Special Wagons & Traffic - photos from the NRM

• 4 years later...
On 21/12/2012 at 18:58, jonhall said:

Another collection from the NRM's collection. These have been available through te science & Society website for some time, but are now available from the NRM website, and as they are not always very well indexed, I shall spend my Christmas holidays compiling a gallery. Help identifing wagon diagrams is welcome, and if I have a copy of the diagram, I will try and add it to the post (given enough time).

To start.... an example of not knowing what they are looking at, and a set of 5 special wagons. The load is of course something like a stator (the round thing in the middle), the 'bridge beams' are in fact the counterweight beams to spread the load. IIRC the beams are carried on 12 wheel warwells (warwell ELL or WLL? ) (Edit - no they aren't - and I'm on about the NRM not knowing their stuff) with the counterweight suspended over the bed of a trolly of some sort.

Oversize load of cantilever bridge sections. Darlington area (third rail electri

Description: Oversize load of cantilever bridge sections. Darlington area (third rail electric in foreground).

http://www.nrm.org.uk/img/NRM/worksphotos/shildon/1997-7486_363.jpg

Use non-commercially: The photo above is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) licence. In a nutshell, that means it's free for any non-commercial use as long as you credit "© National Railway Museum and SSPL" and add a link back to this page.http://www.nrm.org.u...shildon&item=24

I appreciate it's a blast from the past, but I'm intrigued. Do you have a copy of the image as the originally linked one has disappeared ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

No I didn't save any of them, I have had an email conversation about the 'Liverpool Street' collection with someone at the NRM during lockdown, but the answer wasn't very satisfactory - basically some of the files have been deleted from the website (on top of having changed the file structure, thus breaking the links that remain)  she thought because the scan quality wasn't very good, but I suspect they just don't understand their collection. Some of the photos are still available through the NRM's website, but they take some finding.

Jon

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1