Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2024 at 12:09, Tony Wright said:

60013 was a regular on the 'Lizzie' in 1958.

Elizabethan002.jpg.2d52bb7adcde54b0cd35dd7a59f4f31b.jpg

Loverly shot Tony, you can almost feel the rush of parted air as she slams through LB with the chime whistle open ... leaving a train of dust and the odd bits of paper blowing in the wind

Never saw A4's untill No9 on the Torbay Expresses, but Being born in '59 I do remember Bullied's tearing through Sidmouth Jct in the mid 60's- happy days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

At the risk of giving you indigestion, I have two Millholme SR Urie H16 locos, the first of which is very familiar to you:

SJPSJPH16518_10217020902180529.jpg.e88e0ed6660caecce7e9c0d0538f8db9.jpg

As a model I think it is a pretty reasonable (layout loco) representation of the prototype but I know that it was not an easy build, and to this day, the limitations of the track geometry on my layout mean that restrictions have been placed upon where it can run - essentially it's long wheelbase means that it struggles with my 2'6" radius curves - but this is also true of the 2nd H16 which I bought 2nd hand on flea-bay, although you have very kindly helped in improving it's running which was pretty poor at acquisition:

SJPSJP2O4B74920216012702160127.jpg.e07f1339343ec73d8ce106b20bed62b2.jpg

I am very partial to the large SR tanks but several of them have given me operational problems that seem to arise from the length of the wheelbase, v.s. the limitations of my track.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I'd quite forgotten about the Millholme H16 I built for you.

I'm afraid the solution to getting it to run through your curves is to remove those prominent front steps. Many SR locos have this problem.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Loverly shot Tony, you can almost feel the rush of parted air as she slams through LB with the chime whistle open ... leaving a train of dust and the odd bits of paper blowing in the wind

Never saw A4's untill No9 on the Torbay Expresses, but Being born in '59 I do remember Bullied's tearing through Sidmouth Jct in the mid 60's- happy days

Thanks John, 

A few years in age difference in youth is crucial for remembering things from BR's steam age. Of no consequence now, but I was 13 when you were born. Thus old enough to remember A4s in their BR prime, at speed on the line for which they were built. 

In 1964, when the A4s were running in Scotland, some of my Cestrian railway enthusiast mates (we'd grown out of trainspotting by then) went on a week's tour north of the Border. To see A4s for the first time, and I was invited, but declined; having seen these great locos at Lincoln Road crossing, Gamston, Retford, Botany Bay, Doncaster, Selby, York, Thirsk and Darlington, running on an ex-Caledonian route just didn't seem right. What a fool, because I missed seeing the Scottish A2s and the variety of 0-6-0s still then running in Scotland. Ah well, we live with our regrets.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm afraid the solution to getting it to run through your curves is to remove those prominent front steps. Many SR locos have this problem.

I'm afraid that you are probably right!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I'm afraid that you are probably right!

Tony

A couple of suggestions;

Plan A: Replace the thick cast steps with thinner etched brass, and mount them a millimetre further out than they should be. Comet LMS tender steps are a good starting point for SR front loco steps. That should probably be sufficient to get the loco round  30-inch curves, and only the most avid perfectionist is likely to spot it. Adding a gentle self-centering spring to the pony truck will further assist. 

Plan B: If that doesn't work, or for tighter curves, try fixing the steps to the pony truck. Cue howls of anguish from said perfectionist, but at typical layout viewing distances, it will go unnoticed by the casual observer surprisingly often.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Here are a few from me, featuring the two panniers and the BR Standard Class 2 2-6-2T that I bought from Tony from the Peter Lawson collection. There are other locos, but the layout isn't up at the moment, so I'd rather pose them in a scenic setting. However, I may be able to take a few photos on a friends layout in a few days.

20240314_111511.jpg.fde591d4a553cf18b20547d5a9c95258.jpg

20240314_111319.jpg.492c6f4aa1c794d8ea4eaf8b9080a1e5.jpg

20240330_103504.jpg.8cf25a200a6874388f0c734190c467e5.jpg

The two panniers have been renumbered since I bought them.

