Β 

Does anyone take RMC?

I'm looking for an article by Matt Snell - possibly the June 2012 issue about modelling New Jersey style trash-transload facilities, containers and trains, including adapting 20' Iso containersto trash and "dirty-dirt" containers. I need to confirm the issue it appeared in so that I can try to get hold of a back issue. Thanks

I am not sure how much use this is to you, but from an overall perspective it's worth noting that the Clean Railroads Act of 2008 altered the way solid waste transfer facilities were regulated. Prior to that act everything fell under the STB's jurisdiction, after various uproars from communities who suddenly found themselves with trash to train facilities in their midst that they could do little about, congress changed the rules.

All that means from a modelling perspective is that solid waste transfer is unlikely to take place at a general transloading facility, more likely to have a facility such as the one described in the articles. As with most things, exceptions will occur, modeler's license applies etc.

Hi Jack

Β 

If you get no joy with SPV, Carsten's themselves are very helpful, either by phone or e-myther http://carstens-publications.com/

Β 

If you're planning trash trains, one of the early operations was on Cape Cod using high sided gondolas with lids. A guy called Mike Rose did an article about in in an old RMC, if you need to get back issues from Carstens you might want to include it. If you do, I'll try and find out which issue it is.

Β 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I read this series when it came out (at least the first 2 parts), but I too have culled my RMCs for that period already.

It was an OK article, I think Snell was basing his building on the BRI Transfer station in Bridgewater, NJ (I know he at least mentioned it).

Bing view of BRI Transfer here (oddly, in that Bing view there are almost no freight cars, while in Google Street there are Gondolas, and in the Google Satellite view there are intermodal flats!).

I believe he wrote the articles prior to the introduction of the Atlas 85ft MSW intermodal flats, as they are not mentioned in the article. If you want lots and lots of Intermodal Flats and Containers, you will do well modeling Waste Managment in Bushwick, Brooklyn

If you like Gondolas (especially high sided former coal gons converted to waste duty), then you can go for C&D (construction and debris) waste, which has less of a bad rep (since it is unlikely to smell, although it can be dusty) - the highly illegal Costal Distribution C&D facility in Farmingdale, Long Island, NY, would be a great choice to model - traiins load within the building

Archived