Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

This is my Queen Berengaria with Modelmaster/Jackson Evans plates. Using a craft knife, I scored, repeatedly, beneath the beading until the bottom of the backing plate separated. I then glued the name section over the Hornby plate. Note if you are using the Knight than your either need a long alternative name or you will have to cut back the existing name. This was on a Glastonbury Abbey that I retro fitted to GWR condition.

post-9992-0-42610100-1411678390_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 12

Update:

Replacement arrived on Tuesday, with a full refund of my return postage, thank you Steam Museum. The replacement has none of the above issues. However, the body fixing screw was quite loose this time - and the brass ferrule (is that the term?) even came out from under the smokebox  - but at least I can get the body off this one!

I had the same problem with the brass ferrule, and it would not stay in its plastic socket, which is one of the reasons I sent it back.  Indeed, my Lode Star body would not fit on the chassis and the original assembler forced it and pulled the ferrule out, which was what shipped to me.  I have a replacement that seems ok.  I bought a couple of coaches recently, directly from Hornby, and they had detail problems of broken bits.  It seems to me that the original quality control is failing at times, and Hornby is just shipping without checking.

• RMweb Gold

Er....what original quality control ? Lack of it is a continuing theme through the Hornby section of RMWeb. Just take time to read through a few of the other threads here and you will take the point.After a long wait for delivery from China,there is a seeming deluge of new products in quick succession,which is great news for us and I imagine a huge boost in much needed cash flow for Hornby.Add to this a move to new premises in Canterbury and you reach a state of flux in which something has to give,always bearing in mind that there is a relatively new and inexperienced factory now coming on stream.

In this situation QC....never Hornby's strong point....slips.

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd have a session running Stars and Castles this afternoon.Result.....'Lode Star ' loco body cleanly parted company with the chassis on handling to rail,the ensuing trauma bending both etched plates like a banana.Screws,anyone? Castle 5011 front bogie accidentally attached itself to cylinder gubbins and the delicate attempt to free it failed with the inevitable loss of the minute collar by which it hangs from the body.Oh yes ,it will run ok...but what a b#### nuisance. Then it's the turn of 5053....already without that collar.Hadn't run this one for a while.To test before Alex ( Lochnagar) weathers & adds etched plates tomorrow. ....dead as mutton ,not even the sign of a short.

4061 still running with peculiar chafing noise......Not a good recommendation for Hornby,Heigh ho.

.'Lode Star ' loco body cleanly parted company with the chassis on handling to rail,the ensuing trauma ...Not a good recommendation for Hornby,Heigh ho.

When this happened to my Load Star I complained at Swindon and at Hornby - nobody had ever heard of the problem....

• RMweb Gold
When this happened to my Load Star I complained at Swindon and at Hornby - nobody had ever heard of the problem....[/quot

Thank you.....I believe it could be described as being 'in denial'.I do believe them when they say they have never heard of the problem.Hearing aids probably switched off.Straight from the factory onto the rails.....nothing to do with them.....honest guv....it's that Chinese factory.....blame them.....nothing to do with us.In modern parlance it's called not 'claiming ownership' of your own product.

• RMweb Gold

The Star body is attached by just the one screw which easily works loose if insufficiently tightened,as I discovered the hard way yesterday afternoon..the problem is that although nothing seems out of place on first examination,it probably only takes a period of use to loosen up again.What looks to be a small posidrive screw is part of a larger,threaded object which (supposedly) does the job of uniting the chassis to the body.....'Design Clever,my dear Dr. Watson !'

Thus,if you are the 'proud owner' of a Hornby Star....check and tighten periodically...otherwise it will be case of 'Catch A Falling Star'

I learned the hard way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of mine had no problem with a untightened screw the ferule which is fitted into the body under the smokebox had no sign of glue. The other had a tender hand rail loose and a couple of other faults which I have not yet got around to sorting yet.

