class 08 shunter prototype photos

On 31/01/2024 at 14:05, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Joseph Kelly : 08 780 at Reading Depot in October 1976...

08780RGJOSEPHKELLYOCTOBER1976.jpg.75ad2c89f7754a37eb48c3b1202b8540.jpg

I have a vision of Mr Kelly lying on his stomach to get a low-angle shot THAT low, and BR staff in the vicinity amused at his antics! 

What a result though - I've never seen a humble Class 08 looking so impressive - not surprised it's one thumbs-up off a 'Popular Post' achievement! Come on somebody, push it over the line 😃!

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

98238 is a pannier tank...

Um........I can't even come up with an anagram of such a number for a GWR pannier tank! Are there any non-GWR types? I'm always willing to learn something new.....!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Um........I can't even come up with an anagram of such a number for a GWR pannier tank! Are there any non-GWR types? I'm always willing to learn something new.....!

TOPS class 98 is used for any steam locos that have run on the mainline since the early 70s, with the third digit being the power classification and the last two usually the last two digits of the cabside number - 98238 is the number allocated to 16xx pannier 1638

• Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

No, I know it's not an 08, but how this for something different? 

NS 691 met ICR BKD-rijruig en DB 103 243-2 met D1820 Köln Hbf - Eindhoven.

Venlo's answer to the Sheffield shunt.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 19

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2024 at 18:56, Halvarras said:

Yes it is - a colour photo of it appeared in an issue of the short-lived 'Modern Railway Modelling' magazine (anyone remember that? I still have them all, in storage). Others were 3988, 4136 & 4144, all with the older block serif number style and IIRC all with cabside BR arrow logos. 4144 had reversed logos and still had them when renumbered 08914 in 1974.

As D4167 this was the first BR blue Class 08 I ever saw, as Plymouth North Road station pilot in September 1968, and I recall being disappointed that it was already filthy!!

I have a colour EXE-RAIL print of it at Exeter taken not long after it was painted blue 😉

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I have a colour EXE-RAIL print of it at Exeter taken not long after it was painted blue 😉

I remember wondering when I would see my first blue Class 08 in the late '60s and got all excited when a gleaming loco appeared briefly on Carvedras Viaduct in 1967 before shuffling back into Truro yard. Trouble was, I'd seen it from some distance away and when I made it to the station to check it out I found D4007 freshly turned out by Swindon in BR green livery, so I was somewhat deflated! I've since learned that it wasn't alone in this retro-treatment.

The irony was that I had fully expected to have to travel east to find my first blue 08 - as I did - whereas all I had to do was head in the opposite direction to find D4161 at Penzance, which must have been outshopped around the same time as D4167 as it was in identical condition (red bufferbeams & coupling rods, block serif numbers and BR arrows on the side boxes).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2024 at 18:19, sid rover said:

08170JARROW24-5-85.jpg.65a79be1dbe75dd421af6159f90f8ea1.jpg

Anybody else looked at this and thought something went wrong with the backscene on the left?

Noticeboard on the platform unsuccessfully trying to disguise a poor joint between buildings....

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, 25901 said:

D3255 has less meat on her than this one the last time I saw her

That cryptic comment has me wondering - do tell me more!

Reason is I have a Wrenn model detailed and repainted as this one. And the reason for that is that on 18th April 1968 I copped D3255 at the far end of the Wenfordbridge branch in Cornwall. Until 08091/113/377 arrived at St Blazey as the line's closure loomed in 1983 D3255 had been the only early (external side hinges) '08' in the area so it was the one which corresponded best with the model's detail - if it hadn't been around I'd have had to laboriously remove all of those hinges and do D3526 instead! (I did this once to a Lima '08'........and vowed 'never again' 😬!)

I know D3255 was withdrawn in 1972 and went to work for the NCB before acquiring a TOPS number, then ended up in preservation and spent some time stored at Preston Park, but I've lost track of this old friend lately.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I know D3255 was withdrawn in 1972 and went to work for the NCB before acquiring a TOPS number, then ended up in preservation and spent some time stored at Preston Park, but I've lost track of this old friend lately.......

A few years back and has now been move to a new unknown location

D3255 010616.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 25901 said:

A few years back and has now been move to a new unknown location

D3255 010616.jpg

Poor old thing! But hopefully, wherever it went it's still clinging to life and one glorious day will arise like a Phoenix from the ashes.......however unlikely that looks here! No, let's be optimistic 😁!

Many thanks for posting this pic 👍.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

D3199, location and photographer unknown...

D3199UKLL.jpg.a435ca5a681cb1b47db575d980a9715d.jpg

There must be more of a story to D3199 somewhere ? 🤔

Weathered and faded Blue livery, data panel slapped over the BR arrows yet still carrying it's number with it's 'D' prefix. (Presumably it was 13199 and had carried black and or green liveries previously ?)

Unfortunately I can't get to the bulk of my books until the weekend, does anybody know it's allocation history, please ?

Another great and intriguing photo @Rugd1022 , thanks for posting.

Apologies to everyone for 3 question marks in a Prototype  - not questions thread ! It's just piqued my interest that's all. (I'll do my research at the w/end.)

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
  • Like 1