Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Mike Kippax ran the trains into position for the photographs, but I didn't actually operate Buckingham. 

Time was a bit tight because I had to follow Steve Flint who was taking pictures for the RM.

I think Buckingham was (and still is) a staggering achievement. I've admitted it's not exactly 'my' sort of layout because it's not an actual prototype, but it couldn't be described as anything else but one of the most influential layouts of my lifetime (I was two when PD started it) and that of any post-War modeller. It really is a fully-operational model railway, which, because it's based on prototype practice is very convincing (am I arguing with myself here?). Fortunately, in the capable hands of Tony Gee, it still runs.

I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Peter Denny again (or Frank Dyer or other contemporaries). The hobby has moved on, of that there's no doubt, and more can participate because it's not as skill-based (out of necessity) as it once was. Peter had to make everything, as did Frank Dyer. They certainly didn't moan about this or that not being available; neither did Bert Collins, the creator of Hitchin. Bert wanted a Tango for Hitchin, so, guess what, he built one. Just like that! At a time when so many layouts one sees today are 'swamped' with RTR and/or RTP, it's so refreshing to see examples of personal craftsmanship, despite its age. I think that's what most appeals to me and why I continue to make things myself, though I wouldn't ever consider myself to be anywhere near in the same company as the three great men I've mentioned. 

The following snapshots show Buckingham in its home environment in Truro. They were taken in 2010. There are also pictures of Peter's work bench and the Automatic Crispin. 

attachicon.gifBuckingham C.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham D.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham E.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham F.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham G.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham K.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham N.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham P.jpg

There's an article on Buckingham in a forthcoming BRM, featuring Andy York's pictures. It'll be well worth looking at. 

Thanks for putting those up Tony, it is a lovely reminder of how things were in the railway room in Truro. Seeing those photos brings it home to me just how much more I need to do but it was always going to be a long term project and now that most of it is working, the pressure is off a bit and I can approach it in a more relaxed manner.

Apart from the photos to go with the article, Andy York has produced a DVD, which will give people a chance to see how the old locos and layout are still running today.

• Like 7

Tony,

Thank you for posting these wonderful images of Buckingham – I've not seen it before in its entirety in the context of a higher altitude view, although I have seen a portion of it at Central Hall. These images are fascinating to study. How PD designed and then built the automatic Crispin is really quite amazing, as is his tiny workspace.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from altering the back of the tender and finding some brakes, the BEC D11 is now complete. 

post-18225-0-06613600-1516718626_thumb.jpg

It's standing on the picture of its prototype, which is in my recently-published book from Booklaw. The low position of the cabside numbers and small BR device are interesting. It should look nice in quite clean lined BR black livery, courtesy of Geoff Haynes. (Steve, I'll have another loco to paint in LNER livery in due course).

All-in-all about 14 hours work saw it to completion, which is a testament to how sound the original castings were, with not too much needed in filing and fiddling to obtain good fits. Soldering (apart from fitting the smokebox door, which can't be done from the inside, hence epoxy) ensured speed of construction.

I'd recommend such an (older) kit, picked up for not too much money, to a relative beginner. The total cost of all this was quite a bit less than the RTR-equivalent; the opposite of what's the norm these days.   

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

Nice D11 but does it have brakes? We used not to worry about such things in days of yore but their omission now is immediately noticeable. Those old kits were a gentle way of introducing us into the world of modelling and it was good too as the result stood direct comparison with the commercial models then available. Using established mechanisms was also a master stroke as the extra body weight made the works perform a whole lot better. We did not care about wheel spokes crank pin throws or even brakes and we just glad to have something that looked like what it was supposed to. Are we any happier now with the high fidelity models with all the bits that fall off when handled?

Thanks to that nice Mr Gee, I have been able to see and operate Buckingham which was a great thrill. I always felt that Grandborough junction was a super layout even though rather contrived to fit the space. It can get very intense there when 3 trains arrive together. PD was a genius and he was also very fortunate to have a life calling which allowed a lot of modelling time something that most of us in out careers lacked.

Thank you for the pictures and the memories. Do you have any more classic layout pictures tucked away in the Wright archives that we may be treated to?

