Wigan 2009

Andy Y

Thoroughly enjoyed Wigan again this year. Went on both days too. Every bit as good as last year, which has really taken some doing. The standard is now very high indeed.

My pictures of some of the layouts are here (also some taken at Warley).

http://david-moore.fotopic.net/c1792183.html

Thanks to the organisers for a really good show.

David Moore

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed Wigan again this year. Went on both days too. Every bit as good as last year, which has really taken some doing. The standard is now very high indeed.

My pictures of some of the layouts are here (also some taken at Warley).

http://david-moore.fotopic.net/c1792183.html

Thanks to the organisers for a really good show.

David Moore

and thanks to the LNWR soc for filling a void ;)

Guest Max Stafford

And they filled it well, that was one of my favourite exhibits! Both LNW layouts were nice actually! That was the rather special thing about Wigan this year - the layouts that got the most of my attention were of scales and subject matter I wouldn't normally pay a great deal of attention to. I put this down to quality of running and the successful blending of models and scenic backdrop. :)

Dave.

For further clarification there are only 9 people who are in the group, but the pre-exhibition organisation is completed by just five. There is a financial risk and this has to be minimised by some very careful budgeting and forecasting. We certainly risk more than the Sports and Arena Centre, the Britannia Hotel and the traders within the Hall whilst giving these people and organisations an opportunity to make a profit. We have become used to visitors telling us what a great show it is at the same time as demanding a seniors discount, of traders needing their own individual door with associated parking, of hotels being unable to provide an efficent service and there are certainly times when you have to bite your tongue. I was waylaid by a gentleman who told me in no uncertain terms that we should be giving a discount of to OAP's, the disabled, students and the unemployed. He thought ??5 on the door would be about right. So without any idea of the cost invoved he was able to arrive at this reasonable figure. When I explained that all this would mean was that every other adult would have to pay ??10, he reckoned I had got it wrong again, what he was saying was that he should pay ??5 and every one else ??8. When I asked where would all those missing ??3's come from he didn't seem to think that was much of a problem. Well of course it wouldn't be for him but it certainly would be for us nine.

It is a fact of life that quality costs and if you are to bring layouts to Wigan from all over the country, as we wish to do, then the admission has to reflect that cost. As an example we used every one of the 115 rooms in the Britannia and had to over spill into to two other Hotels. There was a costly bill to be paid, requiring payment before the show ended. Of course the real cost on the door is subsidised by our sponsors and reduces the cost by at least ??2 a ticket.

As regards comments concerning the Coffee Shop and sandwiches I wonder if the gentleman was aware that the recently refurbished Cafe Life ( formerly the Champions Bar) had a hot food menu. If not then perhaps we need to look at our signage.

I would be pleased to hear any comments, either negative or positive from any of the layouts who attended over the weekend as we certainly wish to continually improve your experience of The Wigan Exhibition, as without you there is no show.

Good to read that post above - I think many folk do not realise how hard it is to successfully organise an exhibition, how close the margins are and how easy it is for one niggling minor detail to ruin all that hard work. The Wigan team can only be congratulated IMHO. :icon_thumbsup2: :icon_clap:

Travelled nearly 250 miles to visit - well satisfied - will be back next year for certain :D

Good to read that post above - I think many folk do not realise how hard it is to successfully organise an exhibition, how close the margins are and how easy it is for one niggling minor detail to ruin all that hard work. The Wigan team can only be congratulated IMHO. :icon_thumbsup2: :icon_clap:

Travelled nearly 250 miles to visit - well satisfied - will be back next year for certain :D

Thanks for the kind comments. It is difficult and at times very frustrating. Our Hotel gave us all the problems we could handle and certainly took the edge off an enjoyable weekend. Considering the business we gave them they were simply unbelievable. There will certainly be an exchange of letters with Head Office!

I hope visitors appreciated the quality of the layouts as this is really our mission, to bring the quality in the hobby to Wigan.

I really don??™t think that many people know the hard work that goes into organizing a large show and the financial burden it puts on the organizing club. Getting the balance and knowing how much to charge for admission also is a part of the calculations, we are abolishing the senior rate at Railex next year although the senior rate is remaining at ??6.50 the same it has been for the last six years, plus we offer an advance discount postal rate for advance bookings. Although we have around forty members in our club its really only half a dozen of us who have direct organization of Railex throughout the year.

