Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dibateg said:

I keep getting a thing that pops up asking if I’m a robot. Looks like scam to me, anyone else getting that?

There's a whole topic on it here:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

CwmPrysorcarriages.jpg.2387508a3156d41db6ba410987e9f88d.jpg.4a0e18864aef57846f10144dca2cf2e1.jpg

Blimey, I built that!   I thought Tom had sold the coaching stock off separately.  I'm pleased at least some of it stayed with the layout.   I think I may have done some detailing on the chocolate and cream one as well, if it's a Hornby one.  

Of course there were no curves on the layout I built it for, so it worked fine when I delivered it to Tom.

Good morning Jonathan,

It is a Hornby one, which Tom weathered.

The raising of the coach's body was minimal.

The other two vehicles behind my B1 are coupling converter wagons.

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

During adjusting the gear mesh on the K3 mentioned yesterday...........

SouthEasternFinecastK303workingconjugatedgear.jpg.5260ae77fd1f6bb8d31b1f5171473a64.jpg

I discovered that the builder had arranged the conjugated gear ahead of the cylinders to actually work! (Its movement is just visible).

I've never seen this done on this model before; especially since, with the body on, its motion is invisible. 

Anyway, the gear is properly meshed now (though the DS10 and straight Romford gears would never be my drive of choice), so it's over to the trainset and see how she performs................

I've seen it done on a scratchbuilt American loco whose prototype was fitted with Gresley conjugated gear, but it must indeed be rare.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Oh no!    Now Bear see what you have done!

Puppers has been outed....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I've seen it done on a scratchbuilt American loco whose prototype was fitted with Gresley conjugated gear, but it must indeed be rare.

I've seen models of the New South Wales Railways D57 class with working conjugating links (they were exposed above the front footplate) but I don't know  their provenance. At one time there was a Korean brass version and I believe that DJH also made a kit. I also don't know whether the actual valves moved.

http://www.bergshobbies.com.au/store-details.php?d=54

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's a fair  sized coterie of RTR model railway purchasers in the UK that take this position. This is often associated with the importance of the packaging being maintained in perfect condition. A rather different hobby from the one on the Wright lines...

where's the "unfortunately true" reaction button?  It's sad that railway modelling has Hot Wheels collector types, completely missing the point and attraction of seeing a small scale version of the beautiful, massive trains thundering down the line.  Just run the poor thing!  And detail, paint, and improve it while your at it!  The results are so much grander and more convincing then just plopping something down on an unrealistic piece of track that has no character or story behind it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PupCam said:

And after I made you podger for lining up your bits!     There's gratitude for you 🤣

Img_2281.jpg.e13939eb48d1bed2898f97d16933c294.jpg

Whilst searching for some 1/8" bearings  to make sure the podger fits correctly I came across this blast from the past.    

Img_2280.jpg.7a9d27cf706244e0b5779a58d4b0c202.jpg

I believe George Alan was the first to use proper, full depth brass etching back in the late 60's / early 70's and coincided with the first commercially available super glue - IS12.    I think his first kit was that wonderful lattice footbridge - an ideal candidate for the technology.   The rep that supplied the kits recommended using IS12 to assembly it (because he supplied it no doubt).   Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse.   There were some other smaller items in the range which were just as good.    

Anyway, it is a great reminder for me of my youth from father's model shop in Hemel Hempstead.   I'm guessing this item didn't get sold in the closing down sale!

That takes me back a bit. It was were I first saw the footbridge kit. I also bought a Trix A4 from him at one time. There was a girl who worked in the shop and I worked with her dad. There were two different shops over time, one in Bank Court and at another time one in Waterhouse Street.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I discovered that the builder had arranged the conjugated gear ahead of the cylinders to actually work! (Its movement is just visible).

I've never seen this done on this model before; especially since, with the body on, its motion is invisible. 

Somebody was showing me a video the other day of a Golden Age A4 (OO version) which had working conjugated valve gear.  He took the video as he had taken the body off to repair it, otherwise it wouldn't have been very visible!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

GoldenAgeOOgaugeA4s05.jpg.2ddc4a659884bf047f2350de2cb52eb7.jpg

There certainly was a range of them, though what's happened to them now, who knows?

I last heard from Quentin 2019, and this is the last news update 2021 on the GAM website which is still live strangely enough.

image.png.139604fae7f05196b4f2109245eeb5bf.png

I went crazy, and have three of the A4s which have subsequently had a DCC sound package upgrade, now that better decoders and speakers are available.

DSC08958.JPG.2edd29f1e61e783f0e10985c168cdccd.JPG

Superb models, but if you recall their haulage capability wasn't too good considering the weight. What was worse, was the drag on the wheel sets of the GAM coach sets. I had to replace all of the plain bearings in the bogies with pin points otherwise 5 coaches maximum before slip.

I guess they are no longer trading, and never will? Your A4 may have some rarity value now, but these never seem to come up for sale, so I do not know how much.

