westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian

Somewhat belatedly, I came across your wonderful thread about a week ago, and since then I have been slowly making my way through the 1650 posts taking in all of the detail and the great humour. Your modelling is stunning and truly inspirational. Until now I have tended only to make kits or at most to modify, detail, and hopefully improve kits, but I have resolved that when I next get back to the scenic side - as I am currently involved in a major track realignment and re-wiring phase - then I will just have to try my hand at scratch-building.

I lived close to Bromley Common in the 1950's and used to visit Westerham from time to time with my parents; later, as a bus-spotter I travelled through on the 410 bus to Godstone garage in the early '60's. Your model truly brings the local scene back to life.

Long may this thread and your project continue!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian

Somewhat belatedly, I came across your wonderful thread about a week ago, and since then I have been slowly making my way through the 1650 posts taking in all of the detail and the great humour. Your modelling is stunning and truly inspirational. Until now I have tended only to make kits or at most to modify, detail, and hopefully improve kits, but I have resolved that when I next get back to the scenic side - as I am currently involved in a major track realignment and re-wiring phase - then I will just have to try my hand at scratch-building.

I lived close to Bromley Common in the 1950's and used to visit Westerham from time to time with my parents; later, as a bus-spotter I travelled through on the 410 bus to Godstone garage in the early '60's. Your model truly brings the local scene back to life.

Long may this thread and your project continue!

Tony

Hi Tony, many thanks for all your kind comments and button pushing ( a plaster for the end of your finger is in the post as it must be sore). I am glad that you have enjoyed your journey  around Westerham and Brasted and hope it brings back happy memories of summers past. all the best Adrian.

Wire and Tube Point Control for Westerham Station.

If I had taken in, what I had read about the system over the past 50 years, what bit didn't I understand about doing it before you start the scenery/ buildings /wiring or anything else you care to name, especially as the surface of the base board is fibreboard, and all I would of had to do is cut grooves in the surface with a craft knife for the tube runs, but never mind working upside down with sharp tools and hot melt glue guns is all part of the fun, the injuries will soon heal.

The system is not complicated and allows for adjustment, it does take a bit of work to get it to work smoothly; but that is probably due to the fact that some of the runs are over 4' and have some quite tight radiuses.

Some points to note if fitting underneath the baseboard

1. Try to keep the tube and wire as close to the underside of the baseboard as possible, this will minimise the amount of wire

going through the tie bar.

2. Fix the outer poly tube as much as possible to stop it flexing when operating the point, as this will effect the throw.

3. I made a groove about 3" long in the underside of the baseboard for the wire and tube to slope up to the point,so that it     was closer to the tie bar.

4. Make sure that you leave about 6mm of wire exposed at the exit of the tube before it bends up to the tie bar.

Here are some pictures of the components as fitted underneath the baseboard.

And some of the finished project.

None of this is original, its just my version using bits and pieces of others ideas, and don't forget if you are thinking of using something similar Fit It First it will be so much easier. any questions please ask.   

Hi Adrian, Holy old post resurrection Batman....I'm at the stage of contemplating(!) how to do my point control, and as I only plagiarise from the best(!!) I was thinking of plagiarising your ideas! So, I know where to source most of the stuff you've used, but just wanted to ask where you managed to get the 2mm OD tubing from. `It looks clear from your pic's......(I'll also be nicking the road surface idea....they looks spot on to me!)

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian, Holy old post resurrection Batman....I'm at the stage of contemplating(!) how to do my point control, and as I only plagiarise from the best(!!) I was thinking of plagiarising your ideas! So, I know where to source most of the stuff you've used, but just wanted to ask where you managed to get the 2mm OD tubing from. `It looks clear from your pic's......(I'll also be nicking the road surface idea....they looks spot on to me!)

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill, I can just about remember as far back as 2013, the tube was clear and I got it from my local model aircraft shop it was available in all sorts of OD. A Google of model aircraft supplies should bring up a local supplier not far from Gotham City. Any problems finding it just send me a pm. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

Hi Bill, I can just about remember as far back as 2013, the tube was clear and I got it from my local model aircraft shop it was available in all sorts of OD. A Google of model aircraft supplies should bring up a local supplier not far from Gotham City. Any problems finding it just send me a pm. All the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian, I found some Teflon Tubing on Flea-Bay. £2.49 per metre post free  which has an OD of 2mm and an ID of 1mm, so I treated myself to 2 metres...Just to see if its any good! How critical is the width of the rod inside (oo-er Mrs!), I've seen some Piano Wire at 1mm or 0.71.  would the former be too tight or the latter too loose?

