Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

QHo2oFN.pngWHVEoRy.png

The motor's universal joint needs a version 2, but I managed to reach a milestone in my 3D printed chassis project, getting the motor to freely spin the geartrain upon the axles. The bogie is a two part unit that is held together by friction on the 1mm round bar in the front, back, and can be kept doubly in position by a vertical bar in the middle where the left hand pickups will anchor to. Idea is keep everything easily disassemblable, should the soft resin break or age poorly. 

Will use association rims, pinpoint axles and top hats, (The mating faces of the two bogie prints filed back until the axles sit exactly in the bearings.)
The worm, 3x2mm bushings and the 6400rpm planetary motor are cheapo ones from aliexpress.
The gears are printed too!

Cheers, Tom

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not specifically 2mm but I just finished a very simple handheld controller for my DCC-EX system.

The idea for this was born a few years ago after a discussion on the 2mm VAG about DCC controllers looking like tv remotes and why there was not a simple controller just to run locos on a small layout.

I started it then but abandoned the idea because what I made also started to look like a remote control, simply because I needed a keypad to enter the loco address.

But earlier this year it occurred to me that I could use another method to select the loco.

This is the result:

IMG_5714.jpeg.ee834e386da5aed5069da4b03c6bd14f.jpeg

It is built around an Arduino Nano Every which is connected to the main system with a 3 wire lead.

I wanted to build it with the tools I have so I made the housing and buttons on my 3D printer. Symbols on the buttons are not perfect but I’m actually quite pleased with what my filament printer produced.

The controller has it limitations:

2 digit loco address (actually 0-127)

light on/off

sound mute (short press) and sound on/off (long press)

brake function

whistle

I also added a 4 position recall function to easily select recent locos.

When S is pressed the potentiometer is used to select the loco address. It has a range of 0-127, when the loco number is displayed C is pressed and the potentiometer reading becomes the loco address.

A 2 sec pause is added to give time to turn the knob to 0 before normal running mode starts again.

This is all I need to run my small layout.

Until now I used an old smartphone to run the layout but I wanted a simple knob and direction switch so I don’t have to look at the controller to change direction for example.

I also wanted a wired controller for reliability if I ever want to take my layout to an exhibition. I have no idea what would happen with the DCC-EX wifi to phone connection in an environment with lots of wireless systems.

The sound functions are added with the Zimo immersive drive in the back of my head where the potentiometer is used as ‘regulator’ and the brake is needed to slow the loco down.

I will look into the Zimo decoders, now I have a simple MRC sounder layout sound decoder but muting the chuff sound is quite abrupt and not realistic. Maybe I can use a Zimo sound decoder for layout sound and use non-sound decoders in the locos?

And this is what is inside:

IMG_5718.jpeg.c02ac3939d123afae49c57bbc6ab6277.jpeg

Jan

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jan W said:

Not specifically 2mm but I just finished a very simple handheld controller for my DCC-EX system.

The idea for this was born a few years ago after a discussion on the 2mm VAG about DCC controllers looking like tv remotes and why there was not a simple controller just to run locos on a small layout.

I started it then but abandoned the idea because what I made also started to look like a remote control, simply because I needed a keypad to enter the loco address.

But earlier this year it occurred to me that I could use another method to select the loco.

This is the result:

IMG_5714.jpeg.ee834e386da5aed5069da4b03c6bd14f.jpeg

It is built around an Arduino Nano Every which is connected to the main system with a 3 wire lead.

I wanted to build it with the tools I have so I made the housing and buttons on my 3D printer. Symbols on the buttons are not perfect but I’m actually quite pleased with what my filament printer produced.

The controller has it limitations:

2 digit loco address (actually 0-127)

light on/off

sound mute (short press) and sound on/off (long press)

brake function

whistle

I also added a 4 position recall function to easily select recent locos.

When S is pressed the potentiometer is used to select the loco address. It has a range of 0-127, when the loco number is displayed C is pressed and the potentiometer reading becomes the loco address.

A 2 sec pause is added to give time to turn the knob to 0 before normal running mode starts again.

This is all I need to run my small layout.

Until now I used an old smartphone to run the layout but I wanted a simple knob and direction switch so I don’t have to look at the controller to change direction for example.

I also wanted a wired controller for reliability if I ever want to take my layout to an exhibition. I have no idea what would happen with the DCC-EX wifi to phone connection in an environment with lots of wireless systems.

The sound functions are added with the Zimo immersive drive in the back of my head where the potentiometer is used as ‘regulator’ and the brake is needed to slow the loco down.

I will look into the Zimo decoders, now I have a simple MRC sounder layout sound decoder but muting the chuff sound is quite abrupt and not realistic. Maybe I can use a Zimo sound decoder for layout sound and use non-sound decoders in the locos?

And this is what is inside:

IMG_5718.jpeg.c02ac3939d123afae49c57bbc6ab6277.jpeg

Jan

Nice job Jan. I had got halfway through my attempt using a promicro when I had to move for health reasons and haven't found the time to resume work on it yet. But I am going to build a WiFi one. I currently have a commercial one which runs with the DCCEX.

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...