• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Does anyone know the correct colour for the signal box timbers at Dent in the 50's-60's.? I have painted it BR Cream (Railmatch 312) with the BR Crimson (Railmatch 311) but my mate John says it looks too creamy and I have to agree, suggestions welcome, thanks.

Is it just a case that it needs weathering to tone it done a bit? I doubt anything would have stayed too pristine in that environment for too long.

Evening Mike,

I came across the 'Signal Box Forum' almost by accident when someone posted a query about a box in a picture, behind a Barclay diesel shunter which I recognised, as it was being tested by my dad! I was able to confirm that it was in fact the Hurlford mineral sidings box. Might be worth checking in with them at 'admin@signalbox.org' to see if anyone on there can advise?

Hope you've got the 'Chieftan I'm the Puddin' Race sorted for Sunday, Mike - along with attendant 'tatties and neeps'! It'll give you a chance to use up some of that whisky you've been hoarding till next 'Newrdie' for the gravy!

Kind regards,

Jock.

DJH Duchess with an Escap and loads of lead in it will do the trick or

Neodymium magnet in a Hornby Dublo Duchess with Romford drivers..

attachicon.gifHornby Dublo Duchess (1280x272).jpg

or even..

attachicon.gifJamieson Streamlined Duchess (1280x275).jpg

Baz

Hi Baz,

Oh it would have to be the de-streamlined version for me, never did like the original versions, its one argument I would give to Nigel Gresley, his A4's looled the better design, bettered only by removal of the skirts not a full 'makeover' AND I used to cab them Hahaha 

• Like 2

Is it just a case that it needs weathering to tone it done a bit? I doubt anything would have stayed too pristine in that environment for too long.

Hi Ray,

I don't think so mate, just have a look at these for the base coat.

post-5296-0-38926900-1421913048_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-15936500-1421913056_thumb.jpg

They look too 'creamy' to both John and myself but the photo's I have of Dent box' are either near its closure in the 80's or black and white in steam days. I'm just wondering if it should be white and crimson?

I'll have a look at Jock's link later.

• Like 7

Evening Mike,

I came across the 'Signal Box Forum' almost by accident when someone posted a query about a box in a picture, behind a Barclay diesel shunter which I recognised, as it was being tested by my dad! I was able to confirm that it was in fact the Hurlford mineral sidings box. Might be worth checking in with them at 'admin@signalbox.org' to see if anyone on there can advise?

Hope you've got the 'Chieftan I'm the Puddin' Race sorted for Sunday, Mike - along with attendant 'tatties and neeps'! It'll give you a chance to use up some of that whisky you've been hoarding till next 'Newrdie' for the gravy!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

I'll have a look at that tonight, see above for current status - it just looks wrong to me.

I've painted a couple 'boxes over the course of my modelling, and the latest one I painted in Midland colours.  The 'cream' colour I got by mixing a small amount of yellow with a significant amount of white and added a little at a time until it looked right to me.  What Jock says about the cream colour fading to a dirty white I agree with, and also I keep in mind that white fades with time to a cream-ish colour. Just for your info, here's a picture of my 'box.  You can see the white colour of the window frames and contrast that with the cream colour. :-)

Cheers,

William

post-24642-0-26657600-1421943954_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks, Ray, Jock & William.

I am a bit cheesed off - get it? I think you are on the ball with the mix it yourself formula William, but me and colors erm........not a good blend. I'm not colour blind just useless, I mean I thought it looked good going on didn't I !

I'll have another go at the weekend, doing nowt tonight.

Thanks, Mike.

I'm very glad I have an embankment behind my 'box because the back half of it looks a bit like a zebra from all my colour testing!  :no:

I'm the opposite!

edit due to stupid machine!............having a bad day, best go to bed before anything else goes wrong! :jester: :jester:

Edited by mike61680

Hi Mike, are you having a running session tonight, and if so will we get some more cracking pics mate.

Looking forward as usual.

Hi Andy,

Indeed, I am having a few friends round for a good thrashing! Sounds painful eh!

Had a terrible couple of day's with computer / internet issues, complete nightmare but hopefully solved now.

Received my window etches for the waiting room today so that will be getting started tomorrow, about time did you say?

So if all goes well pic's will follow and if they don't you can give me a good thrashing at Stafford!

• Like 4

Hi Andy,

Indeed, I am having a few friends round for a good thrashing! Sounds painful eh!

Had a terrible couple of day's with computer / internet issues, complete nightmare but hopefully solved now.

Received my window etches for the waiting room today so that will be getting started tomorrow, about time did you say?

So if all goes well pic's will follow and if they don't you can give me a good thrashing at Stafford!

NO     the teas and CREAM CAKES will be on you, ahhaha

Hi all,

Almost a disaster this morning!!!!

Took the signalbox which looked totally wrong in BR Cream and then searched for some suitable white'ish paint, strangely I had no quantity of any white enamel so that is on my shopping list for Stafford! Anyway I found an aerosol of Halfords Citroen white (I have never owned a Citroen?) and began giving a light dusting, after about 4 coats the colour was beginning to look far better, it was then the plague of my old motor trade days came back to haunt me...........the paint had reacted with the previous coat of enamel e.g. probably Cellulose over Enamel - not advisable. Anyway it seems to have concentrated only on the lower back panel, I have scraped it back to the plastic without any problem and recovered it in just the aerosol and fingers crossed it seems okay at the moment. Pic's later hopefully!

