Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I once saw two N2s on The Gresley Beat displaying the same number!  

Not a pretty engine but there is something attractive about the N2's purposeful design (and that is a wonderful photo of one entering where, Alexandra Palace?).  I have both an Airfix and Hornby one somewhere; I can't recall how they run but considering what contemporary Hornby or Lima RTR steam locos were at the time, the Airfix N2 was superb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I once saw two N2s on The Gresley Beat displaying the same number!  

Not a pretty engine but there is something attractive about the N2's purposeful design (and that is a wonderful photo of one entering where, Alexandra Palace?).  I have both an Airfix and Hornby one somewhere; I can't recall how they run but considering what contemporary Hornby or Lima RTR steam locos were at the time, the Airfix N2 was superb.

Good afternoon Rob,

Now Alexandra Palace, but at the time the picture was taken (early-'50s) Wood Green. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've probably mentioned this before, but I live in dread of someone bringing along a loco I built years ago.

Many years ago, anything from my 'formative years' in modelling was either thrown away, given away or, if I were extremely lucky, sold. 

Now, when John Brown of Spalding MRC died some years ago, I was asked on behalf of his family to sell his collection of locos. John was not a builder himself, but either commissioned locos or bought kit-built ones. In digging around for N1s and N2s, this image also appeared in a folder.............

D21.jpg.be6961d6d6a483e550cded2677b7d810.jpg

It's a GEM ex-NER D21 mounted on a Tri-ang L1 chassis. How do I know this? Because I built/painted it! 

I made it well over 50 years ago, kept it out of no more than curiosity, then, after at least a decade and a half, sold it to Modellers Mecca in Wall Heath. Whether John bought it from there, I have no idea, but he obviously acquired it from somewhere. And, amazingly, back it came to me. 

I immediately sold it on (for £75.00, I think) to a very satisfied fellow (though I didn't tell him I made it). 

It's not very good is it? In mitigation, I was only just starting to build locos when I made this (it was glued together!!!!!), but what a coincidence? 

Ah, the joys of the locomotives for the L1 chassis! The Midland Compound, 999 class and the 3P too - and a NBR Glen, iirc, although I never built one - all very much "of their time" and also very much a compromise. Wheelbase was a big one, of course, the L1 chassis being 10' between the drivers, & the Midland locos only 9'. Having said that, they looked vaguely like their real life counterparts, particularly if Romford wheels were fitted, and when viewed on their own, as opposed to being parked next to a more accurately scaled model, they could look OK.

They also probably got many folk into kitbuilding, as there was no perceived "dark art" of chassis building to do as part of the construction process.

Mark

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Ah, the joys of the locomotives for the L1 chassis! The Midland Compound, 999 class and the 3P too - and a NBR Glen, iirc, although I never built one - all very much "of their time" and also very much a compromise. Wheelbase was a big one, of course, the L1 chassis being 10' between the drivers, & the Midland locos only 9'.

Not quite so bad as that - the Midland Belpaire, Compound, and 990 Class were all 9' 6" wheelbase - so 2 mm out not 4 mm - assuming that the Triang chassis was to scale! (Is it actually 1 9/16" or even 1 1/2"? The Jinty chassis is 1 7/32" + 1 9/32", i.e. 2 1/2" overall.)

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not quite so bad as that - the Midland Belpaire, Compound, and 990 Class were all 9' 6" wheelbase - so 2 mm out not 4 mm - assuming that the Triang chassis was to scale! (Is it actually 1 9/16" or even 1 1/2"? The Jinty chassis is 1 7/32" + 1 9/32", i.e. 2 1/2" overall.)

Loving the mixing of units of measurement there, Stephen!

Yes, I wasn't quite spot on with the numbers, but the gist of the point still stands. Look at some of the other oddities we used - the Triang Jinty chassis you mention is a good one; no way was it even approaching the Midland's 8' x 8'6" wheelbase, and yet it was an accepted mechanism for the Wills' 4F & Flatiron, plus indeed their J39, as well as offerings representative of other, lesser, railways 😋.

Others - the Triang 3MT chassis was used for the Wills Crab, for example. Britannia chassis for the Wills Peppercorn A2 is another. The list goes on.

We've come a long way in 50 years 😎

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Done deliberately to emphasise that Triang's engineers were working in imperial units. I've not tried measuring up a body to see if it's been designed in multiples of 1/32" or maybe 1/64".

But anyone who models in 2 mm/ft, 4 mm/ft, or 7 mm/ft is surely perfectly at home with mixed units! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Yes, I wasn't quite spot on with the numbers, but the gist of the point still stands. Look at some of the other oddities we used - the Triang Jinty chassis you mention is a good one; no way was it even approaching the Midland's 8' x 8'6" wheelbase, and yet it was an accepted mechanism for the Wills' 4F & Flatiron, plus indeed their J39, as well as offerings representative of other, lesser, railways 😋.

