Perhaps the fireman needs a bigger shovel!

Or

Have you tried  cleaning the culprits  wheels with denatured alcohol.

I know what you mean though, my standard 4 mogul couldn't pull a sausage either!! 

Hi Shaun,

What on earth is 'denatured alcohol'? Never heard of it.

I have tried Bullfrog Snot but as its non-conductive it presents its own problems.

• RMweb Premium

one of the guys down at Medford Model Railroad club taught me to clean the track with it. I did this on Dunster at the show on Sunday morning and suddenly everything ran perfectly all day!

The only problem is that it can wash the dirt down into the track joiners so only use a damp cloth wrapped around a small block of wood. If you think your track is clean , try it you'll be amazed.

Morning all, I'm new to this thread, but having read through, wish I had spotted it earlier. I too am building a layout with a helix at either end, I went down the power base route for better traction, but looking at this I think maybe I was a tad hasty.

How long is the total viewable area, thought I read early on it was going to be 16ft, however was there not an extension put on the building?

I am seriously impressed with the trackwork, very nicely built Mike, gives me the inspiration to give it a go myself.

Will keep looking in now I've found it.

Ivan

• Like 2

one of the guys down at Medford Model Railroad club taught me to clean the track with it. I did this on Dunster at the show on Sunday morning and suddenly everything ran perfectly all day!

The only problem is that it can wash the dirt down into the track joiners so only use a damp cloth wrapped around a small block of wood. If you think your track is clean , try it you'll be amazed.

This is great stuff but I'm lazy so bought a CMX track cleaner like this: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-101071/cmx-clean-machine-ho-oo

I swear by mine but it's very heavy so you may swear AT it!!! A pair of class 25's should do the job though even up the helix.

It's very expensive so I'd be happy to "pop down" and give you a loan if you like.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

Methylated spirit.

Hi Jules,

Thanks for that, I never knew it had another name. I always thought it tended to leave a film on things after evaporation so have not tried it on the track.

Hi Shaun,

I'll try to remember! I currently use the Gaugemaster 'Dirt Monkeys' which are attached to a random vehicle in most rakes in the storage yard, regular cleaning of these does help when you see what comes off them! 

Morning all, I'm new to this thread, but having read through, wish I had spotted it earlier. I too am building a layout with a helix at either end, I went down the power base route for better traction, but looking at this I think maybe I was a tad hasty.

How long is the total viewable area, thought I read early on it was going to be 16ft, however was there not an extension put on the building?

I am seriously impressed with the trackwork, very nicely built Mike, gives me the inspiration to give it a go myself.

Will keep looking in now I've found it.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for joining in......

I would advise reading the sections on the helix which can be found in the INDEX (page 1). I found the simple circular helix was totally useless especially for steam loco's and had to elongate them.

The viewable area between tunnels is about 19ft plus the Fell sections over the spiral taking the whole area to about 26ft.

The building was rebuilt the same length as the original but the width was increased by about 18"

The trackwork was the first time I have ever done any handbuilt efforts and though in places not perfect but tweakable I am satisfied with it. If you look at Andrew P's thread 'Bitton' he has also had his first go at it and now has the BUG! Be warned though its about 150 pages and no track is fixed down yet!.... (He does yap a lot but don't tell him you heard it from me)

Hope you enjoy the journey....and do give it a go as you say!

• Like 5

This is great stuff but I'm lazy so bought a CMX track cleaner like this: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-101071/cmx-clean-machine-ho-oo

I swear by mine but it's very heavy so you may swear AT it!!! A pair of class 25's should do the job though even up the helix.

It's very expensive so I'd be happy to "pop down" and give you a loan if you like.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John,

Cheers for the offer but I don't think there is a problem in the track cleanliness as such, its more a problem with indifferent haulage properties of the loco fleet, I just have to constantly check I'm not swapping a good loco for a cr*p one on a heavy train. Diesels don't appear to be too much trouble so its a single Class 45 for the Thames-Clyde and a Jubilee and Class 5 double headed if steam hauled, but IF someone would manufacture a powered Mk1 bogie then this would no doubt help as I said yesterday.

Evening Mike, do you know which Day your going to Stafford yet mate?

I will be there on the Saturday with my old Desdale Road, and may be there on the Sunday as well if I feel up to it.

Hi Andy,

I am currently hoping and planning for the Saturday, look forward to seeing you there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun,

I'll try to remember! I currently use the Gaugemaster 'Dirt Monkeys' which are attached to a random vehicle in most rakes in the storage yard, regular cleaning of these does help when you see what comes off them! 

Hi Guys,

Isopropyl alcohol is even better than methylated spirits ... it kept our tracks running continuously at our Mince Pie weekend ... approx 12 hours of running.

Peter

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for joining in......

