Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

My pointing out any 'errors' in anyone's work (including my own, after others have spotted them - there are many!) is not to have a 'pop' at anyone but to be constructively-critical. Like it or not, many seem to 'use' this thread as a source of reference; a reference for building their own models. Granted, one should never model a model, but they can form a reference point. 

Regarding K3s, by the way, even though the Bachmann model is only suitable for later builds (the majority, to be fair) with LH drive and the larger cab, I've seen many examples where it's been renumbered to an earlier example. There's always the exception, of course; at least one, 61811, from the earlier series, was altered to LH drive, though it still retained the earlier style of cab. 

I might well have an etch for the earlier style of cab. If I can find it, you're welcome to it. 

You need never be concerned about posting images of your work on Wws..............

LRMJ66417705B.jpg.5f01119f901b43e947e5a7ae0347b5ad.jpg

Modelling/weathering to this standard is inspirational!

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony

Please don’t think that I’m not appreciative of you pointing out the faults in the modelling that appears on here as I’ve certainly learned a great deal about Eastern Region modelling from the posts on this thread, but I also still have much to learn too, so it’s inevitable that more clangers will appear when I post on here.  If you do find a large window cab I’d be more than happy to make a  suitable donation to CRUK to cover any inconvenience and also to cover any postage costs.

Kind regards

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, trw1089 said:

Thanks Tony

Please don’t think that I’m not appreciative of you pointing out the faults in the modelling that appears on here as I’ve certainly learned a great deal about Eastern Region modelling from the posts on this thread, but I also still have much to learn too, so it’s inevitable that more clangers will appear when I post on here.  If you do find a large window cab I’d be more than happy to make a  suitable donation to CRUK to cover any inconvenience and also to cover any postage costs.

Kind regards

Tony

Good afternoon Tony,

I'll have a look for the K3 cabs after the weekend. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

One thing I'll be taking with me to the Loughborough show over the weekend is the loco I mentioned a day or two ago. It's a Nu-Cast K Class 2-6-0.............

Nu-CastK01.jpg.df8052db62bd608e6f4ef1e4e784a971.jpg

I got it running, once I'd sorted out the rods and installed pick-ups.

The builder had installed a High-Level drive which is very-sweet.

Nu-CastK02.jpg.c88d7f0b64a4936e38332a944217dc58.jpg

However, it might have been better to arrange the drive differently because a section of the boiler's base will need removal. 

I soldered the boiler to the firebox.

Nu-CastK03.jpg.a840558281a209cb049bda24e06da695.jpg

With a section removed, the assembly now sits on the footplate/chassis (though a fair bit of work will be needed to get a clean joint at the firebox's base).  

The tender had been made already, and primed. 

Apparently, there's to be an RTR model of this class. What's left?

I'll be at Loughborough both days (though not Mo - she's still gardening!). I hope to see anyone there. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony and everyone

In the next few days, I will be offering the attached Isinglass Quint Art kit for sale to best offer via RMweb Marketplace (which is only available to RMweb Gold Members).

Please do not make any bids to me here or until it is listed - just to be fair to all - but I'll be happy to answer queries etc via a PM to me.

My reason for 'pre-announcing' is that if the item is 'won' by any Wright Writes contributor, I will make a donation to Tony's CRUK appeal. (If you do make an offer, make sure you tell me who you are!)

All the best

Brian

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Apparently, there's to be an RTR model of this class. What's left?

Have an enjoyable show Tony. Yes the list of ready to run just goes on.

I know I bang on about the Urie H15 4-6-0s all the time but surely with all those class variations around a common 4-6-0 arrangement a manufacturer, with some clever design work, can more than cover development costs?

Kind regards,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony, 30368 and everyone

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 - the last one to run before we run again around Christmas this year - we listed 35 SR & Constituents steam locos.

7 were in The Top 50 (including the K Class);

16 were High Polling

6 were Middle Polling; and

6 were Low Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2024 at 07:11, NZRedBaron said:

Huh; the version I had heard was that he was looking at something like an Ivatt C12.

I bow to your far more impressive knowledge, Sir....

You are indeed correct - his friend Colin Morris (District Traction Engineer) gently steered him towards the J52; the only other Ivatt** in the Shed was the C12 and it's beauty was only skin-deep - it was unserviceable and couldn't even be steamed.  The J52, however, had been shopped within the past year and ticked all the boxes as regards being economical to run, not too big to house and not too heavy when faced with repair.