Martin Long

• RMweb Gold

Nice D11 but does it have brakes? We used not to worry about such things in days of yore but their omission now is immediately noticeable. Those old kits were a gentle way of introducing us into the world of modelling and it was good too as the result stood direct comparison with the commercial models then available. Using established mechanisms was also a master stroke as the extra body weight made the works perform a whole lot better. We did not care about wheel spokes crank pin throws or even brakes and we just glad to have something that looked like what it was supposed to. Are we any happier now with the high fidelity models with all the bits that fall off when handled?

Thanks to that nice Mr Gee, I have been able to see and operate Buckingham which was a great thrill. I always felt that Grandborough junction was a super layout even though rather contrived to fit the space. It can get very intense there when 3 trains arrive together. PD was a genius and he was also very fortunate to have a life calling which allowed a lot of modelling time something that most of us in out careers lacked.

Thank you for the pictures and the memories. Do you have any more classic layout pictures tucked away in the Wright archives that we may be treated to?

Martin Long

It will have brakes, Martin; eventually. 

In response to your request....................

post-18225-0-14776400-1516734604_thumb.jpg

Though I don't have any of my own pictures of Marthwaite or Garsdale Road, I did take pictures of David Jenkinson's beautiful Kendal Branch, after his death. 

I've written a piece about him for BRM.

post-18225-0-72194600-1516734724_thumb.jpg

His great friend and co-author of many books, Bob Essery took his own modelling into the realms of Scale Seven with Dewsbury. With locos built by James Harewood, John Horton and Geoff Holt, it was really something.  

post-18225-0-61229800-1516734932_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-46024300-1516734957_thumb.jpg

Borchester was as influential as Buckingham, perhaps more so to me. The stock in these pictures belongs to the team which bought it; none of Frank Dyer's stock went with the layout, which has since been resold.

post-18225-0-58732900-1516735077_thumb.jpg

Bert Collins' Hitchin was also hugely influential. 

post-18225-0-46554500-1516735129_thumb.jpg

But little in the way of layouts had as much influence (and continues to do so) as Peter Denny's Buckingham.

post-18225-0-36992000-1516735236_thumb.jpg

Brilliant modelling of Irish broad gauge, and in P4. Tony Miles' Adavoyle, which worked as well as it looked!

post-18225-0-17975300-1516735357_thumb.jpg

Every picture I took of Andy Calvert's Nether Stowey was shot on film. I only have digital images of his last N Gauge masterpiece, based on the Settle & Carlisle.

post-18225-0-56874700-1516735441_thumb.jpg

No selection would be complete without Tetleys Mills by Dave Shalespeare.

It's sad to relate how many of the creators of the layouts pictured above are now deceased. The hobby is much the poorer for it. 

More to follow.............

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

Tony

It’s good to see the BEC D11 coming on so well. I have a soft spot for the old white metal kits. I think they have a certain presence that makes them stand out ( even if they lack the finesse of modern brass kits). I also like to see old kits finally being built and put to their intended use.

I always struggle with the fitting of brakes to the “slab of brass” type of frames. It would be great if you could illustrate your approach to this.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

More classics.................

post-18225-0-17700800-1516735663_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-38386800-1516735711_thumb.jpg

Ken Payne's essays down the years have also been influential, culminating in his O Gauge Kendale. 

post-18225-0-15229600-1516735782_thumb.jpg

Pendon is an automatic entry, though they insist it's not a 'layout'.

post-18225-0-59699600-1516735838_thumb.jpg

Thankfully, Geoff Kent is still very much alive and well. His seminal Blankeney is simply stunning. 

post-18225-0-95358700-1516735928_thumb.jpg

Barrie Walls' Wallsea would (should) be in any list of classics. 

post-18225-0-48444400-1516735997_thumb.jpg

The Gainsborough Society's massive ECML depiction is worthy of note.

post-18225-0-62979400-1516736072_thumb.jpg

And Trevor Nunn's East Lynn in S Scale is simply wonderful. 

post-18225-0-01996200-1516736426_thumb.jpg

John Birkett Smith's Totnes in H Gauge is a modern classic. 

I'll try and find some more, though much of what I took of older classic layouts - Ken Northwood's North Devon, The Sherwood Section, part of the Keen system and some of the Norris buildings, for instance - was shot on film. 

Tony

It’s good to see the BEC D11 coming on so well. I have a soft spot for the old white metal kits. I think they have a certain presence that makes them stand out ( even if they lack the finesse of modern brass kits). I also like to see old kits finally being built and put to their intended use.

