Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Evertonian said:

Like David (Landscapes)  has remarked I never tire of watching Tony's big

locos speeding long. expresses tbrough LB, I just wish that Tony in his short

trousers days had been attracted to the de!ights of Swindon and copper 

capped engines however !!

Chris Knight

Hi Chris

I my trainspotting days in the early 1960’s living in London I had the advantage of seeing locomotives from all four regions and I must admit and I don’t know why but the GWR locomotives were always the ones I was least interested in seeing, LNER and Southern being my favourites.

That was back in the days of steam, I would give my right arm now to see regular GWR Steam running on the network.

And it’s all the more ironic that I have lived in Swindon for almost forty years.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just one small nit-pick, Tony. 34051 was never knighted to match its illustrious namesake. 🙂

John

Possibly a good thing, being about the worst of the bunch.   Only retained for one obvious purpose. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I've just watched the LB video, and 3 things stand out for me:

1. Absolutely marvelous soundtrack, far better than DCC sound ever is.

2 Superb riding quality of trains on the track

3. A small complaint - the WD freight was going too fast.

and 4. a question? The red tail lamp on the WD freight - never seen one of those before?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And, there were few locations in the country as exciting as Basingstoke, particularly with a re-built 'MN' screaming through! 

I couldn't agree more! Spiced up further by the regular appearance of WR loco's and the occasional LM or ER loco. My model of 70D still needs much work but some good progress....

Sorry for the diversion Tony but I liked your reference to Basingstoke as an exciting location, I thought so back in the early 1960's.

IMG_7535.JPG.ee14dcb8371dc1043421704fc3e4cea0.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

With 4 trains rattling past all at the same time, you would think the dozy so and so at the end of the platform would have lifted his camera up to take a photo.

I once saw two trains running through Stainforth and Hatfield side by side and it was quite exciting. It was in the 1970s and from memory it involved a Class 37 and a 47. The platform was vibrating as if there was an earthquake. I don't think I ever saw three or four running like that at the same location but it must have happened from time to time. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

With 4 trains rattling past all at the same time, you would think the dozy so and so at the end of the platform would have lifted his camera up to take a photo.

I once saw two trains running through Stainforth and Hatfield side by side and it was quite exciting. It was in the 1970s and from memory it involved a Class 37 and a 47. The platform was vibrating as if there was an earthquake. I don't think I ever saw three or four running like that at the same location but it must have happened from time to time. 

Ooh I get the 69-thousanth reply to this thread if I'm quick....

On my regular commute it is not unusual as we approach Woking on the up slow, to be overtaken by another train on the up fast while within 10-20 seconds two trains have passed on the down fast and slow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Ooh I get the 69-thousanth reply to this thread if I'm quick....

On my regular commute it is not unusual as we approach Woking on the up slow, to be overtaken by another train on the up fast while within 10-20 seconds two trains have passed on the down fast and slow.

I never saw the commuter services in that part of the world myself but I have seen some of the videos of places like Waterloo or Clapham Junction with quite a few trains moving at the same time.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just one small nit-pick, Tony. 34051 was never knighted to match its illustrious namesake. 🙂

John

Thanks John,

Of course, I've forgotten. 

Since corrected...........

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Good evening Tony,

'you would think the dozy so and so at the end of the platform would have lifted his camera up to take a photo.'

While I agree the epithet is perfect, there is actually no need to lift the camera up 'I'm' holding. Have you never used a twin lens reflex camera? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I've just watched the LB video, and 3 things stand out for me:

1. Absolutely marvelous soundtrack, far better than DCC sound ever is.

2 Superb riding quality of trains on the track

3. A small complaint - the WD freight was going too fast.

and 4. a question? The red tail lamp on the WD freight - never seen one of those before?

Good evening Stewart,

Thanks for your kind comments. The superb track is, of course, because it was made/laid by the peerless Norman Solomon (though I wired it!). 

Had that WD-hauled freight been running on the ex-GC, it would have been going at the right speed, but, you're right, it is too fast. That said, a phenomenon of videoing I've found is that, in the moving footage, trains always appear to be going faster than to the naked eye.

And, I think the red tail lamp (red body, that is) has been nicked from the WR.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Tomorrow, Chris Walsh and I finish the final LB sequence editing, with my voice-over being added as appropriate - not too much; I don't want to drown out the wonderfully-natural mechanical noises of the trains. Real ones in some cases! And, I've no wish to induce somnolence.

I should be able to put it on here later in the week, inviting, I hope, constructive criticism (please). 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Tony,

'you would think the dozy so and so at the end of the platform would have lifted his camera up to take a photo.'

While I agree the epithet is perfect, there is actually no need to lift the camera up 'I'm' holding. Have you never used a twin lens reflex camera? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I couldn't see what sort of camera it is Tony. I never had anything that posh.

