Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Posted (edited)

Another pair of 'obscure' names (at least by today's standards) was Cornard/McGowan................

CornardB17.jpg.484a5bed20ae73f7fa0a171ea9786f96.jpg

A Cornard B17.

CornardJouefAusterity.jpg.bd7f75e3e4d86df80cd42042a61e574e.jpg

A Cornard Austerity on a Joueff (is it two 'f's?) tender-drive mechanism.

DavidRaeCornardAusterity.jpg.1191c7bd03a7867c1b549c91f1257602.jpg

And another Cornard Austerity on a scratch-built set of frames.

Haven't I had some interesting models run on Little Bytham? 

McGowanB123finished03.jpg.8a2b7766d722829e2fbf5a5dc4f41f2d.jpg

A McGowan B12/3 (built/painted by me).

McGowanD96040.jpg.77066203f44fe66848b037a2bc69e9a0.jpg

And a McGowan D9 (built by me, painted by Geoff Haynes). 

Another kit name from the obscure past is Stephen Poole. I built an E4 and a J15 from that source, donkeys' years ago (the former for a friend and the latter to run on Fordley Park). Where they are now, God knows (I don't have any pictures of them). 

My main memory (weirdly?) is that they came in the most solid cardboard boxes I've ever seen (virtually un-crushable). The pair also came with Stephen Poole driving wheels, which I found impossible! Both were driven by K's Mk.2 motors, which actually worked.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Another firm producing etched kits was Chilton Iron Works. I think that they concentrated on industrial locos from the north east and one of their kits was a Barry F saddle tank, many of these found their way to collieries when sold by the Great Western. To my mind the kit doesn’t capture the look of the real thing.

Brian

• Like 2

I have a couple of all brass Hamblings locos, not sure if they were high end rtr or kits , will get some photos later. Built in the mid 50s and still run well, Romford 7 pole flywheel motors. Owned by the late George Halliday, they were mothballed from his death in 1961. I’ve had them since 1977

• Like 2

Having had an interest in model railways since the late 70's there are a small number of suppliers mentioned above that I didn't know existed or have even heard of.

Every day a school day.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Three more for your 'obscure' or discontinued collection; the first is a Craftsman Lord Nelson, builder unknown as I acquired it on flea-bay:

SJPP608003002180608.jpg.8201ecd2a376e57f17ce97bff1d89c47.jpg

Next are a pair of what I believe to be Kitmaster bodied West Country locos; again I have no idea about the builder or the chassis, but each has a Portescap motor:

SJP2023-02-2617-22-45(BRadius8Smoothing4)02230226.jpg.9b13f003e68025b609b6d7129cbb2d41.jpg

Finally, an SR, ex-LSWR Drummond K10 from an E.J. Sharp kit, built & painted by @DLT ; it needed much modification (as illustrated on his RMWeb thread) & has a High Level gearbox:

SJPSJP2018-06-1712-07-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)0218061602180616.jpg.f80e9c2b73efdd883981d5448ef65f47.jpg

Tony

Good morning Tony,

Many thanks for showing these. 

A Craftsman Lord Nelson? Might a Jamieson one be more-obscure?

JamiesonLordNelson01.jpg.941f75cbf3819eb0501d567cec2dcbdd.jpg

JamiesonLordNelson02.jpg.561184d50636ccd019b9118f38255b62.jpg

One day I must get around to finishing this!

Even more-obscure?

JamiesonJ39kit.jpg.8515ede6272c3acd41b84234f8fe6b95.jpg

A Jamieson box for a J39 kit from over 70 years ago! 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2024 at 10:19, zr2498 said:

I for one have purchased the Caprotti model, and will be repositioning / modifying the lamps if possible. As for the draw bar, that is likely to be a mini project as I believe there are 8 connections in the coupling to accomodate all of the new gizmos. If I revert to non illuminated lamps, and as I'm not bothered about the steam generator then back to 4 wires and a JST plug will do the job.

Whatever I do, I will share it with other modellers on this forum. That is one of the RMweb benefits.

I am replying to my own comment!

But first, I should like to thank Tony for his review in this month's BRM. It points out the excellent detail and many aspects of the Newly Tooled Hornby Black 5 model, but also includes some adverse comments re, haulage, lamps and the coupling.

I was one of those on the Hornby (new tooling) thread that critisised some of the New Black 5 failings, whilst applauding the model in general. So much so, I have done what I promised up thread, and modified the Caprotti. Shortened the coupling. modified the lamps whilst keeping them working, and added some weight. The biggest modification was for sound fitting and a huge rewiring incuding having the fire box flicker working when the door is open for example. Of course, for DCC modellers.

A large undertaking which is detailed here:

I know of at least one other modeller who has replicated the coupling modification. I was so pleased, as that is what this forum is about (or it should be).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A Jamieson box for a J39 kit from over 70 years ago! 

I built that kit. You handed it to me and said if you can build it you won’t be worried by anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony,

May I call upon your expert knowledge of loco construction in conjunction with your wide knowledge of the correct use of the English language please?

Having spent "some time" this afternoon attempting (so far unsuccessfully) to locate a High Level Gearbox between the frames of a Comet Jinty chassis, then slide in the Markits axle thru' the first frame, 1st gearbox side, final drive gear, shim washer, 2nd gearbox side, brass shim washer and remaining frame my question is......what filthy word(s) would be most suitable, please?

