Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

I keep on thinking about how a fictitious Swansea Central railway station would look, it was proposed a few times, but obviously nothing came of it.

A mix of gwr, lnwr, midland, but which company would have the biggest input?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Two layouts I wish I had seen: Wickham by Chris Matthewman and Eastfleet by a member of Wakefield Railway Modelling Society (I think). Both exuded atmosphere in the photos. 

The only other is a current one: Ballyconnell Road. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Morning Tony,

Knowing how much you like to see people actually building things ...

PXL_20240821_233727979.jpg.ff4cdca72e36b74a656c63fd2cd1b45d.jpg

I have - finally - completed building this LMS Fairburn tank. Entirely scratch built (other than the usual wheels, fittings, etc)

I say 'finally', as I first started it 35 years ago!! In those days, there was no RTR equivalent so it felt a little different (!) Anyhow, I resolved at New Year to finish it, so here she is. I like to think that my standards have improved in that time, so one or two aspects from 35 years ago probably don't bear too much close inspection ... (although the unintended wrinkly tank sides might be more like the prototype than the RTR version, perhaps?)

More pictures on my Hills of the North thread.

I think those wrinkly tank sides are brilliant and definitely more prototypical than the RTR verion! Trying to model that effect is on my to-do list - you must be very pleased to have to have done it unintentionally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Another layout based on a prototype, but not an actual 'copy' is Robert Dudley Cooke's Kingstorre in EM...........

But it shouts out Dawlish!

If anyone can give me names of layouts they've found 'inspirational', I'll see if I've got photographs of them. 

Always good to see photos of Kingstorre, quite possibly my favourite layout and such an inspiration.  Wish my daughter's school had a layout of this quality hidden away in the basement! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mullie said:

How about Pendlebury in P4 (I think that is what it was called) and  the Berrow Branch?

Martyn

It was reading the Railway Modeller article in Pendlebury (c 1980?) that rekindled my interest in railway modelling for the first time since I was a teenager. 

At the time I didn’t understand the track gauge issues though. 

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard_A said:

I keep on thinking about how a fictitious Swansea Central railway station would look, it was proposed a few times, but obviously nothing came of it.

A mix of gwr, lnwr, midland, but which company would have the biggest input?

There was a proposal in the late1880s, approved of by the local Council,  for a “Nottingham Central Station” which would have rescued both the Midland and the Great Northern (and by extension therefore the LNWR, North Staffs and Nottingham Suburban railways, and later the Great Central) from their locations well outside the City Centre. 

For those who know the area, it would have run roughly to the north of Parliament Street - imagine if you will that the 1890s Victoria Station pivoted at its bottom end from a north-south to an east-west axis. 

It never happened - I think an economic recession took hold before anyone had to make their minds up- but as a “might-have-been” for anyone looking for a sizeable multi-company station with several routes to model, I think it would be a real go-er. 

If anyone’s interested l’ll see if I can dig out the diagram. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

In terms of convincing the viewer, Tony, you could be right about Copenhagen Fields, but perhaps mainly for those who know the area (or knew the area when it looked like that).

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And watching The Lady Killers...........

The thing about Copenhagen Fields for me is that is effectively a 3D, colour version of all of those evocative black and white images from Eric Treacy (and others).     

I suppose the fact that ~8 miles up the line was home turf for me in my young trainspotting days so I knew the area well seals the deal for me.

We had CF a number of times at the CMRA shows over the years which gave me plenty of opportunity for extended gawping to soak up the atmosphere.

Alan

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mullie said:

How about Pendlebury in P4 (I think that is what it was called) and  the Berrow Branch?

Martyn

The Berrow Branch has to have my vote because it was the first layout I saw where the models ran faultlessly.  When I started building my own models I aspired to recreate the same faultless running.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning David,

They're a great improvement on the earlier Heljan O2s.................

HeljansO226393863945.jpg.c41195c5ec63fa901104be3c239ab9d8.jpgAs before, an O2/4 is catered for (top, ex-O2/2).

Improvements include all-metal handrail pillars, black-painted rather than just black plastic bodywork, a more-robust (adjustable) drawbar, more-accurate and more-robust valve gear, blackened wheel rims and pick-ups, better chimney and greater attention to QC at source.

Regards,

Tony.

Tony

A couple of comments on the latest Heljan O2s which of course I've only seen in photos. More-accurate valve gear - I don't think so. More robust probably as I understand they changed the metal its made from but it still has the glaring anomaly of a fixed right angle at the front end of the eccentric rod. Better chimney - not from the photos I've seen. However, I do look forward to seeing one as one friend of mine has ordered one.

I only hope a range of spare parts will be available, as they were previously, so I can convert a very cheap damaged O2/3 model I got a couple of years ago into a 1930s period O2/1. 

