Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

I WANT THE CAKES,

Evening Al, I have just had a look at your photoshop tutorial, that is amazing, I have seen the results many times, as with Andy Y's pics of Trebudoc but that look just so good mate. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Cheers

The Master Bodger :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Al

Just to say thanks for the "shopping" tutorial. Many talk about it but a blow by blow account takes away some of the mystery for those who are not computer literate and I am sure those who know how will just skip the bits that don't interest them. All in a fine example of how to put together an interesting and informative thread. Keep up the good works :clapping_mini:

Chris

• Like 1

oh LOL, have you seen the post numbers? something has changed C&WR will feel quite put out,

no cakes, definietly no ambulance (I bet I could give them a good seeing to though....ok over a couple of days...cream cakes :sungum: 

ah ummm.... make up... hit my mind first lol......lots of citadel....ah a photo opportunity....

med_gallery_17883_2781_1488300.jpg0490

A mix of citadel Warhammer, and Lord of the Rings. I hope you have elf flesh in there, 

med_gallery_17883_2781_1387901.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

oh LOL, have you seen the post numbers? something has changed C&WR will feel quite put out,

no cakes, definietly no ambulance (I bet I could give them a good seeing to though....ok over a couple of days...cream cakes :sungum:

ah ummm.... make up... hit my mind first lol......lots of citadel....ah a photo opportunity....

A mix of citadel Warhammer, and Lord of the Rings. I hope you have elf flesh in there, 

I'm afraid my model agency gets cross if I eat cakes ;)

Ah, I feel slightly embarrassed now...

My excuse is, erm...

:scratchhead:

Oh yes, I know -

I wasn't counting My first post in the thread!

:sungum:

(Sorry C&WR, you could demand a recount)

:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al,

If you get invaded by Warhammer I will send two of my (adult) sons to help with their combined Warhammer armies.  My Matt gave up because he always won1

Keep up the good work.  Step by step stuff is always better than, 'this is one I did earlier' and when a question is asked it is ignored.  Trust me I have read those threads.  Good modelling but not very helpful.

You mentioned soldering.  There was/is a series in BRM on all you want to know about soldering and probably the first 8 or so articles were quite good butthey have got a bit thin. I am sure that with your practical skills you should be able to solder.  The trick is holding 5 things in your hand at once and not burning yourself.

• Like 1

Great Modelling Al,

anything to do with Bakewell and the Peak Line gets my vote.  The background shot you used looks a bit like a view from Longstone Moor mabe?

Almost had me fooled when I first saw it, was trying to see where me Mums house on Butts Rd was!

A great thread, so will watch out for future posts.....

joe

Edited by tidzaboy

• RMweb Gold

Al,

If you get invaded by Warhammer I will send two of my (adult) sons to help with their combined Warhammer armies.  My Matt gave up because he always won1

Keep up the good work.  Step by step stuff is always better than, 'this is one I did earlier' and when a question is asked it is ignored.  Trust me I have read those threads.  Good modelling but not very helpful.

You mentioned soldering.  There was/is a series in BRM on all you want to know about soldering and probably the first 8 or so articles were quite good butthey have got a bit thin. I am sure that with your practical skills you should be able to solder.  The trick is holding 5 things in your hand at once and not burning yourself.

Cheers Chris,

I'll bear your sons in mind if I need to fight off the ravening hordes...

Thanks, i do try to make my posts useful, without being too boring.

"The trick is holding 5 things in your hand at once and not burning yourself"

And not forgetting to hold the iron in your mouth, when your hands are full?

:D

Al

• RMweb Gold

Great Modelling Al,

anything to do with Bakewell and the Peak Line gets my vote.  The background shot you used looks a bit like a view from Longstone Moor mabe?

Almost had me fooled when I first saw it, was trying to see where me Mums house on Butts Rd was!

A great thread, so will watch out for future posts.....

joe

Cheers Joe, glad you like it.

Spot on with the background, I was taking the Landy up over Longstone Edge and stopped to take some photos.

As i said to Rowsley17D I tried to get a shot over the town, but there's nowhere that I can find that hasn't got trees in the way.