Tightening the screw seems to have secured the fit.Looking at the instruction sheet for the Castle,I notice it's exactly the same system. One thing is sure.I will be cautious in future about handling them.The only damage appears to be a tender handrail which detached itself and a set of etched name plates which need resetting.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me if the Stars still worked in Devon in the 1950s?. I suspect secondary traffic and relief trains would be the sort of traffic they would be working by then, but so far l have found no photographic evidence as yet?

Can anyone tell me if the Stars still worked in Devon in the 1950s?. I suspect secondary traffic and relief trains would be the sort of traffic they would be working by then, but so far l have found no photographic evidence as yet?

Close.

There is a photo on page 128 of "The Day of the Holiday Express" (Richard Woodley - Ian Allan) of 4056 'Princess Margaret' on a returning Swindon Works "Trip" holiday train from Paignton crossing Aller junction dated 14 July 1956.

The first coach looks to be LMS as it has a ducket - perhaps a rake borrowed from the Bristol area?

The locomotive is sporting largish black on white numerals at the front to indicate it is train number 40 of the "Trip" programme.

No photo - but I also have a note from the "Summer Saturdays in the West" (which I have temporarily mislaid!) that 4056 worked the 9.15 a.m Liverpool to Plymouth and Kingswear in July 1957 as far as Newton Abbot, probably from Bristol, as it was based at 82A Bristol Bath Road at the time.

That run must have been getting close to a swan song as the loco was withdrawn in October 1957.

• RMweb Premium

Close.

There is a photo on page 128 of "The Day of the Holiday Express" (Richard Woodley - Ian Allan) of 4056 'Princess Margaret' on a returning Swindon Works "Trip" holiday train from Paignton crossing Aller junction dated 14 July 1956.

The first coach looks to be LMS as it has a ducket - perhaps a rake borrowed from the Bristol area?

The locomotive is sporting largish black on white numerals at the front to indicate it is train number 40 of the "Trip" programme.

No photo - but I also have a note from the "Summer Saturdays in the West" (which I have temporarily mislaid!) that 4056 worked the 9.15 a.m Liverpool to Plymouth and Kingswear in July 1957 as far as Newton Abbot, probably from Bristol, as it was based at 82A Bristol Bath Road at the time.

That run must have been getting close to a swan song as the loco was withdrawn in October 1957.

Hi there

Many thanks for this info, it sounds as if the remainder of the class did not venture any further west than Newton Abbot, shames as l d have loved to have seen one working further west to Plymouth!

Now I ll need to find anothe excuse to own a Hornby Star!

Cheers Bob C

Hi there

Many thanks for this info, it sounds as if the remainder of the class did not venture any further west than Newton Abbot, shames as l d have loved to have seen one working further west to Plymouth!

Now I ll need to find anothe excuse to own a Hornby Star!

Cheers Bob C

Well, there wasn't much of a remainder by then, only three made into 1956 with large numbers withdrawn in 1950/1/2. If you want a Star at Plymouth you just need to model the era before the Castles were introduced. Immediately before and after WW1, the majority of those not at Paddington were at Plymouth, but from 1926/7 they were being replaced by Castles.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Well, there wasn't much of a remainder by then, only three made into 1956 with large numbers withdrawn in 1950/1/2. If you want a Star at Plymouth you just need to model the era before the Castles were introduced. Immediately before and after WW1, the majority of those not at Paddington were at Plymouth, but from 1926/7 they were being replaced by Castles.

Nick

Oh dear, well thats that then, l was hoping the odd survivor may have worked west on summer saturdays  during the mid 1950s, but l guess not.

Well gents many thanks for your input

Bob.C

O.S. Nock's book "GWR Stars, Castles & Kings, Part 2, 1930-1965" David and Charles Locomotive Monographs 1970, ISBN 0715347438 has a chapter 7 "Last work of the Stars".  O.S.Nock records his footplate runs of the last work, but there are none further west than Exeter.  There are quite a few pictures of Stars hauling "blood and custard" in that chapter.  Wonderful book.

it sounds as if the remainder of the class did not venture any further west than Newton Abbot, shames as l d have loved to have seen one working further west to Plymouth!  Now I ll need to find another excuse to own a Hornby Star!

