My detailing/repainting projects

Hi. I think I know which one you mean, passed it many a time. I should have really visited with a camera, I shall do at some point! Many thanks.

Hi, might be able to save you a trip, popped down the other weekend and took a few. Have put a topic here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75453-old-cramlington-waggonway-and-riverside-railway-in-bridges/

It's the blue one in Walker that looks most similar to the vari-girders (got myself a pack from the show on Saturday).

The latest project to be started is trying to create this beastie, quite a distressed finish, rather than the usual pristine. This was during the period when the loco had just been transferred South from Scotland, and rather hastily de-branded, and rather sloppily re-branded with small NSE logos.

post-7202-0-10453500-1377674948_thumb.jpg

Not that I ever buy it Lee, but Rail Express modeller has an article about 706 in this condition, either in the latest or previous edition............

I've been getting proper yearnings for 7mm for a long while now, and you putting those fots up have done nothing for my willpower! I made a promise to myself that I WILL finish my current EM project, however, once I'm done with it, I'm moving up to 7mm.

There's just too much of a pull when I see Large logo tractors. Fully agree with the comments on the DJH kit and like you mate, I have several drooling sessions over the JLTRT site behind me!

Cheers guys. Sorry Andy  :locomotive: hehe. They really are superb beasties aren't they? I have some coming onto the workbench soon, so maybe I can resist temptation a bit longer, until the Dapol 08 arrives.......

See, that's it now!  :wild: You mentioned 'Dapol' and '08' in the same sentence...................

Back to the grind. Sort of. I love it really   :angel:  
Another 40 is in works. Same as the last one, lights, sound, bogie drop, etched roof grille and headcode discs, and new windscreen surrounds and laserglaze.
Now then, with the last one, I put  speaker in the traditional place, (under the roof fan), and one under chassis in the fuel tanks. After slicing some metal off the chassis block nose ends so the light units will fit, I had an idea for an alternative speaker position.

Do we really need this circuit board?
9629098643_135b71a28a_b.jpg

Nah!
9629098309_e484a283e1_b.jpg

Pump it up!
9632333670_93c9e2b62d_b.jpg

I'll see what this pair sounds like, I'm not sure if a pair of bass enhanced will be better than a single large bass reflex. I'll have a play.

A pair of red stripe bones
9632334086_49e42e7c9c_b.jpg

A distressed ex Scotrail 47/7
9632332918_5ebda1df93_b.jpg

Finally got one side of lab 12 lined. Only another 5 to go   :no:
9632333966_c07810ee05_b.jpg

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 6

They all look great Lee. Are the 58s Heljans? I had a go at weathering my first loco, a RailRoad 31 just a black wash really and then wiped it off, not up to your standards but does improve the model. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

I have always had an interest in high quality sound. You know this from my thread on av systems.Maybe that's why I enjoy dcc sound? But I digress.

Bass reflex speakers are about a tenner a shot, and I fit quite a few now, so thanks to a suggestion from Pete Harvey from PH Designs, I decided to have a go myself.

The basic principle of a loudspeaker is shifting air....the larger the enclosure, the better the bass response. so.....

This was my 1st attempt with one of the class 40's I am currently upgrading. I added a port to it to try and further increase bass output, but it didn't work. Ports need to be calculated with complicated formulas to work properly, I used a 6mm drill   :jester:  A quick bodge with blu tack to plug the hole, and it was sounding pretty decent. Much louder and fuller sounding than recently purchased bass speakers.

9643657078_ce09518ab2_b.jpg

Back to my class 27 I started detailing the other week. Space inside these little Sulzers is ridiculously tight, so I normally just squeeze the small circular speaker on top of the end of the circuit board, and seal the rear of it with blu tack. Not ideal, so I decided to take the circuit board out, and hardwire everything. The additional space allowed me to make a proper circular enclosure, using 1mm plasticard, and securely attach it to the chassis. A much better job.

9643656932_47718c514e_b.jpg

9643655702_31b6ed2148_b.jpg

Enclosed speaker on the left, normal on the right.

9640419929_fd4b97021e_b.jpg

9640420415_5eeb3c7e5b_b.jpg

The biggest surprise of the experiment was the increase in volume and bass from the small circular speaker...the little 27 now sounds absolutely fantastic.

I'm not sure if you will pick the improvment up from the videos, but I will be making all of my own enclosures from now on.

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 2

Lee, if the port was just a hole it wouldn't work, you'd need to have a tube inside too. You're right the formulas for calculating the correct size etc are really really complicated, I looked into building my own enclosed back guitar amp once and got baffled by the maths...

I once had an, ermm, subwoofer in the boot of my car (I know, I know!) and the box was a good cubic foot and a half volume at least with a port approximately 3" across with the tube of the port extending 3" down into the enclosure. Scale that down and it gets pretty small...