Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Not only GW types, Tony.....

IMG_7928.jpeg.badfc885b2c6793407736e90e6d4c004.jpeg

I bought this many decades ago, as tender-only kit.  It is mainly whitemetal but includes etched parts for coal rails, guard irons and brake gear, and the etch includes all the etched parts for the loco as well!  As you can see, the instructions are those for the complete kit as well.

I must have had some purpose in mind for it when I bought it, but whatever that was it remains unbuilt to this day.

Good evening Steve,

Thanks for that.

Did the M&L range become part of Autocom? The reason I ask is that much of that range was absorbed into South Eastern Finecast and, latterly, Nu-Cast & Partners. I chatted to Dave Ellis about the prospect of reintroducing a D2/D3 (the previous M&L ones?) from the absorbed range, but, with Dave's retirement, that probably won't happen now.

A pity. However, anyone contemplating building a D2 or D3 today should look no further than the London Road examples...........

2ndLRMD214paintedonlayout.jpg.5381b91b7bea6158e9a56b1c4e109c08.jpg

D2 built/painted by me.

D36213502.jpg.df4a32e94c3f6ddfd2f194150fd0767f.jpg

D3 built by me, painted/weathered by Geoff Haynes.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, copleyhill007 said:

WSM also produced the N1 tank. Tony has one in his possession. Still in its box!

I did have Dave,

But I sold it for CRUK. 

I don't have a picture of a WSM N1. However..............

LittleEnginesN1andtrain.jpg.2ef61e01de0ece0df29d22edc5276e8a.jpg

According to the picture's description, this one is built from a Little Engines kit (by whom, I can't remember).

Little Engines' LNER range of kits was certainly not obscure. In fact, I have several and have photographed others. 

I'll dig them out.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Tony

If it would be of interest I have a number of Southern kit built locos by 'obscure' or lesser known manufacturers, most of which are now defunct; in particular I have several from Ace Products.

As an example, this is a Billinton / ex-LB&SCR K class, built, painted & lined for me by Chris Phillips & then weathered by the late Mick Bonwick:

SJP2024-07-0709-46-36(CS4)02200831.jpg.731943e1e2ab3b4d4d07819f6bf61d3c.jpg

I believe that it wasn't the easiest build but it seems to have made up well in the end!

Tony

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Now I look again, it looks more like an F3 and the number is certainly an F3: that's the one I was planning on building as it was the last survivor.   I'm not sure what's going on with that hatch behind the cab doors, though.

67127_stratford_03-05-53.jpg.db965ffba83030d40e3ee7b4e38710d2.jpg

Were any of the F3s adapted as fire-fighting locos during WW2?

I've a feeling that I've seen similar hatches on such adaptations.

CJI.

3 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Would Craftsman now be classed as obscure ?

Pete

I don't know, Pete,

What do others think?

I'll see what I can find..............

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Now I look again, it looks more like an F3 and the number is certainly an F3: that's the one I was planning on building as it was the last survivor.   I'm not sure what's going on with that hatch behind the cab doors, though.

67127_stratford_03-05-53.jpg.db965ffba83030d40e3ee7b4e38710d2.jpg

The spring arrangement is similar to the front so needed an access panel to inspect and lubricate etc.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony.

Do you think you could you describe your method for installing brake gear please - I'm in the process of building a Comet Jinty Chassis Kit (my first) and I'd like to be able to fit & remove the wheels (Markits) whilst still having the brake gear positioned as realistically as is practical whilst ideally not have to disturb it to do so - do any methods allow this please?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Brian

Obscure manufacturers? I remember the Ratio plastic loco kits too, and I wondered if Craftsman (now mentioned above) counted as obscure. How about Kingdom Kits, from Fife? I know only of their OO Robinson ex-GCR L1/L3 kit, which I thought was okay if you ignored the instructions and turned the six-coupled part of the chassis the other way around to get the correct wheelbase dimensions. Did they do any other OO locos?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Mike,

Bytham's platforms have been struck a few times by visiting locos with whirling outside cranks!

