Amtrak HO Modelling Info Request

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've just picked up some ridiculously cheap old HO Bachmann Amfleet I coaches in VIA Rail livery(!) which I intend to repaint in to either Phase III or Phase IV livery. I know they are not the best but hopefully I can re-wheel them (or at least paint the faces). Can anyone help with the following?

Wheel-sets do they run ok on code 75 trackwork (Peco) or does anyone supply replacement sets? I've read that removing the wipers for the lighting helps rolling resistance a bit.

Decals - I've been onto the Microscale website and found the decals I require, however are there any UK based sellers of them?

Paints - Are there any easily available paints for the Amtrak Red and Blue, also, silly question but what would be the best silver finish to use?

I've also picked up an Athearn blue box AMD 103 P42 diesel (Phase IV). Who makes detailing parts for these loco's? I've read Details West do some, are there any others? Not looking to detail it to the nth degree, but just to upgrade it a little.

Im new to doing any actual work on US stock (I rip into UK outline easily enough)!

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

I've just picked up some ridiculously cheap old HO Bachmann Amfleet I coaches in VIA Rail livery(!) which I intend to repaint in to either Phase III or Phase IV livery. I know they are not the best but hopefully I can re-wheel them (or at least paint the faces). Can anyone help with the following?

Wheel-sets do they run ok on code 75 trackwork (Peco) or does anyone supply replacement sets? I've read that removing the wipers for the lighting helps rolling resistance a bit.

Decals - I've been onto the Microscale website and found the decals I require, however are there any UK based sellers of them?

Paints - Are there any easily available paints for the Amtrak Red and Blue, also, silly question but what would be the best silver finish to use?

I've also picked up an Athearn blue box AMD 103 P42 diesel (Phase IV). Who makes detailing parts for these loco's? I've read Details West do some, are there any others? Not looking to detail it to the nth degree, but just to upgrade it a little.

Im new to doing any actual work on US stock (I rip into UK outline easily enough)!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joe,

Taking the variou questions in order....

Wheelsets - For Code 75 (why?) you need to replace these at least - preferably the bogies as well.

Removing the wipers for lights improves free running only - not the overall running.

Decals - Buy direct or via ebay - most UK outlets order on demand.

Paints - For specific colours buy from the States. For Silver I use Ford Silver from Halfords

Detailing parts - Ebay is your friend. I manage to buy all he Pilot/plow detailing kits I required for my Guilford locos off ebay and saved nearly 30% on the usual retail price including P&P!

Working on IS stock as opposed to UK stock = No difference!

The parts are available if you look for them.

Thanks

Hi Joe,

Microscale has an excellent searchable website, http://www.microscale.com/ sheet number 87-971 has decals for post 1996 Amfleet cars including the window stripes. I've not seen the "VIA" livery on the Bachmann cars but if they're overall silver, I'd just prime the window area with a gloss light grey to stop the old lettering showing through and apply decal staight over. To change any lettering on the silver from VIA to Amtrak, I'd remove it using T-Cut & a cocktail stick and decal over.

Although I'm not familiar with the Amfleet cars, older Bachmann tend to use clip-in trucks whereas better quality models use screws to secures them. I have changed trucks on freight cars by sleeving down the original hole using Plastruct tube and tapping it 8BA to use an 8BA bolt to secure the trucks.

As to replacements - Walthers have made Amfleets so they may be available as spare. You've rpobably noticed they don't resemble any other type of truck so options may be limited. Try a Google search - I'd take a bet someone's done it already.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nick

Guest 40-something

HI Folks

Thanks for the replies. Im using code 75 as the layout I have is laid with that, it was originally designed as a 4mm UK layout. I have access to a lathe so if it comes to it I can turn the flanges down a tad. I've searched through Google but haven't found a answer. I've also sent an email off to Bachmann to see if they sell replacement wheels or bogies.

The Microscale website is great, found the transfers I need and the shipping price is reasonable, though there is a minimum order amount. However I have discovered the Walthers website which when searching for Amfleet and P42 has thrown up results for lots of manufacturers selling the bits I need, and all are in stock. The shipping price is very reasonable too, even with customs charges.

The coaches are actually in Via Rail Blue & Rail, freelance livery on these coaches as far as I can telll, so they need a full strip and repaint. I'll probably convert one into a cafe car while Im at it. Looks like the main difference is blanking off a window in the middle of each side, and the addition of some roof details.

If the wheels are to current Nmra standards they should run OK on code 75. Mine work fine on code 70. Willcost nothing to try them out, anyway.

Best, Pete

What Pete said. I'm 99.5% certain they're NMRA standard flanges; if so they'll run fine on code 55 and even code 40 if the rail is soldered (not spiked) to the sleepers...

• RMweb Gold

I used the Details West detailing kit for the P42. They are easy to fit.

I would paint the strip around the Amfleet windows gloss white and mask before spraying the silver as I found the decals will come off the silver paint.

Ordering direct from Micro scale is easy if Walters don't have the decals.

Ian

Guest 40-something

If the wheels are to current Nmra standards they should run OK on code 75. Mine work fine on code 70. Willcost nothing to try them out, anyway.

Best, Pete

Thanks Pete,

The first of the Amfleets arrived today and indeed they do run fine on code 75, in fact I think the flanges are much finer than on some of my modern 4mm stock! The lights do look ridiculous so I'll be stripping the contacts, wiring and lighting out of them.

I used the Details West detailing kit for the P42. They are easy to fit.

I would paint the strip around the Amfleet windows gloss white and mask before spraying the silver as I found the decals will come off the silver paint.

Ordering direct from Micro scale is easy if Walters don't have the decals.

Ian

Im just about to place the order with Walthers, all items are in stock. Im waiting to see what customs charges I get hit with when I pick up the P42 thats sitting in the post office at the moment. I'll pick that up tomorrow.

Archived