Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Sorry - managed to post without adding comment.

I now own a troop train pack - interestingly whilst the engine itself has the narrower taller safety bonnet, the cover illustration on front and back of box shows the later style

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bump for this thread to say Hornby have responded to the pipes query on 4013.The new release 4013 in post war livery 'Knight of St Patrick' will come without steam pipes.It was one of the class that never received them.The website image is incorrect.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please does anyone know if Hornby's British Monarch can be simply renamed and renumbered to represent one of the Princesses running at anytime in BR days? For instance somewhere on this huge thread I Think there was a link to a list of which steam pipes were fitted to which engine when. Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Ok I now know that Princesses Mary, Victoria, Alice, Charlotte, Margaret, Augusta and Eugenie all received elbow type steam pipes. But how many received BR livery? There is a photo of 4020 Knight Commander with G crest W on the tender in March 1951.

Is there more to it than that? Always best to have at least one photo l know.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

gwrrob the link you posted is not working, but I think you were pointing me to GW archives I have just been looking at. Thanks. Pleased it confirmed I can actually tell the difference between elbow and Castle type steam pipes in the few photos I was looking at.

Please does anyone know if Hornby's British Monarch can be simply renamed and renumbered to represent one of the Princesses running at anytime in BR days? For instance somewhere on this huge thread I Think there was a link to a list of which steam pipes were fitted to which engine when. Thanks

I don't think page 1 of this thread is that difficult to find.:-)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just like Robin in post#1 I am also trying to work out which Star?

A MASSIVE RE-EDIT having just seen Robin's post above - KoSP comes without Steam pipes despite the Hornby website image.

I have a while to work it out, because KoSP isn't due out until July according to the website.  I was lucky enough to get a perfect (apart from bogie wheels) 4003, but that really doesn't fit my time period unless I buy a spare tender for it..........but it wouldn't be the only loco on North Cranford with a spare tender.....

So whilst I rethink, based on the lack of steam pipes, my questions to the RMWeb learned are:

1. Which Hornby tender, other than that due to arrive with KoSP, will fit/connect up to Lode Star?  [bonus if it is a late logo, single filler 4000g Collett, but not a deal breaker]

2.  How likely in 1947, would it have been to find Swansea or Laira based Stars coming to Paddington?

Thank you from a long way off.............

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

So if my research is correct, for a 1945-49 time period, in keeping with the tender and logo, the only renames possible for 4013 KoSP are:

10  Western Star   scrapped in the 30s

12 Thistle

17 Knight of the Liege

unless the "box" front valve cover is changed to be "scallopped",   This would then allow renaming to include:

21 British Monarch

22 Belgian Monarch

23 ( no name)

25(no name)

30 (no name)

Or have I got this incorrect?

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Just like Robin in post#1 I am also trying to work out which Star?

A MASSIVE RE-EDIT having just seen Robin's post above - KoSP comes without Steam pipes despite the Hornby website image.

I have a while to work it out, because KoSP isn't due out until July according to the website.  I was lucky enough to get a perfect (apart from bogie wheels) 4003, but that really doesn't fit my time period unless I buy a spare tender for it..........but it wouldn't be the only loco on North Cranford with a spare tender.....

So whilst I rethink, based on the lack of steam pipes, my questions to the RMWeb learned are:

1. Which Hornby tender, other than that due to arrive with KoSP, will fit/connect up to Lode Star?  [bonus if it is a late logo, single filler 4000g Collett, but not a deal breaker]

2.  How likely in 1947, would it have been to find Swansea or Laira based Stars coming to Paddington?

Thank you from a long way off.............

To q2.....highly likely.

• RMweb Premium

Cor - Hornby like keeping the options for renames narrow, just like Wellington, as stated much earlier by Robin.

So if they were still travelling far and wide, and without modifications to the model, I am left with:

a.  Keep as 4013

b.  KotThistle

c.  Liege, which has very little appeal.  I had a kit built 4017 which brings back bad memories of buying someone else's badly built kits on Ebay.  Which I never learnt from because I then bought a well built but iffy running 47XX........

So let's see what names are actually available from the usual plate makers.........

Edited by M.I.B

So if my research is correct, for a 1945-49 time period, in keeping with the tender and logo, the only renames possible for 4013 KoSP are:

21 British Monarch

22 Belgian Monarch

23 ( no name)

25(no name)

30 (no name)

Or have I got this incorrect?

4021 was the only 'Monarch to keep its' name. 4022 was the first to lose the name Belgian Monarch in May 1940. It can be argued that 4027/9 kept their names, but as both were scrapped in 1934....... They had 'STAR CLASS' painted in white letters on the centre splasher.

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/resources/Star%20Class.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Further to the current discussion on postwar GWR Stars, I thought I'd give interested RMwebbers a sneak peak at my project to take a 4050 Princes Alice, formerly of the WW1 Troop Train Pack, and make a post-war, unlined green Star. I wanted a bit of variety, as we are all familiar with fully lined out GWR express passenger locos, however perhaps less well known was the wartime need to paint Kings, Castles, Stars and some Halls unlined green. Knowing that we are unlikely to ever see such a liveried release from the RTR boys (although kudos to Hattons and Dave Jones for offering an unlined GWR green King in their forthcoming range; which I have duly ordered!), I have thus set about creating such a loco for myself. Stage 1 is complete - the acquisition of an unlined G-Crest-W tender from Pitchford Hall in the 'Tyseley Connection' Train Pack. 

post-18813-0-24268000-1454261945_thumb.jpg

Further work to be done? Well, from the front of the loco to the rear:

1) Move the headlamp bracket from atop the smokebox, to the smokebox door

2) Replace the tall safety valve cover for a shorter type although I have photographic evidence that 4049 (albeit with Castle style outside steampipes) retained its tall cover until at least 1946. Hence, I may leave the tall bonnet if I can find evidence of such a class member with inside steam pipes being so fitted by 1946/47.

