Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Captain Bill Smith (who saved and preserved J52 68846) had originally hoped to save a much larger Loco (A3?) but those "in the shed" steered him towards the J52 as being much more sensible.

Huh; the version I had heard was that he was looking at something like an Ivatt C12.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

Huh; the version I had heard was that he was looking at something like an Ivatt C12.

I did include “IIRC”…..

I’ll check the book tonight - unless someone beats me to it.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 65179 said:

I think 90632 is a 2mm scale conversion of the Farish N gauge WD.

Regards,

Simon 

Thanks Simon,

I believe you're right. It's so good, I assumed it was 4mm!

FarishWDAusterityBRlatecrest372-42601.jpg.1b64fd640d679f949e134bc31f0b68db.jpg

FarishWDAusterityBRlatecrest372-42608.jpg.235ec471466c55832609ee9791843b29.jpg

The starting point.

The 2mm Finescale chaps really do produce some fantastic mechanisms, transforming N Gauge locomotives beyond recognition. 

Regards,

Tony.

P.S. Since corrected...............

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Mucky old Dub D's, we hated them as we knew not what number they carried !!!

Mid 60's, they were everywhere around Wigan, and hated, and suddenly they were gone, and (just a little bit) missed.

As a Southerner DubD's were not something we saw very often but not totally unknown.

I do though recall a vist to Wakefield shed around 1963/4 and of the 20 engines on shed at the time, 17 were WD 2-8-0s. It seemed as if they occupied every space on the shed and all looking very busy..

The other three were B1 61161 and 8Fs 48399 and 48274(?). Given that an ex Turkish Railway 8F carries the number 48274 I must have seen the original... Until I checked the number I had no idea about this connection.

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Why, why do I still take on work which others have started? I used to think I was of average intelligence, but obviously not! 

I'm looking at an example in front of me. The frames are erected and painted (it would seem squarely) but provision has only been made to accommodate the rear pick-ups (it's a six-coupled). The drivers are on (Markits, thankfully) as are the rods and a High-Level drive. There's a slight tight spot in the rods when power is applied to the motor's brush terminals, which will need their removal to cure. 

The tender is built and primed. It looks OK. 

A start has been made on cleaning up the principal castings (it's a white metal body), but there are innumerable scars caused by too-vigorous (and coarse) filing. Several parts appear to be missing, including the smokebox door and a set of steps. 

I'm not sure if all the (etched) motion components are present, because there are gaps in the frets, and a few bits in polythene bags.

It's for a friend, but why didn't I have the 'courage' to just say 'sorry'? 

Almost every loco which passes through my hands built by others sets me thinking 'I wouldn't build it like that', and this is no exception. So, from now on (with what remains of my diminishing intelligence), I'll only build 'virgin' kits.

Why are so many kit-built locos made so badly? 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Almost every loco which passes through my hands built by others sets me thinking 'I wouldn't build it like that', and this is no exception. So, from now on (with what remains of my diminishing intelligence), I'll only build 'virgin' kits.

I didn't notice that you had "diminishing intelligence" when I met you last month, quite the opposite. Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

It's remarkablehow much the thread moves on, I've only been away for 3 days!

I remember now, 61975 was mine - a Bachmann model, the wheels were undersize as I recall. So I do claim responsibility! I was thinking of my Proscale K3 61832, I only have a print of yours that you gave me Tony. 

IMG_0661.JPG.73fc2ab5b793cfdf01c82425db9ba9f9.JPG

Incidentaly the WD's 90040 and 90299 were both built by Allen Hammet - originally with Sharman wheels. They did tend to shift on the axle with rough driving, so I replaced them with the Markits WD ones when they came available.

Best Regards

Tony

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trw1089 said:

With the theme of weathering and of K3s (but also wary that non-kit built locomotives are a bit taboo here), I recently did up these two as weathering is one of my favourite pastimes.  I’m always inspired by Tom Foster’s work, and Tim Shackleton’s methods really helped me transform my weathering approaches but I also like to try many different methods, including airbrushing, powders, washes, dry brushing, pastels and the like.  Always working from a photographic reference is a must for me, but also knowing what it’s like to work the real thing helps.  For me, it’s about texture and subtlety, except for the end of steam when the motto with weathering should be “if a lot is good, more will be better…”

IMG_6208.jpeg

IMG_6217.jpeg

but living here in Australia, I also get to work on some different prototypes but the same rules apply

IMG_7695.jpeg

IMG_6983.jpeg

IMG_6981.jpeg

I thought I was looking at my own roster as I have those three VR locos, that is if the N class is Korean brass.  I even wrote the Australian magazine review of the Eureka R class.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Why, why do I still take on work which others have started?