I needed no excuse, but you are right, a bit of dreaming and imagination is necessary to do the trick.

I was just getting round to replacing the bogie wheels on my Lode Star last night, thinking that they would just clip in somehow, but cannot figure out how to do it.

I am sure many people on this site have done it ...

I have the replacement 10-spoke wheels from Hornby and put them on the axle checking the back-to-back measurement.

How to I get the front bogie off the engine to replace them?

Many Thanks

I was just getting round to replacing the bogie wheels on my Lode Star last night, thinking that they would just clip in somehow, but cannot figure out how to do it.

I am sure many people on this site have done it ...

I have the replacement 10-spoke wheels from Hornby and put them on the axle checking the back-to-back measurement.

How to I get the front bogie off the engine to replace them?

Many Thanks

The wheels are a push-fit onto splined axles, so pull one wheel off to separate. I too haven't yet worked out how to remove the front bogie......... :scratchhead:    

• RMweb Gold

The wheels are a push-fit onto splined axles, so pull one wheel off to separate. I too haven't yet worked out how to remove the front bogie......... :scratchhead:    

Bogie removal on the Star, looks to be much the same as on the Castle. With the loco inverted (preferably in a Loco Cradle or use the box innards that the loco came in), you'll see a screw recessed in a slot in the chassis block behind the bogie. Unscrew the screw and the bogie should lift free along with it's mounting plate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have been looking at getting a Star and any pictures I have seen online seem to show that the beading around the edges of the nameplate seem to be slightly raised as per the original. Is this correct or just a trick of the light in every photo I am seeing

• 1 month later...
Guest 7007GreatWestern

Sirs,

Over on RMWeb's "Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread" it has come to light that the second batch of Hornby 2-8-0Ts feature brass axle bearings:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72189-Hornby-42xx-not-a-bashing-thread/page-10

See post 233 by contributor 'toboldlygo'.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a "British Monarch" apart and whether it too has been upgraded compared to the original "Glastonbury Abbey" release.

Cheers,

Andy (aka 7007GreatWestern)

• RMweb Gold

Sirs,

Over on RMWeb's "Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread" it has come to light that the second batch of Hornby 2-8-0Ts feature brass axle bearings:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72189-Hornby-42xx-not-a-bashing-thread/page-10

See post 233 by contributor 'toboldlygo'.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a "British Monarch" apart and whether it too has been upgraded compared to the original "Glastonbury Abbey" release.

Cheers,

Andy (aka 7007GreatWestern)

There was a slightly vague mention in the Modelling press that British Monarch was an "Improved" Star Class..

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi 'toboldlygo',

Thanks for your reply.

Don't you find this all a bit strange?

Over on the "Bachmann Modified Hall" thread several people (myself included) are 'doing their nut' because of the various failings of Bachmann's new model.

The main cause of those failings? Bachmann's refusal on grounds of "cost and complexity" to retool the Hall chassis block.

Meanwhile Hornby have evidently retooled their 42xx chassis block and have done so without telling anyone and in response to no particular clamour from their customers!!! The complaints I have read about the eight coupled tanks have usually been about cosmetic issues rather than the chassis.....

Getting back 'on topic', I would be grateful if anyone has any experience either positive or negative of 'British Monarch'. 

Andy.

Oh dear, well thats that then, l was hoping the odd survivor may have worked west on summer saturdays  during the mid 1950s, but l guess not.

Well gents many thanks for your input

Bob.C

4/8/56  4056 worked the 07:30 Penzance - Liverpool from Plymouth to Bristol. Assisted Plymouth to Newton Abbot by 4950 Patshull Hall. 14 coach train with a mix of GW, LMS and Mk 1 stock. It must also have worked down to Plymouth, I assume, the previous day.

Mike Wiltshire