Though I wouldn't put your kits in the 'obscure' category, you've certainly produced some interesting ones. Including.........

Retford2382005Hunsletdieselshunter.jpg.ddb7ea589670e461d76c3061e60ad1da.jpg

This Hunslet diesel shunter, built by elder son Tom in his student days.

He built it in EM and it now runs on Retford (Sandra Orpen says she'll paint it one day!). 

He had it on display at one show and one observer would not accept that he'd built it (he was 19). 'That's your dad's work' he was told. He couldn't have been more wrong! 

I believe a couple of these actual locos were at Sheffield, so it's just possible one made it to Retford. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Some lovely models photographed there Tony.  As a matter of interest did the Corris Falcon run, because in the photo it looks as though the rear driving wheel is lifted off the rails by the flange on the pony wheel holding up the cab?

Nigel

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Some obscure, at least to me kit brands of old - 

Stelfox - all brass loco kits, including castings in 4mm. I'm aware of N7 and J17 kits. They also did a GER open wagon in plastic - which we recently found out was actually manufactured by Ian Kirk, who is considering resurrecting it - if you are interested, please contact him!

Sheldrake - Douglas Sheldrake - known kits are all 7mm and GER oriented. T19 and D27 apparently exist, and I am fortunate to have two T26s (LNER E4). Early '80s origin so certainly can be improved upon but they look like they will build into a nice representation. 

Constructeon - only known kit is a 4mm BR Class 14 "Teddy bear". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Obscure manufacturers? I remember the Ratio plastic loco kits too, and I wondered if Craftsman (now mentioned above) counted as obscure. How about Kingdom Kits, from Fife? I know only of their OO Robinson ex-GCR L1/L3 kit, which I thought was okay if you ignored the instructions and turned the six-coupled part of the chassis the other way around to get the correct wheelbase dimensions. Did they do any other OO locos?

Kingdom kits also did a Barclay 16” 0-4-0ST.  Googling found this image of one them sold in an auction with one of the one you mention:

https://www.vectis.co.uk/439-lot-468701

The search also came up with this of one built:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kit-built-andrew-barclay-4-industrial-237277872

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Small companies, making 'obscure' loco kits used to be quite common. However as a lessening demand, age, mortality, a decline in modelling skills and increasing costs take effect, then the disappearance of such ranges is inevitable.

Mike Morris is still developing his range of SW models that are mixed media and right up to modern standards https://88d.uk/

He has the Barry B1 and this Rhymney Stephenson amongst others

RR AP.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I think this is the Kingdom kits AB 16in 0-4-0ST

NCB6.JPG.77233c1337fe556c95402fbee119333e.JPG

Photographed here at Herculaneum Dock, I built this for Cwmafon in 1991, from what I remember it was a really good kit.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, JamesSpooner said:

Some lovely models photographed there Tony.  As a matter of interest did the Corris Falcon run, because in the photo it looks as though the rear driving wheel is lifted off the rails by the flange on the pony wheel holding up the cab?

Nigel

Good morning Nigel,

I don't know (I never tried it), but I doubt it, looking at how the rear drivers are elevated. 

I still can't recall who brought it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Some obscure, at least to me kit brands of old - 

Stelfox - all brass loco kits, including castings in 4mm. I'm aware of N7 and J17 kits. They also did a GER open wagon in plastic - which we recently found out was actually manufactured by Ian Kirk, who is considering resurrecting it - if you are interested, please contact him!

Sheldrake - Douglas Sheldrake - known kits are all 7mm and GER oriented. T19 and D27 apparently exist, and I am fortunate to have two T26s (LNER E4). Early '80s origin so certainly can be improved upon but they look like they will build into a nice representation. 

Constructeon - only known kit is a 4mm BR Class 14 "Teddy bear". 

Good morning Rich,

I believe Tony Geary used Stelfox cylinders/motion on the replacement chassis for his (original split-chassis) Bachmann B1s...............

61078.jpg.2dcf80744fadeb0c4f0bac0973a51f2d.jpg

61206model02.jpg.974d2e02984df91b1b621ad7d91a7196.jpg

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1