**Bill Smith had a preference for an Ivatt.

Kind Regards,

Brian

p.s. Much (ok, all) of the above was cribbed from the book - I'm not that clever.....

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 30368 said:

I know I bang on about the Urie H15 4-6-0s all the time but surely with all those class variations around a common 4-6-0 arrangement a manufacturer, with some clever design work, can more than cover development costs?

Might the issue be that there were only 26 of these locos and my understanding is that there are at least 3 variations within the class as well as several tender types - so producing an RTR model might be overly complex and / or expensive.

There is or was a DJH kit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trw1089 said:

I’ve certainly learned a great deal about Eastern Region modelling from the posts on this thread

May I suggest that anyone modelling LNER steam or it's constituents acquires a set of the RCTS Locos of the LNER. - The Green Bible(s). Details of variations within a class are fully covered along with a mass of other information.Second hand copies are fairly easy to obtain.

The set ran into 11 volumes, with sub divisions, and I started my set in the mid 60's when still a schoolboy! The final volume (they did not appear in numerical order) appeared several years later.

I believe the RCTS have very generously made digital versions freely available on their website - you do not have to be a member.

As to the different K3 cab sides these are of course covered together with drawings.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

May I suggest that anyone modelling LNER steam or it's constituents acquires a set of the RCTS Locos of the LNER. - The Green Bible(s). Details of variations within a class are fully covered along with a mass of other information.Second hand copies are fairly easy to obtain.

The set ran into 11 volumes, with sub divisions, and I started my set in the mid 60's when still a schoolboy! The final volume (they did not appear in numerical order) appeared several years later.

I believe the RCTS have very generously made digital versions freely available on their website - you do not have to be a member.

As to the different K3 cab sides these are of course covered together with drawings.

Even better, Yeadon's LNER Locomotive history used as a companion to the RCTS history is an ideal way to have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Thanks Keith, purchased the bundle and downloading now.  I never knew the green books were available digitally.  I have the relevant Yeadons for what I model, but had avoided purchasing the green books because I could never get the volumes I needed for a reasonable price.  50 quid for the lot via pdf means they are also all searchable too, which to me is even more useful.

Thanks also to jrg1, my Yeadons are well thumbed through and a constant reference, but they aren't quite as comprehensive for understanding all the details as I would like.  Now that I have both RCTS and Yeadons, hopefully accuracy will continue to improve!

Kind regards

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Thanks Keith, purchased the bundle and downloading now.  I never knew the green books were available digitally.  I have the relevant Yeadons for what I model, but had avoided purchasing the green books because I could never get the volumes I needed for a reasonable price.  50 quid for the lot via pdf means they are also all searchable too, which to me is even more useful.

Thanks also to jrg1, my Yeadons are well thumbed through and a constant reference, but they aren't quite as comprehensive for understanding all the details as I would like.  Now that I have both RCTS and Yeadons, hopefully accuracy will continue to improve!

Kind regards

Tony

That's your bedtime reading sorted for a week or three.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I never knew the green books were available digitally.

Nor did I. I checked and the GWR ones are available too...

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's your bedtime reading sorted for a week or three.

...so for just 30 quid my bedtime reading's sorted too!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Might the issue be that there were only 26 of these locos and my understanding is that there are at least 3 variations within the class as well as several tender types - so producing an RTR model might be overly complex and / or expensive.

Four variants, actually.  And six of the locos were pretty well confined to Salisbury shed as the firemen retained the skill to fire the Drummond firebox.  Rather an excess of "fire" but I'm off to Southwark Bridge in a minute.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Even better, Yeadon's LNER Locomotive history used as a companion to the RCTS history is an ideal way to have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject.

Additionally, I have a copy of the GNR Society publication, GNR Locomotive Tenders.  A comprehensive history of the subject from the early days to the first eight-wheelers.  Highly recommended; in fact, just as indispensable as the RCTS and Yeadon.

Now,  if we could have a similar publication on the standard Midland/LMS six-wheel tender?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

Far easier would be the Urie version of the S15.

IIRC, Hornby intimated that, as with the King Arthurs, they intended to produce the original locos too, but there have been at least two regime changes since then.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Four variants, actually.  And six of the locos were pretty well confined to Salisbury shed as the firemen retained the skill to fire the Drummond firebox.  Rather an excess of "fire" but I'm off to Southwark Bridge in a minute.  Bill

Enjoy Southwark Bridge Bill. I have not visited but have the SW Circle Monograph describing the layout and its rolling stock - it is truly a great piece of work.

