Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Premium

Al,

I have got the OPC book on LMS architecture and it includes drawings for the lamp hut, and pictures of the arrangements for the coal (or Ash) bunker oustide the box. Also has photos on the LMS concrete privvy, and i think there are also photos of Midland cattle docks (there might be drawings I can't remember!). I can scan and email them to you if you want.....

It's a good book and worth the £2 (!) i paid for it secondhand!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Al,

I have got the OPC book on LMS architecture and it includes drawings for the lamp hut, and pictures of the arrangements for the coal (or Ash) bunker oustide the box. Also has photos on the LMS concrete privvy, and i think there are also photos of Midland cattle docks (there might be drawings I can't remember!). I can scan and email them to you if you want.....

It's a good book and worth the £2 (!) i paid for it secondhand!

Andy G

Andy, that would be really great if you could, thank you very much indeed.

Does the book have an ISBN so that I could find a copy?

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Heres a copy on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictorial-Record-LMS-Architecture-Anderson/dp/0860930831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377468366&sr=8-1&keywords=lms+architecture

Bit more pricey than my £2 mind.

Can you wait until the middle of the week as I'm not going to be near the PC till then?

Andy G

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, it's been nearly a fortnight since I posted on this thread.

I apologise, but hasten to reassure you all that I haven't lost interest in modelling, rather, I've been busy modifying a slightly larger scale item.

At 12" to the foot, and built of equal parts of steel and rust, you can see my problem:

post-17302-0-34089900-1378406334_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-67517500-1378406336_thumb.jpg

However, I'm pleased to report that using the full scale equivalent of a scalpel (a large angle grinder) and Mek-Pak (a MIG welder) I have now got the vehicle looking like this:

post-17302-0-29931700-1378406339_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-24096500-1378406700_thumb.jpg

And by the end of the weekend, I hope to have replaced the seats in it as well, which makes driving it slightly more convenient.

Meanwhile, back in 4mm land, I bought three of these to try:

post-17302-0-77183800-1378406341_thumb.jpg

That should afford some entertainment, and pics will be forthcoming in due course.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cattle trucks, Al? You see, the effect is catching.... KL may be full of discussions re. 4Fs and sheep - and now you're joining in with cattle as well. Ok, I know you've already built the cattle dock. My sheep will remain on the hills for the foreseeable future!

Hope you enjoyed the full scale modelling on your vehicle. Did it pass the MOT?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Yep, having built the cattle dock, I thought it might be an idea to have some vehicles to deliver the inmates. :)

I'm not sure "enjoy" is quite the word I'd use - although there is a sense of satisfaction at having staved off the tin-worm for a few more years, but yes, with the welding and a new set of brake discs and calipers on the back, it passed the MOT, even with only the drivers seat in an otherwise bare shell! The tester was quite happy, so long as all the seatbelts were present.

Hi Al, great to see you back and the reason for a NO SHOW is quite obvious.

It will be interesting to see how the cattle truck go together, I tried the Low Fit?/ well thingy and the little tiny wheels they supplied were  to narrow on the axels and would not fit, it will now be a scrappy. :no: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, never built the Airfix/Dapol cattle trucks. There're a bit ancient now unless they have been retooled. As I have said before, I can recommend the C&L (Slaters) Midland/LMS version and even that kit is a bit long in the tooth.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, never built the Airfix/Dapol cattle trucks. There're a bit ancient now unless they have been retooled. As I have said before, I can recommend the C&L (Slaters) Midland/LMS version and even that kit is a bit long in the tooth.

Hi Jonathan, Yes, I've been looking for the C&L ones, based on your recommendation, but these Dapol ones cost me a fiver for the three together, so I thought it'd be rude not to...

They come with metal wheels included, so even if they turn out rubbish I can salvage those for use elsewhere.

Cheers,

Al

Great to see you've staved of the "tin worm" Al and to see that we're approaching the rolling stock stage :locomotive: .

Simon

Thanks Simon, hope to be back to some modelling soon.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, great to see you back and the reason for a NO SHOW is quite obvious.