The other issue is zero instructions and zero parts list, so even though it was easy to get into the tender, the access to the chassis for maintenance will be a challenge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I last heard from Quentin 2019, and this is the last news update 2021 on the GAM website which is still live strangely enough.

image.png.139604fae7f05196b4f2109245eeb5bf.png

It all ended up in Court - IIRC GAM lost (and quite significantly I think); ISTR he decided to represent himself against the likes of Santander(?) and it all went horribly wrong, unsurprisingly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

If you are realy bored and want an alternative to the football, the full report is on line.

Basically he has been a very naughty boy.

Now, where have I heard a defence that 'The computer broke down and I lost all the data?'.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard Lamb
altered
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

CwmPrysorcarriages.jpg.2387508a3156d41db6ba410987e9f88d.jpg.4a0e18864aef57846f10144dca2cf2e1.jpg

Blimey, I built that!   I thought Tom had sold the coaching stock off separately.  I'm pleased at least some of it stayed with the layout.   I think I may have done some detailing on the chocolate and cream one as well, if it's a Hornby one.  

Of course there were no curves on the layout I built it for, so it worked fine when I delivered it to Tom.

I’m guessing you must have built this one to Jonathan? 
I bought four carriages from Tom when he sold the layout, two kit built, a Hornby and a Bachmann. 

4FB2532C-04B8-4E3E-BE26-D74A13B3D709.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, geoff west said:

you must have built this one too Jonathan? 

I did, Geoff.   Looking back through my notes, it's an E128 and the other an E152.   Here it is almost complete:

spacer.png

I hadn't built any GW carriages before, but I have to say they were very straightforward and went together nicely as far as I recall.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, polybear said:

It all ended up in Court - IIRC GAM lost (and quite significantly I think); ISTR he decided to represent himself against the likes of Santander(?) and it all went horribly wrong, unsurprisingly.

How sad. Brings to mind the old saying: if you think having lawyers to represent you in a court case is expensive, try not having them, and see what that will cost. 

In too many instances in this country, getting ‘your version’ of justice is the prerogative of those with deep pockets. 

• Agree 13

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Steve,

It wasn't just the conjugated gear which worked on a Golden Age A4..........

GoldenAgeOOgaugeA4s19.jpg.85f1e4fc172037476c8f9887874201bc.jpg

The full inside motion did, too. 

Not only that..........

GoldenAgeOOgaugeA4s16.jpg.503deec818dffa559672a28db1bcbd26.jpg

The cod's mouth and the smokebox door opened as well; which was a bit daft, because where is the blastpipe?

GoldenAgeOOgaugeA4s05.jpg.2ddc4a659884bf047f2350de2cb52eb7.jpg

There certainly was a range of them, though what's happened to them now, who knows?

As is known........

60027GoldenAge.jpg.ad8d5a5180d92ec0f32b7a274fee4973.jpg

I bought one, which cost over £1,000.00! Even more, to have the DCC stuff removed (it was factory-fitted at source). 

GoldenAgeOOgaugeA4s03.jpg.401bb86268670e12cdbb82bfb54f7728.jpg

It ran during Bytham's early development.

And still does...............

60027onUpElizabethan06.jpg.2bf65b8517e949d73279b6333ba40ce7.jpg

But only rarely; usually on the request of visitors, who must think me rather dim for spending over a grand.................

Elizabethan01.jpg.2683634f1f40efef0c2acceb0ea2f045.jpg

On something I could build myself at a fraction of the price, even with Ian Rathbone's professional paint finish. 

Regards,

Tony. 

and the funniest thing about the underside of the GAM A4s is that the inside of the frames and axles aren't even painted red (I know the A1 and A3 were red pre-war, but I can't be exactly sure about the A4s, but I cant imagine that it would be wise to paint them black, hard to find oiling points and such), the hornblock guides aren't visible, nor ribbed, the axles are wrongly parallel, they used fairly obtrusive screws on the brake rigging of all things, and the frame spacers aren't right in place, nor shape!  Using MJT detailed Hornblocks, and better springs (maybe even CSB, or the Varney system) would've looked FAR better, and would've improved the tractive effort immensely!

If you want to see what the inside of a Gresley pacific looks like, then this post of Peter Seymour-Howell's fabulous build of a 5" gauge FLUING SCOTSMAN model shows some good photos: http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/inside-connecting-rod-and-piston-crosshead-fitting/

And, if you want to see just how visible such red paint, con-rod, and other small details are on an A1, this is the right post for you: http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/nlsme-event-brean-visit/

Another great resource is the blog that the NRM did for SIR NIGEL GRESLEY's overhaul: https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/tag/sir-nigel-gresley/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

where's the "unfortunately true" reaction button?  It's sad that railway modelling has Hot Wheels collector types, completely missing the point and attraction of seeing a small scale version of the beautiful, massive trains thundering down the line.  Just run the poor thing!  And detail, paint, and improve it while your at it!  The results are so much grander and more convincing then just plopping something down on an unrealistic piece of track that has no character or story behind it.

But without all those types sales would be lower, prices would be higher and some models would probably never come to market at all.

Live and let live.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2