Β 

Shortline Track Photos (Black River & Western - Ringos, New Jersey

Great photos Pete. I guess some kind of casting is essential for the first ones but the New Hope and Ivyland would be ok to build yourself.

Don

Β 

To be honest I'm concerned about the scalability to 3.5mm to 1 foot of the castings - I'd be more comfortable with the former Reading type pointwork, as you suggest.

Β 

Best, Pete.

I ought to get some, as they are increasingly common in the sort of set up I'm trying to model... but they just look so odd I can't quite manage it

Β 

I have one switch on the module that should probably be one of those, it's a Peco #5 insulfrog at Alpha so hopefully I can do 'in situ' mods to it - the other 3 switches on the module are on 'main track' so I can't really use such a thing there.

I got a reply today, but no extra info. Here's the relevant part below. Looks like we'll have to wait and see.

Β 

Ted

----------------

The self guarding frog is a newly developed product that should be shipping in quantity by late January. That initially will be the HO #6 angle version, in code 83, code 70 and code 55 rail sizes. Other angle versions may come later, if the demand is there. A similar Proto:87 #6 angle version is still in testing, as it is a little more difficult to assemble.

Β 

The HO versions will operate reliably with any mixture of regular RTR code 110 and narrow code 88 wheelsets, and I will update the website to make that clearer. I regret I am legally bound to not disclose the exact way these work at this stage, as I am in the process of filing for a US Patent. But please be assured the theory, as well as the practice, has been thoroughly professionally analyzed, and is completely sound. And that will become clear, once the patent cycle is completed and the method published.

Β 

FYI, at the same time as filming the run through operation of the pre-production versions, I also recorded the underside of several of the same HO cars involved, to show that both code 110 and code 88 wheelsets were in use.

Β 

The two unedited videos are on you tube, as unpublished links:

Β 

Β 

and

Β 

Β 

I hope this limited answer is sufficient for now. More information will be forthcoming in the near future.

To be honest I'm concerned about the scalability to 3.5mm to 1 foot of the castings - I'd be more comfortable with the former Reading type pointwork, as you suggest.

Β 

Best, Pete.

How scalable do you think this would be? http://www.flickr.com/photos/45085819@N02/4481553138/

They can be very dangerous frogs when they get worn. We had some at a streetcar museum that had a wide variety of wheel profiles, some of the wider treads could force the wrong wing rail open with unfortunate consequences. This was always at low speed, but rerailing a 50 ton car with a couple of jacks on either a 90 degree day or in the wind and rain was never much fun.

That flickr picture is of a sprung frog. (Yet another type for this thread). I think only the wing rail on one side is sprung closed, so as to give a smoother traverse on the other side route. I'm not sure what went wrong at the streetcar museum. The standard rules for guard (check) rails working properly would still apply. A correctly maintained guard rail should be able to keep the frog from being "picked", unless the wheels' back to back is set wrong.

Β 

Ted

What went wrong at the streetcar museum was wear and tear on the wing rail components. The running surface of them was worn down by narrow-tread streetcar wheels, leaving a lip. When a wider-tread wheel went through them the tread could contact this lip forcing the other wing rail open and in effect splitting the frog. The next axle through the frog might take the right path, but it might also end up going the wrong side of the crossing, because of compromise settings for guard rails made in an attempt to cope with different types of wheel.

Β 

As Martin Wynne has pointed out, you need consistent wheel standards to go along with the track standards. The railfans wanted to see big stuff like subway cars run on track really intended for streetcars, hence the need for compromises that in some cases could lead to problems depending on how worn things were.

Β 

Still, we had fun putting stuff back on the track and nobody got hurt. The stuff that we knew was likely to derail was never used with the public on board.

How scalable do you think this would be? http://www.flickr.co...N02/4481553138/

They can be very dangerous frogs when they get worn. We had some at a streetcar museum that had a wide variety of wheel profiles, some of the wider treads could force the wrong wing rail open with unfortunate consequences. This was always at low speed, but rerailing a 50 ton car with a couple of jacks on either a 90 degree day or in the wind and rain was never much fun.

Β 

Dear RMWeb Team, Jack,

Β 

Sorry, quicky O/T, but I clicked on the next pic along in the sequence, boom - Proto-nook!!!!

Β 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45085819@N02/4476698292/in/photostream/

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Here are some pix of track.Β  Photobucket has a new format and it keeps crashing my computer so its taken me awhile to get this together.

Here is a Racor switchstand.Β  It is used on industrial trackage.

Racor_zps8a46f96a.jpg

Β 

If you want to order one, here is the stand in the real (circa 1980) track parts catalog:

img011.jpg

Β 

These are the points lined by this switchstand:

Points_zpsf0d7fe6e.jpg

Β 

A lot going on in this picture.Β  Its on a track where trains are regularly given air tests or mechanical dept. employees work.Β  There is a folding blue flag and derail to protect the employees.

Blueflag_zps7403d01b.jpg

Β 

The previous examples of selfguarded are cast, here is a fabricated version:

SGFrog_zpsb9f21d3a.jpg

Β 

Another low target switchstand.

lowStand_zps40ba5ac3.jpg

Β 

A high target switchstand:

HighStand_zps54dd3de7.jpg

Β 

If you want to order this switch sand, here's the ctalog page:

img013.jpg

Β 

Somebody asked for pictures of guardrails, here's one:

Guardrails_zps2e56a32e.jpg

Β 

Here are two options for stopping things, Wheel stops:

Stops_zpsa536c83d.jpg

Β 

And a closeup of a derail:

Derail_zps11cfc3ac.jpg

No, Jack, I allowed my membership to lapse, alas. I've seen everything and there is a few, on You Tube.

Β 

From an operational point of view Three Rivers and it's interchange with the NS is more interesting than Ringoes (named after John Ringo, btw).

Β 

Best, Pete.

• 8 months later...

Archived