It will be interesting to see how the cattle truck go together, I tried the Low Fit?/ well thingy and the little tiny wheels they supplied were  to narrow on the axels and would not fit, it will now be a scrappy. :no: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodge :sungum:

Heyup Bodgit!

I've heard you're getting withdrawal symptoms, so I'll do a build post soon to keep you interested :D

Yes, I've no idea what the quality of these is like, as I have only glanced at them really.

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Gold

Al

Fancy letting the real world and other interests interfere with the modelling. You obviously still have a life and are not been fully assimilated yet    :no:  

The good news is those real world skills for fixing things have obviously translated well in the model world of building things.  :locomotive:

The other plus is that with only one seat you won't be bothered by people mithering you for a lift, so that will free up more modelling time :mosking:

I was at Bakewell last Thursday for a bike ride with the grandkids - they were ok but their grandma's nettle rash, thorn tree incident scars and my very painful gravel rash (two hands, one arm, one knee) seem to indicate that your modelling approach is a safer pastime than allowing over older "couch potato" people to visit the real thing on two wheels. However, patching up the wounded bits gave me time to have a proper close up look at the real version of what you have been creating, and I have to say .... I am really impressed.   :good:

Although I have been many times before I hadn't realised that the impressive building was only a front and had just assumed that the rear part of the buildings had been demolished when it was turned into a trail, just leaving the façade for posterity. So not only a grand tale of one persons journey from beginner to expert, but educational as well. Keep up the good work. :clapping:

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Al

Fancy letting the real world and other interests interfere with the modelling. You obviously still have a life and are not been fully assimilated yet    :no:  

The good news is those real world skills for fixing things have obviously translated well in the model world of building things.  :locomotive:

The other plus is that with only one seat you won't be bothered by people mithering you for a lift, so that will free up more modelling time :mosking:

I was at Bakewell last Thursday for a bike ride with the grandkids - they were ok but their grandma's nettle rash, thorn tree incident scars and my very painful gravel rash (two hands, one arm, one knee) seem to indicate that your modelling approach is a safer pastime than allowing over older "couch potato" people to visit the real thing on two wheels. However, patching up the wounded bits gave me time to have a proper close up look at the real version of what you have been creating, and I have to say .... I am really impressed.   :good:

Although I have been many times before I hadn't realised that the impressive building was only a front and had just assumed that the rear part of the buildings had been demolished when it was turned into a trail, just leaving the façade for posterity. So not only a grand tale of one persons journey from beginner to expert, but educational as well. Keep up the good work. :clapping:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, it's annoying when life gets in the way of modelling, I obviously need to revisit my priorities :)

I've not yet identified the need for an angle grinder or welder whilst modelling, however I'm sure it's only a matter of time - maybe if I attempt a brass kit in the future? :scratchhead:

It's true, I've managed to legitimately refuse a number of ferrying jobs on the grounds that they'd have to sit on my knee, which would make driving awkward... :nono:

I wish I'd known you were in Bakewell, I could have offered tea, sympathy and first aid. I hope you're not too badly battered. It's only the other month I was digging bits of road out of my daughter's knee after a similar mishap, so I can claim some experience...

Thank you for your comments, I'm pleased that you think my modelling has done the station justice, and when I come to do the other building, I hope to continue to do so.

They are both lovely buildings in their own right, and deserve to be preserved, both in real life, and as a model...

• RMweb Gold

It was painful. Tea and sympathy wouldn't have fixed it. First aid would have helped. What was actually needed was a good dose of a quality single malt whisky. It wouldn't have fixed it but it would have made me feel better. :sarcastic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Okay then, as it's persisting down outside, I can't do much to the car this evening, so let's have a look at a cattle truck.

In my previous post I mentioned that I'd picked up three of the Dapol BR cattle truck kits for a very cheap price.

These kits are based on the mouldings of the original Airfix model from 30 years ago, as Rowsley17D said, so probably aren't up to much in terms of accuracy, but we'll have a go anyway.