If you look at Andrew P's thread 'Bitton' he has also had his first go at it and now has the BUG! Be warned though its about 150 pages and no track is fixed down yet!.... (He does yap a lot but don't tell him you heard it from me)

Hope you enjoy the journey....and do give it a go as you say!

Me  ?????? yAp On A BiT,???? mE?  nO I dOn'T,  :nono:  :boast:  :boast:  :boast:  Don't KnOw wOt YoO mEeEeN, HE hah hahho ha

Hi John,

Cheers for the offer but I don't think there is a problem in the track cleanliness as such, its more a problem with indifferent haulage properties of the loco fleet, I just have to constantly check I'm not swapping a good loco for a cr*p one on a heavy train. Diesels don't appear to be too much trouble so its a single Class 45 for the Thames-Clyde and a Jubilee and Class 5 double headed if steam hauled, but IF someone would manufacture a powered Mk1 bogie then this would no doubt help as I said yesterday.

I'm in the same boat, without a spiral.  However, I do have some fairly wicked grades by accident, and the desire to have trains accelerate like scalded cats.  So, the 21:30 sleeper has a pair of 5's on the front, (one black one, one MT).  The 8P engines will mostly haul 10 coach trains OK on their own, which is a good thing.  I'm not 100%, but I would suspect that a 5P is a bit under-rated for 10 coaches to Carlisle. 

James

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, without a spiral.  However, I do have some fairly wicked grades by accident, and the desire to have trains accelerate like scalded cats.  So, the 21:30 sleeper has a pair of 5's on the front, (one black one, one MT).  The 8P engines will mostly haul 10 coach trains OK on their own, which is a good thing.  I'm not 100%, but I would suspect that a 5P is a bit under-rated for 10 coaches to Carlisle. 

James

Hi James,

My 8P's are in storage as the wheels will not negotiate the finescale track, keeping them just in case I EVER resurrect my 'Bermuda Road' layout. The Jubilees should manage at least a 9 coach train on their own but unfortunately they don't.

I think I may just pick up an old secondhand DMU and swap the driving bogie to a donor Mk1 just to experiment on my theory. If it works and everyone thinks its a great idea then we can get it on the annual 'wish list' and wait the customary ten years for its introduction!  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Peter, re. cleaning the track.

IP is the stuff that was the major constituent in cassette head cleaning fluid (remember cassettes?) and cleans the track without leaving a grotty residue.

About time I did a re-read of your thread, Mike!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought but have you given any consideration to melting brass bearings into the coach bogies so they run more freely? Tim did so with a number if his Bachmann coaches and reported that the running quality was transformed.

He used an old axle, shoulder less bearings on the ends and heated the axle with a soldering iron to melt them in. Difficult part is getting them in parallel

• RMweb Premium

Silly idea Mike and perhaps your most recent post answers what I'm about to say.

Do you already have a DMU with NEM sockets at each end of the power car?

Couldn't you simply swap the power for one of the coaches in the test rake and see what happens? It might look odd but it could test your theory.

Another option where you have more than one of a class and where they don't all perform similarly is to try swapping motors and seeing what happens.

Just a couple of thoughts, the latter based on experience 40+ years ago with Tri-ang X04 motors.

Mike

Two thoughts here:

1. Beetle or Spud - could one (or two!) be mounted on a Mk1 coach. Are they sufficiently narrow to allow you to glue the outer parts of a Bachmann or Hornby bogie on the outside for cosmetic purposes?

2. Do any of the kit makers produce etches for powered bogies for diesel/ DMU etc kits and would they sell the etches seperately? Again graft on cosmetic sides. If not could you fabricate one from brass sheet with suitably mounted gearbox and motor?

Steve

Hi Gang, if you lot want to meet at Deesdale Road, then I'll make sure I'm :O

Hiding in the Toilets, ahhahhahhhahaha

Ah! My suspicions are confirmed!!!!! :nono:  :scared:

Had to get that in quick - you left yourself wide open there mate!

Just a thought but have you given any consideration to melting brass bearings into the coach bogies so they run more freely? Tim did so with a number if his Bachmann coaches and reported that the running quality was transformed.

He used an old axle, shoulder less bearings on the ends and heated the axle with a soldering iron to melt them in. Difficult part is getting them in parallel

Hi Jason,

Have you seen my fiddleyard!

Silly idea Mike and perhaps your most recent post answers what I'm about to say.

Do you already have a DMU with NEM sockets at each end of the power car?

Couldn't you simply swap the power for one of the coaches in the test rake and see what happens? It might look odd but it could test your theory.

Another option where you have more than one of a class and where they don't all perform similarly is to try swapping motors and seeing what happens.

Just a couple of thoughts, the latter based on experience 40+ years ago with Tri-ang X04 motors.

I knew I'd think of that soon - great idea will try it out tomorrow night on our running session. Thanks for that Ray.

• Like 2