Motto - keep car aerosols away from enamels!

Hi guys,

Weekend update....

As you probably read I had a terrible time with the signalbox but here it is repainted Citroen White

post-5296-0-41159500-1422126621.jpg

Still loads to do to it but its much better now thankfully.

post-5296-0-55024400-1422126569.jpg

Another heavy load ex: Workington Steel Mills. In charge of this duty is Standard 4MT 2-6-0 No 76079 piloted by Ivatt 2-6-0 No 43047.

post-5296-0-09870900-1422126575.jpg

post-5296-0-93050800-1422126581.jpg

The crew will be relieved as its all downhill from here to Leeds.

• Like 11

A bit of BR Blue period courtesy of friends loco's...

post-5296-0-89455100-1422127508.jpg

English Electric Type 4... Oh dear slipped there...EE Class 40 No 40141 has charge of another load of steel section from Workington Steel Mill.

post-5296-0-42944800-1422127520.jpg

post-5296-0-92552100-1422127526.jpg

post-5296-0-65596200-1422127536.jpg

The train progresses southward en-route to Leeds.

post-5296-0-97545800-1422127932.jpg

Class 25 No 25034 ambles out of Widdale Tunnel and over the viaduct with a rake of empty 16Ton steel mineral wagons.

post-5296-0-86058600-1422127577.jpg

post-5296-0-31465000-1422127587.jpg

post-5296-0-68247400-1422127592.jpg

post-5296-0-54208100-1422127596.jpg

Heading for Carlisle the empties rattle through Dentdale and the station itself.

more to follow....

• Like 11

post-5296-0-68720100-1422128409.jpg

post-5296-0-74984800-1422128414.jpg

Clayton Type 1 Bo-Bo No D8500 brings a mixed freight southbound out of Rise Hill Tunnel and passes the station. The train will halt at Hellifield.

post-5296-0-36140100-1422128396.jpg

post-5296-0-40466000-1422128401.jpg

Trundling along sedately the Clayton confidently strides southbound.

post-5296-0-42194700-1422128418.jpg

Class 8F No 48154 hauls the Cattle empties en-route to Stranraer

post-5296-0-40394100-1422128424.jpg

Interloper from the Eastern Region in the form of B1 4-6-0 No 61008 'KUDU' is making its way back to the ER via Leeds with a fitted freight.

post-5296-0-54298500-1422128429.jpg

The 8F and B1 pass each other opposite the goods yard

• Like 19

Burns Night tomorrow! I'll hiv tay' dash ooot and get a wee haggis and some tatties n' neeps then practise my famous rendition of Rabbie Burns 'Address to A Haggis'

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face

Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place, 

Painch, tripe, or thairm: 

Weel are ye wordy of a grace 

As lang's my arm.

There are about 5 more verses but I don't really like Haggis!............Sorry it was all just a bad dream!

Here is 45156  'Ayrshire Yeomanry' again in tribute...

post-5296-0-95919100-1422134397_thumb.jpg

And I have just realised I forgot to resize the previous lot of photos' DOH!!! :boast:

• Like 9

Burns Night tomorrow! I'll hiv tay' dash ooot and get a wee haggis and some tatties n' neeps then practise my famous rendition of Rabbie Burns 'Address to A Haggis'

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face

Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place, 

Painch, tripe, or thairm: 

Weel are ye wordy of a grace 

As lang's my arm.

There are about 5 more verses but I don't really like Haggis!............Sorry it was all just a bad dream!

Here is 45156  'Ayrshire Yeomanry' again in tribute...

attachicon.gif2015-01-18 15.00.53.jpg

And I have just realised I forgot to resize the previous lot of photos' DOH!!! :boast:

Tatties, neeps, and good steak mince and onions in a pie are just as good, but don't mix and mash the tatties and neeps together like my wife did :nono:

Thought you were entering the pics in the latest postage stamp competition :jester:

• Like 1

Evening Mike, great sets of Picies there matey, really envious, BUT HANG ON A MO, :O

I too have been running Coal Trains this evening with my mate Jeff, (Binney) and ON VIDEO no less, although I cant get the length without a Storage Yard.

Great work mate, looks terrific.

• Like 2

Morning Mike,

Lovely shots as ever but did the Clayton make it back to the storage yard? They were far from popular in Scotland as I recall, and had a terrible reliability record. Just like the 20's though, their quirky shape makes an interesting model!

I'd assumed that you used the Citroen paint to please me, having run a Citroen Sales department for the last seventeen years Ha Ha! The difference is incredible and with weathering, I don't think it will be too far out!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS : My haggis is ready for tomorrow night's celebration, with the relevant vegetables purchased from the farm shop today. I have my Burns anthology ready, and the page marked. I really do love his poetry, and some of the philosophy contained therein. My dad was a great fan, although I think he rather fancied himself to be a similar rakish rogue at times!

• Like 3