It was weird as on Tuesday night I bumped into the manager of Stoke Mandeville Stadium in the local pub, and it was really nice to sit down and chat about Railex in an informal way, it turns out the stadium really like what we do and we are a major event in their calendar, they also think that our club is much better organized than many of the professional outfits they deal with, in fact they admitted they have used some of our contract appendix on their other clients!

Anyway as the chaps at Wigan and Manchester will know how important it is to put on a good show, and keep promotion and websites up to date throughout the year, it does amaze me that some shows do not seem to grasp this, as has been shown with the St. Albans show which is on in less than a month yet no details on the website of layouts or any other major promotion.

David

Well aren't we pleased that the Exhibition wasn't this weekend. It's a bit deep and crisp and even up here in Wigan, with more of the white stuff expected overnight. Another factor added to the risk that you can't anticipate, the British weather.

As regards comments concerning the Coffee Shop and sandwiches I wonder if the gentleman was aware that the recently refurbished Cafe Life ( formerly the Champions Bar) had a hot food menu. If not then perhaps we need to look at our signage.

Sadly the choice and service in the "Cafe Life" was pretty dismal. No complaints about the bacon sandwiches first thing, but by lunch time it was long queues, slow service, and tables piled high with rubbish as nobody was clearing.....

The menu was a choice between a sandwich and a pie, but no forks were available to tackle the pie....... Although, this is Wigan, so perhaps I should have looked for a kebab skewer instead. smile.gif

I know this is the venues responsibility, but maybe it could be improved a bit......

Ahh !! the famous Wigan kebab - ten meat & potato pies on a broom-stick !!

For a cheap, quick value for money meal try the cafe in Asda - 5 minute walk from the exhibition hall, or just call in for their own pies - baked in store and sold (by the barrowload !!) just inside the main entrance - no need to get lost inside the huge place.

Took my kids to the same hall this morning for tennis lessons - by god it was cold in there. (kids OK as they're running around !!). Glad the exhibition was not this week or there would be a few complaints re this.

Other than that the venue is fine, many thanks to the organisers - you do a magnificent job at Wigan every year.

Brit15

Sadly the choice and service in the "Cafe Life" was pretty dismal. No complaints about the bacon sandwiches first thing, but by lunch time it was long queues, slow service, and tables piled high with rubbish as nobody was clearing.....

The menu was a choice between a sandwich and a pie, but no forks were available to tackle the pie....... Although, this is Wigan, so perhaps I should have looked for a kebab skewer instead. smile.gif

I know this is the venues responsibility, but maybe it could be improved a bit......

We have had problems in the past but I thought this year was an improvement, but obviously not so. Did you encounter problems on the Saturday or was it the same on both days? I will certainly pass on your post to the Centre when we meet with them in the New Year.

We have had problems in the past but I thought this year was an improvement, but obviously not so.....

There may well have been an improvement on previous year(s), but it may not have been enough to meet the expectations of the customers.

Having dealt with Catering Suppliers in the past for major functions and their lack of meeting the expectations of clients, I really do wish you the best of luck in your meeting(s) and especially the outcome for next year and beyond.

On the assumption the venue is connected to the Local Authority, CCT (Compulsory Competitive Tendering) has a lot to answer for.

Penlan

I'd always thought that there wasnt much 'outside' catering on the Wigan site, without moving your car and thereby losing your parking space, but this year we found a pub less than 10 min away and with a decent '2 for 1' food menu:

Red Robin

There is a map, but basically it's out of the hall, left after a minute or two then straight on past Frankie and Benny's

• RMweb Gold

I'd always thought that there wasnt much 'outside' catering on the Wigan site, without moving your car and thereby losing your parking space, but this year we found a pub less than 10 min away and with a decent '2 for 1' food menu:

Red Robin

There is a map, but basically it's out of the hall, left after a minute or two then straight on past Frankie and Benny's

There is also a Boots 5 minutes away, and they had their ??2.99 meal deals which were very nice indeed if a sandwich / yoghurt / drink combination was OK for your needs - sadly I couldn't find any pie flavoured butties :angry: :lol:

There may well have been an improvement on previous year(s), but it may not have been enough to meet the expectations of the customers.

Having dealt with Catering Suppliers in the past for major functions and their lack of meeting the expectations of clients, I really do wish you the best of luck in your meeting(s) and especially the outcome for next year and beyond.

On the assumption the venue is connected to the Local Authority, CCT (Compulsory Competitive Tendering) has a lot to answer for.

Penlan

Although I am not offering this as an excuse, part of the Saturday Dinnertime problem, if indeed it was just confined to Saturday, may have been the fact that Saturday was unusually busy compared to Sunday. 30% more visitors on Saturday than Sunday. They may have just been taken by suprise and got snowed under. If I was a visitor I think I would consider a Sunday visit, less pressure on Catering and Car Parking.

