961) allocated numbers in the range 1-9999 to DC locomotives, 10000-19999 to AC locomotives, 20000-29999 dual-current (which can include different AC voltages), 30000-39999 tri-current and 40000-49999 quadri-current, 50000-59999 loco tractors, 60000-79999 diesels.  An experimental CFD turbine locomotive was numbered CC-80001 - whether it represented the start of a range is moot. 

Not sure, but it works like this:

BB7200 work on DC lines.

BB15000 work on AC lines.

7200 + 15000 = 22200.

BB22200 are Bicourant, can work both systems.

If you are interested in SNCF, I can recommend the Platform 5 books.

The first one I had was printed in both English and French in the same book, so helped me no end with the understanding of their railways and in talking to railwaymen.

The latest one is about two years old, they are published about every five years, but aren't cheap, at around 320 for a softback.

It works like that in some series, but otherwise the rule is:-

Four-digit number :-1.5kV DC only

Five-digit number, starting with 2:- dual-voltage 1.5kV DC/25 kV AC

Five-digit number, starting with 3:- tri-voltage 1.5kV DC/ 25 kV AC/ either 3kV DC or 15kV AC, depending which other countries they normally work into

Five-digit number, starting with 4:- quadri-voltage 1,5/3 kV DC & 15/25 kV AC.

The only locos of the latter type were ones that worked from Paris to Bruxelles, Amsterdam and Koln; they were allegedly built to a smaller loading gauge than usual, and with possible addition of a 750V DC capability, in anticipation of the 1970s Channel Tunnel proposal.

It works like that in some series, but otherwise the rule is:-

Four-digit number :-1.5kV DC only

Five-digit number, starting with 2:- dual-voltage 1.5kV DC/25 kV AC

Five-digit number, starting with 3:- tri-voltage 1.5kV DC/ 25 kV AC/ either 3kV DC or 15kV AC, depending which other countries they normally work into

Five-digit number, starting with 4:- quadri-voltage 1,5/3 kV DC & 15/25 kV AC.

The only locos of the latter type were ones that worked from Paris to Bruxelles, Amsterdam and Koln; they were allegedly built to a smaller loading gauge than usual, and with possible addition of a 750V DC capability, in anticipation of the 1970s Channel Tunnel proposal.

Not quite. 

The DC series started at BB-1, so may include one, two, three or four digit numbers and included locomotives converted to run on 750V DC third rail (BB-814 and BB-822).

Dual voltage also included locomotives of the BB-20101, BB-20201 and C-20150 series, equipped to run on 25kV 50Hz and 15kV 16 2/3Hz systems.

You're quite right that, until the advent of BB-47000, the only quadri-current locomotives were the CC-40100 (the SNCB class 18 were equivalent).

The Platform 5 books are useful as a guide to contemporary locomotives and their allocations.  For a wider and historical perspective, the various editions of "Le Materiel Moteur de la SNCF" (DeFrance) are recommended.

Is it true the CC40100 were also designed to be used in a 1960s channel tunnel and have a smaller loading gauge than normal SNCF?

See post 20 above; whilst 'small' relative to other French stock in terms of width and height, they were still bigger than UK loading gauge. The proposal was the 1970s one, I believe.

Archived