Others - the Triang 3MT chassis was used for the Wills Crab, for example. Britannia chassis for the Wills Peppercorn A2 is another. The list goes on.

We've come a long way in 50 years 😎

Mark

We have indeed, Mark!

And, as an illustration............

60532chassis01.jpg.bd3f2af842a2ed5ea5eb4bb6415ef388.jpg

60532chassis02.jpg.823ab0f5e557e09dc6c67df4833d89e8.jpg

I did just what you've mentioned - used a Tri-ang Britannia chassis as the basic mechanism for the Wills A2 I built, more than 50 years ago! 

Frames bushed (including the gear wheel), motion by Jamieson and a bit of scratch-building, and there you go.

A260532Wills.jpg.e67dd444b52c9e1554abb01f4c536ef0.jpg

Still running after all this time!

6053260526.jpg.c1f6afd46b427a45d92a2278e4a2bfba.jpg

Almost 50 years separate this pair. I built 60526 (now running on its EM frames on Retford) from a DJH kit, and Geoff Haynes painted her.

A2chassis.jpg.f32978cefeb894d7ed4d3c6c29906574.jpg

Her chassis is in rather a different league, of course. 

That said, over 50 years ago I couldn't be sure of my chassis-building capabilities and fitted the likes of a Tri-ang 2-6-2 chassis underneath a Wills K3 (ugh!), though I 'graduated' a little by fitting Romford wheels onto the Tri-ang Jinty chassis underneath a BEC J11 and a Wills J39. As you intimate, at least they were good runners.

Finally,

Tri-angBritanniachassisblock.jpg.3571ba07f40aeb203dc00917a50034ae.jpg

At the Sleaford show yesterday, a friend handed over this Tri-ang Britannia chassis block. It had come in a 'box of EM bits' he'd acquired (though how it got there........?). It had a dead short, quickly cured by removing a pair of steel track pins jammed between the insulated drivers and the frame magnets (for Magnadesion). It's still a bit 'whiskery' but it now runs well. It's got to be worth a fiver!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I find it funny when I read this thread when, people state they made something 50 years ago and it seems like an eon ago, then I realise that I'm only 5 years away from 50, therefore I am slowly getting old. 🤪

• Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

Ah, the joys of the locomotives for the L1 chassis! The Midland Compound, 999 class and the 3P too - and a NBR Glen, iirc, although I never built one - all very much "of their time" and also very much a compromise. Wheelbase was a big one, of course, the L1 chassis being 10' between the drivers, & the Midland locos only 9'. Having said that, they looked vaguely like their real life counterparts, particularly if Romford wheels were fitted, and when viewed on their own, as opposed to being parked next to a more accurately scaled model, they could look OK.

They also probably got many folk into kitbuilding, as there was no perceived "dark art" of chassis building to do as part of the construction process.

Mark

I still have my L1, first loco I was bought in my own right for my thirteenth birthday, up until that point I had used my brothers. I hung onto it because at one time you could get a Jaycraft Claud body for it though I never acquired one and now have the Hornby model running on Gibson wheels, a lovely model.

Martyn

• Like 6

9 hours ago, 45568 said:

Colwick's 69552 dozes quietly between duties in the mid-1950s.

SAM_0280(2).JPG.21144c1af2ee953c562ceb3e724cfabd.JPG

Hornby model converted to lhd.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter c.

Interesting - what did the conversion involve, please?

1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

Interesting - what did the conversion involve, please?

I actually followed an article in MRJ which was printed many years ago! I would recommend following/contacting Steve 31A, and his conversion as shown earlier in this topic above. He described the full process a lot more recently on RMWeb!

Basically, the condensing pipes are removed, and the ejector pipe swapped from right to left, along with other detailing. I note from the picture I have not put lamp irons on the front, I must revisit this soon.

Sorry not to be of more help, I think that like me you are modelling Nottingham and its environs, (in my case very loosely!). Colwick seemed to have a great choice of motive power in the 1950s

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 02/06/2024 at 16:50, mullie said:

I still have my L1, first loco I was bought in my own right for my thirteenth birthday, up until that point I had used my brothers. I hung onto it because at one time you could get a Jaycraft Claud body for it though I never acquired one and now have the Hornby model running on Gibson wheels, a lovely model.

Martyn

I picked up a model Claud at a swapmeet 30+ years ago.  I have always thought it was a cut-down B12 body mounted on a L1 chassis so would be interested to learn more about the Jaycraft model.