20240411_141658.jpg.57a79480f204b4265fa2fa411aab08f3.jpg

20240411_141743.jpg.c3a99216dacb251130463003ac305f3e.jpg

These are truly lovely locos to own and operate, well built, good runners and nicely weathered.

Thanks Captain.

As you say, lovely!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

The challenge for any WR train using RTR is the dining car. Even prestige trains like the Bristolian used ex GWR dining cars for some time. Mk 1 diners came late to the western.

The only RTR ex GWR diner has incorrect windows for BR days as the Hornby H33 was rebuilt with Mk 1 type windows in the late 1930's, but the Hornby model is in as built condition.

Swindon fitted Pullman gangway adapters to many GWR diners to couple with mark 1's as most ex GWR were rebuilt from postwar and into the 1950's there was no rush to replace them with BR built diners with many lasting until the early 1960's in front line service. Note there was never a Hawksworth style diner as the newly rebuilt 30's diners were like new, when the Hawksworth corridor stock came along.

Mike Wiltshire

The WR had the five Diag 16 kitchen firsts from 1952 but they were unpopular on the region. They received the first production batch of Mark 1 catering cars in 1957, unclassed restaurants (RU), including some in chocolate and cream, which went into named trains such as The Torbay Express, Capitals United Express, Pembroke Coast Express and Cambrian Coast Express. Other named trains, such as the Cornish Riviera and Bristolian retained GWR designs much longer. I agree that the lack of a decent GWR design dining car is a serious omission from RTR ranges.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/06/2024 at 09:55, Tony Wright said:

Carrying on with the topic of BR prototype trains (and I wrote an article on such matters for BRM many years ago), I wonder how many could be made-up (in OO) today using solely RTR vehicles? 

Prior to Bachmann's introduction of its BR Mk.1s (30 years ago?) it would have been impossible, but not now. As mentioned, I formed the morning 'Talisman' completely (and accurately) using these new cars, writing about it in BRM at the time. Yes, new couplings, replacement wheelsets, concertina gangways, removal of the awful roof ribs and a little weathering were essentials, but nothing dramatic. 

06MorningTalisman60034.jpg.3cec3fbe994d49b4f7153e732c105c9b.jpg

I even used a modified Bachmann A4 on its front (altered/detailed body, SEF tender and an Ian Rathbone paint job), but the lousy split chassis did just that - split! I thus built an SEF chassis for it, as seen above. 

It's been my privilege to photograph Shap on a couple of occasions (the WCML's equivalent to Stoke Summit in model form?), and Graham Nicholas has certainly exploited Bachmann Mk.1s to good advantage; to form the core of trains such as..........

Shap214Coronation46245onDownCaledonian.jpg.334254d31a5691f6c887d9be00cbbe67.jpg

'The Caledonian', hauled by CITY OF LONDON (DJH/Wright/Haynes), but not carrying the headboard on this occasion. What the origins of the two ex-LMS cars in the formation are, I don't know.

Shap22346224onUpRoyalScot.jpg.e5e87a52095a1c44aa6f92627076c766.jpg

Shap225JubileepassingTheRoyalScot.jpg.7c587ebd014a6d0ddccde21b3e67410c.jpg

And the 'Royal Scot' (all Bachmann MK.1s?). 

Could other Regions' trains be made-up from Bachmann's Mk.1s?

Regarding the ER/NER/ScR ones, most of 'The Flying Scotsman' and (all?) 'The Heart of Midlothian' perhaps? 

Bytham's 'Flying Scotsman' is made-up almost entirely from Bachmann Mk.1s, the exception being the Thompson SK with ladies' retiring room.

