Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

I really do wonder what gets into folk.

Personally I enjoy the WIDE range of points of view that are on display in the forum.  Some people are founts of all knowledge (sometimes verging on the Robbo Ormiston Chant, if you get my drift), some are expert modellers and can whip up an unusual prototype from the most unpromising source material and some can take a photo of a model and tweak it into something that is a source of inspiration in itself.  Others delight in speculation, "what if" and fanciful supposition, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

I quite like looking at robmcg's latest flights of photoshop fancy; to have a snit about them is petty and silly.

This would be a very DULL place if we were all alike and toed a party line.

• Like 3

As someone without anywhere to run my locos at the present time I have to enjoy them in display cases or dioramas.

Whilst the photo enhancement images may not represent true modelling in the sense expected here, they do show off the models effectively, generally in a very emotive way, and I rather like them, and will be sorry not to see any more.

As we can no longer see the full size real thing, these images certainly fire the imagination.

I agree a separate thread might be more appropriate but I should actually like to see more RTR models shown off in this way.

Larry nobody else post photos of the P2 as made and delivered which are clear and good as mine, the modification of many of my photos is my hobby because I am paralysed and have one hand only as you know,  Do you expect me to gain your favour by modelling with my teeth and one working hand? I have always admired your modelling, and photography, but your

You think 'this is not modelling in any sense of the word', well true, of course it is not 'modelling'... it is making illustrations using models to evoke or remember the real thing. Which is what models do.

As to the dozen 'agree' people, thankyou, it didn't realise that looking at a photo was so painful for you all.

You can see most of my pictures in the Lunester Lounge section of the S & C section. It truly disappoints me to be the recipient of so much criticism, some of it privately, some of it quite nasty, and makes this forum at times a very ugly. I am trying to be civilised about this so will ask you simply to ask someone else to produce pics of new models, as clearly my pics offend many of you.

I will not become the middle of a another battle between groups again. I'm gone.

Rob

Larry nobody else post photos of the P2 as made and delivered which are clear and good as mine, the modification of many of my photos is my hobby because I am paralysed and have one hand only as you know,  Do you expect me to gain your favour by modelling with my teeth and one working hand? I have always admired your modelling, and photography, but your

You think 'this is not modelling in any sense of the word', well true, of course it is not 'modelling'... it is making illustrations using models to evoke or remember the real thing. Which is what models do.

As to the dozen 'agree' people, thankyou, it didn't realise that looking at a photo was so painful for you all.

You can see most of my pictures in the Lunester Lounge section of the S & C section. It truly disappoints me to be the recipient of so much criticism, some of it privately, some of it quite nasty, and makes this forum at times a very ugly. I am trying to be civilised about this so will ask you simply to ask someone else to produce pics of new models, as clearly my pics offend many of you.

I will not become the middle of a another battle between groups again. I'm gone.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I for one and I certainly don't think I'm in the minority really appreciate your input and enhanced piccies, keep up the good work !!!!!

• Like 3

James, you PM me expecting me to do something and I give a polite response stating that it was an opposing opinion rather than bullying and then I find this post with you behaving worse than what you were complaining about! Unbelievable.

It's likely this topic will get locked again if it's turned into a playground.

It's not a playground when a contributor is as offensive as Larry can be describing toboldlygo's weathering as without value because the P2 never ran like that, on top of his rant about my pictures which just happen to be the primary source of good review-style pictures of the P2 ,  Larry's criticism being in the full knowledge of my extreme physical limitations (which renders toboldlygo's reaction understandable as they are essentially on my behalf). And his criticism of the weathered P2 defies belief. 

• Like 1

which just happen to be the primary source of good review-style pictures of the P2 ,  

Rob, proper review record photos from me and Tony Wright have appeared previously on RMweb - admittedly of the full fat review sample. However because of the style of image you posted and that there has been at least background editing I wasn't even sure if I was looking at a manipulated image. If you wish to take good review style pictures it should be against a plain background and evident that there is no editing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If there is something that does not appeal to me I scroll on past. If a post contains little or no relevant content then I just scroll on past!

It's not hard!! .......Try it.   :sungum:

It does however take effort to criticize others efforts.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm disabled myself and quite cut off due to my location. RMweb has been a really superb source of communication, entertainment and great friendships where I can share my work and ideas and revel in the achievements of others. Long may it continue and  bravo to all its members no matter how small their input.