I always struggle with the fitting of brakes to the “slab of brass” type of frames. It would be great if you could illustrate your approach to this.

Jon

Jon,

I'm still working out how....................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

part of Dave Shakespeare's layout, the section with the viaduct I believe, is resident in Essex in the ownership of one of the London Road operators. It may be that part shown in your photo.

A section of one of D J's early 4mm layouts is also nearby in Suffolk. I don't recall which one and have only seen it once. It had apparently been "modified" after it left David's ownership, although that is almost too polite a word. I was surprised at the crudeness of some of the original baseboard woodwork, but it was probably typical of a time when laser cut ply hadn't arrived on the scene.

It is fortunate that these have been "saved", although currently not in use or as as part of a larger layout.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

One layout I used to like seeing in British Railway Modelling was Paul Bason's Pasture Ridings and associated stock.

Robert,

You mean Paston Ridings?

Are you suggesting it's in the same class as those I've illustrated earlier? When I last saw it working (?), I have to say I was not very impressed. The architectural modelling is very good, but non-working signals, locos carrying no lamps, (some) incorrect liveries and poor operation rather militated against it for me. My opinion, of course.

Paul's a very good photographer, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

Tony

Jon

Jon,

Brakes now on...........

post-18225-0-70231700-1516743128_thumb.jpg

I have dozens of spare etched brake frets, so I just chose the most suitable. The trick was to 'under-sling' them, so to speak. I just tinned the base of the frames (with the wheels still on!) and the frets with 145 degree solder, then fixed them on with low-melt. Not the best practice; it should have been done before the wheels went on, but the effect is all right, I think. 

One needs, of course, an extensive spares' box. 

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

Yes I mean Paston Ridings, I was trying to remember the name from the top of my head.

Not quite in the same league which I've never seen it in person.

However from the photos I've seen of it all those years ago which is nearly 20, I've liked it with its industrial/light railway engines meandering through thatched cottages.

I wonder ... might there be a market for a book or two of classic layouts .... perhaps with a history of the hobby structure? There are so many historic masterpieces which unless you are in the know are simply not accessible.

Tony,

There's another book that possibly only you could (and I think should!) write. Who else has seen so many influential layouts and captured them for posterity with film or digital?

These images are just great to see, so inspiring. I'm sure they lift my spirit when I look at many of them. Did you ever photograph:

• Lonsdale

• Wyndlehsam Cove

• Chee Tor

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

It is strange that most of the layouts Tony has shared with us I do not find inspirational. They are lovely well made layouts but seeing them over the years in the modelling press and some at exhibitions have not inspired me. May be it is the subject matter but then even as a diesel modeller I enjoy seeing a steam based layout (and am not too keen on many diesel ones). It is something I cannot explain why so many of the classics are nice but in my mind just nice not earth shattering.

Now to the reason for me posting tonight. Tony is happy for us to show each other on this thread what we are making. I picked a very old project up the other night and each night I am doing about half an hours work on it and sharing my efforts on my Rough Engineering Made Easy thread and the DEMU forum. Well last night one of the perils of scratchbuilding in plastic happened I broke it. It is repairable so I am not worried.

post-16423-0-06402700-1516750694_thumb.jpg

Now had I not been inspired by Mike Cole's scratchbuilt diesels of the 1960s and Gerald Scarborough's plastic card model tanks I could have been rock climbing or stamp collecting.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I do like big Southern Pacifics, I also like my interesting and different industrial locos. Certainly never saw these in everyday use being 32 years of age but being brought up in South London and not far from both the Bluebell and Mid hants railway would have helped my interest in the Southern railway.

Just finished this week finally is a 100hp streamlined Sentinel, one of 6 built in Shrewsbury where I live now.

4mm scale built in etched nickel and whitemetal from one of my RT Models kits, it's compensated and a very smooth slow runner.

It even has opened spectacle rims with laser cut glazing in them.

post-8628-0-04956700-1516751183.jpeg

post-8628-0-75898300-1516751206.jpeg

Below is my next project when I get time, this is the test model.

I'm about to change the gear ratio in one of my full size buses to make it go faster just like it did when first built.

post-8628-0-88053100-1516751218_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

It is strange that most of the layouts Tony has shared with us I do not find inspirational. They are lovely well made layouts but seeing them over the years in the modelling press and some at exhibitions have not inspired me. May be it is the subject matter but then even as a diesel modeller I enjoy seeing a steam based layout (and am not too keen on many diesel ones). It is something I cannot explain why so many of the classics are nice but in my mind just nice not earth shattering.

