Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I found this kit in a drawer, and i wonder if anyone knows who made it? It has the wrong instructions, and an odd selection of destination boards.

Regards Tony.

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

Edited by Baldyoldgit
Add Photo
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

This ex-GWR BG to the right (builder unknown)

Don't worry Tony, I don't need it any more...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

@Tony Wright Hello Tony,

A question regarding pickups if I may?  Some time ago (in response to a question from yours truly) you kindly posted some pictures showing how you install pickups.  I'm currently installing pickups (or at least trying to...) on the Jinty I'm working on; I'm finding that the presence of the spring representations below each axle makes it more complex (at least for me) and I've yet to achieve any arrangement anywhere near what I'm happy with (I'm using 0.45mm N.S. wire & sleeving, incidentally).

Now after reviewing your photos again (I saved them into an email to myself for future reference) I wonder if you remove, or at least modify the "springs" as necessary in order to make for an easier and cleaner installation?  The photos suggest this may be the case

Many thanks

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Baldyoldgit said:

I found this kit in a drawer, and i wonder if anyone knows who made it? It has the wrong instructions, and an odd selection of destination boards.

Regards Tony.

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

The kit is from Peter K, and I think it was the first loco he produced. The instructions come from his later, and much better, Brighton D2 kit. Without digging mine out of the pile of boxed etchings, I seem to recall that the Single came with little in the way of instructions, and I have never been able to work out how the elaborate arrangement of multiple compensation beams was intended to work.

He made some of parts of the etchings available as detailing sets, but had obviously maximised the etching by incorporating NLR destination boards alongside the LBSCR boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

The kit is from Peter K, and I think it was the first loco he produced. The instructions come from his later, and much better, Brighton D2 kit. Without digging mine out of the pile of boxed etchings, I seem to recall that the Single came with little in the way of instructions, and I have never been able to work out how the elaborate arrangement of multiple compensation beams was intended to work.

He made some of parts of the etchings available as detailing sets, but had obviously maximised the etching by incorporating NLR destination boards alongside the LBSCR boards.

I'll second the above.I almost bought the Peter K G class kit way back in the 1980s, when they sold the etches and fittings as 2 separate kits ( not sure why?) Luckily when I examined the kit closer in the shop (back in the days when model shops sold things like this- think it may have been Kings Cross) I decided it was beyond my abilities , especially as instructions were non existent.From what I've read since, it seems the kit was more or less unbuildable ! I have a D2 kit which looks much better quality and will get round to building it some time 

With this in mind , any chance of a scan of the instructions you have @Baldyoldgit as my kit came with none! 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, jamieb said:

I'll second the above. I almost bought the Peter K G class kit way back in the 1980s, when they sold the etches and fittings as 2 separate kits ( not sure why?) Luckily when I examined the kit closer in the shop (back in the days when model shops sold things like this- think it may have been Kings Cross) I decided it was beyond my abilities , especially as instructions were non existent. From what I've read since, it seems the kit was more or less unbuildable ! I have a D2 kit which looks much better quality and will get round to building it some time 

With this in mind , any chance of a scan of the instructions you have @Baldyoldgit as my kit came with none! 

Found the kit. Gaze in awe and wonder at the amazing instructions!

peterkgpage1.png.1a572463a4edea0e4071bfb8b9439265.pngpeterkgpage2.png.ed6d2fc4e9648cfdcbafd0989ab7be1c.pngpeterkgpage3.png.6feb07671ed339441edc16db9f23d333.png

William Strudly would be turning in his grave. Those for the D2 are rather more comprehensive, and lengthy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

peterkgpage1.png.1a572463a4edea0e4071bfb8b9439265.pngpeterkgpage2.png.ed6d2fc4e9648cfdcbafd0989ab7be1c.pngpeterkgpage3.png.6feb07671ed339441edc16db9f23d333.png

William Stroudly would be turning in his grave. Those for the D2 are rather more comprehensive, and lengthy.

Obviously instructions are for wimps!

• Funny 4

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

In the obscure list of obscure motive power kits, has anyone mentioned MTK?

MTKCravensunit01.jpg.a01c740759412742468cf9d3121ae1d9.jpg

MTKCravensunit02.jpg.ca46d707e6e319fdf855afa8af289056.jpg

If we're including DMUs has anyone mentioned DC Kits yet? Their first, a MetCam class101, was a bit rough but the later Cravens,class 105, and Derby Lightweight were much better. I think there were some others in the range as well.

