Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Another unidentified loco is this kitson  shunted, Halliday built can’t remember what motor is in this but it runs beautifully and very very slowly. I did give it a blow over of black to freshen it up. 

IMG_5732.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

A tapered / pointed 1/8" rod can be very useful for the preliminary 'lining-up' of components.

Perhaps Puppers can turn up a suitable rod for you on the Myford @polybear?

Payment with LDC would be acceptable* 😀

*  Or maybe not mentioning a certain unfinished K3 would be adequate?

Edited by PupCam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROY@34F said:

Looks good this chassis Frank . Could you tell me which H.L. motor and gearbox you used please . Is it sprung/equalised ? And they look like Sharman wheels ? 

Thanks .   Regards, Roy .

Hi Roy,

The chassis is built with Continuous Springy Beams.  The motor is a High Level 1219 coreless motor coupled with a HL RoadRunner Compact gearbox.  Wheels are Gibson.  I only wish we could still get Sharman wheels.

Frank

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, russell price said:

Another unidentified loco is this kitson  shunted, Halliday built can’t remember what motor is in this but it runs beautifully and very very slowly. I did give it a blow over of black to freshen it up. 

IMG_5732.jpeg

Could it be Jidenco ?

Pete

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Could BEC kits be considered obscure? Perhaps, or at least to today's non-building generation of modellers.

BECD1103.jpg.644160ed18b456a3b76aeb8a86f0314c.jpg

I made this ancient example some little time ago.

BECD1162662.jpg.85637730b52167f84cfca1dd3afa54fc.jpg

Which Geoff Haynes painted.

BecJ1765533.jpg.860a08b0d2fca5e77cbd1d62fb290fdd.jpg

David Rae made this J17.

BecJ1765582.jpg.f395a88c2258cef7a26f320c9ed83b61.jpg

And I can't recall who brought this BEC J17 along. 

Remind me of a conversation I had the other day about the want/need to build and modify things.  I somewhat understand the temptation of someone without much skills to use an RTR loco, but I couldn't for the life of me understand the other persons severe aversion to buying second hand and modifying RTR, which is something I do often.  I think that he just loathed the very thought of taking a screwdriver or paintbrush to his RTR rolling stock and voiding his precious warranty after he'd paid so much to buy the thing on pre-order, which baffles my mind!  I told him about how I've been able to buy some of the best made RTR and American style (screw together pretty much) kits, like my Varney Super Mikado, my HobbyTowns, and my new Hornby J15, all for fractions of the MSRP, but we just couldn't get our heads around the other's ideas.  Rather odd to think about isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, russell price said:

Another Mystery is this GWR 9400 , all brass, well detailed if a bit chunky,again it runs lovely and slow. Romford Phantom motor and Hamblings Wheels.

IMG_5733.jpeg

I'd be interested to, I also have one which I assumed was scratch built. 

• RMweb Premium

Just bought a fictitious livery 47 off Ebay.

Cheap, will get the works done, whatever I do it will look better.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PupCam said:

Perhaps Puppers can turn up a suitable rod for you on the Myford @polybear?

Payment with LDC would be acceptable* 😀

*  Or maybe not mentioning a certain unfinished K3 would be adequate?

* This one?

AnchorageK3.jpg.4e0b8aa4f97cd0671e6c60c0e2fffa35.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)

I came across an old friend yesterday on Dave Nicholl's Brookmans Park. My DJH B16/3 61434 that I built many years ago. I recall buying the kit when I was 18 or therabouts!

IMG_0475.JPG.d1903339a2bf80ed672e2990be0d96e4.JPG

I keep getting a thing that pops up asking if I’m a robot. Looks like scam to me, anyone else getting that?

Edited by dibateg
Pop ups
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

During adjusting the gear mesh on the K3 mentioned yesterday...........

SouthEasternFinecastK303workingconjugatedgear.jpg.5260ae77fd1f6bb8d31b1f5171473a64.jpg

I discovered that the builder had arranged the conjugated gear ahead of the cylinders to actually work! (Its movement is just visible).

I've never seen this done on this model before; especially since, with the body on, its motion is invisible. 

Anyway, the gear is properly meshed now (though the DS10 and straight Romford gears would never be my drive of choice), so it's over to the trainset and see how she performs................

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

Going outside of the comfortable and familiar world of steam models, does the MSL range count as obscure now? They were etched kits for the Manchester-Sheffield-Wath electrics, including I think a proper specific kit for the LNER prototype, later named Tommy. I have not seen any recent mention of the range, so I presume it is defunct, a demise possibly hastened by the Oliivia's RTR range which failed to include the intended (promised?) proper model of Tommy. There was of course the "easier" DC resin body kit option for the MSW locos at the same time as the MSL range.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

...I somewhat understand the temptation of someone without much skills to use an RTR loco, but I couldn't for the life of me understand the other persons severe aversion to buying second hand and modifying RTR, which is something I do often.  I think that he just loathed the very thought of taking a screwdriver or paintbrush to his RTR rolling stock and voiding his precious warranty...

There's a fair  sized coterie of RTR model railway purchasers in the UK that take this position. This is often associated with the importance of the packaging being maintained in perfect condition. A rather different hobby from the one on the Wright lines...

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

During adjusting the gear mesh on the K3 mentioned yesterday...........

SouthEasternFinecastK303workingconjugatedgear.jpg.5260ae77fd1f6bb8d31b1f5171473a64.jpg

I discovered that the builder had arranged the conjugated gear ahead of the cylinders to actually work! (Its movement is just visible).

I've never seen this done on this model before; especially since, with the body on, its motion is invisible. 

Anyway, the gear is properly meshed now (though the DS10 and straight Romford gears would never be my drive of choice), so it's over to the trainset and see how she performs................

I can't imagine that DS10 being anything like adequate with single-reduction Romford gears for a K3 that's expected to do any heavy work. I found the only one I tried, in a Little Engines J11, to be incapable of running the loco and a fairly light train at a steady speed on a level layout whose curves were no tighter than 3 foot radius, and it was utterly useless faced with a rising gradient.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Ian Kirk said:

Norman Blackburn and mainly NBR types : J88, N15,J37 and the Austerity 0-6-0ST He started this at University and I introduced him to Sutherland Casters that I was doing some pattern making for at the time and who cast them for him. I believe that his Father kept the range available for a time while Norman shot around the Country in the back set of a Buccaneer. When he retired from the RAF he did some more kits but in O gauge.

A Blackburn in a Buccaneer? Must be some kind of coincidence?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

CwmPrysorcarriages.jpg.2387508a3156d41db6ba410987e9f88d.jpg.4a0e18864aef57846f10144dca2cf2e1.jpg

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The lovely Comet brake compo would not negotiate curves because of insufficient clearance between the solebars and the top of the bogie; a simple fix - just a pair of thin, wide brass washers on top of the bolsters. 

Blimey, I built that!   I thought Tom had sold the coaching stock off separately.  I'm pleased at least some of it stayed with the layout.   I think I may have done some detailing on the chocolate and cream one as well, if it's a Hornby one.  

Of course there were no curves on the layout I built it for, so it worked fine when I delivered it to Tom.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

* This one?

AnchorageK3.jpg.4e0b8aa4f97cd0671e6c60c0e2fffa35.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Oh no!    Now Bear see what you have done!

• Funny 4