Thanks a lot, and hope you enjoy what's coming up.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

It's alright, Al, I assumed the 500th answer, not 500th post. As I'm built like a prop forward gone to seed rather than a winger I do avoid cake, though*

*So I can drink more reviving rehydrating ale...

Can't argue with that :D

Hi Al,

Another 'thanks' for the Photoshop tutorial - the photo looks great and pix of your layout can only get better as you add the details.

Re the cattle wagons, I've always laboured under the illusion that BR wagon livery required the solebars and buffer beams to be painted black. Typically, solebars were painted body colour in grouping (and pre-grouping) days. And in fact when metal solebars were introduced in the grouping era they were painted black anyway (well at least that was the case on the LNER).

I did a Google images search on 'BR Cattle Wagon' and virtually every pic, model or prototype, has black solebars. As per these examples:

post-16151-0-78650700-1379108040.pngpost-16151-0-41094000-1379108072.png

At least this might set you off doing your own research - and an easy enough thing to put right if you agree with me.

(always be wary of vehicles painted in the preservation era!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Another 'thanks' for the Photoshop tutorial - the photo looks great and pix of your layout can only get better as you add the details.

Re the cattle wagons, I've always laboured under the illusion that BR wagon livery required the solebars and buffer beams to be painted black. Typically, solebars were painted body colour in grouping (and pre-grouping) days. And in fact when metal solebars were introduced in the grouping era they were painted black anyway (well at least that was the case on the LNER).

I did a Google images search on 'BR Cattle Wagon' and virtually every pic, model or prototype, has black solebars. As per these examples:

attachicon.gifcattle wagon_1.pngattachicon.gifcattle wagon_2.png

At least this might set you off doing your own research - and an easy enough thing to put right if you agree with me.

(always be wary of vehicles painted in the preservation era!)

Hi mate, thanks for looking.

The issue of painting is interesting, and somewhat frustrating, as I have received completely opposite advice from a number of people. :)

Although it may have been the case that BR specified black solebars and headstocks, I have found enough photos of the period (not preserved stock) which show both wooden and metal solebars and headstocks painted in body colour. This seems to be especially true for stock inherited from the LMS - as mine is.

To me, and also under advice from a number of people, it is risky to model from a model, particularly since (for RTR anyway) it is far easier for the manufacturer to mould the running gear and chassis in black, and the body in whatever colour required.

The photo of the prototype which I posted, and on which I based my painting, was taken on the SVR, and is of a wagon which has obviously not been repainted for many years, and is therefore quite likely to be original.

Annoyingly, there is a picture of what may well be the prototype for Dapol's model on Paul Bartlett's site (same running number) taken in the 1970s, and that shows the solebars painted black but the headstocks painted in body colour!

I think I'll leave it as it is, for now, but it would be nice if someone could provide a definitive answer (always supposing there is one!).

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Al,

I had a friend at uni who in our last year did half his course in Electrical Engineering, although most of what he did was maths and soldering.  He commented that his lab partner was not very dexterous as he could not hold 5 things in his hand at once while soldering.  I replied, "John, (I did that because that was his name), you have played the organ for years and so probably have more nimble fingers than most people."  "Oh yes," he replied, "I suppose so."  The rest of us mere mortals will have to buy clamps etc.

As for limewash, that definately went out in the twenties.  I think I have found the box with the mags in.  I will see if I get time this week to go through it.

Solebar painting- if you have a prototype I would go with it, or else ask someone who was there.  There are members on the Web who were.

• Like 1

Still need to get the lime wash on!

Apologies, meant whitewash.  This post was, however, a reference to a picture I put up (subsequently removed by a moderator on copyright grounds) which suggested that on certain railways it was company policy to whitewash cattle trucks after every use.  It was also somewhat tongue-in-cheek as Al's modelling doesn't need any assistance from me!

Hi Jaz, thanks for asking. Bit of a domestic crisis going on at the moment, which I won't bore you with, so modelling has to take a back seat.

Hopefully back to normal soon.

Cheers,

Al.

All the best, Al, & hope to see you back soon!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your support and well wishes.

Life is returning to even keel, and I'm able to start doing some modelling again.

