Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I haven't posted an update, as I've mainly been waiting for microstrip, and then doing a lot of painting in preparation.

So here's what I've been painting:

post-17302-0-15069100-1389315902_thumb.jpg

Lots of 20thou x 80thou strip for window frames, which I've begun to cut to size,

post-17302-0-72210300-1389315904_thumb.jpg

to build these:

post-17302-0-07294000-1389315907_thumb.jpg

Once the frames were glued, I started to cut out the strip which makes up the windows.

I'm using 10thou x 40thou for the windows themselves.

post-17302-0-27267500-1389315909_thumb.jpg

Various lengths were layered up to give the impression of upper and lower sash windows.

post-17302-0-87848600-1389315911_thumb.jpg

and here's the first two in the building:

post-17302-0-07436100-1389315914_thumb.jpg

and the rest:

post-17302-0-20398000-1389315916_thumb.jpg

From the inside, they need a bit of tidying up:

post-17302-0-07664300-1389315918_thumb.jpg

but they don't look too bad.

I've tried using some food packaging plastic for the windows - it's ok for the toilets, but it isn't really clear enough for the main windows, I don't think.

post-17302-0-65944800-1389315920_thumb.jpg

I'll have to see what else I've got.

That's all for now, thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice frames. Interesting to see you paint them before assembling then. Does that not lead to poor joints?

Hi Cav,

It probably does, yes, but they hold together enough to form a frame to which the rest of the window is attached, and they aren't load bearing in any way. My painting skills are not good enough that i would feel confident of being able to paint them afterwards without getting it on the white framing.

I use the tiniest amount of MEK possible when joining the white interior framing to the outside painted bit, to try and minimise bleed over of the paint, as well. Once in the window aperture of the building they are fairly robust.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1

Painstaking work, but well worth it!  I have found the best glazing material yet is  pieces cut from round the edge of a laminating sleeve when I've laminated something smaller than the sleeve itself.  It's very clear and very rigid, unlike the pizza box windows I used on the factory which in longer spans are quite floppy.

Its not the sticking to the paint thats the issue its the fact that you are then relying on the paint adhesion to the plastic as your bond. In Als cae there is no load bearing as he says so youd get away with it.I certainly wouldnt stick something onto something which is likely to get knocked at all via a paint finish.

• RMweb Gold

This station building seems to be taking forever - mostly my fault for being sidetracked by the internal details - but the windows are taking their time as well, just fiddly and repetitive, and I haven't had a lot of free time, either.

Anyway, on we go, and as a break from the small windows I've tackled the door and larger windows of the booking hall entrance this evening.

Here's the door being built. I started with a sheet of 10thou plasticard, and added some 10thou x 40thou strip to form the panels of each door.

post-17302-0-50853100-1389487619_thumb.jpg

Then I separated one door, as I want to model it open:

post-17302-0-58481800-1389487621_thumb.jpg

Here it is trial fitted into the building:

post-17302-0-62749700-1389487623_thumb.jpg

Then, I stuck it in my helping hands and painted it:

post-17302-0-87489400-1389487625_thumb.jpg

and here it is now dry, back in the building:

post-17302-0-98007100-1389487627_thumb.jpg

I then moved on to the large windows which flank the door. As with the smaller windows, I made the outer frame and inner frame separately, here is the outer frame,and the bits for making the inner frames:

post-17302-0-93360200-1389487629_thumb.jpg

The inner frames assembled:

post-17302-0-18631700-1389487632_thumb.jpg

and the completed window in the building:

post-17302-0-15466200-1389487636_thumb.jpg

All of them done now:

post-17302-0-32681200-1389487634_thumb.jpg

and a shot with the porch roof added to see how it looks:

post-17302-0-19123900-1389487638_thumb.jpg

compare with a crop of a photo of the prototype:

post-17302-0-86517500-1389487994.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts / Peak Rail Collection.

Hmm, the inner strips on the large windows are too far from the frame - I'll sort that tomorrow :(

Also tomorrow I've three more small windows to complete, and then this side of the building is done.

Thanks for looking:

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 3

Morning Al, I noticed the vertical bars were in the wrong place but I though NO, I couldn't do it so don't be an ARS* and say anything, then I read your next line, hahah

Its not obvious until you compare them together.

Still a brilliant job though and one I for one would NOT consider tackling.

One day when your OLD AND GREY and you have finished all the details you will be able to run your FIRST TRAIN and say I did that, croak croak,      ugh. :O

Bodgit from the Temple of DOOM :no:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, you made me laugh out loud this morning when I read that.

I think this building is contributing to the GREY, if not the OLD!

Still, with a bit of luck I might get a train to run past this within the next 6 months :D

Al.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, you made me laugh out loud this morning when I read that.

I think this building is contributing to the GREY, if not the OLD!

Still, with a bit of luck I might get a train to run past this within the next 6 months :D

Al.

I feel your "pane" Al................... Sorry couldn't resist it. Does that put me in the "frame" for the worst joke of the thread........ Ok I really will stop now. :jester:

Brilliant job on those windows. It really starts to make the out side come alive just like the inside.

I've put a note in my diary for the 11th July to see that train run through Bakewell. :D

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Looks good.  It may have taken you some time and you are probably itching to get onto something else, and if it was me I probably would and come back to this but then I do not have a layout so it does not matter so much, but with the windows that size you certainly need the insides or it would look silly.  As you look through your windows you get the same feel as you do with the picture of the station, except for two things,

1) You're not as blurry

2) You haven't managed to recreate the bloke looking out of the window above the door.  ;)

Apart from that, - brilliant.  You should be proud.