Kind Regards,

Brian

p.s.  At least I did manage - eventually - to fit the grub screw** into the final drive gear....several "words" being used in the process....

**I'm very glad I purchased some spare grub screws from HLK when I ordered the gearbox - fortunately (and amazingly) I've not lost any yet....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hello Tony,

May I call upon your expert knowledge of loco construction in conjunction with your wide knowledge of the correct use of the English language please?

Having spent "some time" this afternoon attempting (so far unsuccessfully) to locate a High Level Gearbox between the frames of a Comet Jinty chassis, then slide in the Markits axle thru' the first frame, 1st gearbox side, final drive gear, shim washer, 2nd gearbox side, brass shim washer and remaining frame my question is......what filthy word(s) would be most suitable, please?

Kind Regards,

Brian

p.s.  At least I did manage - eventually - to fit the grub screw** into the final drive gear....several "words" being used in the process....

**I'm very glad I purchased some spare grub screws from HLK when I ordered the gearbox - fortunately (and amazingly) I've not lost any yet....

A tapered / pointed 1/8" rod can be very useful for the preliminary 'lining-up' of components.

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Posted (edited)

This loco caught my eye a while back. Seems very well painted with a satin finish. Not to glossy.

Listed as a DJH Merchant Navy  it sold for £120 plus buyer premium at Vectis.

Was it a RTR DJH model or professionally made?

595515.webp

Edited by maico
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The pair also came with Stephen Poole driving wheels, which I found impossible!

Huge disappointment, looked lovely, but the aluminium tyres had a low coefficient of friction and wore swiftly, resulting in loads of insulating black muck quickly limiting current collection. Sold my E4 long ago, still have the very pretty J15 on old Romfords, rather regret not having a go at their Y5 'Coffee Pot', don't know if there has been a kit for one of these since.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Hello Tony,

Kind Regards,

Brian

Good evening Brian,

Suitable words? Any ones you can think of. 

On that matter, I recall in a Viz publication the World Record (in Viz) for the amount of time before a profanity was repeated was over 30 seconds. The record holder was one ????????? who, having dropped a Land Rover heavy-duty battery on his foot, swore for over half a minute before repeating 'tw*t'! 

I thought it was amusing.

Regarding self-assembly gearboxes, do you see why I prefer to use ready-made ones? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Could BEC kits be considered obscure? Perhaps, or at least to today's non-building generation of modellers.

BECD1103.jpg.644160ed18b456a3b76aeb8a86f0314c.jpg

I made this ancient example some little time ago.

BECD1162662.jpg.85637730b52167f84cfca1dd3afa54fc.jpg

Which Geoff Haynes painted.

BecJ1765533.jpg.860a08b0d2fca5e77cbd1d62fb290fdd.jpg

David Rae made this J17.

BecJ1765582.jpg.f395a88c2258cef7a26f320c9ed83b61.jpg

And I can't recall who brought this BEC J17 along. 

• Like 14

Would Anchorage loco kits be considered obscure as well?

I believe they were first available through M G Sharpe, and I have two on Little Bytham.

The first..........

AnchorageJ39.jpg.c101227240323f15df37e8bac09d6266.jpg

A J39, built by Allan Hammet for the late Stephen Gradidge (in LNER livery).

Tony Geary repainted/weathered it in BR condition, and it ran as Charwelton's pick-up loco.

All I've done to it is to fit the lubricator drive. 

And the second...........

AnchorageK361823.jpg.dfd090f9901a96980a9b7eac368922bd.jpg

This exquisite K3, entirely the work of Tony Geary. 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

Haven't seen Sayer-Chaplin etched kits mentioned.  You had to cut out the components with a piercing saw.

I thought of those, but I don't have any pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

22 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Brian,

I would normally do as Tony does and solder the brake gear up solid.  When I do I use 0.5mm wire to support the tops of the brake hangers and this gives a small amount of flex which allows a wheel and axle to be removed by easing the brake shoe past the flange of the wheel as it is extracted.  This is not possible for locos or tenders that have outside brake pull rods.  In that case I build up the hangers and cross shafts as a removable unit.  The top supports for the hangers are again formed from 0.5mm wire but this time I place short brass tubes over the supports of a length to ensure the hanger is at the correct distance from the side of the frames so as to align the shoes with the wheel treads.  The hangers can then be flexed away from their stub end supports and the assembly rotated away so as to permit the removal of the wheels for painting etc.  The following pictures of a J52 chassis under construction should help to illustrate what I'm describing.

The J52 Chassis With Outside Brake Pull Rods Trapping The Wheels:

IMG_7188.jpg.99e374fb2a8bcd19699a1fb4b4e7971d.jpg

Brake Assembly Hinged At The Rear Cross Shaft Can be Released So To Permit Wheel Removal: 

IMG_7187.jpg.684cdc5cd2aca13dbf322068fcfc6b03.jpg

Regards,

Frank

Looks good this chassis Frank . Could you tell me which H.L. motor and gearbox you used please . Is it sprung/equalised ? And they look like Sharman wheels ? 

Thanks .   Regards, Roy .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Huge disappointment, looked lovely, but the aluminium tyres had a low coefficient of friction and wore swiftly, resulting in loads of insulating black muck quickly limiting current collection. Sold my E4 long ago, still have the very pretty J15 on old Romfords, rather regret not having a go at their Y5 'Coffee Pot', don't know if there has been a kit for one of these since.

High Level do one :)

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/ger-class-209-lner-y5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1