Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thanks Tony - cab roof duly amended.

According to a well placed local model shop source, the next batch of Hornby A2/2s are allegedly due just before Christmas. Their delay may well have been due to revisions of the livery and construction flaws you mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

I'll ask him.

Do you have a photograph of your 60505, please?

Definitely time for another chat..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

I'll take one this afternoon, if it hasn't buried itself in shame.

Is your weekend schedule busy?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Good morning Tony,

I'll take one this afternoon, if it hasn't buried itself in shame.

Is your weekend schedule busy?

Thanks Jesse,

No matter how busy I am, there's always time for a chat.

I have a friend staying over this weekend, and we're going to spend the time making a locomotive - his first. He's the pupil and I'm the tutor, and he'll do the work (a bit like the time you and I have spent together here, though you're far more-experienced). 

I'll be taking photographs, so watch this space.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

It's come my way once more to find new homes for model railway equipment on behalf of a widow.

I went over to see the model railway yesterday (it's in a garage) and my job, along with a friend, will be to break up the layout (it's literally 'all in one piece', with no thought given to how it might be dismantled without damage - no breaks in trackwork at baseboard joints, that sort of thing). It's not big, but the collection of locos and rolling stock seems quite extensive. From what I can see, it's mainly RTR-based (though with some modifications), so I won't be selling it personally (Mo and I only sell kit-built stock on behalf of bereaved/distressed families). It'll be sorted, and then offered to a trader I know. That said, does anyone know what a brand new Bachmann G5 might be worth? Second-hand, now, of course, but still in its original wrapping. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's come my way once more to find new homes for model railway equipment on behalf of a widow.

I went over to see the model railway yesterday (it's in a garage) and my job, along with a friend, will be to break up the layout (it's literally 'all in one piece', with no thought given to how it might be dismantled without damage - no breaks in trackwork at baseboard joints, that sort of thing). It's not big, but the collection of locos and rolling stock seems quite extensive. From what I can see, it's mainly RTR-based (though with some modifications), so I won't be selling it personally (Mo and I only sell kit-built stock on behalf of bereaved/distressed families). It'll be sorted, and then offered to a trader I know. That said, does anyone know what a brand new Bachmann G5 might be worth? Second-hand, now, of course, but still in its original wrapping. 

Bachmann G5s are going new for £180-plus on ebay.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2024 at 20:16, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that Eric.

From the time of their rebuilding to their moving south to York and New England in the early-'50s, they remained in Scotland. Worth having one as first rebuilt? Rule 1 and all that. 

I think I've read just about every work on the subject of their interesting (though depressing) conversion from 2-8-2s to 4-6-2s. Certainly Geoff Lund's and Eric Trask's notes from the time of the rebuilding (both were involved in running the P2s at Haymarket) suggest they did not want the P2s rebuilt (didn't Peppercorn have to travel north to 'quell a riot' at the time?). Yes, the giants had their faults, but the rebuilds (because of their much lower factor of adhesion) could no longer take the heaviest trains. Didn't one of the drivers state that 'they'd slip on Portobello Sands'? Their subsequent move south to depots where the work was less taxing rather says it all. 

As I said yesterday, controversy will always follow the A2/2s. Some notable authors (the likes of Rogers and Yeadon) have nothing but contempt for the A2/2s (all Thompson's Pacifics in fact), and Nock couldn't understand the rebuilding at all. More recent authors have been more sympathetic to ET, perhaps with some justification.

All I know is that I saw the A2/2s in my trainspotting days, but puzzled why the COCK O' THE NORTH photo in my Eagle Book of Trains (or some other contemporary boys' book) looked so different to the one standing on 50A in 1957. At the time, I knew nothing of the story, though it was a 'cop'!

Let's see what my mentioning of ET (again) brings this time!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Yes the Portobello Sands quote is true.  Back in the 60s a couple of retired Haymarket drivers/firemen gave a talk to the RCTS in one of the winter meetings and said that in all seriousness.

During the War the average consist of many passenger trains leaving The Waverley was increased due to the great number of servicemen travelling south to Kings Cross. My father who was in the RAF travelled quite often on these trains and told me that not only were there a fair number of extra coaches on but they were jam packed with troops plus their kit and it was quite the norm to be standing room only to Kings Cross!

