Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

17 hours ago, steve fay said:

An experimentation with Foam board this afternoon,  I fancied having a go so I’m using Dainton tunnel mouth as my inspiration.  Still a long way to go and I’ve got a sore thumb! But I’m enjoying it.

1FF6159F-A4F8-491A-BFB2-6C68891FACE9.jpeg

A28668AA-1396-417D-A36D-FD65DF5C3F51.jpeg

Nice work Stephen, I've done similar with Foamalux® (exterior quality foamboard), it works well and is fairly therapeutic too😊👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

How much of the inside are you planning to do? :)

I will get another sheet to do some of the inside, at the moment I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it,  I bought a few sheets just to have a go,  I’ll get a can of primer next week and start painting it.  Coping stones are glued on, I laminated some plasticard together in strips and cut it into sections.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Monday Funday! Dainton Tunnel mouth after lots of paint washes, wafts and dry brushing.  The weather has been perfect for painting today. 
Norton St Somer has arrived at my house and I’ve wasted no time in making a start,  my dad had painted the buildings green and cream but for the late 50’s early 60’s this should be firmly in WR territory so I’ve had the instructions from Paddington and the cream is being liberally applied to everything except the goods shed which by our time had been sold on to help stem the mounting losses to a local coal merchant and is still in southern green, local goods now being dealt with at Mid Somer Norton .

679B86AE-0DFB-4ED5-B034-BDDFC660E3AD.png

• Like 5

I stripped everything off Norton St Somers today to apply the first base layer of sand, not much point in taking pictures as it looks like a beach, another tunnel mouth project underway this time utilising a kit from Richard Ellis at Monks Gate Models, my only addition was to add the stone course out of foam board instead of the supplied timber so I could get some extra definition on it.  I’ve got to add the raised brick courses yet and they are currently in paint.  Better pics in daylight hopefully tomorrow.

31B03663-CBBF-4F02-931A-FCC425DF43D6.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Day two on the scenics for NSS, my dad had Painted everything in the preserved colours that Midsomers is currently painted in but I decided to change it to post 1958 so we have a mix of chocolate and cream and southern green.  The goods shed will stay green and I’ve got the stone work to do yet. I’ll leave warning signs etc in green as well. Whilst Creechly could have been anywhere on the southern I want this one to be very S&D. I’ll add some 3D printed WR LOC boxes as well.  I’ve seen a picture of an S&D water crane in chocolate and cream so I’ve done the same. 
We’ve got some autumnal trees coming plus some pumpkins for the greenhouse plus hanging baskets for the signal box.  Large trees temporarily in place until the EZ line wire arrives as I ran out after the first run was linked up earlier.

8B8306D0-CE39-42CA-ABAB-93B0346DACEF.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The last of the fencing reinstalled today plus hanging baskets and more flowers, trees removed for fitment of the telegraph wires and I’ve run out again, Thankfully Amazon prime to the rescue and more will be here tomorrow, ferns have sprouted up as well as the station lamps. I’ve dry brushed the goods shed and station black and brown and I can start to add the grey washes tomorrow. 
Pumpkins growing in the greenhouse. The list of jobs is diminishing by the day but I’ve got to paint the fascia add some stone borders around some of the gardens and finish painting the buildings mainly the roofs and weathering everything that needs it and add the station signage which is On route from Sankey Scenics.

59DE725F-CEAA-4A11-B663-1A636FF34F0E.jpeg

B4D3E21B-B35A-46D0-91E1-06F62573B351.jpeg

81FD1F38-8F38-4C21-B8A4-ED536232D8DF.jpeg

AA6AA800-5CF1-4D8F-B4A2-B57785E15772.jpeg

• Like 10

Station signage plus advertising added from Sankey scenics 

I’ll add the flashing around the base of the chimney pots when my Tamya masking tape arrives. 
most of my projects are made to order but this one is available to anyone interested. 

2E9FEFD4-64B0-4768-A3FE-1A090922AD89.png

• Like 9

I’ve had this little Dapol pannier tucked away for some time now, 7714 with sound.  It’s destined for Cardiff Canton so I thought I’d choose a local loco 7724 of Pontypool Road shed 86G, however she was a top feed fitted loco and had different tank fillers to the ones fitted.  Warren Shephard castings added along with new steam, vac pipes, smoke box door dart and steam lance cock. Next job is to bend some wire for the top feed pipe then prime it and spray Halfords satin black.  
Another little detail added at Norton Saint Somers again taking inspiration from Midsomers a nice set of fire buckets ( I’ll add real sand ) and finally some superb 3D printed bits for Marches Road coal stage which I hope to get back to next week.

BF135F86-F116-4ED4-9B0E-EB9543E32491.jpeg

461619E5-729E-4802-B17F-A2A2C399721B.png

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, steve fay said:

I’ve had this little Dapol pannier tucked away for some time now, 7714 with sound.  It’s destined for Cardiff Canton so I thought I’d choose a local loco 7724 of Pontypool Road shed 86G, however she was a top feed fitted loco and had different tank fillers to the ones fitted.  Warren Shephard castings added along with new steam, vac pipes, smoke box door dart and steam lance cock. Next job is to bend some wire for the top feed pipe then prime it and spray Halfords satin black.  
Another little detail added at Norton Saint Somers again taking inspiration from Midsomers a nice set of fire buckets ( I’ll add real sand ) and finally some superb 3D printed bits for Marches Road coal stage which I hope to get back to next week.

BF135F86-F116-4ED4-9B0E-EB9543E32491.jpeg

Very nice coal tubs. Are they a commercial item or your own design?

I could do with some for Hinton Road! I’m just drawing some up myself but they won’t be as good as those 3D printed ones.

The signalman and station porter arrived today from ModelU they are heading to Dan Evason for paint.  The bag has been added to the water crane, it’s 5mm heat shrink tube and finally the Fontleroys luggage has grown,  how much can two people need ? 

C60B2B90-1194-4F5C-B3DB-F232FB082391.png

DAA3CF97-B296-4945-80AC-58848160891C.jpeg

E3D331B0-574F-4181-8AA6-DDCBB91D1E68.jpeg

B0F89B67-D133-4338-BC14-593209C69042.jpeg

CE604368-8F9A-4B98-AD4D-E9610A4F42EF.jpeg

• Like 9