Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

A bit unfair to describe the "Caley coaches" range of kits as obscure. Most are still available via the website. Decent etches and brass castings, with care they produce excellent models. 

Here are some of the grampian corridor stock ;

GCS8H.JPG.79323be9cb4523836bfd58d857ca773e.JPG

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Was it A1 (or Craftsman, or both) which used to do etched brass overlays to convert RTR diesels into one-offs?

I still have the A1 Models conversion kit to turn the old Hornby NBL Type 2 DE into the DH version. Not needed once the Dapol RTR version came out.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If the "Obscure Kit Manufacturers" extends to wagons, I have a couple of unbuilt Roy Gould VGA vans (1980s steel sliding door vans).  Not sure they ever released any other kits.

If you ever fancy selling these, I will take them. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for this.......

Was it A1 (or Craftsman, or both) which used to do etched brass overlays to convert RTR diesels into one-offs?

As a student, Tom Wright produced this.................

Falcon01.jpg.f5bc499605a020d9c8eda4dc89226f33.jpg

Using a mixture of etched brass sides, an extended chassis from a Lima Class 31and a fair bit of scratch-building.

Ian Rathbone painted it in original livery. 

19Falcon.jpg.b58c75ec4338b757458abc372c757c8c.jpg

FALCON ran on Stoke Summit, hauling The Master Cutler/Sheffield Pullman.

Falcon02.jpg.56e4e25a1a94db9327342b18ee920184.jpg

FalcononMasterCutler.jpg.1862626c6b8d1227f9a496280e653536.jpg

And it still works the turn(s) occasionally on Little Bytham (though it's really too late, only appearing after the station was demolished). 

Tom also..........

DP2andEEType3.jpg.d3dd00289646aaab379809865d5b2052.jpg

Produced this DP2 from a mixture of etched brass sides/castings and a cut-about Lima Deltic, plus SEF cab windows

He also used castings and etchings to produce the split headcode EE Type 3, using a Hornby body as a basis, but mounted on a modified Lima Class 37 chassis . 

Of course, conversions such as the above are no longer necessary, though they do have a 'uniqueness'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I think a1 models did the falcon conversion kit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Obscure kits.. well Alistair Wright did some very nice etched coach kits sold under the 5522 banner. These were very early etched coaches. Mainly LMS prototypes as he had  a close affinity with the LMS at the time . These eventually passed on to a P4 modeller who promised to re release them.. (I did vontact Alistair to enquire about a LMS semi open first kit.. I obtained some Bill Bedford sides and one runs on Shap, I have another to build for my own use).

Bit like the Great Central coach kits now in the custody of the GC group...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Bit like the Great Central coach kits now in the custody of the GC group...

As I am involved with this. It is the castings which are the issue with those. Previously time because of how the masters were made up. Now it is getting castings done. Something which we hope to resolve in the coming months. As all of us are only in it as a hobby rather than professionals and have other pressures on our time, I know it can feel like it is taking a long time. We need to prioritize use of our time to get the most for the society, across all activities. Brian who leads on this does an excellent job of keeping the wagon kits available. If anyone would like to help the committee on this front, all offers gratefully received.

richard 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Brian,

I do remove spring detail where a pick-up is close.

As seen here on my latest SEF A4.......

SouthEasternFinecastA46000603highlighted.jpg.0d3e2ab11c83312198527591593ee1c6.jpg

Many thanks Tony - that's a great help.

Perhaps you might consider doing "Tony's Tips" to pass on such information - either as a part of WW or as a separate thread?  I know many would find it most useful - no doubt it would prompt others to add "this is how I do it" as well.

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Many thanks Tony - that's a great help.

Perhaps you might consider doing "Tony's Tips" to pass on such information - either as a part of WW or as a separate thread?  I know many would find it most useful - no doubt it would prompt others to add "this is how I do it" as well.

Kind Regards,

Brian

Good morning Brian,

Thanks for that.

I don't think a new thread will be necessary, but 'Tony's Tips' seems a good idea; or better still, just 'Modelling Tips' in general.

How to begin it? How about folk just asking questions? It's common on here already.

I should point out that all my suggestions are 'my way'; 'a way' if you like, never 'the way'. They are suggestions which I know 'work', at least for me, but I'm sure there are many 'better ways'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

If we're including DMUs has anyone mentioned DC Kits yet?

Yes, a little way back, as a former alternative to the now seemingly defunct ( and obscure?) MSL kits for the Woodhead DC electric locos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Though not 'obscure', and certainly not difficult to build, Bill Bedford's Mousa Models range is worthy of mention.................

MousaModelscarriages01.jpg.9c66c646ee9b05f4e4d72c17c14d3787.jpg

Cast in resin, they are exceptionally-good.

MousaModelscarriages13.jpg.a4d2899259ca5527e4a05921235990f9.jpg

And make-up into lovely models (I substituted metal for some of the trussing and steps, considering the resin parts a bit brittle).

MousaModelsGNRBrakeThird.jpg.333a62da3dd3cedfd294d2e7b77a749f.jpg

With weathering by Richard Wilson, it's sitting on a siding, forming part of an engineers' train.

Tony

A slight correction - the Bill Bedford GN Dia 277 BT is 3D printed in resin not cast. I have the similar Dia 129 luggage lavatory composite.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Chivers 

The firm also made...............

ChiversLNERbogieCCT.jpg.40f93fc2dfd926b8005d1a17fed17a0a.jpg

An etched brass kit for an ex-NER bogie CCT (all my work). 