Regards Shaun    

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Bernard Lamb. I believe it is May, 1934, the year of 2001's introduction into service, up to the rebuiding in 1938. The RCTS Vol' 6B, has all the details.

On my model I am aiming for Cock O' The North to be representative of May-June, 1934.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks for that .

I have 6B but that just adds to my confusion.

As pointed out by spet0114 the cab cut outs were altered, as were the cab hand rails and seat backs were added at this time.

There appears to be no tablet fittings and appropriate hole in the tender side sheets, so this dates it as prior to going into service in Scotland.

That does tie it down a bit.

Which leaves the question of a date for the wheel rims changing from polished to painted.

Bernard

Rob

Rob

If my comments offended you then I apologise - I was not aware of your situation.

However, I will repeat that I am in awe of your ability with a computer. Moreover, I very much like your photos and would very much like a tutorial on how you produce them.

Further, I would like to see more of your work, but I would prefer it in a dedicated thread.

Perhaps my real gripe is anything that tends to take this (and other threads) off topic and I think that this thread is about the Hornby P2 - is it any good? Can I buy it yet? Can I improve it?

Please keep posting your photos.

Paul

• Like 2

Can I just say I consider Model Railways as 3 dimensional art, that  is how I describe what I do in terms of building a Layout, be it a real location as I am doing this time with Bitton or a fictitious one.

Now when Constable painted the Haywain I bet he added or removed a bit to make the composition more marketable, and there are Art lovers who do not like his work, possibly preferring abstract or modern Art.

So when as we see in ALL Model publications now a days, (not just in the railway world) Photoshopping, alignment correction and sometimes even sky added to remove un wanted back drops that's not that different to what Artist have probably been doing for centuries.

With Rob's pics, to me he is NOT MODELING, he is forming a 3 dimensional image on a 2 dimensional canvas of a 3 dimensional model because he cannot build a 3 dimensional model railway like most of us are lucky enough to be able to do because of his situation.

His Love, Passion, and life is still Railways, Model Railways, Photography and Art, he never says this is my Model Railway, all he does is produce an image of how he portrays his model onto a canvas.

As much as I admire the work of almost every modeller on R M Web and in magazines I also love art, and that is the reason that I for one love his work.

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Rob

If my comments offended you then I apologise - I was not aware of your situation.

However, I will repeat that I am in awe of your ability with a computer. Moreover, I very much like your photos and would very much like a tutorial on how you produce them.

Further, I would like to see more of your work, but I would prefer it in a dedicated thread.

Perhaps my real gripe is anything that tends to take this (and other threads) off topic and I think that this thread is about the Hornby P2 - is it any good? Can I buy it yet? Can I improve it?

Please keep posting your photos.

Paul

If you go to the Lunester Lounge in the Settle and Carlile section Rob posts regularly in there and its warmly welcomed by the Lunesters, BUT BEWARE, it also covers Music, Building Houses and a lot of P taking as well

Bodge

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

If you go to the Lunester Lounge in the Settle and Carlile section Rob posts regularly in there and its warmly welcomed by the Lunesters, BUT BEWARE, it also covers Music, Building Houses and a lot of P taking as well

Bodge

Looks like someone has gone beyond taking the P, and taken the S instead.....:)

Looks like someone has gone beyond taking the P, and taken the S instead..... :)

Yeah sorry about that, its my bad grandmaa, I was just finishing the post when my neighbour called me and needed some help. I didn't check it as I should have done.

Andy.

• Like 3

. . .  It truly disappoints me to be the recipient of so much criticism, some of it privately, some of it quite nasty, and makes this forum at times a very ugly. I am trying to be civilised about this so will ask you simply to ask someone else to produce pics of new models, as clearly my pics offend many of you.

Rob

Rob, I'm sure the vast majority of members of RMWeb enjoy your pictures and truly appreciate the results. One has to remember that there are tens of thousands - literally - of members and those that criticize are very few in number and probably do not represent any members other than themselves. Sadly, despite Andy and the Mods' endeavors to keep them at bay a few will always get through and destroy the pleasure of the vast majority. It's a fact of life that those who enjoy upsetting others will always get satisfaction by doing so and their utterances will seem to be disproportionate.