Haymarket decided to use the P2s for these turns as they could cope with the extra weight without a problem however, somewhere along the line this was brought to Mr. T's notice and he issued an immediate order to stop their use for south bound trains. Haymarket went along with it for a short time then started it up again and once more Mr. T. heard about it. He was apparently extremely annoyed and decided to send A. H. Peppercorn up to the main office in Waterloo Place, just a few minutes away from The Waverley to "read the riot act". This would have been a bit of a trial for him as A.H.P. was by all accounts, a mild manner personable man!

Another Wartime railway story!

Eric

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Ollie,

Is 60502 going to be produced? (I seem to have read that somewhere, but I'm afraid I don't follow the RTR announcements these days - it's quicker, and lazier on my part, to just any questions on here).

Must admit I had forgotten they were doing a second run! Just had a look and the next batch will be 60502, and Airborne in ‘unshaded’ LNER livery. Like @Jesse Sim my A2/2 was an out-of-period treat. Funds now (at last) being concentrated on layout construction, not rolling stock acquisition. Bit hot in the loft lately…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it does look like a Duchess. Actually it's quite nice. Not nice enough to tempt me but nice none the less.

Now if they brought out a 2F or a DF goods and maybe a nice little 2-4-0 and some Clayton 6 wheelers I might be very tempted. So what are the chances of that?

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Millholme  kits here's one of mine. Bought part built  and some of it would not come apart! I am at a stage where i have to keep going  'cos if it goes back in the box will it ever emerge again? and I do rather like the Dreadnoughts such a shame they were a near miss.

I also have a L&Y Baltic very badly put together, for a later test of my enthusiasm!  I should  add that I have changed a few things like extending the frames at the front, plastic water pipe to replace the undersized boiler and plasticard slips to represent the built up smokebox. Mulling over wether to extend the front bogie by 2mm as its wheelbase is too short.

LYDrEADNOUGHT.jpg.6b986421f0913a29b90c0b4c02d8cf9c.jpg

L&Y DREADNOUGHT !.jpg

On the one I built to represent the last builds (shown somewhere above) I sourced a longer bogie but can't remember where from - maybe I already hd it amongst my spares. They do look so much better with water pipe for the boiler.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Well it does look like a Duchess. Actually it's quite nice. Not nice enough to tempt me but nice none the less.

Now if they brought out a 2F or a DF goods and maybe a nice little 2-4-0 and some Clayton 6 wheelers I might be very tempted. So what are the chances of that?

Regards Lez.

As it's Hornby we're talking about, highly unlikely before they have done every LNER loco with more than ten wheels.

TT:120 may be adventurous, but I don't think that stretches to choice of prototypes.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

The new Hornby TT Princess Coronation makes an interesting comparison............

HornbyTTDuchess07comparison.jpg.d6e480dd033511bd9e981ee7d96212c2.jpg

With an OO example (DJH/Wright/Haynes). 

It's really too small for me now, though it's certainly a 'Duchess' and has an historical link with other Hornby locos carrying the number 6231 down the years. 

I've done the same thing.............

Dapol9Fcomparison.jpg.e7ecf7ddcbc86fce4904f3c5be77364b.jpg

Between Bachmann's and Dapol's respective 9Fs. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 26/06/2024 at 23:59, JeremyC said:

I use a smear of epoxy or thin super glue on the offending component. I sometimes add a layer of tissue paper and saturated it with the thin super glue, as it's more durable than just the glue alone.

That's done the trick, thanks

Mark in Melbourne

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davefrk said:

Millholme kits, good in their day but In my experience the later castings were very poor and lumpy due to the moulds being worn. I got one of the first Ivatt 4MTs kits and it was okay but I built a few later releases and as I say the castings needed a lot of work. Here is one built in P4 for a customer, scratch chassis, Mashima motor, Ultrascale wheels and a lot of work done on the castings.

CopyofCopyofI000047.jpg.cf44b412a3f573593d8d744c8cacab80.jpg

This loco was later presumed stolen when house renovations were going on so if you see it let me know and I'll tell the owner.

Dave.

