Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

It's known he did, as it's signed.  The loco is the work of Mike Edge and now belongs to me.

Thanks Jonathan,

I thought we couldn't find a signature.

It's certainly a beautiful locomotive...........

Trainsrunning35B3onPullman.jpg.e9b62302c75b59ef6f4e9d043e087ff1.jpg

The work of two master craftsmen at the top of their game!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I thought we couldn't find a signature.

I think you're thinking of Mike's builder's plate, which we believe Larry removed.   He has very kindly made me a replacement which is now attached.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon again Doug,

'Tony you have done the "cheap" modelling articles what about the starters articles on how to rename and number with contacts for say "Fox" to get people to have the confidence to "have a go". '

I've done loads of such articles.............

6053801.jpg.7291358964f03ce3a8317beeb312c0f9.jpg

6053804.jpg.16313501e0ffa1a03b10ac8f14aede53.jpg

Renumbering/renaming/detailing this Bachmann A2 (beautifully-weathered by Tom Foster).

BTimes03.jpg.69f91330c5d8d12a7f651851623b2d8b.jpg

BTimes08.jpg.a7876e1f72e933a5ecf8e04d8c7533e0.jpg

BTimes12.jpg.86625752764d093c2ce54549538d5ce6.jpg

BTimes16.jpg.71db5bacd8d53cc1478aaecfb3b117f3.jpg

And this Bachmann Patriot........

More to come when I can find them.

Regards,

Tony.

These type of articles seem to have fallen out of favor is what I was suggesting, yes, we have the long winded articles in how to weather, install sound chips with massive speakers etc. But the simple ones which, even as you semi suggest with your "cheap" modelling we can all do with easy modelling to build confidence or steal time to do some modelling in a increasingly busy life. Sorry I dont like the word "busy" as some people use it as the excuse to not do things. We have all heard the "busy off" in coffee shops or from friends, "I am sooo busy... I have  XYZ today", "Oh yes, we are soo busy too, we have ABC and DEF" but it is nice to catch up for 5 minutes. 

We all would love to have 2 to 3 hours a day to do modelling or what ever but we all end up having to do other things... So the 5 minute modelling ideas could be useful for the time staved modeller!  They have just fallen out of editors views at the moment. I have noticed with some magazines there has to be a 30photo and description, lego instruction style article, on weathering, making a building, trees etc I could see a similar quick modelling page being a series that might get some arm chairs to the table!  This is also a issue with a lot of the youtube channels where the presenter is building massive new layouts and has time to both film, edit and do the modelling. The quick and easy things some times are more enjoyable but wouldnt excite the audience or maybe get the views! 

I will say Tony you are one of the few authors who do both styles of article the massive V2 build from Nucast with a Branchlines/ Comet chassis etc to the quick rename. I apologize if I came across in any other way. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, DougN said:

These type of articles seem to have fallen out of favor is what I was suggesting, yes, we have the long winded articles in how to weather, install sound chips with massive speakers etc. But the simple ones which, even as you semi suggest with your "cheap" modelling we can all do with easy modelling to build confidence or steal time to do some modelling in a increasingly busy life. Sorry I dont like the word "busy" as some people use it as the excuse to not do things. We have all heard the "busy off" in coffee shops or from friends, "I am sooo busy... I have  XYZ today", "Oh yes, we are soo busy too, we have ABC and DEF" but it is nice to catch up for 5 minutes. 

We all would love to have 2 to 3 hours a day to do modelling or what ever but we all end up having to do other things... So the 5 minute modelling ideas could be useful for the time staved modeller!  They have just fallen out of editors views at the moment. I have noticed with some magazines there has to be a 30photo and description, lego instruction style article, on weathering, making a building, trees etc I could see a similar quick modelling page being a series that might get some arm chairs to the table!  This is also a issue with a lot of the youtube channels where the presenter is building massive new layouts and has time to both film, edit and do the modelling. The quick and easy things some times are more enjoyable but wouldnt excite the audience or maybe get the views! 

I will say Tony you are one of the few authors who do both styles of article the massive V2 build from Nucast with a Branchlines/ Comet chassis etc to the quick rename. I apologize if I came across in any other way. 

Good morning Doug,

There is no need to apologise at all. In fact, I share your views. 

I think the biggest shift with regard to articles in the model railway press has been the development (sorry for the pun) of digital photography. The first 'layout article' I wrote was published 40 years ago, after Brian Monaghan had taken pictures of WMRC's Fordley Park (I'd penned a few notes in the MRC before that). After that, I did my own photography, writing articles on locos (which were completed at the time), and then 'constructional', 'step-by-step' pieces. The thing about these were that there were few steps, because every one was recorded on film (latterly, medium format). This was expensive, and slow; slow, because after a few of the few 'steps', it was develop the film and print the results (I had my own home darkroom), making sure they were what I wanted. If not, it was repeat the process. 

The end result was that any articles were 'text-heavy', and 'meaty' because of it; no more than five or six pictures spread over four pages. With digital photography, it's totally the opposite. No mucking about with chemicals and Stygian gloom, but an instant image in the back of the camera telling one if the result is satisfactory. Take one shot, do a bit more, take another, do at bit, and so on and so on.......... The finished article then becomes 'picture-heavy', often with a few brief captions, whereas the captions in a 'text-heavy' article are often extended. Some have suggested that this has a 'dumbing-down' effect - people would rather look at pictures than bother to read! I suppose the old adage of 'a picture is worth a thousand words' comes to the fore. 