Could you really take pictures without even looking down at the camera, gazing into space? Very clever. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I couldn't see what sort of camera it is Tony. I never had anything that posh.

Could you really take pictures without even looking down at the camera, gazing into space? Very clever. 

Good morning Tony,

I held the pose as if it were the twin lens reflex I used. 

One held the camera (a Rollieflex - I was posh!) at waist level and just looked down at the screen. In fact, once set up, one could gaze into space and actually observe the train, pressing the shutter at the right time. I used to take a point of reference (say a lineside object), and the moment the loco passed it, fire the shutter, without even looking down. Very clever? Hardly, not where I'm concerned. In fact, it was easier to take a picture that way, because the image was reversed on the screen (not inverted, as with a plate camera). 

I wonder where that camera is now?

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
15 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Afternoon All

Just thought I would show the two DJH A3s that I have now completed. It has been a pleasure building these kits , and for me the two locos went together quiet quick ( about three months )

The Brit and WD were bought off eBay , they required a fair bit of work but I’m well pleased with the results . 

Highlight of my train spotting days , Doncaster station in 62/63 plenty of steam about. But for me as a ten year old , it was the roar of a Deltic on the though road that captivated me 

E309BCD7-1E8E-432F-A85D-625EBBE9D839.jpeg

Lovely stuff. The only thing - and I wouldn't mention it, had I not been caught out myself by it - are the deflectors on the A3 far enough forward? 

image.png.004709d72fd1221830e344b712ccc918.png

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/40/d9/35/40d9358cd51d20ff75ab3f71449a0e7b.jpg 

Otherwise it looks most excellent. I do like that shade of green. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Lovely stuff. The only thing - and I wouldn't mention it, had I not been caught out myself by it - are the deflectors on the A3 far enough forward? 

image.png.004709d72fd1221830e344b712ccc918.png

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/40/d9/35/40d9358cd51d20ff75ab3f71449a0e7b.jpg 

Otherwise it looks most excellent. I do like that shade of green. 

Thank you , I think they are right , perhaps it’s the angle of the photo. The paint I use is good old Phoenix / Precision

Then again looking at it , your right . I do have one job left to do that’s adding the Doncaster works plate , I’ll move them forward to match the two other A3s  I have which have them . I picked 60074 because it was never fitted with them , just for the different variation .

Edited by D.Platt
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

I held the pose as if it were the twin lens reflex I used. 

One held the camera (a Rollieflex - I was posh!) at waist level and just looked down at the screen. In fact, once set up, one could gaze into space and actually observe the train, pressing the shutter at the right time. I used to take a point of reference (say a lineside object), and the moment the loco passed it, fire the shutter, without even looking down. Very clever? Hardly, not where I'm concerned. In fact, it was easier to take a picture that way, because the image was reversed on the screen (not inverted, as with a plate camera). 

I wonder where that camera is now?

Regards,

Tony.  

I know where mine is, in a case in the shed with all the other pre-digital cameras. I remember thinking that digital stuff will never catch on ... until I actually got one.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Thank you , I think they are right , perhaps it’s the angle of the photo. The paint I use is good old Phoenix / Precision

Then again looking at it , your right . I do have one job left to do that’s adding the Doncaster works plate , I’ll move them forward to match the two other A3s  I have which have them . I picked 60074 because it was never fitted with them , just for the different variation .

I think they are a bit too far back........

As a guide, when seen in side elevation, the front of the German deflectors should be a tiny bit behind the straight edge of the footplate, and their rears should be ahead of the first lined band. 

Like these..............

1049770779_Germandeflectors01.jpg.575bfedac5a332c30631b16f18447ac8.jpg

1255755765_Germandeflectors03.jpg.ac35a7967995bff84e31d37440eed4b7.jpg

309549400_Germandeflectors02.jpg.eac3bc20836b8849bd8921ac863aab02.jpg

And, in model form....

819442550_testrunningA360080.jpg.eaf7aafe6030b27b278c0a5b82891fa0.jpg

This was travelling too quickly for me to 'freeze' it - the Rollie's shutter wasn't fast enough!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think they are a bit too far back........

As a guide, when seen in side elevation, the front of the German deflectors should be a tiny bit behind the straight edge of the footplate, and their rears should be ahead of the first lined band. 

Like these..............

1049770779_Germandeflectors01.jpg.575bfedac5a332c30631b16f18447ac8.jpg

1255755765_Germandeflectors03.jpg.ac35a7967995bff84e31d37440eed4b7.jpg

309549400_Germandeflectors02.jpg.eac3bc20836b8849bd8921ac863aab02.jpg

And, in model form....

819442550_testrunningA360080.jpg.eaf7aafe6030b27b278c0a5b82891fa0.jpg

This was travelling too quickly for me to 'freeze' it - the Rollie's shutter wasn't fast enough!

Regards,

Tony. 

I've plenty of A3's. I shouldn't be shown more...

• Like 2