Firstly, I've now finished the three Dapol cattle trucks, building the last two in the same manner as I detailed in an earlier post.

Here's a few pictures:

post-17302-0-63007000-1380046191_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-61698600-1380046201_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Jason, and his supplied small tension locks, and his ideas as to how to fit them, I'm able to get a nice close connection between the trucks:

post-17302-0-96717600-1380046198_thumb.jpg

They all run well, and all-in-all I don't reckon they're too bad for a 50 year old pattern.

I probably need to add some weight to them, and they all have the same running number at the moment, but these are things I can address at a later date.

Building these has given me the confidence to consider other kits in the future, instead of always opting for the ready to plonk models for rolling stock, so it's been a worthwhile exercise and an enjoyable experience, overall.

More in a minute,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's time to tackle my most ambitious scratchbuild project to date.

I have thought long and hard about what I was going to do about the station footbridge.

The original prototype is a wrought iron design built by Butterley Works of Ripley, who built a lot of footbridges for a number of railway companies all over the country, from Scotland to Cornwall.

Incidentally, whilst typing this, it struck me that at the time most of them were built, there was no long distance road transport other than horse drawn, so they must have transported them to site by rail!

The Bakewell footbridge is a little out of the ordinary, comprising as it does, the "flattened arch" which was the signature of a Butterley bridge, but not having a flight of steps between the landings at the side and the bridge itself. In addition, the two staircases to platform level have an intermediate landing halfway up (or down) :) There is also a third flight of steps which lead from the Up platform landing to the road above.

Most readily available kits and RTP models look similar this:

post-17302-0-48020400-1380048523_thumb.jpg

Wikimedia Commons License

Whereas Bakewell does not have the flight of steps either side in the bridge section:

post-17302-0-09283500-1380048642_thumb.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts / Peak Rail Collection

For all the reasons mentioned above, it therefore was difficult to identify a ready to plonk model, or a kit, which matched the design of the prototype. Whatever I did, therefore, would require some modification to reproduce the original.

Throughout this thread I have discussed the options with a number of you, and you have suggested various kits, both brass-etched and laser-cut plastic, which I could modify to fit. However, although the thought of scratchbuilding such an intricate structure was somewhat daunting, I have resolved to have a go at building it myself, and if it all goes horribly wrong I can at least use the experience to help when it comes to modifying a kit.

For the build, I'm using the Plans published in Railway Modeller by Stan Roberts.

OK, so explanations over, let's glue some plastic! :)

I decided to use L shape Evergreen strip for the main bridge frames:

post-17302-0-47939800-1380048860_thumb.jpg

One slight drawback, however. It's not curved:

post-17302-0-01750500-1380048863_thumb.jpg

By happy chance, I was reading Cav's Millers Dale thread, where he mentioned a method of bending and forming styrene strip, so I followed his example.

First, I nailed the strip to some wood:

post-17302-0-13241400-1380048865_thumb.jpg

And then I put it in the oven at Gas-Mark 4 for 10 minutes! :O

Amazingly, I didn't burn the house down, or damage the plastic, either. What came out was a nicely curved bit of strip:

post-17302-0-33406100-1380048867_thumb.jpg

So I did it again, for the other side!

Whilst waiting for it to cook I cut out some more L shaped strip to form the frame for the landings, and some long thin strip to glue to the L shape so that it ended up as a sort of inverted T shape, with one large flange and one narrow.

post-17302-0-37786500-1380048870_thumb.jpg

When I'd rescued the strip from the oven and let it cool, and all those bits were stuck together, I ended up with the basis of the bridge:

post-17302-0-35728200-1380048873_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-96502500-1380048875_thumb.jpg

So far so good, nothing too scary about that, yet, but then I realised I'd stuck the landings on to the bridge members the wrong way up, as there needs to be a single step between the landing and the bridge surfaces.

In the next installment, you'll see how I rectified that and continued with the build.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you're back in the groove, Al. Nice job with the cattle wagons!

Btw, you've had a lot more than a minute. As the predators on KL keep shouting...."more pics!!"   :jester:

Jeff

Blimey, give a bloke a chance! :D Look what I was typing! :rtfm:

Cheers Jeff,

Al