600070nDownFlyingScotsman.jpg.e1affe078861366368a1fe8a8f143c4a.jpg

60010onDownFlyingScotsman02.jpg.255749aa437ef15183723fd54df0b686.jpg

60156onDownFlyingScotsman02.jpg.a6f4db6dff1b05c00d308f369b156b59.jpg

A22onDownFlyingScotsman.jpg.872ae5673d60dce6603291d054eec3da.jpg

I vary the locos hauling it, and occasionally vehicles in the train.

I thinks Andy Sparkes' 'Heart of Midlothian'............

prototypetrains03.jpg.49a92f685f8301e1f82dc063125e5692.jpg

Is made-up mainly of Bachmann Mk.1s.

Though Stoke Summit's HoM............

60017onDownHeartofMidlothian.jpg.7d6c45751865bee4795f0d02f79f20ce.jpg

Was made-up entirely from Southern Pride Mk.1s (built by Dave Lewis from his own kits). 

What about the likes of the WR's 'Bristolian' or the SR's 'Royal Wessex'? Could they be formed from Bachmann (and/or Hornby) Mk.1s. Has anyone made these trains? 

The first Bachmann Mark 1s appeared in 1999, so 25 years ago. With their forthcoming BSO, RB and FO (all types recently done less well by Hornby), it will be possible to model many more expresses of the late BR steam and early diesel eras just with Bachmann RTR stock, but there are still some significant omissions, such as the full kitchen car, restaurant second open, restaurant first (Diag 17) and kitchen buffet (Diag 25). Lots of expresses retained pre-nationalisation catering cars into the 1960s. On the ECML, most of the remaining ones were seen off by the final batch of Mark 1 RUs, E1959-91, which had Commonwealth bogies.

The production Mark 1 catering cars did not appear until 1957 (1960 in the case of the RB), so missed out on the crimson and cream era. Only the small batches built in 1951-2 (ten Diag 700 RK, five Diag 16 RF and accompanying open dining cars) plus the 1956 prototype RU carried crimson and cream.

As an aside, a colour photo of the prototype RU in crimson and cream has recently appeared in print, taken by Michael Mensing in 1959 and in the new RCTS colour album of his work (Vol 2).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

31 minutes ago, russell price said:

Would anyone know the make up of the Cambrian Coast Express in the50s/ 60s especially the portions that ran west of Shrewsbury?

Try this. It lists the formations on departure from Paddington.

In the early 1960s, the Autobuffet was added at Shrewsbury and ran to Aberystwyth. At busy times, carriages for local traffic were added to the Pwllheli portion along the Cambrian Coast. Summer Saturday workings were different. 

Edited by robertcwp
Add a bit.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

The first Bachmann Mark 1s appeared in 1999, so 25 years ago. With their forthcoming BSO, RB and FO (all types recently done less well by Hornby), it will be possible to model many more expresses of the late BR steam and early diesel eras just with Bachmann RTR stock, but there are still some significant omissions, such as the full kitchen car, restaurant second open, restaurant first (Diag 17) and kitchen buffet (Diag 25).

Since there were only about a dozen of them and they were only used on the few top-link services that had enough diners to justify them, I couldn't see many modellers being interested.  Then I remembered how many models of the prototype BR diesels have been sold, despite most of them having very restricted areas and periods of operation.  Sometimes people will just buy one because it's available and if they have a layout to run it, Rule One is applied as necessary......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

A couple of suggestions;

Plan A: Replace the thick cast steps with thinner etched brass, and mount them a millimetre further out than they should be. Comet LMS tender steps are a good starting point for SR front loco steps. That should probably be sufficient to get the loco round  30-inch curves, and only the most avid perfectionist is likely to spot it. Adding a gentle self-centering spring to the pony truck will further assist. 

Plan B: If that doesn't work, or for tighter curves, try fixing the steps to the pony truck. Cue howls of anguish from said perfectionist, but at typical layout viewing distances, it will go unnoticed by the casual observer surprisingly often.

John

Thanks John

As you may imagine, several attempts have already been made to clear this issue but I will certainly look at your helpful suggestions and see if these will make sufficient difference as to resolve the problem.