My writing of articles (I can't recall how many, but it must be over a thousand by now!), has (out of professional necessity) covered a very wide spectrum; from a description of how to build a complex metal kit for a big loco, to how to fix nameplates on or add lamps. There was a time, not so long ago, when I was told by one past-editor that my writing a piece on how to build a large Pacific was 'way above' the readership (whatever that meant). Thankfully, that 'dismal' and 'defeatist' view has gone, though, time was when I was writing reviews almost once a month about new loco kits which were appearing, from a wide range of manufacturers. 

I'm quite happy writing 'simple' articles now. Articles on 'cheap' modelling or about very simple projects. Whether these will 'turn the tide', and encourage more folk to 'have a go' themselves might be a vain hope. My perception is that there are fewer folk in this hobby prepared to actually 'model', other than open boxes and place their most-recent acquisitions on the track. Aren't there some videos describing just how to do that? Groan...............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I prefer to use epoxy (the 5 minute type normally) in preference to 'Superglue' (although I do use the latter), so if I only have a few minutes for a quick modelling task, I find it useful to epoxy some item or component in place (such as a lead weight in an otherwise light piece of rolling stock). This kind of task doesn't take more than a few minutes and I can then go off and do something else, whilst the glue goes off.

I am the kind of person who is often uncomfortable with having too many projects on the go at the same time. I like to 'knuckle down' and get each individual project finished, before proceeding to the next one but if I want a 'quickie' project, I usually find that a Parkside wagon kit or similar is sufficient...

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

My perception is that fewer and fewer 'modellers' are prepared to undertake such relatively simple jobs. They're 'timid', have little confidence, scared of ruining an expensive purchase and either don't bother or pass on the work to someone else. 

Agree Tony, splendid work! It is a shortish step from improving a RTR loco to building a white metal kit.....

PS I have not done so yet but plan to replace the too thick A2/2 smokebox mounted "wing plates" in addition to your improvements.

Kind regards,

Sorry - bit slow off the mark so this comment a bit out of place!

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 30368 said:

It is a shortish step from improving a RTR loco to building a white metal kit.....

Indeed and possibly the main thing here is to actually 'have a go'...

People are probably more likely to have a go with a cheaper RTR model, perhaps something second hand, than a brand new release that cost around £200...

As for whitemetal kits, there are some unmade DJH kits being actioned by Vectis at the end of the month - https://www.vectis.co.uk/model-train-auction/2024-07-25?attr_val=e30%3D&cat=W10%3D&display=grid&el=1009316&header_id=0&hest=1800&keyword=&lest=10&lo=ASC&pn=6&pp=96&scat=W10%3D

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DougN said:

Was this in BRM, and if so do you recall what issue(s) please as I'd be interested in obtaining a copy? Many thanks.

Brian

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Was this in BRM, and if so do you recall what issue(s) please as I'd be interested in obtaining a copy? Many thanks.

Brian

Good morning Brian,

It was in BRM (in the last century). It was published in conjunction with my review of the Pro-Scale V2, but in which issue, I can't recall. Other than some of the books I've written, I never keep issues of any mags with my articles in.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Ooh doesn't Sir have lovely skin?  You can hardly see any of the soldering burn and craft knife scars.......

Good morning Rob,

'Lovely skin', I might have - and I also have non-chewed fingernails.

In one book I was commissioned to do the photographs for (a 'how-to' book), the author would set up all the constructional steps, then my hands were substituted (I'd set up the shot, then he pressed the shutter). Why? He bitten his fingernails down until they were virtually non-existent! His hands would have looked ghastly in the pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Brian

Appreciate it would be a massive undertaking (not as massive as Peco's with Railway Modeller!)  but it would be so useful if BRM could complete their digital archive so that we could access the goldmine of information from 'the classic years'. How about it @Phil Parker?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Appreciate it would be a massive undertaking (not as massive as Peco's with Railway Modeller!)  but it would be so useful if BRM could complete their digital archive so that we could access the goldmine of information from 'the classic years'. How about it @Phil Parker?

That might even tempt me to "go for gold" if that were the price to be paid!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

In the latest issue of BRM, there's one of my articles on 'cheap' modelling, included in which is this B1..........

61213weathered.jpg.721ac5feb46b4ef8e95f5eb72dbaab5d.jpg

It was a dud Bachmann one, bought for very little from the model shop in Grantham. It ran, but only just - characterised by the typical split-chassis lumpiness and wobbling. By securing the plastic driving axle muffs, I actually got it to run quite well, making it real bargain.

However, for consistency, I've replaced the original chassis with a Comet one.

61213newchassis11motionpainted.jpg.2c138da21d57093b539ed805300d50e9.jpg

Which makes an interesting comparison. 

This one runs far better, anyway. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Brian

HI,

I built a Proscale V2 too and someone (can't remember who) sent me a copy of the article.

BRM June 195 Proscale V2 Construction Reviews.pdf

Hope this helps,

Edited by 30368
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In the latest issue of BRM, there's one of my articles on 'cheap' modelling, included in which is this B1..........

61213weathered.jpg.721ac5feb46b4ef8e95f5eb72dbaab5d.jpg

It was a dud Bachmann one, bought for very little from the model shop in Grantham. It ran, but only just - characterised by the typical split-chassis lumpiness and wobbling. By securing the plastic driving axle muffs, I actually got it to run quite well, making it real bargain.

However, for consistency, I've replaced the original chassis with a Comet one.

61213newchassis11motionpainted.jpg.2c138da21d57093b539ed805300d50e9.jpg

Which makes an interesting comparison. 

This one runs far better, anyway. 

Perhaps worth noting that more recent Bachmann B1's have a conventional chassis that runs very sweetly (albeit very light so needs additional weight in the body) and has a DCC socket. 

• Informative/Useful 3