Because you can't resist a challenge?

(and because you are being helpful to a 'victim' of poor loco building).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I still find it staggering that from a class of over 700 engines and which lasted to almost the end of steam on BR, not one survived into preservation.  None ending up in Woodhams Yard was only part of the reason; enthusiasts had their eyes on more glamorous engines.

There is one, but it wasn't an ex BR but ran in Sweden.  It is now presented as a BR loco at the Keighley and Worth Valley railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

19 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I still find it staggering that from a class of over 700 engines and which lasted to almost the end of steam on BR, not one survived into preservation. 

Not sure if anyone has already commented on this, but although it is true that none have been preserved that were in BR stock, one of the engines that went overseas for war service has been brought home and preserved on the KWVR and carries the number 90733 which follows on from the last BR number. It has been rebuilt to original as built condition.

A photograph and more info can be found on Wikipedia under "WD Austerity 2-8-0 79257" which was it's original number. I'm not sure about it's present condition.

WDs could always be recognised by the clanking of their rods as they rolled effortlessly along. A remarkable design that outlasted more modern designs but were perfect for the job that they were built for.

Edited by Keith Turbutt
Sound of their clanking rods
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Not sure if anyone has already commented on this, but although it is true that none have been preserved that were in BR stock, one of the engines that went overseas for war service has been brought home and preserved on the KWVR and carries the number 90733 which follows on from the last BR number. It has been rebuilt to original as built condition.

A photograph and more info can be found on Wikipedia under "WD Austerity 2-8-0 79257" which was it's original number. I'm not sure about it's present condition.

WDs could always be recognised by the clanking of their rods as they rolled effortlessly along. A remarkable design that outlasted more modern designs but were perfect for the job that they were built for.

Ah, somebody did beat me to it while I was composing my reply!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's some very-impressive weathering; thanks for showing us.

With regard to the K3s, I assume you've renumbered the top one? If so, you've chosen an incorrect one, I'm afraid. The style of cab (longer sides and smaller windows) only suits the later-build K3s, and 61836 probably should retain RH-drive. 

Some examples...........

K301.jpg.7329bf28183e495ad1509211f2979d67.jpg

This shows the different style of cab - Bachmann to the left; the later style (the only one Bachmann does) and SE Finecast to the right (several cab styles are provided in the kit). 

I don't think there's a 'prejudice' here against non-kit-built locos (several of the above examples are sourced from RTR K3s), but, please, add the front steps to your pair of K3s.

Regards,

Tony. 

I hope you don’t mind my selective quoting here Tony and I am always cautious about posting my work here because I know you’ll point out the errors that I may be oblivious to.  

Yes, I did renumbered both as I used previous advice on here about the tenders to select both of these examples, but didn’t know about the cab differences.  I’m modelling Wakefield Westgate and surrounds in 1952 so am quite selective about the locos I choose and their renumbering so I can have examples that would have been active in the area, with at least one or both of these based at Doncaster shed in the time I model.  I wasn’t aware of the difference in cabs, so will take that under advisement, but whilst I do build a number of kit built locos, I haven’t yet got a prolific box of spares that might have a spare K3 cab, so will have to suffer the small window cab for the time being.  Am also very aware of the limitations of the Bachmann K3 wheels, but K3s were also such irregular performers through Westgate that I doubt I will operate both of these much anyway and they may be just “layout locos” whilst I concentrate on more prolific classes such as my beloved J6s (which you’ve already seen and looked after for Gilbert) and the very many J39s that were based at Ardsley in my modelling period. As for front steps, yes, something that I have yet to fit.

Kind regards

Tony

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

could it be that most of the WDs were totally worn out when they went out of service. The ones I saw (and heard) from West Hartlepool looked worn out and struggled to pull the coals trains out of our pit yard!

I have two DJH WDs.. I built neither of them.. but one is clean (well as clean as I remember any WD) the other I weathered..

Cleaner one first

DJHWDthreequarters(2).JPG.df9e499badce81e83318f8df6bc17f91.JPG

and a dirtier one

image.png.b56286de4aba449d9698f88b8d33c622.png

apologies for the quality of the pictures my camera was playing up...

Baz

• Like 19