• Like 2

Evening Al. The painstaking work with the windows is well worth it, as I believe the relief gives it that added something. All my window frames are really thin, but look OK from viewing distance. It's when you've got an interior view to the windows when life gets really tricky. Well done indeed

ps - I've finally finished slating my shed roof...

• RMweb Gold

I feel your "pane" Al................... Sorry couldn't resist it. Does that put me in the "frame" for the worst joke of the thread........ Ok I really will stop now. :jester:

Brilliant job on those windows. It really starts to make the out side come alive just like the inside.

I've put a note in my diary for the 11th July to see that train run through Bakewell. :D

Marcus

NOOOO! Stop, I surrender! :scared:

Thanks mate, it does make a big difference, doesn't it.

Oh blimey, I've done it now, I'd better make a note in my diary as well :D

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Al. The painstaking work with the windows is well worth it, as I believe the relief gives it that added something. All my window frames are really thin, but look OK from viewing distance. It's when you've got an interior view to the windows when life gets really tricky. Well done indeed

ps - I've finally finished slating my shed roof...

Cheers Lee.

Ah, yes, roofing... I have that to come...

gulp!

Anyway, now you've finished, you can get on with that viaduct you mentioned :)

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Looks good.  It may have taken you some time and you are probably itching to get onto something else, and if it was me I probably would and come back to this but then I do not have a layout so it does not matter so much, but with the windows that size you certainly need the insides or it would look silly.  As you look through your windows you get the same feel as you do with the picture of the station, except for two things,

1) You're not as blurry

2) You haven't managed to recreate the bloke looking out of the window above the door.  ;)

Apart from that, - brilliant.  You should be proud.

Thanks Chris,

Yes, I'm getting a bit fed up of the windows, now, but I've only one side left to do.

Regarding your points...

1/ I feel quite blurry, now...

2/ Lol! I tried blowing the picture up as far as it would go, and I still am not convinced, but I think it's a lampshade inside the building. If it is, I might re-create it at a later date.

Cheers, mate,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Al

No.... can't find the words to describe my envy at your station.

:D :D :D

Building Envy, that's new...

However, I have loft envy, so it evens out :)

Cheers mate,

Al.

Beautiful work, although I could see only ONE hinge on the door......isn't that dangerous???? :jester:

I was looking at the bits sticking out of the door thinking??? Then saw it in place  :sungum:

Beautiful workmanship. You may be bored of windows, but you got me excited.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jaz.

That side of the building now has all the windows, although I've yet to find anything to glaze them with that I am happy with.

Anyway, here's some cropped photos with the station placed in front of a backscene (well it makes sense, doesn't it?)

EDIT: to add, the first three shots will go nice and big if you click on them...

post-17302-0-56148200-1389566693_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-09582600-1389566698_thumb.jpg

Here it is with the roof on:

post-17302-0-71407900-1389566702_thumb.jpg

And finally, here's an attempt to mimic the prototype shot you've already seen:

post-17302-0-95412100-1389566704_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-56281600-1389566689.jpg

I am really pleased with how it looks.

Just a quick story, my landlord's electrician called in today to look at one of my storage heaters. The model was on my kitchen table where I was working on it, and as soon as he'd seen it he went "Bl**dy Hell! That's Bakewell Station!"

Now, having spent so long on this, I've sort of got to the point where it doesn't really register what the model looks like - I've taken so many photos, and spent so long on the detail bits that the whole building has sort of got lost, somewhere.

It was nice to see it first hand through someone else's eyes, as it were, and to see the impact it made on him.

Anyway, there you go.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 8

Hi Al,

I am admiring your building of Bakewell station. Visited the St Albans show yesterday and the model of Kirkby Longsdale station on the S/C layout had a flickering coal fire inside it. Are you going to do the same with your building?

I am about to start my Bakewell project  (see my blog) but am about 2 years behind. Mind you, I will be starting to put the baseboards up soon as they are being designed  at present before being sent to the timber merchants for cutting. Would be grateful for any advice on how to go about the buildings. Of course I have all the drawings from Bill Hudsons "Bible" Through Limestone Hills.

Looking forward to the next installment on your progress.

Cheers Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

I am admiring your building of Bakewell station. Visited the St Albans show yesterday and the model of Kirkby Longsdale station on the S/C layout had a flickering coal fire inside it. Are you going to do the same with your building?

I am about to start my Bakewell project  (see my blog) but am about 2 years behind. Mind you, I will be starting to put the baseboards up soon as they are being designed  at present before being sent to the timber merchants for cutting. Would be grateful for any advice on how to go about the buildings. Of course I have all the drawings from Bill Hudsons "Bible" Through Limestone Hills.

Looking forward to the next installment on your progress.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, thanks very much indeed. Someone mentioned the Kirkby Longsdale to me earlier in the thread, and the fire is something I was wondering about. I will definitely be lighting the interiors, anyway.

All the best with your layout, and look forward to seeing it progress, do you have a link to your blog?

As regards advice on the buildings, I too used Bill Hudson's plans as a basis on which to work from. I printed them out double size, as they are scaled for 2mm / foot.

I don't know if you're going to scratchbuild - and if so using what material - but hopefully if you look back through this thread it will show you how I did it, which may help you.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything in particular I can help with.

Cheers,

Al.