I would welcome comments from anyone who used the catering facilities on Sunday. As another poster has mentioned the Red Robin Pub there is also directly opposite a Pizza Hut which might be more suitable for visitors with young children. My granddaughter is a great fan of their Ice Cream Factory.

We have had problems in the past but I thought this year was an improvement, but obviously not so. Did you encounter problems on the Saturday or was it the same on both days? I will certainly pass on your post to the Centre when we meet with them in the New Year.

My visit was on the Sunday..... Wasn't at the show Sat so don't know if the problem occurred both days....

Unfortunately catering often seems to be a problem with this type of venue.... Several other excellent exhibitions suffer from dodgy "leisure centre" type catering......

Problem is, these places are often the only suitable venues, so that's it........

My visit was on the Sunday..... Wasn't at the show Sat so don't know if the problem occurred both days....

Unfortunately catering often seems to be a problem with this type of venue.... Several other excellent exhibitions suffer from dodgy "leisure centre" type catering......

Problem is, these places are often the only suitable venues, so that's it........

As you say it is a Sports Centre and is not really geared up to cater for the numbers we bring in without some rethinking outside their normal box. If it appears that people are going outside for lunch, to the Red Robin, Asda or Pizza Hut and they realise they are loosing money then perhaps they will step up a gear and employ more staff and speed up the service. We will certainly be bringing these postings to their attention.

• 2 weeks later...

With Wigan 2009 now over we can start to think about 2010 and again there will be 40 quality layouts. Those confirmed are:-

ABERDARE 00 Taff Vale 1922 by the Cardiff 4mm Group

AIRTHERY PARK 00 BR(SC) 1993 by Stirling & Clackmannon DMRC

ALLOA 00 BR(Sc) 1955/1960 by the Scottish Region Study Group

APELTHORN JUNCTION 0 BR(M)1970/1975 by Keith Harrison

BERGELLER BAHN HoM 1980/90 by John Laister

BLAKENEY EM BR(exGE) 1950/60 BRM 2009 Award Winner by Geoff Kent

BUXTON MPD 00 1990/94 by Paul Saunders

CLAYDON N BR(W) 1959/62 by David Westwood

COLNRADE 0 DB Germany 1961/62 by Peter Smith

CORNWILLIS ROAD EM GWR 1930/33 by David Barker

DARRY ROAD 0 BR(Sc) 1967/70 by Ian Atkinson

DONEGAL Ng Eire 1948/52 by Geoffrey Alan Gee

EATON GOMERY 00 Cambrian / GWR 1908 by Peter Thomas

FFRIDDOEDD BRANCH 00 GWR 1930 by Wyn Platt

GALA WATER N BR(Sc) 1958/68 by East Kilbride MRC

GIFFORD STREET 0 BR 1960/65 by John Emerson

GLENROTHES NORTH JUNCTION N 1990/92 Fife Area of Scotland by Martin Leece

GRANGE-over-SANDS N 1980/95 Modern Image in Cumbria by Blackburn & East Lancs MRS

HALIFAX KINGS CROSS P4 BR(E) by West Riding 18.83 Group

HAZEL VALLEY 00 BR(LM) by Hazel Grove & District MRS

More to follow!!!

With Wigan 2009 now over we can start to think about 2010 and again there will be 40 quality layouts. Those confirmed are:-

ABERDARE 00 Taff Vale 1922 by the Cardiff 4mm Group

AIRTHERY PARK 00 BR(SC) 1993 by Stirling & Clackmannon DMRC

ALLOA 00 BR(Sc) 1955/1960 by the Scottish Region Study Group

APELTHORN JUNCTION 0 BR(M)1970/1975 by Keith Harrison

BERGELLER BAHN HoM 1980/90 by John Laister

BLAKENEY EM BR(exGE) 1950/60 BRM 2009 Award Winner by Geoff Kent

BUXTON MPD 00 1990/94 by Paul Saunders

CLAYDON N BR(W) 1959/62 by David Westwood

COLNRADE 0 DB Germany 1961/62 by Peter Smith

CORNWILLIS ROAD EM GWR 1930/33 by David Barker

DARRY ROAD 0 BR(Sc) 1967/70 by Ian Atkinson

DONEGAL Ng Eire 1948/52 by Geoffrey Alan Gee

EATON GOMERY 00 Cambrian / GWR 1908 by Peter Thomas

FFRIDDOEDD BRANCH 00 GWR 1930 by Wyn Platt

GALA WATER N BR(Sc) 1958/68 by East Kilbride MRC

GIFFORD STREET 0 BR 1960/65 by John Emerson

GLENROTHES NORTH JUNCTION N 1990/92 Fife Area of Scotland by Martin Leece

GRANGE-over-SANDS N 1980/95 Modern Image in Cumbria by Blackburn & East Lancs MRS

HALIFAX KINGS CROSS P4 BR(E) by West Riding 18.83 Group

HAZEL VALLEY 00 BR(LM) by Hazel Grove & District MRS

More to follow!!!