Here's a pic of a prototype, on which I will (loosely) base the model:

post-17302-0-67269200-1378511232_thumb.jpg

Here's the complete set of parts in a single kit:

post-17302-0-81828600-1378511234_thumb.jpg

Detail of the brake gear:

post-17302-0-13072000-1378511237_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is quite a bit of flash on some parts, which will need removing before we start anything else:

post-17302-0-08041700-1378511239_thumb.jpg

The kit comes with various coupling options, either a plastic representation of the three-link coupling, the old continental style similar to a Kadee, and a pair of NEM pockets and tension-lock couplings. I will probably fit these in the first instance, but may move on to something else in the future:

post-17302-0-87905600-1378511240_thumb.jpg

As mentioned earlier, there are metal wheels included in the kit.

As a first job, then, I removed the flash from various sections of the parts, including the gaps in the planking that are an obvious feature if you refer to the photo above:

post-17302-0-96593900-1378511242_thumb.jpg

Then, I painted the interior parts with Humbrol Matt White No.32:

post-17302-0-38446300-1378511245_thumb.jpg

Next, I painted the brake gear, axle boxes, suspension and underside of the floor in Humbrol Dirty Black No.RC403

post-17302-0-20168300-1378511247_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-02949200-1378511249_thumb.jpg

Finally, I applied Railmatch BR Bauxite to the solebars, headstocks, buffers and edge of the floor.

post-17302-0-79898200-1378511255_thumb.jpg

That's as far as I've got, tonight, more soon.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the couplings, if you trim the pip out of the mounting blocks, a Bachmann slimline coupling can be slotted and glued in and look a lot neater than the large ones the kit comes with. I have loads knocking about if you want some, and am happy to pop some in the post if you pm me your address.

Once done, they couple up with other Bachmann stock much better and you can also decide how much they protrude in order to get closer coupling.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of photos to show what I mean. 

Upside down, Bachmann Slimline slid and glued into the de-pipped mounting block

Couples001_zps3a161a83.jpg

Still a tension lock but much smaller & neater, closer in as well so wagons can be closer-coupled

Couples003_zps1afd7261.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the couplings, if you trim the pip out of the mounting blocks, a Bachmann slimline coupling can be slotted and glued in and look a lot neater than the large ones the kit comes with. I have loads knocking about if you want some, and am happy to pop some in the post if you pm me your address.

Once done, they couple up with other Bachmann stock much better and you can also decide how much they protrude in order to get closer coupling.

Here's a couple of photos to show what I mean. 

Upside down, Bachmann Slimline slid and glued into the de-pipped mounting block

Couples001_zps3a161a83.jpg

Still a tension lock but much smaller & neater, closer in as well so wagons can be closer-coupled

Couples003_zps1afd7261.jpg

Jason, that's a great idea, and very kind of you, thank you.

PM sent.

Cheers mate,

Al

• RMweb Gold

Thankfully, the weather stayed dry, today, and I was able to put the car back together. Once that was done, in between applying coats of Waxoyl to the underneath, I managed to get the cattle truck done.

Last night I'd finished pre-painting various bits and pieces, so this afternoon, the first thing was to build up the running gear on the underneath of the base:

post-17302-0-34496400-1378577953_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-96944500-1378577955_thumb.jpg

I found that the holes in the headstock were nowhere near big enough for the buffers to fit, so I drilled them out:

post-17302-0-22743000-1378577958_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-68762100-1378577960_thumb.jpg

The buffers had a prominent mold line right across the face of the buffer, so before painting them, I filed them smooth and added a slight flat in the centre which looks more prototypical.

Once they were done, I started to assemble the main bodywork:

post-17302-0-16138100-1378577963_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-61439800-1378577965_thumb.jpg

Which wasn't that bad, although the doors were a little awkward, and didn't fit very well, but some fettling with the scalpel persuaded them eventually:

post-17302-0-04517500-1378577968_thumb.jpg

So once put together, I painted the whole thing in Railmatch BR Bauxite:

post-17302-0-12454400-1378577971_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-09725400-1378577974_thumb.jpg

Once this has dried thoroughly overnight, I'll start to weather it all.

Incidentally, with the wheels on it runs very nicely, with barely any friction.

More soon, thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 3