Now to the reason for me posting tonight. Tony is happy for us to show each other on this thread what we are making. I picked a very old project up the other night and each night I am doing about half an hours work on it and sharing my efforts on my Rough Engineering Made Easy thread and the DEMU forum. Well last night one of the perils of scratchbuilding in plastic happened I broke it. It is repairable so I am not worried.

attachicon.gif100_4725a.jpg

Now had I not been inspired by Mike Cole's scratchbuilt diesels of the 1960s and Gerald Scarborough's plastic card model tanks I could have been rock climbing or stamp collecting.

Mike Cole was a fellow member of Leeds MRS and the proprietor of Q Kits. When I was an impecunious student he sold me a kit for the Metro-Vick gas turbine 18100, with a slightly damaged body moulding, for a very low price. I still have it, although it no longer has the original chassis. I never saw the exhibition version of Sundown and Sprawling but many of Mike's locos put in an appearance on the LMRS Leeds Victoria layout in the late 70s/early 80s.

• Like 1

Mike Kippax ran the trains into position for the photographs, but I didn't actually operate Buckingham. 

Time was a bit tight because I had to follow Steve Flint who was taking pictures for the RM.

I think Buckingham was (and still is) a staggering achievement. I've admitted it's not exactly 'my' sort of layout because it's not an actual prototype, but it couldn't be described as anything else but one of the most influential layouts of my lifetime (I was two when PD started it) and that of any post-War modeller. It really is a fully-operational model railway, which, because it's based on prototype practice is very convincing (am I arguing with myself here?). Fortunately, in the capable hands of Tony Gee, it still runs.

I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Peter Denny again (or Frank Dyer or other contemporaries). The hobby has moved on, of that there's no doubt, and more can participate because it's not as skill-based (out of necessity) as it once was. Peter had to make everything, as did Frank Dyer. They certainly didn't moan about this or that not being available; neither did Bert Collins, the creator of Hitchin. Bert wanted a Tango for Hitchin, so, guess what, he built one. Just like that! At a time when so many layouts one sees today are 'swamped' with RTR and/or RTP, it's so refreshing to see examples of personal craftsmanship, despite its age. I think that's what most appeals to me and why I continue to make things myself, though I wouldn't ever consider myself to be anywhere near in the same company as the three great men I've mentioned. 

The following snapshots show Buckingham in its home environment in Truro. They were taken in 2010. There are also pictures of Peter's work bench and the Automatic Crispin. 

attachicon.gifBuckingham C.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham D.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham E.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham F.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham G.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham K.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham N.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham P.jpg

There's an article on Buckingham in a forthcoming BRM, featuring Andy York's pictures. It'll be well worth looking at. 

Hi Tony- 

Having just caught up with these last few pages this morning I couldnt resist endorsement of your observations about Buckingham, PD,and this wonderful layout's influence on the hobby. And I say this from afar having never met PD but having read many of his magazine articles and one of the several Buckingham books.

I have had the fortune to visit Tony Gee and operate the revised Buckingham three times over the last few years when visiting UK from New Zealand. I also got to travel up from Kings Cross to Doncaster along your beloved ECML, even though I must confess to not being that familar with the various localities along it as the Virgin train sped north and south.

I can describe experiencing Tony's welcome to a old fella from the colonies, his hospitality and then sitting down to try and operate the layout by working through each timetable move, following the old typed out and/or handwritten amendments to the timetable, as a very memorable and enjoyable experience (....following the sequence does certainly raise challenges for those of us not familar with its operation and the various codes, signal or point numbers etc etc).

I look forward to seeing Tony again when I can fit this into my travel plans, and continuing my education on one of the UK's great, iconic layouts.

regards Andy R

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony- 

Having just caught up with these last few pages this morning I couldnt resist endorsement of your observations about Buckingham, PD,and this wonderful layout's influence on the hobby. And I say this from afar having never met PD but having read many of his magazine articles and one of the several Buckingham books.

I have had the fortune to visit Tony Gee and operate the revised Buckingham three times over the last few years when visiting UK from New Zealand. I also got to travel up from Kings Cross to Doncaster along your beloved ECML, even though I must confess to not being that familar with the various localities along it as the Virgin train sped north and south.