32 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I picked up a model Claud at a swapmeet 30+ years ago.  I have always thought it was a cut-down B12 body mounted on a L1 chassis so would be interested to learn more about the Jaycraft model.

I think the Jaycraft models date from the 80s, I think there was also a J19 body available.  I don't have the Claud body anymore, against the Hornby model there is no comparison. 

Here is my Hornby model with Gibson wheels and in EM. E2524 was a Great Yarmouth loco.

20230611_152738.jpg.d79a74b2ed773e3beabe9185e372d5d3.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, mullie said:

I think the Jaycraft models date from the 80s, I think there was also a J19 body available. 

There was indeed, I think I paid £2 for this body at a swapmeet <ahem> years ago.  It fits over the standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis of the era and goes with a B12 tender.

IMG_5562.JPG.883eeec680509dac2113963ab2e1d025.JPG

It'll need a cast chimney and new smokebox door handles to replace the (chipped) moulded ones.  I really should build this, a nice cheap way to teach myself handrail fitting and practice painting and numbering if nothing else. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

G'Day Folks

Going back to the N1, here's mine, made out of a Hornby N2, most of the N1 is inside the N2, except the cab, chimney and dome.

Terry (aka manna)

DSCF1619.jpg

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Today was another of Bytham's monthly running sessions. Over time, I thought I'd improved my operating ability, but not today. I think Geoff West and I can state it was pretty abysmal. 

All trains were run, of course, but my inability to set the right roads and flick the right switches rendered the operation 'interesting'. Fortunately, David Rae and George Stevenson brought some operating stability with them in the afternoon. Thanks chaps, all three of you. 

Things weren't helped by a sticky point motor (a SEEP, as expected, though one of the Fulgurex point motors on the scenic section has ceased to function - fortunately it's one on the rarely-used long crossover, so doesn't hamper the main running) and two inexplicable derailments - in sets which have run hundreds of times without fuss or failure! 

David brought along a couple of locos of interest....................

DavidRaeCDCDesignCaley0-4-4T01.jpg.ca83d7fbdea21ed6725e83a0974ee07e.jpg

DavidRaeCDCDesignCaley0-4-4T02.jpg.d002866d6d9a61f468c26f3211a1e04e.jpg

A CDC Design 3D-printed ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T mounted on a Tri-ang M7 chassis. He painted the body. The crude wheels meant it could only be placed on Bytham's track for photography. 

Nu-CastStanier3P2-6-2T01.jpg.6b26ce7c9ba755f91e543341a608f6aa.jpg

Nu-CastStanier3P2-6-2T02.jpg.d0cdc62cc18368f51f401582bef15e52.jpg

And a Nu-Cast Stanier 2-6-2T (builder/painter unknown). It ran really well.

I'm told that these are now sought-after. 

MainlineBRStandard44-6-0.jpg.94ad6046a8cf18d66ec5055ecabdb47c.jpg

Finally, David is donating this Mainline Standard 4 4-6-0 for sale on behalf of CRUK. 

It's a non-runner (the typical split-chassis failings), but the body/tender are in good order. 

I'll be selling it (and other similar things) at the Ruddington show later this month. 

I wonder if low usage is the reason behind that scenic point motor not working properly? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, mullie said:

I think the Jaycraft models date from the 80s, I think there was also a J19 body available.  I don't have the Claud body anymore, against the Hornby model there is no comparison. 

Here is my Hornby model with Gibson wheels and in EM. E2524 was a Great Yarmouth loco.

20230611_152738.jpg.d79a74b2ed773e3beabe9185e372d5d3.jpg

I really wish that somebody made a kit or rtr version of the earlier (and imho much more elegant) D14 and D15 Clauds, but the D16s are the only ones that get any attention.

At least the GER society and the NRM having drawings makes scratch building those fine locomotives much easier, unlike in America, where you have to know the right person who just so happens to have the only copy of the drawings to a particular loco!  

British modelling is thankfully so much less of a obstacle course of tasks due to the availability of drawings!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

I really wish that somebody made a kit or rtr version of the earlier (and imho much more elegant) D14 and D15 Clauds, but the D16s are the only ones that get any attention.

At least the GER society and the NRM having drawings makes scratch building those fine locomotives much easier, unlike in America, where you have to know the right person who just so happens to have the only copy of the drawings to a particular loco!  

British modelling is thankfully so much less of a obstacle course of tasks due to the availability of drawings!

I believe their maybe the possibility of a D16/2 to fit the Hornby chassis as a brass kit, I have heard rumours. 

I'd like a D15 in original condition,  a few just made it into the 50s.

Martyn 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1