dmmu

heey does anyone knows how to modify a 108 to make a dmmu version

Can you help by clarifying your term 'dmmu' ?

Strictly speaking the Class 106 108 is a DMMU - Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit. The Mechanical referring to the transmission type of a 'standard' gearbox - like a bus. In fact very like a bus, semi-auto Leyland Atlantean for instance.

Editted to correct incorrect class reference.

Strictly speaking the Class 106 is a DMMU - Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit. The Mechanical referring to the transmission type of a 'standard' gearbox - like a bus. In fact very like a bus, semi-auto Leyland Atlantean for instance.

I like your answer leopardml2341 but I'm very surprised you mentioned the Atlantean rather than a Leopard!!! :blum: :jester: I used to have a (legitimately) souvenired Monocontrol unit from a Royal Tiger.

Classes 100 - 131 were all mostly DMMUs although just a few had hydraulic (torque-converter) transmissions - no class 108s had this though. The other side of the coin is the DEMU which had electric transmission. DEMUs were mostly SR-based classes 201 - 207 plus the experimental 210 units. I'm ignoring modern units in this discussion.

• RMweb Premium

I am also a little puzzled by the question, not least as class 108 models have been available RtR in 00 very recently, so perhaps the OP could clarify what they mean?

DMMU (or dmmu) refers as the others have said to all diesel-mechanical multiple units and DEMU to those with diesel-electric power. Less often used is the term DHMU which applied to those with hydraulic transmission (Cravens-build class 113 plus Derby-built classes125 and 127 of the "first generation" fleet) and which applies equally to all recent deliveries from class 150 onwards which have hydraulic transmission.

I like your answer leopardml2341 but I'm very surprised you mentioned the Atlantean rather than a Leopard!!! :blum: :jester:

Thanks SRMan,

Never thought of the obvious - but then again my Leopard was (I don't own it any more) a 4sp (part crash) manual Leyalnd gearbox. It also did not have power steering.

Drivers of modern buses don't know they're born.............

I am also a little puzzled by the question, not least as class 108 models have been available RtR in 00 very recently, so perhaps the OP could clarify what they mean?

DMMU (or dmmu) refers as the others have said to all diesel-mechanical multiple units and DEMU to those with diesel-electric power. Less often used is the term DHMU which applied to those with hydraulic transmission (Cravens-build class 113 plus Derby-built classes125 and 127 of the "first generation" fleet) and which applies equally to all recent deliveries from class 150 onwards which have hydraulic transmission.

I thought diesel mechanical multiple units were differtent because on some preservation railway websites, such as the kent and east sussex lists it as a dmmu but most others just list as a dmu

• RMweb Premium

"DMU" is a general term encompassing all diesel multiple units.

"DMMU" refers more specifically to the type of transmission between the diesel engine and the wheels.

Both apply to class 108 and most other "first generation" types and it makes no difference which you use. Most people simply use "DMU" because it is a little shorter.

I thought diesel mechanical multiple units were differtent because on some preservation railway websites, such as the kent and east sussex lists it as a dmmu but most others just list as a dmu

All DMMUs are DMUs, whilst not all DMUs are DMMUs- DMMUs are a sub-category of DMUs (others being DEMUs and DHMUs, though I can't say I've ever seen the latter abbreviated thus). As others have written, there is a nice model of a 108 in 00 from Bachmann; I believe they might also make an N-gauge one.

• RMweb Premium

DMMU and DHMU are counted together as they are literally a gearbox different, and the only reason they cannot run in multiple is due to DHMU drivers forgetting the DMMU gear changes as their 127s go faster.

DEMUs usually have above chassis engines SR were all 4 cylinder EE lumps, the 210 prototypes, 1 had half an HST lump

DMMU and DHMU are counted together as they are literally a gearbox different, and the only reason they cannot run in multiple is due to DHMU drivers forgetting the DMMU gear changes as their 127s go faster.

DEMUs usually have above chassis engines SR were all 4 cylinder EE lumps, the 210 prototypes, 1 had half an HST lump

First point:-

Problems with Cravens Hydraulic units were especillay prevalent

Second point:-

Not necessarily so - Voyagers are DEMU and they're all 'below floor' - apart from traction resistors on t' roof,

Rgds.

Edit to correct spelling - especially !

• RMweb Premium

First point:-

Problems with Cravens Hydraulic units were especillay prevalent

Second point:-

Not necessarily so - Voyagers are DEMU and they're all 'below floor' - apart from traction resistors on t' roof,

Rgds.

Hence usually rather than all.

• RMweb Premium

Surprised you didn't mention them as 'unusual' then - touche !

Lost interest in the national network with all the older stuff going. I don't know that much about post privatisation stock

Strange,

I am confused, in my days as a fitter, and now as a senior vehicles engineer the following terms were always applied:

DMU - Traditional units, class 101 to 126, we never refered to them other than a DMU

DMMU - Class 150 on, all my Derby training notes specifically refer to second generation units as DMMU, and not DMU

DEMU - Thumpers and the like including the 210s, but rarely 253/4s

EMU - things that run on electric overheads/rail

Cheers

Ringo

Archived