Β 

Kato finally announce N scale METRA F40PH units

Whilst on one of my regular visits to the Kato website , they've announced that they are finally producing METRA F40PH units in N scale , apparently with ditch lights fitted as well - hopefully they'll be tooled up with the correct head and tail lights as well.

Β 

delivery is quoted for Feb 2013.

The ditch lights have been fitted to the recent Amtrak release, so we may just get that in a new livery.

Β 

Adrian

Β 

As they went to the trouble of re-tooling the MP36 to reflect the build variants between a METRA and VRE unit, we can but hope that the F40PH gets similar attention.

Β 

Also of interest is a tie-in with Faller to produce a North American Commuter Station kit (Kato item 31-650) based on Schaumberg (Home of Kato USA).

As they went to the trouble of re-tooling the MP36 to reflect the build variants between a METRA and VRE unit, we can but hope that the F40PH gets similar attention.

Β 

Also of interest is a tie-in with Faller to produce a North American Commuter Station kit (Kato item 31-650) based on Schaumberg (Home of Kato USA).

Β 

The MP36 was new tooling, so they probably designed the tooling to alow for the changes (I hope they designed it to allow for the production of an MP40).

Β 

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I couldn't resist the Metra 4-unit set with the MP36H - busy thinking of a Chicago-based mini-module now.

You arent the only one either.

Β 

That Metra F40PH also looks good.

Β 

Not sure what I will use them on but the MP36H does get used on Santa Barbara occasionally - its on its way from somewhere on the West Coast back to Chicago is my excuse!!

• RMweb Gold

I shot these Metra units through the coach window of another Metra train, so apologies for the poor quality, but hopefully of interest:

Β 

post-6720-0-91867700-1359301433.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-04066500-1359301455.jpg

Β 

This was a week ago on the UP west line out of the Ogilvie Transportation Centre, somewhere between Ogilvie and Elmhurst, which is about 30 mins out of Chicago.

Β 

I also caught a bit of UP action, with a couple of AC4400s parked near Elmhurst:

Β 

post-6720-0-60209800-1359302018.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-93013300-1359302034.jpg

Β 

As well as this MP15AC:

Β 

post-6720-0-41261900-1359302054.jpg

Β 

At Elmhust itself, I caught an intermodal train gathering speed slowly through the town:

Β 

post-6720-0-81456300-1359302319.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-95392800-1359302340.jpg

Β 

This was followed immediately by a coal train with an ex Southern Pacific unit in the lash-up (bidirectional running) but by then my fingers were dropping off from the cold and I retired to the nearest Subway for some sustenance. Elmhurst itself contains a nice general hobby shop, only a very short stroll from the station:

Β 

http://store.alshobbyshop.com/

Β 

Very friendly store with a reasonable selection of HO and a small number of N items. On a less chilly day it would be great to spend a few hours at the Elmhurst station since there appears to be a lot of freight action, as well as Metra units. In the shop they even had a computer monitor showing a schematic of the live UP traffic flow in the area.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• RMweb Gold

I have a few green tinted shots like that!.

Elmhurst is a nice spot on a warm sunny day.you will get quite a few inquisitive but friendly passers by and passengers
On our last visit a mother brought her young kids to the station to watch the trains.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have a few green tinted shots like that!.

Β 

Elmhurst is a nice spot on a warm sunny day.you will get quite a few inquisitive but friebfly passers by and passengrrs

On our kast visit a mother brought her young kids to the station to watch the trains.

Β 

Ian

Β 

There was one total nutcase wandering around the station, shouting at the Metra guy "You're fat and lazy! You're a government employee and you're fat and lazy!" Gradually everyone moved out into the cold to avoid the possibly psychopathic nutter.

Β 

Other than that Elmhurst struck me as a very pleasant place, could imagine it being delightful on a nice day.

Β 

Another good place to visit is the Grayland Station shop in Edgebrook on the Milkwaukee line:

Β 

http://www.graylandstation.com/

Β 

I didn't manage to get out there on this trip but again it is very easy to get to by train. Sharp contrast to Detroit, where I had been earlier in the week, and which has no public transportation system to speak of. There was a great looking hobby shop that I wanted to visit but without a rental car it was out of the question.

Archived