Also Silver Fox did a number of resin diesel bodies. A WMB diesel railbus, diesel loco bodies for the LMS twins, Bullied diesel, NB Warship, Brush Falcon and some others.

How do I know? Because the boxes sat in a drawer for years and when eventually RTR versions appeared I sold the unmade kits on eBay!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

If we're including DMUs has anyone mentioned DC Kits yet? Their first, a MetCam class101, was a bit rough but the later Cravens,class 105, and Derby Lightweight were much better. I think there were some others in the range as well.

Also Silver Fox did a number of resin diesel bodies. A WMB diesel railbus, diesel loco bodies for the LMS twins, Bullied diesel, NB Warship, Brush Falcon and some others.

How do I know? Because the boxes sat in a drawer for years and when eventually RTR versions appeared I sold the unmade kits on eBay!

Good afternoon Keith,

Elder son, Tom, made a DC Kits Metro-Camm DMU in his teens..........

02DMU25.jpg.ee62c9358de559546ca58e8863d87ed0.jpg

It's seen running on his 'Finton' layout - a much altered creation, originally built by Phil Parker, and now sold to Richard Wilson).

When he exhibited it at one Doncaster event.........

DCKitsClayton.jpg.3e3c8d398532db3c3e9093f818624c74.jpg

Charlie Petty brought along his DC Kits Clayton for inspection.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I made the pattern for Charlie's Clayton, it's essentially the same as our etched kit. I built quite a few of the DMU and EMU kits but no digital photos of them - one day I'll get round to scanning my negatives of arlier work.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamieb said:

I'll second the above.I almost bought the Peter K G class kit way back in the 1980s, when they sold the etches and fittings as 2 separate kits ( not sure why?) Luckily when I examined the kit closer in

2 hours ago, jamieb said:

I'll second the above.I almost bought the Peter K G class kit way back in the 1980s, when they sold the etches and fittings as 2 separate kits ( not sure why?) Luckily when I examined the kit closer in the shop (back in the days when model shops sold things like this- think it may have been Kings Cross) I decided it was beyond my abilities , especially as instructions were non existent.From what I've read since, it seems the kit was more or less unbuildable ! I have a D2 kit which looks much better quality and will get round to building it some time 

*the shop (back in the days when model shops sold things like this- think it may have been Kings Cross) I decided it was beyond my abilities , especially as instructions were non existent.From what I've read since, it seems the kit was more or less unbuildable ! I have a D2 kit which looks much better quality and will get round to building it some time 

PM Sent

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

William Strudly would be turning in his grave. Those for the D2 are rather more comprehensive, and lengthy.

Return to drawer I think

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

As for 'old and obscure' kits................

MOPOKHornbyWRBG.jpg.7ec5c28f1c793b436540d45852568dae.jpg

What about Mopok?

This ex-GWR BG to the right (builder unknown) is seen in company with a modern, Hornby RTR equivalent.

Though 'old', Ian Kirk kits are not obscure (are they still available?).

A God-send in the past, particularly for LNER modellers, there must be hundreds still running.

And, as previously-mentioned, there is no RTR equivalent for..........

Gresleytriplet03.jpg.9a32cd5cd97e95ce8a4946692d9740fa.jpg

A triplet diner - this set built by elder son, Tom, enhanced with Comet and MJT components. 

Hi Tony. Yes, some (at least) of the former Ian Kirk 4mm LNER coach kits are indeed  available again, from H&A Models under the ‘ExKirk’ brand name (!!) and can be found on the H&A website. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Though 'old', Ian Kirk kits are not obscure (are they still available?).

A God-send in the past, particularly for LNER modellers, there must be hundreds still running.

And, as previously-mentioned, there is no RTR equivalent for..........

Gresleytriplet03.jpg.9a32cd5cd97e95ce8a4946692d9740fa.jpg

A triplet diner - this set built by elder son, Tom, enhanced with Comet and MJT components. 

bult a few of these over the years

LNER 5552565313_e3cc1b8116_c.jpg4mm LNER triplet set built from a Ian kirk kit3 by brian mosby, on Flickr

BR

31808336725_2439beb58d_c.jpgBR ex-LNER Triplet Restaurant set by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russell price said:

Anyone remember A1 models? Here is a Baby Deltic, whether it will get finished remains to be seen.

IMG_5768.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

IMG_5766.jpeg

One day I will finish the 05

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If the "Obscure Kit Manufacturers" extends to wagons, I have a couple of unbuilt Roy Gould VGA vans (1980s steel sliding door vans).  Not sure they ever released any other kits.

• Like 5