Re the H15. In total there are 5 variations with significant physical variations. Hornby (There are other model railway suppliers) produce Urie and Maunsell variations of the N15 and the Maunsell variation of the S15.

The wheelbase of the S15 is identical to the Urie first 10 X H15s and the Maunsell (The DJH kit is for this variation) 10 x H15. The Urie taper boiler fitted to the N15/S15 is the same as that fiitted to the Maunsell H15 and to Urie H15 number 30491 from 1927.

If Hornby developed a Maunsell H15 they could use the S15 chassis and adapt the running plate to accept larger driving wheels (6 ft, the same for all H15s) and a splasher. The appropriate tender for these locomotives is already a standard Hornby product.

A Hornby Urie H15 would be more problematic. It would require a new parallel boiler and a running plate with a raised section over the cylinders. (If the latter was manufactured in two sections it could cater for a Urie version of the S15 too) Whilst the cab roof of the Urie N15 could be used for an H15 it would require new cab sidesheets since the profile is different from that fitted to the N15. 30491 could also be catered for by the adoption of the Maunsell taper boiler from the S15 and slightly revised boiler fixing at the firebox end.

The above would cater for 3 of the 5 variations of H15 and a Urie S15 too.

THe two other variations of H15 are much more problematic since they all have a slightly different wheelbase (+6", 2mm) between the centre and trailing driving wheel to cater for the long firebox of the Drummond boilers re-used for these rebuilds.

I think I should stop now, my obsession is only too apparant. I need to relax for a while...

Kind regards, and thanks Tony for a brief LSWR takover....

PS I should add that Paul at PDK kits covers all of the H15 variations with some intelligent mix and match between his kits. I have used his kits to produce all five variations.

Edited by 30368
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Enjoy Southwark Bridge Bill. I have not visited but have the SW Circle Monograph describing the layout and its rolling stock - it is truly a great piece of work.

Re the H15. In total there are 5 variations with significant physical variations. Hornby (There are other model railway suppliers) produce Urie and Maunsell variations of the N15 and the Maunsell variation of the S15.

The wheelbase of the S15 is identical to the Urie first 10 X H15s and the Maunsell (The DJH kit is for this variation) 10 x H15. The Urie taper boiler fitted to the N15/S15 is the same as that fiitted to the Maunsell H15 and to Urie H15 number 30491 from 1927.

If Hornby developed a Maunsell H15 they could use the S15 chassis and adapt the running plate to accept larger driving wheels (6 ft, the same for all H15s) and a splasher. The appropriate tender for these locomotives is already a standard Hornby product.

A Hornby Urie H15 would be more problematic. It would require a new parallel boiler and a running plate with a raised section over the cylinders. (If the latter was manufactured in two sections it could cater for a Urie version of the S15 too) Whilst the cab roof of the Urie N15 could be used for an H15 it would require new cab sidesheets since the profile is different from that fitted to the N15. 30491 could also be catered for by the adoption of the Maunsell taper boiler from the S15 and slightly revised boiler fixing at the firebox end.

THe two other variations of H15 are much more problematic since they all have a slightly different wheelbase (+6", 2mm) between the centre and trailing driving wheel to cater for the long firebox of the Drummond boilers re-used for these rebuilds.

I think I should stop now, my obsession is only too apparant. I need to relax for a while...

Doing the Drummond rebuilds might be stretching things a bit, but not much more than Hornby has done with the Thompson Pacifics and that thing with the funny boiler....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

PS I should add that Paul at PDK kits covers all of the H15 variations with some intelligent mix and match between his kits. I have used his kits to produce all five variations.

I haven't measured up the wheelbase of a Hornby S15. However, if the S15 coupled wheelbase is to a scale 6ft 3inches by 7ft 6inches it would be physically impossible to fit the 6ft driving wheels of the H15. Similar to the GWR Castle problem, but possibly even more acute.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

I haven't measured up the wheelbase of a Hornby S15. However, if the S15 coupled wheelbase is to a scale 6ft 3inches by 7ft 6inches it would be physically impossible to fit the 6ft driving wheels of the H15. Similar to the GWR Castle problem, but possibly even more acute.

No I have not done so either. The H15's that I have built using both wheelbase options provided in the PDK kit require some wheel flange reduction (Markits don't know about Gibsons) on the leading and trailing wheelsets to provide clearance. So I agree with your suggestion it would be tricky. I really don't think that Hornby will be tempted to introduce an H15 based on my ramblings....

