Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember the prominent brass piping on the front corner of the cab on the other models. Perhaps it is on Lode Star and I just don't remember it. I should check.

The brass "piping" is actually the brass beading on the Cab corners. Something most GWR passenger locos carried.

I don't remember the prominent brass piping on the front corner of the cab on the other models. Perhaps it is on Lode Star and I just don't remember it. I should check.

Saints and Stars lost brass beading to cab edges and splashers during WW1 and most did not have it replaced.

Fitted as standard on post WW1 builds.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Photos have now appeared an Kernow's website:-

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/53400/R3455-Hornby-GWR-Star-Class-Steam-Locomotive-number-4013

The green does look darker than recent Hornby offerings though that could be simply down to camera settings. I think you'd have to judge by seeing it in the flesh.

A couple of things I noticed: there is no brass beading over the splashers (historically correct) but it does appear to be depicted on the leading edge of the cab. Is that right?

Also, the cylinder/steam chest end covers are silvered over as well as the rods for the piston valves similar to "Lode Star". It looks very pretty but is it really correct for a loco in post war condition?

I sincerely hope this is better assembled than previous "Star" releases. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who acquires one of these to find out if Hornby have introduced brass axle bearings for this model. I think previous releases have been plain bearings only.

Yes the silvered finish is an oddity,i grant you.Unless this loco was a shed "pet" and was kept specially buffed up.Certainly,the Treacy shot shows her in fine condition but there seems to be no evidence of that.Late on in its existence,Bath Road grew fond of 4056 and it became quite a celebrity but AFIK the only adornment was the reinstatement of GWR style bufferbeam numerals together with the removal of its smokebox number plate during its final months in service. On balance,the silvering is probably artistic licence,albeit attractive and an echo of the earlier Lode Star model.

Hornby is probably using up components so paint over silvered cylinder covers. Several things to watch if renumbering, one of them being the lowering of the screw reverser. I made a pod that goes in front of the cab for my last 'Star', dimensions for which can be obtained from a 'Castle' if you have one.

An usual good source of spares is Peter's but even their replacement bogie for the Star still has twelve spoked wheels. :O

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6896-star-4000-class-front-bogie.ir?cName=spares-Hornby-spares-all

But the Castle one has ten....same wheelbase bogie

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6157-castle-class-loco-front-bogie-assembly.ir

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When Hornby first bought out the Star I emailed Hornby and asked the to send me the correct wheels and it work 3 times just be polite but firm, they are well aware of the issue with them after the fuse kicked up back then.

Very disappointing that the bogies have too many spokes again.  It was a lazy mistake the first time, but to make it again is a bit ridiculous.  It would have been nice if they had fixed some of the shortcomings on the previous releases but I understand that some of those are quite expensive to do.  This on the other hand was completely avoidable and very disappointing.

Those castle bogies on peterspares look like a good fix though.

I understand that mistakes happen and you'll never get an exact replica but it's frustrating because this one is the most easy to fix of them all.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

To sum up :

1. Spokegate(again)

2. Handrailgate

3. Silvergate.

4. Greengate (again) .......?

Any takers to date ?

I suppose that with decent weathering ,a set of plates and brushing out the silver it would be ok. From the images online I think I want to see one directly out of the box before making any decision. Great Western green is not what I'm getting and yes it is important and the overall impression is underwhelming.Sounds daft I know but I need more verismo and less chocolate box.Sorry...

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

To sum up :

1. Spokegate(again)

2. Handrailgate

3. Silvergate.

Any takers to date ?

I suppose that with decent weathering ,a set of plates and brushing out the silver it would be ok. From the images online I think I want to see one directly out of the box before making any decision. Great Western green is not what I'm getting and yes it is important and the overall impression is underwhelming.Sounds daft I knowp but I need more verismo and less chocolate box.Sorry...

Padded Cell gate ;)

• RMweb Premium

To sum up :

1. Spokegate(again)

2. Handrailgate

3. Silvergate.

Any takers to date ?

I suppose that with decent weathering ,a set of plates and brushing out the silver it would be ok. .

I have one and despite the faults I am pleased - I can't make kit locos, so with the corrections listed in your post, 4012 will look awesome.

Yes in an earlier post I said I would cancel a pre-order if it came with outside pipes - for me that would  have been one fault too far,  But for half an hour's modelling, this is going to be a great engine which I will be proud to own.