And they Are:-

LAROCHELLE HO New York State USA 1950's by Ian Rankin

MARKET ROUNDHAM 00 BR(E) 1950/59 by Gary Atkinson

MIDHURST 00 SR 1930/39 by Tony Bates

MINI-MSW 2FS The Woodhead Line 1980/81 by Alan Whitehouse

MUNROW HO USA Logging Yard 1950/55 by Nick Easton

NIDDBECK BRIDGE 2FS BR(E) 1958/65 by Edward Sissling

OULTON MPD 00 Modern Image Midland Area 1985/95 by Allan Cromarty

PEFFERMILL EM BR(Sc) Edinburgh Area 1960/65 by Brian Sunman

PORT WILLIAM N Modern Image Scottish Branch 1970/80 by Glossop & Dist. MRC

RAVENSCROFT SIDINGS P4 BR(E) Sectorisation 1988/90 by Simon Bendell

STODMARSH 0 KESR 1920/24 by Kevin Cartwright

THORNBURY HILL 00 BR(S) 1948/58 by Robert J Duffy

UPSON DOWNS 0 SR 1946/47 by George Woolnough

VALLEYFIELDS EM LNWR North Wales Branch 1923/25 by Tony Gee

WIVELISCOMBE 00 BR(W) 1948/56 by Tony Hiscock

WIBDENSHAW EM Modern Image West Yorks. 1975/77 by Kier Hardy

WOULDHAM TOWN 00 BR(W) 1958/64 by Cobdown MRC

WREXHAM HIGHTOWN 0 BR(LM exLNWR) Engine Shed 1955/65 by Arthur McGee

There are two more layouts whose details I have yet to recieve and I will post these as they become available.

And they Are:-

LAROCHELLE HO New York State USA 1950's by Ian Rankin

MARKET ROUNDHAM 00 BR(E) 1950/59 by Gary Atkinson

MIDHURST 00 SR 1930/39 by Tony Bates

MINI-MSW 2FS The Woodhead Line 1980/81 by Alan Whitehouse

MUNROW HO USA Logging Yard 1950/55 by Nick Easton

NIDDBECK BRIDGE 2FS BR(E) 1958/65 by Edward Sissling

OULTON MPD 00 Modern Image Midland Area 1985/95 by Allan Cromarty

PEFFERMILL EM BR(Sc) Edinburgh Area 1960/65 by Brian Sunman

PORT WILLIAM N Modern Image Scottish Branch 1970/80 by Glossop & Dist. MRC

RAVENSCROFT SIDINGS P4 BR(E) Sectorisation 1988/90 by Simon Bendell

STODMARSH 0 KESR 1920/24 by Kevin Cartwright

THORNBURY HILL 00 BR(S) 1948/58 by Robert J Duffy

UPSON DOWNS 0 SR 1946/47 by George Woolnough

VALLEYFIELDS EM LNWR North Wales Branch 1923/25 by Tony Gee

WIVELISCOMBE 00 BR(W) 1948/56 by Tony Hiscock

WIBDENSHAW EM Modern Image West Yorks. 1975/77 by Kier Hardy

WOULDHAM TOWN 00 BR(W) 1958/64 by Cobdown MRC

WREXHAM HIGHTOWN 0 BR(LM exLNWR) Engine Shed 1955/65 by Arthur McGee

There are two more layouts whose details I have yet to recieve and I will post these as they become available.

One of the two missing layouts is Andrew Ullyott's 'Wheal Elizabeth' which is as it's name suggests a Modern Image China Clay based layout which will feature in the February issue of the Railway Modeller. The remaining missing layout may be provided by Dr. Mike Watts but as yet I do not know the layouts name.

Next year there will also be some rejigging of the trade as new traders join us. By the end of the month we should have updated our website www.wiganfrm.org.uk with the 2010 Exhibition Updates.

Archived