Tony

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Since there were only about a dozen of them and they were only used on the few top-link services that had enough diners to justify them, I couldn't see many modellers being interested.  Then I remembered how many models of the prototype BR diesels have been sold, despite most of them having very restricted areas and periods of operation.  Sometimes people will just buy one because it's available and if they have a layout to run it, Rule One is applied as necessary......

There were 41 kitchen cars of three diagrams but only Diag 702 made it as far as blue/grey. 

• Informative/Useful 2

A question for you, Tony- or for any of your fine friends, in fact.

I'm in the market to adding a fourth Gresley A1/A3 to my personal roster, for my ever in-the-planning-stages pre-War LNER (roughly 1936-early 1939) layout; at present I have Royal Lancer, Gladiateur, and Humorist. I'm currently considering getting a second hand FS and renumbering and renaming to one of the others of the class, but I don't have the knowledge or any particular preference for which it might become, so I thought I'd open the floor to suggestions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robertcwp said:

The WR had the five Diag 16 kitchen firsts from 1952 but they were unpopular on the region. They received the first production batch of Mark 1 catering cars in 1957, unclassed restaurants (RU), including some in chocolate and cream, which went into named trains such as The Torbay Express, Capitals United Express, Pembroke Coast Express and Cambrian Coast Express. Other named trains, such as the Cornish Riviera and Bristolian retained GWR designs much longer. I agree that the lack of a decent GWR design dining car is a serious omission from RTR ranges.

Good morning Robert,

I recall a day's spotting at Temple Meads in about 1961. A Warship arrived on the Down 'Bristolian', composed of a complete rake of BR Mk.1s, all in chocolate/cream, apart from the catering car; which was in maroon. Looking back, I doubt if I'd identified it, but was it probably ex-GWR? 

The main memory of the day is the number of announcements apologising for the late arrival of trains due to 'locomotive failure'. They should have been qualified by the use of 'diesel'! One express arrived with a gleaming Warship on the front; except it wasn't exactly at the front. It came in behind the dirtiest County I'd ever seen!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NZRedBaron said:

A question for you, Tony- or for any of your fine friends, in fact.

I'm in the market to adding a fourth Gresley A1/A3 to my personal roster, for my ever in-the-planning-stages pre-War LNER (roughly 1936-early 1939) layout; at present I have Royal Lancer, Gladiateur, and Humorist. I'm currently considering getting a second hand FS and renumbering and renaming to one of the others of the class, but I don't have the knowledge or any particular preference for which it might become, so I thought I'd open the floor to suggestions.

Good morning,

If you buy a second-hand FLYING SCOTSMAN, make note of its tender. She had a GNR tender from new until 1928 (apart from the K3 tender attached for the Empire Exhibition), when she got a corridor tender. This was kept until 1936, when a GNR type was reattached. This was retained until 1938, when a streamlined non-corridor type was coupled, which accompanied her to withdrawal in 1963 (that tender then going behind LORD FARINGDON). Throughout all these tender changes, she was an A1, only becoming an A3 in 1947. By 1938, any corridor tenders were behind A4s. 

Thus, whichever tender the SH model comes with will dictate your choice for renumbering. Chapter and verse will be given in the RCTS Part 2A, the Irwell Book on the A1s/A3s and the appropriate Yeadon.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

That's fair enough; I admit, I'd been looking on TMC, and was half tempted by a cheap Book Law I saw there; but then I saw that there's apparently a lot of horror stories about models of that engine having an incredibly shoddy build quality.

Nothing wrong with the build quality if you find one with a straight running plate.   A lot of them had a pronounced droop towards the front (I think due to faulty assembly).   I have one on Grantham which was fine and another which awaits a rebody, but both run as well as any others.

The NRM special edition Flying Scotsman models, in my (probably limited) experience seem to be better quality than main range ones and were the only way to get a 1930s condition A3 until Book Law appeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1