• RMweb Gold

To sum up :

1. Spokegate(again)

2. Handrailgate

3. Silvergate.

Any takers to date ?

I suppose that with decent weathering ,a set of plates and brushing out the silver it would be ok. From the images online I think I want to see one directly out of the box before making any decision. Great Western green is not what I'm getting and yes it is important and the overall impression is underwhelming.Sounds daft I know but I need more verismo and less chocolate box.Sorry...

Whilst I totally agree with your sentiments I've bitten the bullet and ordered one.Hopefully I can turn it into a decent layout loco for ANTB with the creation of Newton's Knight of the Thistle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have one and despite the faults I am pleased - I can't make kit locos, so with the corrections listed in your post, 4012 will look awesome.

Yes in an earlier post I said I would cancel a pre-order if it came with outside pipes - for me that would  have been one fault too far,  But for half an hour's modelling, this is going to be a great engine which I will be proud to own.

Whilst I totally agree with your sentiments I've bitten the bullet and ordered one.Hopefully I can turn it into a decent layout loco for ANTB with the creation of Newton's Knight of the Thistle.

Thanks both for your reassuring posts.Being realistic ,it's the only one of its era we're likely to get so you've given me encouragement to follow suit.Looks like it might be an ideal candidate for the respray treatment given to one of your Halls recently,Robin.

Make do and mend seems appropriate in this case.

Edit : Perhaps I should explain that these were locomotives and this was the era I grew up with/in....the late 40's and early 50's I have,if you like,more than a sentimental interest in this particular model.They were often spotted by a small boy in short trousers from a passing train at 87E and from the end of Swansea High Street in the course of a seaside day out at the Mumbles ( via the Mumbles train of course) :senile: Chokes back lump in throat ..... :jester:

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Probably already posted this one a couple of times, but this respray only took an evenings work (Halfords primer and Satin Black)

The latter is fantastic, but take care to remove all trace of the primer. The black is so thin a coat of shows up any issues with the underlying finish.

Must get on and add the new cab side hand rail and replace the bogie wheels with Gibson. I haven't bothered with the vertical hand rail thinking the risk of damage too great.

post-54-0-35723200-1491643500_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I have only a historical interest, although I can quite understand the lump in the throat phenomenon. Now this is only my opinion but, if you forgive the visualisation, this model and the Duke are right at the bottom of the “design clever” pit. The eight-coupled tanks are on the downward slope and the P2 on the upward. What I hate about something like this Star is (as Ian almost says) that we are not now likely to get a Star to the standard of, say, a King.

In all fairness to Hornby, other manufacturers have produced stuff which isn’t quite up to scratch without the aid of a “design clever initiative”.

Hornby has had a crack at remedial work on the tanks. Some on this model would be most welcome. I have expressed myself badly. I already have a Star. I would like all its shortcomings addressed before I would get another.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have only a historical interest, although I can quite understand the lump in the throat phenomenon. Now this is only my opinion but, if you forgive the visualisation, this model and the Duke are right at the bottom of the “design clever” pit. The eight-coupled tanks are on the downward slope and the P2 on the upward. What I hate about something like this Star is (as Ian almost says) that we are not now likely to get a Star to the standard of, say, a King.

In all fairness to Hornby, other manufacturers have produced stuff which isn’t quite up to scratch without the aid of a “design clever initiative”.

Hornby has had a crack at remedial work on the tanks. Some on this model would be most welcome. I have expressed myself badly. I already have a Star. I would like all its shortcomings addressed before I would get another.

On the contrary,you have reached right to the essence of the matter and I for one have no issue with what you have posted.I would have wished for a Star ( pun unintentional )with none of the issues I have highlighted above.But we are where we are and no,given the current situation with Hornby ( and others,I imagine ) this is as close I am likely to get in this world to a representative ( and here I use the word advisedly ) late GWR/ early BR version in 4mm guise.

No your post is far more incisive than you might think.It is candid and neatly hits the mark.Well said !

• Like 1

I suppose ones approach to such things depends on whether one is a railway modeller or not. Clever Design locos are easily sorted plus we are starting from a low price point. I have detailed four Railroad 'Hall' class locos to date and an 8P 'Duke'. They were worth it because they had smooth running flywheel chassis. I thought the 'Star' too was a fine model. From memory, all I did was fit different bogie wheels and give it a complete repaint after lowering the reversor. It performed well with DCC Sound too, which is more than could be said for two 'King' class locos.

Edited to add video...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4