Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

• RMweb Gold

I had a chat with Joel about these.  All three livery samples were rejected and are being re-done. Everyone who ASKED was told that.

Les

It seems they were on the stand because these are the only liveried prototypes available.

Thank you for confirming the view I'd suggest the highlighting of "asked" in bold on your post is a little condescending. As other have noted, it'a not always possible to ask for a variety of reasons. . When I was there, all the Dapol people were tied up and hence not possible to ask. The purpose of forums such as these is to share information collectively as even each person who does ask may get a slightly different snippet and hence we as users can build up a collectively more accurate picture.

David

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it a good idea to say what is wrong with the colours, rather than just saying they are awful? In fact, to my eye the carmine on the  blood and custard one looked pretty good but the cream is too dark. There's at least one Colour-Rail slide that shows just how garish an ex-works car in this livery was. (CJL)

Judging from a 'puter screen isn't really the best way but from what I can see I agree with that.  The carmine might, or might not, be a tad dark but the 'cream' is way too yellow,  However as has already been pointed out these samples date back some time and liveries, and certain other features such as lights, remain a work in progress.  

Comments from a couple of us about proposed arrangements for the lights were listened to and accepted with pleasant thanks on the Dapol Digest.  And of course the question was asked there in the first place which is again indicative of a concern nowadays at Dapol to to try to get things right.

Edit to correct typo (I really did mean 'pleasant'!)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

I had a chat with Joel about these.  All three livery samples were rejected and are being re-done. Everyone who ASKED was told that.

Les

It seems they were on the stand because these are the only liveried prototypes available.

I could have asked if I was there.....unfortunately illness leaves me near housebound, and the replies and information kindly given on the forum is gratefully acknowledged, but we need your input and reporting of questions, without implying that we could have asked.

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a terrific photo from Andy Y at post 203. Sorry I don't know, but what was the purpose of that pipe supported by 4 brackets from the roof (in real life, of course!), please?

John

Andy's photo shows up much better than the earlier one. I've also seen a video of Warley in another thread where the shades look totally different when taken from another angle, although still slightly yellow-ish on the Custard. Perhaps the match between the lighting and the colour balance of the camera was a bit out? 

I wonder what happened to the windows in the photo. Hopefully such discolouration will not be an issue when the models arrive.

Perhaps an over handled sample that was freshened up with a coat of dullcote....including the windows!

• RMweb Gold

That is a terrific photo from Andy Y at post 203. Sorry I don't know, but what was the purpose of that pipe supported by 4 brackets from the roof (in real life, of course!), please?

John

In the 1930`s ATC equipment was fitted to those railcars that travelled far and wide, so there is cable runs from one end where the ATC shoe was fitted to the two diesel engines( where the passenger seats were higher over each engine)

Also early on the roofs were painted in two tone white  and later in life some were changed to white and black ( The Dapol team went blank on this when I asked them )

post-17779-0-03992000-1480502428_thumb.jpg

I think this is No 12 trundling down to Weymouth in the 1930`s

post-17779-0-57362600-1480502835_thumb.jpg

Cheers John

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 4

The lining is a bit on the heavy side - it's getting on for a scale 3 to 4 inches wide.

This is always a tough one, how much slack do we cut sample liveries? The lining is a bit rough and a bit heavy but it could well be fine on the production models. Dapol have certainly had no problem delivering fine lining before such as the N Gauge K41.

NGS4.jpg

Then again, we have also had clunkers like the purple class 73s.  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

The roof of W5W:

attachicon.gifw5w-roof.png

That plus the pic in post #212 shows one thing - they differed in roof detail  from railcar to railcar.

The question is- did each railcar have the same roof details after each overhaul that it had immediately before it?

I ask because having extensively researched a couple of classes on the best of the Big 4 (not the one that claimed to be) a photo of a given loco or railcar was only as good as the day it was taken, or at best the period from its previous main overhaul to its next one.

Les

Edited by Les1952

The question is- did each railcar have the same roof details after each overhaul that it had immediately before it?

I don't know. Although of the same diagram (W), No 5 was an earlier batch from that of No 12. Possibly, and understandably, Gloucester changed its mind about the style of roof ventilator. In anycase, it seems Dapol is only attempting to represent the 'main batch' (8 to 16, with the exception of the lav-fitted 10, 11 and 12).

Dapol's 'trolley pole' on top looks very weird, is too large in diameter, and set too far off the roof surface, see http://www.miac.org.uk/images/w14.jpg

Btw, why wasn't the ATC conduit routed through the chassis? Seems rather bizarre to put it on the roof.

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

I don't know. Although of the same diagram (W), No 5 was an earlier batch from that of No 12. Possibly, and understandably, Gloucester changed its mind about the style of roof ventilator. In anycase, it seems Dapol is only attempting to represent the 'main batch' (8 to 16, with the exception of the lav-fitted 10, 11 and 12).

Dapol's 'trolley pole' on top looks very weird, is too large in diameter, and set too far off the roof surface, see http://www.miac.org.uk/images/w14.jpg

Btw, why wasn't the ATC conduit routed through the chassis? Seems rather bizarre to put it on the roof.

ATC was added after construction, and I'd think that running it through the chassis would have entailed making holes in cross-members and having the linkage twist and turn to avoid other equipment. ATC was a mechanical system and wear in all the (probably inaccessible) pivots required would have quickly become a serious maintenance issue.

Sticking it on the roof would have simply been the solution that allowed the smallest number of direction changes.

John

EDIT: See next post.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

ATC was added after construction, and I'd think that running it through the chassis would have entailed making holes in cross-members and having the linkage twist and turn to avoid other equipment. ATC was a mechanical system and wear in all the (probably inaccessible) pivots required would have quickly become a serious maintenance issue.

Sticking it on the roof would have simply been the solution that allowed the smallest number of direction changes.

John

ATC was only a 'mechanical system' at the interface between the shoe fitting on the loco and the ramp in the four foot.  Everything after that was electrical (hence the conduit alongside the hanging frame on those engines with the shoe at the front end, and of course the need for batteries) until it arrived at the cab equipment where an electro-mechanical cancelling switch was used and of course the application of brakes was controlled by a solenoid valve (again electro-mevchanical).

Thus the connection from one end of a railcar to the other was by electric cable.

My final video from Warley, featuring the Dapol Stand, during the National Model Railway Exhibition 2016.
As well as demonstrations, on display was a large number of up and coming and prototypes, in N, 00 and 0 Guage, including the up and coming GWR Streamlined Railcars, BR Class 121 and 122, Class 59, plus the up and coming class 68's.
There was also a running sample of the eagerly anticipated Dapol Black Label Gresley A4 Pacifics.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUm9R5zFNg

There is a post in reply to a question on the railcar thread in Dapol Digest that says Dapol have had another decorated sample but it's still wrong and they are not willing to share any images of it hem. Frustrating but reassuring that they are trying to get things right.

Convention seems to be that RTR models usually depict windows in the closed position.

My point was that there is much more detail on the window vents of the prototype,

than there is on the model.

These vehicles had such large sidelights, that the lack of detail on the model is quite glaring.

• Like 1