People always say 'ignore them' but it is hard to do. The Silent Majority, sadly, always live up to their name, although their silence can usually be taken to mean they have no objections.

All power to your elbow - don't stop doing what you are doing, please continue to entertain us all.

Jeremy English

Edited by Belgian
  • Like 2

I'm with AndyP in support of Rob. Why being a superb modeller makes some people assume the power to denigrate others lesser efforts is beyond me. Especially when they consider they have a right to castigate someone with severe disabilities which have left him unable to model in the conventional manner. I have nothing but admiration for Rob's work as the images take me back to my many trips on the footplate of these amazing machines, and it would appear that I am not alone!

I hope that the despicable few will now have the guts to hang their heads in shame or publish an apologetic post!

Jock.

• Like 2

I Have just received an email from Rails of Sheffield advising that some super detail P2's are on their way.

They will be out in batches, and the rest will be out in October.

Look forward to receiving mine, hopefully an early batch.

Mark in Oz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would like to apologize to anyone who read my post last night before I deleted it. To say I was extremely annoyed and upset at having both mine and Rob's work attacked in the manor they were, is the understatement of the century and in light of current health issues on top of my disability, it's very dangerous line to cross.

I would also like to point out that there are rules on this forum and they seem to have been forgotten about:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35-forum-rules/

Time to draw a line in the sand and move on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

If we have a thread on the Hornby P2 we don't need a continuing set of photoshopped pictures however nice or technically advanced they may be. I believe you all may have missed this from Coachmans entry. One or two yes but rafts of them no - could you not start a seperate thread Rob as I am certain they would provide even more enjoyment to all? The thread name would mean that people would be able  to see it at once rather than stumbling across it in this thread.

So the P2.. having seen one (which had a straight chimney) and having seen its fairly hefty pulling powers - has anyone a photo (or photos) of how it comes apart as it seems this can be a little tricky?

I didn't notice the arrangement for the trailing truck - how does that work?

How easy is it to change the motor? 

and... has any one done a spring balance haulage test? Assessing it using a rake of Hornby or Bachmann stock is no good to me - I need it to pull kit built coaches...

Ta for the replies

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

If we have a thread on the Hornby P2 we don't need a continuing set of photoshopped pictures however nice or technically advanced they may be. I believe you all may have missed this from Coachmans entry. One or two yes but rafts of them no - could you not start a seperate thread Rob as I am certain they would provide even more enjoyment to all? The thread name would mean that people would be able  to see it at once rather than stumbling across it in this thread.

So the P2.. having seen one (which had a straight chimney) and having seen its fairly hefty pulling powers - has anyone a photo (or photos) of how it comes apart as it seems this can be a little tricky?

and... has any one done a spring balance haulage test? Assessing it using a rake of Hornby or Bachmann stock is no good to me - I need it to pull kit built coaches...

Ta for the replies

Hello.

There are instructions for removing the body in the box. From memory it's one screw at the front & the body hooks over the back end. Watch out for the motor connections when lifting the body off. 

The trailing truck is as the Gresley Pacifics ie a fixed flangeless wheelset.

Can't help with the other queries, sorry.

Will

• RMweb Gold

Ta for the replies

The last time Rob had a separate thread for his images, it was removed at Rob's request for various reasons.

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

I would like to apologize to anyone who read my post last night before I deleted it. To say I was extremely annoyed and upset at having both mine and Rob's work attacked in the manor they were, is the understatement of the century and in light of current health issues on top of my disability, it's very dangerous line to cross.

I would also like to point out that there are rules on this forum and they seem to have been forgotten about:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35-forum-rules/

Time to draw a line in the sand and move on.

Well said,James.It takes courage.....yes,the word means guts....to apologise. Now,here's a thought....I wonder if others will take their cue from you and do likewise.Thank you for reminding us of the rules of this website.Either they are unread or there is a kind of collective amnesia abroad. I suggest for "homework",we all read,mark,learn and inwardly digest them. Otherwise,we'll go on taking challenge to unacceptable limits.Pressing a button of any kind does not guarantee anonymity. If we have sincerely held views,can we all agree to debate in civilised manner without causing offence.....please?

• Like 3