I can describe experiencing Tony's welcome to a old fella from the colonies, his hospitality and then sitting down to try and operate the layout by working through each timetable move, following the old typed out and/or handwritten amendments to the timetable, as a very memorable and enjoyable experience (....following the sequence does certainly raise challenges for those of us not familar with its operation and the various codes, signal or point numbers etc etc).

I look forward to seeing Tony again when I can fit this into my travel plans, and continuing my education on one of the UK's great, iconic layouts.

regards Andy R

Many thanks for the kind words Andy. You will be made most welcome again any time.

Having the layout has given me a great opportunity to meet some really good people I would probably have never met otherwise, which is a real bonus to my ending up looking after it. Including your good self!

• Like 1

Since we're showing each other our projects, I thought I'd put my DMU project 'out there'

Since the last post I've been making A LOT of progress. I've installed interior detail in the DBMS, and I've also started erecting the DTC car. More details will still need to be added, but this will be a simple fix. I still have to perfect the underframe detail and decide what I want to do about the roof details, plus I am planning on starting to make the bogies too. The fronts have been altered to look more like that of a Class 111 unit

post-32712-0-92579600-1516756146_thumb.png

A general view of the new 2 carriage unit. In vision is the underframe detail on the DBMS, plus the interior dividers and seating.

post-32712-0-63904900-1516756169_thumb.png

A view of the roof vents on both cars, these being the shell variety fitted to Class 101 and Cravens units. Note that the arrangement is identical on both cars.

post-32712-0-97597800-1516756175_thumb.png

A better view of the interior detail fitted into the set. I'm not exactly how accurate this is in terms of authenticity though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

More can be found in my Workbench thread (see my signature).

• Like 3

Many thanks for the kind words Andy. You will be made most welcome again any time.

Having the layout has given me a great opportunity to meet some really good people I would probably have never met otherwise, which is a real bonus to my ending up looking after it. Including your good self!

Cheers Tony G

Andy R

Would be really interested to see the layouts which you have found inspiring Clive .... and of course the reasons why.

Not only would this be of interest .... but I also find understanding the reasons behind why people appreciate something (particularly when at first I don't) broadens my own appreciation and understanding.

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

There's another book that possibly only you could (and I think should!) write. Who else has seen so many influential layouts and captured them for posterity with film or digital?

These images are just great to see, so inspiring. I'm sure they lift my spirit when I look at many of them. Did you ever photograph:

• Lonsdale

• Wyndlehsam Cove

• Chee Tor

I photographed Chee Tor (of course, I should have included that), but not the others. 

Wyndlesham Cove was Barry Norman's work. I did take pictures of his S Scale Lydham Heath.

When I wrote my book A Lifetime with Locomotives and Layouts (which sold reasonably well - thanks to all who bought it), I included many pictures of layouts I found most inspiring (though not all of them - there were too many!).  Obviously, these were layouts I'd photographed as well. The list comprised...............

Midsomer Norton

Kendal Castle

Dewsbury

Totnes

Burntisland

Knutsford

Cheddar

East Lynn

Bromsgrove

Brockholes

Coldrennick Road

Teign House Sidings

Bagborough West

Dewsbury Midland

Chee Tor

Runswick Leamside (one for Clive!)

Runswick Bay

Pendon

Ballyclare

Greystones

Knockmore Junction

Adavoyle

Kilbrandon

Urlingford

Copenhagen Fields

Halifax King Cross

Holiday Haunts

Dainton

Gamston Bank

Layouts featuring MPDs (including diesels) comprising Peterborough, Eastgate MPD, Buxton, Engine Shed Road, Sowerby Road, The Gresley Beat, Pete Waterman's shed scene, Kensal Green, Maindee East, St. Marnock, Tolcarn and A Shop

Alloa

Allan Downes' steelworks

Ambergate

East Wheal Dream

Gifford Street

Burnden Park

Heyside

Bucks Hill

Borchester Market

Somweir Junction

Oakhurst

Harlyn Road

Rothern Bridge

Tetleys Mills

Kendale

Kings Cross

Pempoul

Lydham Heath

Stodmarsh

East Dean

Bangor

County Gate

Monks Eleigh

Bath Green Park

Hitchin

Retford

Blakeney

Bramblewick

I'm not sure whether there'd be another book on 'Classic Layouts', though there are many more I could add to the list (not to mention those examples I shot on film). 

I'll make some enquiries.......................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2