Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

CityofPeterborough01.jpg.f878bb9e68dde5347e62eee064c17411.jpg

This was one of the limited-edition examples produced by Bachmann in conjunction with BRM and the NVR. Again, the correct style of rods.

73050 has the wrong cab/tender arrangement. It was the first one to the revised design. I recall this error by Bachmann who initially denied it then were forced to concede they had got it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

For me, the best ever emus in the 60s and 70s were the Clacton express sets (309s) - we called them the 'red electrics' when all the other emus were green. They were based on the mk1s but with the latest Commonwealth (?) bogies and originally a notice in the cab said 'max speed 100 mph'. Sadly they brought down some overhead a few times and the GE track was not up to the higher speeds so the speed had to be restricted.

When traveling to school I saw the individual  coaches being delivered from York to Stanway sidings just outside Colchester where they were marshalled into their various units. I often stood in the connecting corridor by one of the driving cabs and watched the speed build up when traveling to school and later commuting to London.

One unit of the three sets (4+4+2) making up a 10 coach train included a griddle car which was very popular on the way home in the evening . If you weren't near the front of the queue at departure there was no guarantee that you would be served before you arrived at your station!

Happy days.

They certainly were the best EMU around (well, in my opinion of course). Two-thirds of one of the remaining sets is now at the East Anglian Railway Museum, they are asking for donations to help - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/309-homecoming

They certainly bounced around quite a bit at the "ton" making taking a photo rather a challenge, but when seated, you wafted along.

Scan727Farewell309.jpg.8179e9bfa4e35a3a352087e9feda3539.jpg

• Like 17

I remember a particularly spirited late night run from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford. Although seated I wouldn't have wanted to be drinking a cup of tea at the time! I really wish I'd bothered to time it because it was 20-something minutes to Chelmsford despite a stop at Shenfield.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Another miss, only seen one or two trains of 309s.

Round here it lots of 1st gen DMUs, but at least we had 50s.

Been in one 1st gen (119 I THINK) at 90, was really shifting and I was in the front seat behind the driver.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's latest L&MR 2nd Class carriage. 

That should read, 'Hornby's latest flight of fancy'. Very, very loosely based on vehicles in the second class train in the 1833 version of the Ackermann prints, and in one of the Shaw views of Olive Mount cutting. As far as I can see, the doors are pure invention! Still, rather fun, I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That should read, 'Hornby's latest flight of fancy'. Very, very loosely based on vehicles in the second class train in the 1833 version of the Ackermann prints, and in one of the Shaw views of Olive Mount cutting. As far as I can see, the doors are pure invention! Still, rather fun, I suppose. 

Good evening Stephen,

'Still, rather fun, I suppose.'

I think that's the spirit whereby this model should be assessed.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Shame about the snowplough / cowcatcher!

CJI.

Good morning John,

It can easily be removed - just a screw to undo. Then the NEM socket is revealed, though how many times an A3 hauled a train in reverse is a moot point........

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 3

Hello Grahame, I have followed your building of this layout & continue to be amazed at the skill & speed with which you are doing it! Do you have a personal connection to this area? I have because I was a clinical medical student at Guy's Hospital from 1969-72 & then a junior doctor there from 1973-4 & remember well most of the buildings you are modelling. Seeing La Spezia in your latest post is what decided me to write this comment as I occasionally had lunch there. Is it still going?

William

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

though how many times an A3 hauled a train in reverse is a moot point......

or was double headed? Also light engine movements when two or more were coupled together.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I agree.  There is something decidedly wrong about the front of that bogie. Very toy looking.

Frank

Wheel flanges look pretty coarse too, and the wheels themselves pretty small in diameter? A shame given the W1 from not too long ago had much improved bogie wheels imo

Edited by AdamOrmorod
remove whitespace
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Wheel flanges look pretty coarse too, and the wheels themselves pretty small in diameter? A shame given the W1 from not too long ago had much improved bogie wheels imo

Exactly !!

I had to look at it twice to make sure that it wasn't 20th Century N gauge!

Why do Hornby insist on reinventing the wheel, and coming up with a round(ish) stone disc with a log for the axle?!?

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

Hello Grahame, I have followed your building of this layout & continue to be amazed at the skill & speed with which you are doing it! Do you have a personal connection to this area? I have because I was a clinical medical student at Guy's Hospital from 1969-72 & then a junior doctor there from 1973-4 & remember well most of the buildings you are modelling. Seeing La Spezia in your latest post is what decided me to write this comment as I occasionally had lunch there. Is it still going?

In the early 70s I frequently travelled between Gillingham (Kent) and New Cross Gate often changing at London Bridge. In the mid 70s, when living in SE London, I used to drink in the local pubs (Becky's, the George, Harrow [later renamed the Market Porter], the Anchor, and others).

Much of the area has been re-developed. The businesses in the arches, including La Spezia, have all gone, with a new line installed on a bridge above and the road renamed as Guildable Manor Street (previously Station Approach). Many of the buildings I've modelled have also been demolished (including Fielden House, Dominion House, and along with many of the pubs in Tooley Street) or changed use like Bank Chambers now the Barrowboy and Banker pub, and Denmark and Emblem (formerly Colonial) Houses now part of a private hospital.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Good afternoon Adam,

I agree. 

It was the advent of the Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 which gave us more 'correct' bogie wheels for LNER Pacifics (carried on with the W1). The A3s' and A4s' bogie wheels were always poor, and one of the first things I did was to replace them when detailing the Gresley Pacifics.

HornbyA360093R3013.jpg.14a2bf9baad91845760fe0b88be39988.jpg

If anything, the bogie wheels on the latest Hornby A3 are worse than these on an earlier iteration.

A360077Hornby.jpg.333090e85a58af5e44620da17caba05c.jpg

Far better, though, when replaced with Markits bogie wheels.

I also altered the bogie's front framing, as well as adding a fair bit of detailing/weathering. 

60008onTalisman.jpg.e529309107c943ca2186d5c4806a024f.jpg

The same as on Hornby's A4 (though Ian Rathbone's painting is the greatest change). 

As my only two Hornby ex-LNER Pacifics, I still keep this pair, though they see very little use.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Adam,

I agree. 

It was the advent of the Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 which gave us more 'correct' bogie wheels for LNER Pacifics (carried on with the W1). The A3s' and A4s' bogie wheels were always poor, and one of the first things I did was to replace them when detailing the Gresley Pacifics.

HornbyA360093R3013.jpg.14a2bf9baad91845760fe0b88be39988.jpg

If anything, the bogie wheels on the latest Hornby A3 are worse than these on an earlier iteration.

A360077Hornby.jpg.333090e85a58af5e44620da17caba05c.jpg

Far better, though, when replaced with Markits bogie wheels.

I also altered the bogie's front framing, as well as adding a fair bit of detailing/weathering. 

60008onTalisman.jpg.e529309107c943ca2186d5c4806a024f.jpg

The same as on Hornby's A4 (though Ian Rathbone's painting is the greatest change). 

As my only two Hornby ex-LNER Pacifics, I still keep this pair, though they see very little use.

Regards,

Tony.

If and when you review a working example of Hornby's latest A3, will the deterioration of the representation front bogie and wheels merit a comment?

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

If and when you review a working example of Hornby's latest A3, will the deterioration of the representation front bogie and wheels merit a comment?

CJI.

You'll have to buy BRM to find out, John.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1