Of the 3 LNER 2-8-0 models available I rate the Hornby O1 as the best model with the Bachmann O4 second. Maybe Heljan's improvements will make the O2s equal second? One significant benefit from Heljan of course is that they provide a wide range of O2 variants. Something Bachmann could do with the O4, eg O4/7, O4/8 but haven't. I suppose at least Bachmann has produced an upgraded model of an original ROD as well as GWR//WR RODs.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I really wonder what some critics expect from current RTR locomotives. I agree there are some issues, but every new model locomotive I've been asked to review of late has been really good; in terms of appearance and performance. They're light years beyond what was thought excellent years ago, and far, far better than the majority of kit-built equivalents. Lining too thick/incorrect? Then do better yourself, and please show us. Lubricator drive too thick? Then make it yourself, to scale, and see how it holds together under power, proving it with a video. 

I've been asked to review Heljan's latest manifestations of its O2s. The originals were not too good in many respects, but these issues appear to have been attended to in these latest models. I can see some potential points of criticisms, but here goes...............

HeljansO226393801.jpg.baf57ef3dd557757c527920f44fca3ab.jpg

The O2/2 version in early BR guise.

HeljansO226393803.jpg.7275d747c95a01c26fc158f7bfa62421.jpg

An extremely good puller.

HeljansO226393804.jpg.23ed210781b88e066c9f9a18993de8da.jpg

Might the numbers/branding be a little big? 

HeljansO246394501.jpg.f7c0382cc27972896ab838b43960470a.jpg

The O2/4 version (ex-O2/2, now with B1 boiler and side-window cab).

HeljansO246394503.jpg.57ba37424aadf9503040abcc626a7a0c.jpg

HeljansO246394505.jpg.f71b0d85ab17137a0ae0692caea80597.jpg

An equally good puller. 

Both these models run superbly. 

Sorry for any confusion.  I meant to say nothing in that post to insult Hornby, and my goal was to only really compare Hornby to other RTR manufacturers.  Many manufacturers can do LNER lining much better, and ditto for the tinplate coupling/conrods.  I only gripe that Hornby were so close to an absolutely beautiful model that only few could see major issues with, but they cut just a few corners, which is psychological (people get more upset if they miss by a slim margin than a large one), but the result of such few tweaks could greatly improve how the model looks, and most manufacturers will tool up new rods more frequently than ever ~22 years, as they really ought to with how good the rest of a model produced today compares to that old valve gear.  One last thing,  Hornby's valve gear in my experience doesn't always hold up to the output force of their motors, or heavy slipping, which I guess is somewhat realistic, but I digress. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

There was a proposal in the late1880s, approved of by the local Council,  for a “Nottingham Central Station” which would have rescued both the Midland and the Great Northern (and by extension therefore the LNWR, North Staffs and Nottingham Suburban railways, and later the Great Central) from their locations well outside the City Centre. 

For those who know the area, it would have run roughly to the north of Parliament Street - imagine if you will that the 1890s Victoria Station pivoted at its bottom end from a north-south to an east-west axis. 

It never happened - I think an economic recession took hold before anyone had to make their minds up- but as a “might-have-been” for anyone looking for a sizeable multi-company station with several routes to model, I think it would be a real go-er. 

If anyone’s interested l’ll see if I can dig out the diagram. 

That sounds interesting,  I have a rough idea of whereabouts in Swansea the Station might have been located, it's an interesting proposal to merit further thinking in my opinion. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hi Tony @Tony Wright

Holiday Haunts was a favourite of mine  , 7mm and stock that was mouthwatering.

Good morning Robin,

Most of my shots of Holiday Haunts were taken on medium-format film/transparency, so I can't show them on here.

I'll go through my old computer's files and see if I can find the few digital images I took.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning,

I have no pictures of Wickham, and any of Eastfleet are on transparency.

However,

BallyconnellRoad02.jpg.979c41c8ec7fb2c5e95fc3cb92da8b86.jpg

BallyconnellRoad03.jpg.6c0299f1c222ea2c5191417844b47ae7.jpg

BallyconnellRoad11.jpg.3625921c39cf29128a1844004834b55f.jpg

I do have a few digital images of Ballyconnell Road.

Regards,

Tony. 

Funny, isn't it? Ballyconnell Road looks fabulous in photos but when I saw it at Warley last year it didn't work for me - it was very small and no matter how I looked at it, there always seemed to be too much "off-stage" distraction.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

It never happened - I think an economic recession took hold before anyone had to make their minds up

I suspect it foundered on a combination of Watkin's personality and the fact that the only sensible joint Midland/GC/GN station (using a high level/low level strategy) would be where the GCR crosses the Midland - which is at the Midland station! Anything else costs the Midland a fortune, and does not improve their services much.

• Like 3