Sorry Tony but this is an LNER designed 52' CCT first built in 1940. What could be called the final member of a family based on ex NER CCTs. I have one to build and saw a preserved one, built in 1950 under BR according to the builders plate, at Betws-y-Coed on my recent UK trip.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Sorry Tony but this is an LNER designed 52' CCT first built in 1940. What could be called the final member of a family based on ex NER CCTs. I have one to build and saw a preserved one, built in 1950 under BR according to the builders plate, at Betws-y-Coed on my recent UK trip.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I should have remembered that; it's come up before.

I think the difference is the original NER type has a substantial horizontal band at waist level. 

NERbogieCCT.jpg.30e6f1fbee94f42b60bb84ebe47a3821.jpg

Like this.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't recall if this BTH Type 1 was built from an A1 kit or a Dave Alexander one (or neither). Rob Kinsey (the builder/painter) will no doubt tell me............

BTHType1.jpg.2c405c7baa967778bf104e908c8535a8.jpg

Running on a ballast train on Stoke Summit.

Another diesel produced from etched sides over a modified RTR donor was..............

lion.jpg.3b20c08d27069f32a25dfec879fce6c4.jpg

LION, seen here awkwardly photographed with a (short) telephoto lens during Bytham's early days (a technique not to be repeated).

Were these Craftsman or A1 etches/castings? Either way, the donor (I believe) was a Lima Brush Type 4. 

This loco is now re-gauged to EM to run on Retford. 

• Like 12

That's also an LNER built one from the late 1920s as it has droplights. The original NE bogie CCTs had windows either side of the doors. The LNER version in this photo is I think the same length (45'?) as the NE one.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

and an ancient K's cast metal van.

Though a D&S brake van is better than the K's 'lump' (of which, more later).

It's not so bad with a change of everything below the solebar (somewhat par for the course with K's wagons) - not brilliant but can be pulled up to a respectable level (although I'm less happy in retrospect of my choice of W-irons on the unpainted one here).

As seen before on the 'What have you done with your Keyser kit' thread.

KsSECRvans.png.3a28a0bb1de97db607447f1185963408.png

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A kit name from the past (though certainly not obscure) was Kitmaster (later incorporated into Airfix). 

Though non-powered (did anyone get those 'Perfecta' kits to work?), many modellers (yours truly included) built them, and, in some cases, motorised them with proprietary chassis. I certainly did (producing somewhat peculiar results), including a J94 on top of a Tri-ang Jinty chassis and a couple of GWR prairie tanks on top of Tr-iang Princess chassis (Oh Dear!). The best was the the 76XXX riding on top of a cut-back Tri-ang 82XXX chassis ('best' is a relative term here). Fortunately, I have no photographs of these dubious creations (I was 15 at the time), and I have no idea where they are now (hopefully, buried!). 

When elder son Tom was 15, and showing a great interest in railway modelling, I thought - why not give him something similar to try for himself? Which I did........ The task being........

9FleavingtunnelBW.jpg.b817ae7827666bc7d85da51cd8e53ee6.jpg

Motorising this original Kitmaster (not Airfix) EVENING STAR by employing a Crownline chassis with Romford/Mashima drive. 

It's seen here running on Stoke Summit.

9FonCharwelton.jpg.6943255d3250a808f0976e09717ccb4d.jpg

And here on Charwelton. 

I helped him a little - showing him how to carve-off moulded-on handrails and how to erect valve gear (he did one side, after being shown). 

He built a Dave Alexander 1F tender body for it (riding on the bushed Kitmaster frames), and also substituted etched smoke deflectors. 

The painting/weathering is his work. 

While my aged-15 year efforts are long resigned to rightful oblivion........

BachmannandKitmaster9Fs.jpg.4d3389c1178e535e2fde4dde4b852dbc.jpg

I'm still happy to run Tom's model on merit, on LB; seen here in company with a Bachmann example.

I know which one I find more-interesting.

Does anyone else have motorised Kitmaster/Airfix locos? 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Motorised Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol: I think you mean this sort of thing Tony?  Bought for a tenner off a stall a couple of years ago.  The X03/4 motor is missing but I've a couple of spares.  I fancied it as a piece of nostalgia and I'm sure the wheelbase is all wrong, but some scale wheels would transform it.  The valve gear would need a little more thought.

IMG_6353.JPG.12e8c45dddae8d09f125b242ccbd80a8.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

IMG_3344.JPG.78fca11a260a06f5361d91a5c6b58f73.JPG

14 hours ago, Dave John said:

A bit unfair to describe the "Caley coaches" range of kits as obscure. Most are still available via the website. Decent etches and brass castings, with care they produce excellent models. 

Here are some of the grampian corridor stock ;

GCS8H.JPG.79323be9cb4523836bfd58d857ca773e.JPG

I agree that the Caley Coaches kits can definitely be built into excellent models though in contrast to Mike Edge Frank Bulkan who built this  the Dunalistair model for me found the chassis challenging especially getting the bogie to traverse 3 foot radius curves. It seem you have one too. Mine was beautifully painted by Warren Haywood.

As I have posted photos of several rather different locos from different companies on here lately it might be worth explaining that I try to run true to prototype trains at one time, then change them all for another railway company or period the next time & so on. This includes New York Central, New South Wales Government Railway, Gotthard Bahn, etc. One could say that I have an eclectic collection. I prefer pre.grouping best.

William

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2