They could though go for a Urie S15 which would sell fairly well for not a lot of investment...

Kind regards,

• Like 3

I am spending this weekend at the Expo EM Summer exhibition which has been relocated at very short notice to my club’s old exhibition stomping ground of the Baildon Recreation Centre, Green Lane , Shipley.  
The EMGS have put on yet another excellent show (in my opinion) and I am delighted to have met up with several of the regular contributors to WW.  
The show has excellent layouts, traders who sell the things that finescale modellers need (no box shifters), and demonstrators who are leading lights in their specialist subjects. 
If you are free tomorrow why not drive up or catch a train to Shipley… Please come and say hello if you do.

Regards,

Frank

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

Day two of my 4 in 8 "Freedom of the North West" rover ticket - an observation of Northern life !!!!!

An early morning Pendolino Wigan to Carlisle was found to be packed full, no seats, sod this so off I got at Preston and scanned the board. In 5 mins was a Blackpool - York train over a route I have never been, (Rose Grove to Todmorden over the Copy Pit line) on a superb swish Class 195. Another well filled train but I managed to get a decent seat. I like the seating arrangements on these trains. Just a little late into Leeds and straight on to a 158 for (yes again) the run up to Carlisle. This is where the "Thank god it's Saturday" fun started !!

3 lads with beer joined at Leeds, though quite well behaved, off to a boozy day in Skipton started discussing rugby league. Wigan was mentioned, being a Wiganer in deepest Yorkshire I kept my trap shut. A little later at Kirkby Stephen a group of ladies joined, cans of cider this time, day out in Carlisle (Whoo Hoo !!!!). The things they get up to in Kirkby Stephen !!!!!!

Ahh well, it's 13.35, time for my packed lunch. A bit early for a Pendolino home to Wigan, only one other choice, the coast line down to Barrow. Off on time at 1408 for a "relaxing" run down the coast. All was quiet and serene untill Whitehaven when a large group of noisy, scantilly clad women joined, Out with the Vodka bottle etc though yet again all well behaved but very noisy. Mayhem at ticket checking time !!. One asked me where I was going - Preston I replied, better not mention Wigan to a group of Whitehaven girls some of whom were built like Rugby League forwards !!!! Thankfully they got off (!!!!) at Workington.

We got delayed at St Bees and I feared the tight connection at Barrow for the Manchester Airport train. Fear not the guard came on the intercom saying the train would wait for us - well done Northern Rail. A swift run down to Preston followed on another swish 195 with more groups joining at various small stations in the middle of nowhere for a night out in Lancaster, then at Preston 5 minute connection to a London bound Pendo for the 14 minute final leg home (and safety !!). 

And I thought Wigan was bad on a Saturday night !!!!!!!

Next day out Monday, no boozers I hope, they'll have thick heads and thin wallets with a bit of luck !!

Brit15

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 16/08/2024 at 20:23, Tony Teague said:

Good morning Tony,

Regarding the SR K Class which I'm building, having looked through all my books on Southern locos (I have quite a few), the type does seem to have a number of variations, including tenders (with open coal rails or plated behind), original or cut-down cab, number of domes, different heights of domes and chimney, positions of clacks, styles of buffers and positions of Westinghouse pump, not to mention styles and positions of lamp/disc brackets. Quite a detailed minefield! The parts do seem to cater for most variations. 

The kit is from Nu-Cast and partners, ex-? Didn't Jidenco do a K? 

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

Regarding the SR K Class which I'm building, having looked through all my books on Southern locos (I have quite a few), the type does seem to have a number of variations, including tenders (with open coal rails or plated behind), original or cut-down cab, number of domes, different heights of domes and chimney, positions of clacks, styles of buffers and positions of Westinghouse pump, not to mention styles and positions of lamp/disc brackets. Quite a detailed minefield! The parts do seem to cater for most variations. 

The kit is from Nu-Cast and partners, ex-? Didn't Jidenco do a K? 

Regards,

Tony.

Bit confusing in that you quoted Tony Teague’s comments regarding the LSWR H15, rather than the LBSCR K, by mistake. 

Thanks for pointing out the buffer changes - I hadn’t noticed that some received square bases from, it would seem, the forties. The Westinghouse brake pump didn’t change position, it was the larger Weir pump on the nearside of the boiler that was removed in the early fifties.

It was Mallard who produced an etched brass kit for the K, thankfully I think Jidenco passed on that one. Purely for the sake of completeness I should mention that there is currently a 4mm brass kit available from Ace Products.

• Like 1