3) Rename and renumber to a suitable member of the class - Princess Alice was fitted with Elbow steam pipes in June 1946, and so I'd be pushing it to leave this Star so named and run her in late 46 & 47. Current candidates (aside those named after 'Monarchs' as most names were removed during WW2 - see Coach bogie's post above) are: 

- 4021 British Monarch

- 4031 Queen Mary

- 4039 Queen Matilda

- 4042 Prince Albert 

- 4061 Glastonbury Abbey

- 4062 Malmesbury Abbey 

4) Remove the horrible moulded rear tender handrails with a scalpel and fine grade sand paper and replace with Hornby or Comet handrails. 

5) Sit back and enjoy! I already have a re-liveried Glastonbury Abbey (to become 4045 Prince John) with elbow steam pipes, and slated for a 2016 release is Hornby's 4013 Knight of St.Patrick with inside steam pipes, so for varieties sake I really need a Castle steam-piped version, which Hornby is yet to release in any livery. 

Hope this is of interest to some. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Beat me to it CoY

I was going to drop my 4013 in the brake fluid and go for a semi matt unlined finish, for the same reasons.

Nice.

• RMweb Premium

Where did you get your Princess Alice sold separately please or did you buy the whole troop train set.

People are regularly breaking sets on Ebay.

They must get the sets in as clearance or bankrupt stock and value the sum of the parts to bemore than the whole.

Set up a search and you'll be offered all sorts of memorabelia commemorating the late Duchess of Gloucester........

• RMweb Premium

Further to the current discussion on postwar GWR Stars, I thought I'd give interested RMwebbers a sneak peak at my project to take a 4050 Princes Alice, formerly of the WW1 Troop Train Pack, and make a post-war, unlined green Star. I wanted a bit of variety, as we are all familiar with fully lined out GWR express passenger locos, however perhaps less well known was the wartime need to paint Kings, Castles, Stars and some Halls unlined green. Knowing that we are unlikely to ever see such a liveried release from the RTR boys (although kudos to Hattons and Dave Jones for offering an unlined GWR green King in their forthcoming range; which I have duly ordered!), I have thus set about creating such a loco for myself. Stage 1 is complete - the acquisition of an unlined G-Crest-W tender from Pitchford Hall in the 'Tyseley Connection' Train Pack.

DSC_0607.JPG

Further work to be done? Well, from the front of the loco to the rear:

1) Move the headlamp bracket from atop the smokebox, to the smokebox door

2) Replace the tall safety valve cover for a shorter type although I have photographic evidence that 4049 (albeit with Castle style outside steampipes) retained its tall cover until at least 1946. Hence, I may leave the tall bonnet if I can find evidence of such a class member with inside steam pipes being so fitted by 1946/47.

3) Rename and renumber to a suitable member of the class - Princess Alice was fitted with Elbow steam pipes in June 1946, and so I'd be pushing it to leave this Star so named and run her in late 46 & 47. Current candidates (aside those named after 'Monarchs' as most names were removed during WW2 - see Coach bogie's post above) are:

- 4021 British Monarch

- 4031 Queen Mary

- 4039 Queen Matilda

- 4042 Prince Albeerr

- 4061 Glastonbury Abbey

- 4062 Malmesbury Abbey

4) Remove the horrible moulded rear tender handrails with a scalpel and fine grade sand paper and replace with Hornby or Comet handrails.

5) Sit back and enjoy! I already have a re-liveried Glastonbury Abbey (to become 4045 Prince John) with elbow steam pipes, and slated for a 2016 release is Hornby's 4013 Knight of St.Patrick with inside steam pipes, so for varieties sake I really need a Castle steam-piped version, which Hornby is yet to release in any livery.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Cheers,

CoY

Can you post more pictures please?

Where did you get your Princess Alice sold separately please or did you buy the whole troop train set.

Picked up a WW1 Troop Train pack around a year ago, after they started coming down in price - picked it up for around £125 IIRC. Still have the beautifully decorated clerestories that came with it however they aren't any good for my period, and they are far too nice to repaint, so I might flog them. 

As M.I.B states above, if you keep your eyes peeled - particularly on eBay - Princess Alice, and sometime Pitchford Hall are listed as split from set. I was lucky enough to pick up a Tyseley Connection train pack from the recent Hawkin's fire sale, so I've now got the correct tender for the Star, and a smaller 3500 gallon tender for the Hall - which some were indeed still fitted with even post-war. 

Need to order some Modelmaster plates for the Star now!

CoY

• Like 1

A lovely loco you're developing there CoY. One other thing you might need to do is move the red route restriction disc down so that it's just above the number plate.

It might also be worth checking if Stars had the small white 'X' underneath the red route restriction disc as was added during and after the war to some classes to show they could haul more than their usual load if required. I seem to recall that there's a nice shot of a Star in postwar plain green in O S Nock's 'Stars, Castles and Kings' which might help with this.

I lookf forward to seeing the finished loco!

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I'm not going to post more until I've completed the conversion to the spec as I've listed above. The image I posted was a taster, and I won't be happy with it myself until I've properly detailed it. Sorry!

CoY

When the tender is closely coupled to the engine, it's not that noticeable how big the Collett tender is compared to the slender Star loco body.

• RMweb Gold

Mine came from Rails, not sure if they have any still but it was sub £100.