Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hornby's latest wagon release in its Railroad range, an OAA...........

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA01.jpg.9820e37aa0476d59bec40c2638f00ef0.jpg

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA02.jpg.6ace914022dc21d2fab879e1f0f17b17.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these? 

The axles are pivoted, and seem to work (obviously designed for minimum Setrack), though has there ever been a more gross coupling?

Comments appreciated, please.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Rather more than long in the tooth. First produced in 1987: 

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=723

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Railroad range

Has play value.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Rather more than long in the tooth. First produced in 1987: 

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=723

Has play value.

I actually thought it was older than that, when they were originally (wrongly) given the TOPS code OBA.  I think the body is quite accurate but the chassis needs work for a scale model (fixing the rotating axles is a good start) and as Sir says, are intended for 1st radius curves.  Always a weak point in these  - and in almost all open wagons of the time - is that the side doors have no corresponding detail on the inside, so really need a load.

Under @Tony Wright lighting, the Railfreight colours look very good.  Hard to believe this livery is, to young enthusiasts now, as old as pre-Nationalisation liveries were to me when this model was introduced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Jersie Lily, surely?

Wikipedia says: “Born in 1853 and known as Lillie from childhood …”, and the pub named after her in Nottingham certainly agrees. I suspect railway authors unfamiliar with the lady and her various talents and physical attributes got it wrong. 

Though apparently the engines’ nickname was only indirectly connected; the story goes that the landlady of a pub near

Gorton Works at the time  was of a particularly voluptuous (or at least, over-generous shape), and after a few pints the customers would make joking (and probably teasing) reference to her being the nearest thing they had locally to the actress. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Wikipedia says: “Born in 1853 and known as Lillie from childhood …”, and the pub named after her in Nottingham certainly agrees. I suspect railway authors unfamiliar with the lady and her various talents and physical attributes got it wrong. 

Though apparently the engines’ nickname was only indirectly connected; the story goes that the landlady of a pub near

Gorton Works at the time  was of a particularly voluptuous (or at least, over-generous shape), and after a few pints the customers would make joking (and probably teasing) reference to her being the nearest thing they had locally to the actress. 

Don't say anything derogatory of the Jersey Lillie to Judge Roy Bean!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, 30368 said:

Interesting point - the criteria you have set is mine too. I am currently building B7 61711 which lasted until mid 1950 and sported "British Railways" on its tender. I have already built the last remaining B9 4-6-0 (61475, lasted until June 1949) which was re-numbered but still had "LNER" on the tender so perhaps does not quite meet the requirement? Anyway, this is how it looks:

This was built from a Judith Edge set of etches, which required a scratch built boiler and firebox but templates are provided. The etches are first class and free of charge is the invaluable web help and support form Michael Edge.

IMG_6539(2).JPG.326be0033f491740bc48d2e8318d063a.JPG

IMG_6543(2).JPG.0f4c631b264371c9230f236bdbb44d35.JPG

Quite a nice looking locomotive.

Kind regards,

Probably would make sense to provisionally say that as long as it had a BR number applied, or had BR 'transitional' livery (is that the proper term for when they spelled out "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender?) it can count....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Understood. Lillie Langtry was known as 'the Jersey Lily', punning on Amaryllis belladonna.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've just had a look at all these beautiful locos that have been built and painted by talented people. What a wonderful way of spending some down time! My work has been rather nuts so last few weeks, so I sat down to do some "easy" modelling installing new name plates on a couple of locos and renaming and renumbering another. (OK it was a loco I had just bought a new Hornby Empire of India to become Union of South Africa)  This has got me  thinking, dangerous I know, when did modelers go from makers to box openers? OK I love a long hard slog on a loco kit or something for the layout. However do we need the how to articles of "easy afternoon/evening" modelling to encourage people to do. I must admit I have not seen a "easy" or quick article in a long time. 

Tony you have done the "cheap" modelling articles what about the starters articles on how to rename and number with contacts for say "Fox" to get people to have the confidence to "have a go". 

My quick modelling had all been done in about 2 hours but that was made up of installing new plates on Commonwealth of Australia and Empire of India. Then it was onto the renaming to Union of South Africa which included removing the latest Hornby printing of the numbers and coat of arms. As another aside I noted the Name plates on the A4s if short were rear edge to the boiler band and if long the front top corner almost touching the parabolic lining and ending where necessary for the Coronation locomotives. I still don't have "collect A4's in LNER" out of my system I am up to 17! 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's latest wagon release in its Railroad range, an OAA...........

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA01.jpg.9820e37aa0476d59bec40c2638f00ef0.jpg

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA02.jpg.6ace914022dc21d2fab879e1f0f17b17.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these? 

The axles are pivoted, and seem to work (obviously designed for minimum Setrack), though has there ever been a more gross coupling?

The old Hornby OAA. Not a bad model but a bit crude.

I think it was originally marked OBA, which is wrong.

Cambrian considered using the chassis for their  OBA OCA SPA,  but as a buyer i said, supply a chassis.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

WainwrightDRHS.jpg.9eacc9504e71941a99f65a6c1af35ae9.jpg

Now I am busy mentally transposing this delight into the photograph of a Wainwright D in the 1930s, very painterly with 'steam'* floating about it, as reproduced in The Big Four in Colour.

* I cannot bring myself to make this correctly 'water vapour'; too unpoetic.

Whatever, applause to all involved in making this model, and all the others displayed today.

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

has there ever been a more gross coupling?

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Plenty, mostly from Lima.

The plastic H-D coupler surely jostling for the top spot in grossness among the couplers offerred by the most popular OO brands, Yours Faithfully, Major Beckward-Lurch

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DougN said:

I've just had a look at all these beautiful locos that have been built and painted by talented people. What a wonderful way of spending some down time! My work has been rather nuts so last few weeks, so I sat down to do some "easy" modelling installing new name plates on a couple of locos and renaming and renumbering another. (OK it was a loco I had just bought a new Hornby Empire of India to become Union of South Africa)  This has got me  thinking, dangerous I know, when did modelers go from makers to box openers? OK I love a long hard slog on a loco kit or something for the layout. However do we need the how to articles of "easy afternoon/evening" modelling to encourage people to do. I must admit I have not seen a "easy" or quick article in a long time. 

Tony you have done the "cheap" modelling articles what about the starters articles on how to rename and number with contacts for say "Fox" to get people to have the confidence to "have a go". 

My quick modelling had all been done in about 2 hours but that was made up of installing new plates on Commonwealth of Australia and Empire of India. Then it was onto the renaming to Union of South Africa which included removing the latest Hornby printing of the numbers and coat of arms. As another aside I noted the Name plates on the A4s if short were rear edge to the boiler band and if long the front top corner almost touching the parabolic lining and ending where necessary for the Coronation locomotives. I still don't have "collect A4's in LNER" out of my system I am up to 17! 

Good afternoon Doug,

Beware generalising about the position of A4 nameplates...........

Some examples............

60002GroveRoad.jpg.e327d0c3ecde7374ed4b1b2594d8d4e2.jpg

Long nameplate set well back.

60007small.jpg.d704d3101d0b70fe067f850b2820a34e.jpg

Medium length nameplate set well forward. 

60008small.jpg.2842981459d3d9b072cc1101d1a53c49.jpg

Long nameplate set well back.

60009small.jpg.a4f563739cd79de06cc25024b0d2436a.jpg

Long nameplate set well forward.

I'll be responding to your other comments.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1