Edited by clarkeeboy56

Your local Radio Control Model shop, should have some plastic inner control lines, which is much smoother running than Piano Wire and will negotiate bends too, without loosing any pressure on tension or compression.

Thanks Adrian, I found some Teflon Tubing on Flea-Bay. £2.49 per metre post free  which has an OD of 2mm and an ID of 1mm, so I treated myself to 2 metres...Just to see if its any good! How critical is the width of the rod inside (oo-er Mrs!), I've seen some Piano Wire at 1mm or 0.71.  would the former be too tight or the latter too loose?

Regards

Julian

Edit.  You can buy it online too.

Edited by jcredfer

Your local Radio Control Model shop, should have some plastic inner control lines, which is much smoother running than Piano Wire and will negotiate bends too, without loosing any pressure on tension or compression.

Regards

Julian

Edit.  You can buy it online too.

Many thanks Julian I'll look into that....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill, Julians suggestion sounds good, but if you do decide go the piano wire method, 0.71mm  might be preferable as it will take a smaller radius on any tight curves you may have, and will be easier to bend at the tie bar and switch ends.

One point that's worth noting if you use piano wire, fit the wire inside the outer tube before you put any curves in or fasten it. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1

Hi Bill, Julians suggestion sounds good, but if you do decide go the piano wire method, 0.71mm  might be preferable as it will take a smaller radius on any tight curves you may have, and will be easier to bend at the tie bar and switch ends.

One point that's worth noting if you use piano wire, fit the wire inside the outer tube before you put any curves in or fasten it. All the best Adrian.

Thanks for that tip Adrian! I thought at 0.71 it would be a better fit. The Teflon tubing should be pretty robust I would have thought.. I'll let you know how I get on!!

• Like 1

The painters came today to finish painting the bridge, some off white paint, brown, black and buff pastel chalks, cotton buds and some green paint.

The Tarmac guys are supposed to arrive tomorrow to lay the road over the bridge, so watch where you leave your car and don't park on the bridge.

Some pictures of work so far.

Wow Words fail me, Superb....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a remake of one of my favourite films, (I like the Kenneth More version the best). But the 27 steps and a landing in the middle, starring Chevening-Halt.

Built to get the occasional passenger down to the platform from the bridge.(no concessions for less able people in those times)

First a paper template was drawn up on the computer to give me the step spacing, which was then glued to a piece of thick card,and then the treads and risers were cut out with a knife. Balsa wood has been used for the steps and stuck down with pva. After it had been assembled, I was looking at the photo of the steps, and on the wall of the bridge you can see a shadow of the handrail and guess what it looks like there is a small half landing. So out with the knife and much muttering I cut the steps in half and inserted a landing.

Some pictures of progress so far. 

post-17489-0-11713000-1430917673.jpg

post-17489-0-33999800-1430917688_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-48983500-1430917708_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-05069600-1430917721_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-08881800-1430917734_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-14835800-1430917749_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-29984200-1430917790_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nice job Richard Hannay :D

Cutting all those diagonals by hand, you're a nutter :)

Al.

Hi Al, I am just hoping that I don't emulate the villian in the film and chop the top of my finger off. All the best, now hanging from the bridge by my fingertips Adrian.

• Like 2

Well   ......

Not a remake of one of my favourite films, (I like the Kenneth More version the best). But the 27 steps and a landing in the middle, starring Chevening-Halt.
  Built to get the occasional passenger down to the platform from the bridge.(no concessions for less able people in those times)

Unquote

I guess they were more independent and blxxdy minded back then  ........   and "Nanny State" was simply the result of the application of a slight excess of the fermentation of the Juniper Berry   ....   :nono:  :nono:    ....................................................    or the wrong type of communication with the Postman   .......   :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Regards

Julian

• Like 1

• Trade Member

Just for a bit of fun.

Sorry Kenneth Moore was the best, not the Doughnut or the Powell version on the Severn Valley in the 70s either.

Now Pasteurized, I'd be happy if it came up to my chest...

I think the RSPCA should be called in to investigate what has happened to the poor horse.

This could be a case for Dick Barton, after this last weekend as a QPR fan certainly not Joey Barton!

Kevin

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adrian.

Have spent the spare time (mostly at extended meal times) catching up on the last 6-7 months of your wonderful thread and very entertaining it was too!

Now I hope to be following more closely.

All the likes and craftsmanships are for real modeling and superb photography mate. Keep up the good work.

Regards Shaun   

• Like 2