Thanks for showing us this fine model, Dave.

You've certainly taken it much further than the basic kit. 

Ivatt 4MTs have a sort of 'brutish' beauty, if that's not too much of an oxymoron. 

Bytham has five, all running on the MR/M&GNR bit. I've taken pictures of them this afternoon, all from more or less the same angle. The usual things such as wonky lamps and the odd cobweb only reveal themselves in photographs...............

BachmannIvatt4MT43106.jpg.e153f208e7a04be21ab185fc8c12c2c8.jpg

A basic Bachmann one, just detailed and weathered slightly.

BachmannIvatt4MT43107.jpg.d0a7408efca1faae92761461f2913f0c.jpg

Another Bachmann example, this one detailed/weathered by the late, great Dave Shakespeare. 

MillholmeIvatt4MT3002.jpg.f7c5611cb3243c230638d8fd728fa6ea.jpg

A Millholme one, from the collection of the late Brian Lee. It was finished in gloss black, so I've weathered it. 

MillholmeIvatt4MT43085.jpg.b1a79c0a20397d301436244a0b41c016.jpg

Another Millholme one (builder/painter unknown). It, too, was shiny, so I've toned it down.

The splattering on the cylinder front was caused by my soldering on the front steps (which weren't present), but I think it looks natural enough. 

Scratch-builtIvatt443127.jpg.a505ef5255567e5953e8a5322956a567.jpg

A very old scratch-built one. I say very old, because it must have been started over 60 years ago! At least three blokes worked on it in turn down the years, each one completing a bit before they died. It came my way via a friend, still incomplete, so I finished off the bodywork and built chassis for the loco and tender a few years ago. It's still my friend's property, and I'm still here!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

The other day, I showed shots of Bytham's A2/2s. In most cases, I cropped the images to concentrate on the loco. 

Afterwards, I thought of how much image manipulation/alteration is 'acceptable' in model railway photography. Certainly, I don't think cropping is a problem (in my film days, using medium-format equipment, cropping an image lost far less in definition that on a 35mm equivalent - that's why I always take digital images on the camera's highest resolution). 

Anyway.................

6050625June2401.jpg.9032cae6d783382d9e5434556d309cb5.jpg

This was one of the cropped images from the other day.

viewlookingnorthwithA22original.jpg.c6d53fffc7c03686278b29eb40b2c19b.jpg

But this was the whole image.

I liked the notion of including the pair of B1s in the composition, but the landscaping to the left of the A2/2's front end isn't too convincing (effectively, two separate railways meeting), there's the black edge to the baseboard to the right and the signal box should be much further away from the main line in reality. Not only that, the juxtapositions of the various backscene elements and the general background clutter catch the eye far too much.

So...........

viewlookingnorthwithA22altered01.jpg.b901982186002c04022fe56fbd666f27.jpg

Crop to remove those 'intrusions', clone a colour from the backscenes' skies (softening any edges), but any 'realism' is lost by the part of the express being at right angles to the main direction of travel. Normally, these right angle bends (at both ends) are invisible, but not from this sort of angle (it's one of the reasons I believe tight, visible right-angle bends ruin any chance of realism on layouts). 

By cloning the sky, what has also happened is that the signals are almost 'burnt-out' (this is common in pictures of the real thing, where light objects against a light sky can 'disappear'). 

How to address these issues?

viewlookingnorthwithA22altered02.jpg.2dd84d81f4cf03f06da3e8fb41c00104.jpg

Darkening the signals in Photoshop is acceptable as far as I'm concerned, but what about the 'trickery' in 'suggesting' that the main line continues on dead straight? 

I don't think it's quite 'right', but I'm open to opinions/suggestions. 

Does anyone have examples of how they've addressed these sorts of issues, please? 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A couple more snaps of my under-construction N/2mm layout while modelling is currently off the menu due to painful arthritis in the hands. The footbridge is roughly in place but without the platforms to sit on, and that's the next thing I plan to do - lay the through station tracks and add the platforms.

DSC07126crperred.jpg.17dd4b712c170eb9a7cb422813709f5e.jpg

DSC07122crperred.jpg.d915c71a2a8961b7a19661694fae744b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4